PDA

View Full Version : GMC Tech Question

spectratoad
04-01-2005, 02:01 PM
I have a 2000 GMC Sierra. When I bought it the keyless remote was missing. Bought a new one today but I have to wait until next week for them to program it and I don't know if they will charge me for it or not. :confused:
Can I do this myself or do I need to have someone do it? Just feel kinda weird knowing that someone could do two remotes if they wanted instead of just the one that I bought. I know garage doors you just push a set button and then push the remote button and "walla" done. Is it that easy.
Thanks for the help. :D

dicudmore
04-01-2005, 02:18 PM
on a 2000 the remotes are programmed through the ALDL port with a TechII (scan tool) so no you can't do it yourself.
Only takes a few minutes, every shop sets their own price. If you're a good long time customer there I'd expect them to take care of it for you, if not I wouldn't be surprised to be charged up to 1/2 hr labor. My service dept charges $15

spectratoad
04-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Is there anyway for them to program an extra for themselves? I am probably being paranoid but just a thought. I am going to wait while they do it so I can probably just watch I guess.

dicudmore
04-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Is there anyway for them to program an extra for themselves? I am probably being paranoid but just a thought. I am going to wait while they do it so I can probably just watch I guess.
You can program up to 4 remotes for a car typically. They need to be all programmed at once as each time you enter the program mode in the pcm it will change the "code" so like if you lost a transmitter and got a new one, programmed it, then found the old one, the old one would no longer work.