PDA

View Full Version : Muffler/Sound Law question

SVO 540
04-02-2005, 09:12 AM
First I want to say hello to everyone on the boards. I have been out of touch as of late.
My question: Is the 90db max for BOATs or ENGINEs manufactured after 1/1/03?
My boat is a 2001 so that may require me to meet the 88db max but what if my engine was manufactured in 1992? What if my engine block was a 1992 model but all the parts in it were manufactured in 2001? If the law does look to your engine then who has the burden of proof regarding the year of your engine? Me or the officer? Does anyone have the actual text of the new law to determine if it refers to the boat or engine being manufactured before 1/1/03 to get the 90db max.
I think if it looks to the engine it will be real easy for all the guys with non-mec motors to be able to say their engine block was casted in any year prior to 1993 and get the 2 extra db's at the next sound check.
Any information would be appreciated.

Havasu Hangin'
04-03-2005, 05:41 AM
I don't know if anyone has addressed that subject, yet.

Squirtin Thunder
04-03-2005, 08:55 AM
From reading the info they have a hard enough time getting the testing right we can't confuse them anymore !!! It seems that you will be tested for the hull, boat manufacture date !!! And it is 97 and earlier 90dbs I believe !!! There was a real good write up in Hot Boat a few months ago. It explained alot. And offered different states law.
Jim

Essex502
04-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Just a guess but I'd bet that the LE will use the hull build date (from your registration) as the determining factor. Anyone can claim a motor was built before a certain date and Johnny-law couldn't say one way or another. The hull wouldn't change. Just a guess.

Havasu Hangin'
04-04-2005, 06:15 AM
When I was younger (many moons ago), I had a minitruck with a "non-stock" motor. Whenever I smogged it, it was smogged as a "1969 Nova", because that's what the block ID numbers said.
I don't think the muffler laws stipulate engine date, just hull date?

Essex502
04-04-2005, 06:41 AM
The letter of the Law:
(1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1993, a noise level of 90 dB(A) when subjected to the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice SAE J2005 (Stationary Sound Level Measurement Procedure for Pleasure Motorboats). (2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1993, a noise level of 88 dB(A) when subjected to the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice SAE J2005 (Stationary Sound Level Measurement Procedure for Pleasure Motorboats).
The above states "engines" so I guess if you get a citation you could argue the point in court but that won't help you much if you are ordered off of the lake by LE.

SVO 540
04-04-2005, 01:29 PM
The law clearly refers to the engine manufacture date and not the boat. Any suggestions on how to document or prove the engine manufacture date?

Keith E. Sayre
04-04-2005, 04:05 PM
After speaking with 3 San Bernardino sherriffs, 2 city pds, and the state guys at Windsor, I believe that the whole muffler deal is out of touch with reality.
Not one of those individuals is concerned or worried about noise from engines at the lake. Not one of them. The only one that is making waves is the
gentleman at the launch ramp who clearly has his own ideas about it.
Now I realize that some have been ticketed but these guys all said the same
thing, if you have a loud boat, be cool about it, don't flaunt it and don't be
drinking. that's what they're all very clearly interested in enforcing.
Just my thoughts.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Keith E. Sayre
04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't worry about your engine passing at 88 or 90 or even 190 db!
Baddest sounding boat I've heard in a long time! And all the police know
the boat and they all love it too!
Keith Sayre

Essex502
04-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Keith is absolutely right - for Havasu. The Mohave and Mead areas are NPS and several have been ticketed for excessive noise that wasn't ojectionable to anyone other than being over the dB limit.
The term "gentleman" used to describe the Manager of the Lake Havasu Marina is rather generous, in mine and many others, opinions. The Marina is the ONLY location on the lake where you are continually subjected to an unwarranted restriction - tighter than the noise law in either California or Arizona.

SVO 540
04-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks Keith for the kind words and comments on LE.
I just bought some GGB 4.5 inch clamp on mufflers. I will be testing them out next week in Havasu and will report back on my findings. I tested the boat without mufflers and it was 115db at idle. I had to modify my exhaust so the mufflers will run wet. That will also help reduce the noise. I looked into the Gibson's but the the 4.5 inch clamp on is not available yet.