PDA

View Full Version : Excceptional Service: Tom Papp Racing

Lightning
04-01-2005, 07:27 AM
I usually do not give praise for good customer services, unless it is exceptional. Tom Papp was recommended to me by a fellow boater. I brought my boat into Tom to have him look at my motor, as it was not running good - I could not figure out what was wrong with it. Turns out that the heads were cracked at the valve seats and I had 70% - 90% leak down on 6 of the 8 cylinders (moral of the story, keep an eye on your temp gauge).
Tom was able to diagnose, tear down, rebuild, get my motor back together, in the boat, water tested, boat detailed, and ready for pickup in 7 weeks. He was usually available on the phone when I called him with any questions or always quick to call me back. His prices and fees are very reasonable and he knows his motors. I will never bring my boat anywhere else if I need to get work done to it. If anyone needs to have any work done on their boat, go see Tom Papp Racing....their service and work ethic are exceptional.

stoker
04-01-2005, 07:34 AM
He is doing two motors for me as we speak. I highly recomendTom, his service is great!

BarryMac
04-01-2005, 08:13 AM
That's awesome Ari, did you have them boost the HP of the Motor? Wonder how fast it will run with the rebuild... Congrats, can't wait to get out on the water with you and your lady...

Hermosa
04-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Glad your boat is back and in running order. 7 weeks sounds like a long time for a simple project like that. How did the motor get so hot, any Ideas?

Lightning
04-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Glad your boat is back and in running order. 7 weeks sounds like a long time for a simple project like that. How did the motor get so hot, any Ideas?
I did not think it was that long, considering all the machine work that need to be done and that the parts were not on the shelf (pistons, heads, rockers, etc..) and needed to be ordered. The motor got that hot because the water intake got plugged up. The boat actually hydro-locked it was so hot.

superdave013
04-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Tom's shop is hoppin everyday. It's not like he is just sitting there waiting for something to come through the door.
I wonder that the turn around time for a shop like DNE is right now? :idea:

MAINEVENT
04-01-2005, 08:48 AM
I too can say that i am very happy with TPR service my dad dropped his boat off for a simple service and had it back in a couple of hours (3 hours and it was done and clean) simple service yes but the place he usually takes it takes 3 to 6 working days :lightsabe My boat is in their right now and i am very pleased and confident that its gonna come out right :D

Lightning
04-01-2005, 08:59 AM
I too can say that i am very happy with TPR service my dad dropped his boat off for a simple service and had it back in a couple of hours (3 hours and it was done and clean) simple service yes but the place he usually takes it takes 3 to 6 working days :lightsabe My boat is in their right now and i am very pleased and confident that its gonna come out right :D
Saw your boat, it looks sweet.

SLOWMAN
04-01-2005, 09:02 AM
I too had some work done by Tom Papp a few years ago... He is the most honest and straight forward person I have met. I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone looking for engine work or an honest opinion.

moneysucker
04-01-2005, 09:32 AM
I too had some work done by Tom Papp a few years ago... He is the most honest and straight forward person I have met. I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone looking for engine work or an honest opinion.
TPR has a great staff and you actually leave happy, That is an un common experience in the boating industry.

GrapeApe
04-01-2005, 09:37 AM
SDMikey uses him for all his Boats, and engine work.. Tom threatened to "kick him in the junk" :D if he bought one more used Boat without having him look at the Motor 1st.. I guess Mike bought one that Grenaded on the 1st trip out...
I have been up there a few times.. He doesnt pull any punches, and seems like a great guy to have work on your Motor..
*** Grape Ape ***

Hermosa
04-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Tom's shop is hoppin everyday. It's not like he is just sitting there waiting for something to come through the door.
I wonder that the turn around time for a shop like DNE is right now? :idea:
I guess you are right, this time of year probably can't help either. Never been to DNE, but I would imagine they are busy too. Lightning, did you opt for anything different from what you had, more Hp or did you stay with what you had?

atomickitn
04-01-2005, 05:48 PM
i agree tom is a very nice guy and realy good ..

Lightning
04-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I guess you are right, this time of year probably can't help either. Never been to DNE, but I would imagine they are busy too. Lightning, did you opt for anything different from what you had, more Hp or did you stay with what you had?
Decided to do Merlin heads, regrind the cam, new carb, roller rockers, etc.. Probably added about 125 hp.

Kwicherbichen
04-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Tom is the only guy I go to. He's always straight with me and never felt I was being gouged in any way shape or form.

LOWRIVER2
04-04-2005, 06:00 AM
No one in the boat repair industry matches Tom's ability to meet the finish deadline date given.