PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Purchase

RiverIndo
04-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Lookin at some of them rhino's back east. Has anyone in Cali bought from Out of state? If so did the DMV ding ya for sales tax. I was lookin at Altusmotorsports. They said for the green 660 would be 8680 OTD but shipping to me maybe round 700. So i can get a green 660 for just under $9400. Good deal. unless CA wants their money then I Might try to strike a deal with a local dealer and get them to come down and just have it all done here. Let me know if anyone has done this. Thanks again for any help.

sigepmock
04-25-2006, 10:58 AM
I bought out of state but Registered it in AZ. No sales tax.
CA will ding you for it if you register it in CA as new. If it's used you can get away with a lower sale price on the pink slip transfer if the sellar doesn't mind, but either way you pay CA sales tax.
Good luck,
Chris

shadow
04-25-2006, 10:59 AM
You are going to have to pay tax somewhere,Either it is back east or when you take it to DMV to register it.
I bought mine in vegas and paid the tax there.When i brought it to my DMV they said tax has already been paid so i was ok.But if i hadn't paid i would have been charged.

shadow
04-25-2006, 11:01 AM
I bought out of state but Registered it in AZ. No sales tax.
CA will ding you for it if you register it in CA as new. If it's used you can get away with a lower sale price on the pink slip transfer if the sellar doesn't mind, but either way you pay CA sales tax.
Good luck,
Chris
New or used?

cnj
04-25-2006, 11:03 AM
I recently bought a green 660 from out of state. $9300 to my door. If you plan on using it in Cali, you will need to register it within 10 days of purchase, otherwise penalties will apply (ask me how I know). Yes the DMV will hit you for taxes. They will also require a VIN verification on the unit, and they may send you to the CHP for that (ask me how I know that too). It has been a pain, but I still saved about $450 over the best price I got locally. Good luck!

sigepmock
04-25-2006, 11:05 AM
New or used?
Ours was new but already registered so we got it used as far as the title goes.

Cole Trickle
04-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Ours was new but already registered so we got it used as far as the title goes.
I still haven't registered mine.... :220v:
Do I need the unit in AZ to register it? (I don't care if it's street legal)

RiverIndo
04-25-2006, 11:15 AM
I recently bought a green 660 from out of state. $9300 to my door. If you plan on using it in Cali, you will need to register it within 10 days of purchase, otherwise penalties will apply (ask me how I know). Yes the DMV will hit you for taxes. They will also require a VIN verification on the unit, and they may send you to the CHP for that (ask me how I know that too). It has been a pain, but I still saved about $450 over the best price I got locally. Good luck!
CNJ If ya don't mind me askin, where'd ya get yours at and what did ya pay the DMV for the taxes. Want to see if the total you paid with taxes through cali if I can get a stealership to cut down there price to match what I would pay from out of state with taxes in Cali. Thanks for the replies All. :wink:
what I actually meant was did you pay taxes on the bill of sale only right not the shipping. And was your shipping bout 700 to your door?

sigepmock
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM
I still haven't registered mine.... :220v:
Do I need the unit in AZ to register it? (I don't care if it's street legal)
OH SHIZNIT!!!! Yes AZ required a VIN verification since our's came from Utah. Not sure where your's was registered. Let me know if you want me to drag yours out there one week for the inspection, you can do the rest from CA.

Cole Trickle
04-25-2006, 11:54 AM
OH SHIZNIT!!!! Yes AZ required a VIN verification since our's came from Utah. Not sure where your's was registered. Let me know if you want me to drag yours out there one week for the inspection, you can do the rest from CA.
Mine came from Oregon or Utah?
So I can have it inspected and then handle the rest from CA?(I want to register it in AZ to avoid paying Sales tax)

sigepmock
04-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Mine came from Oregon or Utah?
So I can have it inspected and then handle the rest from CA?(I want to register it in AZ to avoid paying Sales tax)
Just need it inspected by any AZ DMV. We got ours inspected in Havasu on a Friday morning, inspection takes 10-15 min, then we went inside and sat around for two hours until they could see us. $14 later and we were AZ off-road legal, I still have to go back to get the street legal, just needed the horn and license plate light last time. So close.......

djunkie
04-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Just need it inspected by any AZ DMV. We got ours inspected in Havasu on a Friday morning, inspection takes 10-15 min, then we went inside and sat around for two hours until they could see us. $14 later and we were AZ off-road legal, I still have to go back to get the street legal, just needed the horn and license plate light last time. So close.......
I know this question has been asked a million times already but what to you have to do to get AZ. street legal?

sigepmock
04-25-2006, 01:01 PM
I know this question has been asked a million times already but what to you have to do to get AZ. street legal?
1. Rearview mirror
2. Horn
3. License plate light
4. Tail lights and head lights
5. Windshield(I think they let this one slide)
With my stock Rhino and a rearview mirror I almost got him to ok it, the only thing he really wanted to see was a horn and license plate light.

