PDA

View Full Version : Noise Laws at Mojave

CBLavey
03-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Has anyone been checked at Mojave, more specifically at Katherine's for the new noise restrictions? I know that there's been activity at Havasu but we do most of our boating on Mojave. I've got a 6.2 w/E.M.I. exhaust which exits below the water at idle. Anyone been tested with a similar set-up. I have not installed mufflers - yet.

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2005, 09:08 PM
If it's below the water at idle...no worries anywhere.

BigDoug
03-31-2005, 09:36 PM
I was there this last weekend and little hot rod jet boats with over the transom headers are launching there plus the big bot boats, no problem with anyone checking... :D

CBLavey
03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Look for my boat out there as that is where I can be seen for weeks at a time on Mohave. Chances are in the PM you can find me in GA.
Tom[/QUOTE]
What type of boat? Graphics....?

voodoomedman
04-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Has anyone been checked at Mojave, more specifically at Katherine's for the new noise restrictions? I know that there's been activity at Havasu but we do most of our boating on Mojave. I've got a 6.2 w/E.M.I. exhaust which exits below the water at idle. Anyone been tested with a similar set-up. I have not installed mufflers - yet.
Don't worry you will be fine even at Havasu. You don't have a huge engine and your tips are below the water line. I just got tested at the LHC Marina on tuesday with a 496 Mag below the waterline and came out a 74. They saw 74 and turned it off and said have a nice day. These guys are usually doing wrong to show higher readings. You have a smaller engine than me so don't worry.

Beer-30
05-31-2005, 10:06 AM
Just an update. I launched at Katherine's on Friday and the rangers were right behind me! I was afraid to light it off, but had no choice. I had the mufflers with me, so I could have popped them on if they stopped me, but they never even turned my way when I started. Saw them all round the lake, and didn't even get a second look. Tips are above the waterline AND in a swimstep cavern. I figured I would at least get a look or a scowl, but nothing! Launched there two more days with the same result.

AirtimeLavey
05-31-2005, 11:17 AM
I was there Sat. & Sun., and while I decided to put some tips on just to avoid any potential problems (502, below waterline), I saw and heard quite a few loud ones that I'm sure would not have passed (Damn they sounded goood). None were stopped. Of course, being a holiday w/e, they (le) had their hands full w/other things.
I had Perf. Marine in Corona put some Gibson tips on for less than $500. Worth not having to give it a second thought.
We'll be out again this w/e, although I heard it might be kinda crowded w/some troublemakers. :wink:
LE will probably have their hands full, again. :devil:
Actually, I take that back, as I've heard it's just a picnic kinda thing. No big deal. :notam: :cool:

Beer-30
05-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Won't be out there this w/e. I got the clamps because I just can't go forever w/o an uncorked bigblock :rollside: . I played Katherine's by ear (no punn intended), but plan on just throwing them on for Havasu trips. Since they are the picky ones and all.
Sure saw ALOT of Laveys (?). Is Mojave just the popular spot for your MFGr?

voodoomedman
06-04-2005, 10:19 AM
They don't seem to really care about the engine noise on Mojave.
Seems to me to be two reasons.
No Havasu PD or Marina....Basically no Havasu beaurocracy
and second No California Sheriff
They look for things like drinking and driving, kids without life vest etc.
basically the real issues not the bullcrap ones.

Biglue
06-04-2005, 10:22 AM
What's the penalty for no mufflers? I have a 496HO without mufflers. SHould I be worried????

Mohavekid
06-04-2005, 10:25 AM
It's difference between the feds, and state/local enforcement.
Mohave and Mead are part of a national recreation area and are policed by the park service. There are no surrounding homes or people to complain and the area is so big, there is not enough rangers to check for the lesser type violations.
OUI and safety issues, they will deal with you.

phebus
06-04-2005, 10:28 AM
What's the penalty for no mufflers? I have a 496HO without mufflers. SHould I be worried????
The law doesn't state you need mufflers. The 496HO has water injected exhaust that acts as a muffling device. Your boat with the 496HO may pass the noise law without add on mufflers, it just depends on how and where your exhaust exits your boat. Some pass, some don't.

voodoomedman
06-04-2005, 10:34 AM
The law doesn't state you need mufflers. The 496HO has water injected exhaust that acts as a muffling device. Your boat with the 496HO may pass the noise law without add on mufflers, it just depends on how and where your exhaust exits your boat. Some pass, some don't.
I passed at 74 db with a 496 mag below the waterline at Havasu Marina and no mufflers. Of course I am on the bandwagon and will never go back there. They really are a$$holes. If you keep going there you will eventually experience it. I never had a problem until a few weeks ago...

28 Victory
06-04-2005, 10:38 AM
I spoke with rangers in March and none of them even new about any noise laws. They didn't care that I had just installed mufflers that morning.

hotlavey
06-04-2005, 11:22 AM
They ticketed me in 03 for noise at Mead. Cost me $95.00. I was there last year with no mufflers and was never stopped. I run a Whippled HP EFI and now have Zoomers so we'll see what happens this year.

Beer-30
06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
It really seems to come to whether or not your tips are under water at a stand still. Mine are about 4-5" above the waterline at idle. Plus, they are in a molded swimstep echo chamber. I figure my transom is similar to the Commander that ***boat tested earlier this year. It had a stock HO and idled at 91.5 db, I think it was. I know it was 91 something. I am sure mine is somewhere in there, because everytime it lights off, people in the nearest 1/4 mile turns and looks.
Speaking of exhaust, Phebus, does your transom get pretty black after a day of boating? Man, mine seems excessive. Its a real pain to clean off.

Floored
06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
in 1973 I got rousted for 106 db at katherines with a flattie and had slip ins then. never say never!

hotlavey
06-04-2005, 11:26 AM
in 1973 I got rousted for 106 db at katherines with a flattie and had slip ins then. never say never!
They probably ticketed you for looking loud.

phebus
06-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Speaking of exhaust, Phebus, does your transom get pretty black after a day of boating? Man, mine seems excessive. Its a real pain to clean off.
It is better now then it used to be. I think the key is if you use 87 octane, and don't have to idle a lot, you're O.K. I used to be under the misconception that higher octane fuel was better, until I understood the real info on octane.
The more I can run it at throttle the better, it's the low rpm's that really make the transom black.

Beer-30
06-04-2005, 12:15 PM
I figure it's the idle time and low rpm, like you say. I do a lot of that. My crew tends to like that sort of time. I figured I would check with you, since we have the same exact setup - no turbulators and all. Thanks.