chub
04-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Lookin at some of them rhino's back east. Has anyone in Cali bought from Out of state? If so did the DMV ding ya for sales tax. I was lookin at Altusmotorsports. They said for the green 660 would be 8680 OTD but shipping to me maybe round 700. So i can get a green 660 for just under $9400. Good deal. unless CA wants their money then I Might try to strike a deal with a local dealer and get them to come down and just have it all done here. Let me know if anyone has done this. Thanks again for any help.
That's who I bought mine from. It was 795 shipped to my house at the river for delivery. Joe is great to work with!

chub
04-25-2006, 01:50 PM
1. Rearview mirror
2. Horn
3. License plate light
With my stock Rhino and a rearview mirror I almost got him to ok it, the only thing he really wanted to see was a horn and license plate light.
Whats the vin verification, they just look at the Rhino?

sigepmock
04-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Whats the vin verification, they just look at the Rhino?
They just verify the VIN on the title matches the one on the Rhino.

That Guy
04-25-2006, 03:05 PM
1. Rearview mirror
2. Horn
3. License plate light
We had the opposite experience....told we needed a DOT approved windshield, license plate light, turn signals...blah blah blah....going back for a second try and hope that lady is off that day.

cnj
04-25-2006, 03:53 PM
CNJ If ya don't mind me askin, where'd ya get yours at and what did ya pay the DMV for the taxes. Want to see if the total you paid with taxes through cali if I can get a stealership to cut down there price to match what I would pay from out of state with taxes in Cali. Thanks for the replies All. :wink:
what I actually meant was did you pay taxes on the bill of sale only right not the shipping. And was your shipping bout 700 to your door?
Got mine from 61 Marine and Sports in Hastings Minnesota (651)437-3522. Ask for Kayla. Tell her Chuck from Cali said "HI". DMV fees were right about $730. The way the bill was written up was that I paid a total of $9299 (which included shipping). That's what the DMV taxed me on. Had I thought of it, I would have asked the dealer to list the shipping cost seperately, so I wouldn't be taxed on that. Would have made about a $50-$60 difference.

RiverIndo
04-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Sweet thanks for the info CNJ. Gonna talk to them because my guy just quoted me 800 for the delivery. I think I can do better. Hopefully I can get a deal worked out soon. Appreciate all the help guys.

shadow
04-25-2006, 04:42 PM
We had the opposite experience....told we needed a DOT approved windshield, license plate light, turn signals...blah blah blah....going back for a second try and hope that lady is off that day.
Was that in Havasu?I took mine in on a trailer and they never even mentioned anything about looking at it.Never said anything about license plate light(i would think only ness if you run it at night).Turn signal is my left hand,only made me sign a waiver that stated that i was aware i was "supposed" to have a windshield.Paid the fees and out the door with a plate inside of 1/2 hr.Guess it all depends who you talk to.

Warlockjer
04-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Had the same luck as shadow. No problem. We have put over 800 miles on it around town :)

That Guy
04-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Was that in Havasu?I took mine in on a trailer and they never even mentioned anything about looking at it.Never said anything about license plate light(i would think only ness if you run it at night).Turn signal is my left hand,only made me sign a waiver that stated that i was aware i was "supposed" to have a windshield.Paid the fees and out the door with a plate inside of 1/2 hr.Guess it all depends who you talk to.
Hey Darrell: Yes it was in Havi....just got the wrong clerk. Did you get yours "street legal" or just licensed so you can run offroad?
This lady was a rules are for a reason blah, blah and I wasn't moving her off that position so we will try again next week. Hope you are well and see you this weekend.

shadow
04-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Hey Darrell: Yes it was in Havi....just got the wrong clerk. Did you get yours "street legal" or just licensed so you can run offroad?
This lady was a rules are for a reason blah, blah and I wasn't moving her off that position so we will try again next week. Hope you are well and see you this weekend.
Street legal,No questions asked except to sign that i knew i was supposed to have a windshield.
Like i said they never even thought about going outside to look at it,said hand signals are fine and never said anything about a lic plate light,mirror or horn.I did add an obnoxious horn,and probabbly will add a miiror just so i can see whats behind me.
Good luck next time you go in,maybe you will get the guy that helped me.

Todd969
04-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Street legal,No questions asked except to sign that i knew i was supposed to have a windshield.
Like i said they never even thought about going outside to look at it,said hand signals are fine and never said anything about a lic plate light,mirror or horn.I did add an obnoxious horn,and probabbly will add a miiror just so i can see whats behind me.
Good luck next time you go in,maybe you will get the guy that helped me.
You must of got David. Very nice relaxed guy.

boatnam2
04-25-2006, 05:47 PM
im trying to buy one nobody has any at a decent price,placve in okiehoma is sold out so is berts,la cycle.