PDA

View Full Version : "Tow Rigs" is just too quiet....need some advice.

MOBrien
04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
I just took delivery of my new '05 Z71 Tahoe from Photoglou....THANKS JAY, you are the man! You're guy Chris Anderson took care of biz and was great to deal with as well....dropped him at Southwest with 16 minutes 'till departure. Hope he made his flight. OK, now stop reading Jay........... :D
I want to get the exhaust & intake reworked and I've been thinking.......
Cat-back system & high flow cat: Magnaflow, Gibson, Bassani, Borla, other? Which & why? Certainly looking to stay clear of interior resonation.
Intake: K&N, Air-Raid cold air system, other?
Mass Air Meter: do or don't?
Power programmer: do or don't?? hypertech, superchips, quadzilla?
What are some of you using and what do you recommend???
Thanks, I'm so jazzed on this new rig but gotta change something! :D :rolleyes:
-MOB

Dr. Eagle
04-10-2005, 07:48 PM
I just took delivery of my new '05 Z71 Tahoe from Photoglou....THANKS JAY, you are the man! You're guy Chris Anderson took care of biz and was great to deal with as well....dropped him at Southwest with 16 minutes 'till departure. Hope he made his flight. OK, now stop reading Jay........... :D
I want to get the exhaust & intake reworked and I've been thinking.......
Cat-back system & high flow cat: Magnaflow, Gibson, Bassani, Borla, other? Which & why? Certainly looking to stay clear of interior resonation.
Intake: K&N, Air-Raid cold air system, other?
Mass Air Meter: do or don't?
Power programmer: do or don't?? hypertech, superchips, quadzilla?
What are some of you using and what do you recommend???
Thanks, I'm so jazzed on this new rig but gotta change something! :D :rolleyes:
-MOB
You can do the exhaust, air intake stuff (I did those things) but I would recommend against doing any hanky panky with the computer. If you have a problem with the engine or transmission with an aftermarket program on there... it's unlikely your warranty will be honored.

NorCal Gameshow
04-10-2005, 07:51 PM
You can do the exhaust, air intake stuff (I did those things) but I would recommend against doing any hanky panky with the computer. If you have a problem with the engine or transmission with an aftermarket program on there... it's unlikely your warranty will be honored.
kill-joy... :messedup: :D

MOBrien
04-10-2005, 07:52 PM
kinda figured that. exhaust, intake, & mass air meter is probably where I will draw the line......but want to know what people have, why they put it on, & if they like what they did??

Dr. Eagle
04-10-2005, 07:54 PM
kill-joy... :messedup: :D
I'm good at raining on parades...http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/duck_hunting.gif

Jrocket
04-10-2005, 07:57 PM
This will be the post you dont want to hear buttttt...just leave it alone.You could add intake,exhuast,programmer and it still wont be what your looking for,especially for what your gonna spend.Its not like a diesel where the programmer makes a huge diff.Unless you just want a little better sound then do a cat back and drive it.

MOBrien
04-10-2005, 08:04 PM
This will be the post you dont want to hear ........
you can say that again. wait, no you can't......you're banned from responding to this thread again. :D :D
if that's the case, i'll just cut out the stocker muff & have a new one put in place.....cheaper than a full cat-back & a relatively same result? :idea:

Jrocket
04-10-2005, 08:13 PM
if that's the case, i'll just cut out the stocker muff & have a new one put in place.....cheaper than a full cat-back & a relatively same result? :idea:
There ya go,now your thinking.Spend the money else wheres.

MOBrien
04-10-2005, 08:17 PM
if i make enough of those "good decisions", maybe i'll get to squeeze the Charmin one day :D
looks like a K&N element w/a magnaflow, borla, or gibson then......but which one????

Dr. Eagle
04-10-2005, 08:20 PM
I went to a performance muffler shop here in town and they replaced my stocker with a Magnaflow muffler, and they mandrel bent me new stainless steel pipe. The whole thing cost me about 300 bucks installed. It made a noticable difference, but nothing radical.

cc322
04-10-2005, 08:21 PM
This will be the post you dont want to hear buttttt...just leave it alone.You could add intake,exhuast,programmer and it still wont be what your looking for,especially for what your gonna spend.Its not like a diesel where the programmer makes a huge diff.Unless you just want a little better sound then do a cat back and drive it.
Told you so :wink:

MOBrien
04-10-2005, 08:26 PM
heh, that's funny. i knew you'd post something like that here. :D
soooooooooo.........magnaflow, gibson, borla, bassani, WHAT??? :D

Jrocket
04-10-2005, 08:26 PM
LMAO,I take it you already covered this conversation with him.

Jrocket
04-10-2005, 08:27 PM
heh, that's funny. i knew you'd post something like that here. :D
soooooooooo.........magnaflow, gibson, borla, bassani, WHAT??? :D
They're all about the same sound.

MOBrien
04-10-2005, 08:31 PM
They're all about the same sound.
just don't want to get f'd with interior resonation between 60 & 80 mph. what's the safer call among those choices?? and don't say "leave it alone" :D :p

Jrocket
04-10-2005, 08:36 PM
just don't want to get f'd with interior resonation between 60 & 80 mph. what's the safer call among those choices?? and don't say "leave it alone" :D :p
Dont have the answer there for ya,but I would think that if you leave the cat in it wont have any or atleast very little resonation.Find a really good muffler shop that will back up there install and if you have problems,maybe they can switch the mufflers out for you at no charge.Some places will.find a place that does hot rods and such,they're mor into the good sounds with out the resonation deals.Not much insulation in the old hot rods so they might now what works best..just an idea.Plus i'd rather take my stuff to the old guys that have done it for awhile and no their stuff.

cc322
04-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Ok since your gonna do it anyway (I would too) here is what I have used IMO Gibson for good tone not to loud and good quaility. Flowmaster if you want it louder, to me Flowmasters are to loud. If it were me I would go Gibson my 02

Jrocket
04-10-2005, 08:42 PM
ive had Magnaflow,Borla and flowmaster in the past.The 3 chamber flowmasters arent hat bad and the Borla's are a quality made piece.Magnaflow has a lower tone but worked well.Never had anything else or it was a German car designed system so thats the skinny.

MOBrien
04-10-2005, 09:08 PM
it's either gonna be a Borla , Magnaflow , or Gibson.......whatever's the best EBay deal probably. :D
thanks dudes.
-MOB

Smokin Joe
04-10-2005, 09:12 PM
on my Z71 Tahoe I installed A TruFlo air intake and Gibson exhaust sounds good but not too loud for the long drive. I did notice a little improvement on the low end.
Went to Orange County swap meet today and received my first door ding I even parked way out and a end spot :sqeyes: . I rubbed out the mark but have the dent.
joe
http://www.truflow.com

djunkie
04-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Whipple it. That'll give you the power you want. :D

MOBrien
04-10-2005, 09:21 PM
on my Z71 Tahoe I installed A TruFlo air intake and Gibson exhaust sounds good but not too loud for the long drive. I did notice a little improvement on the low end.
Went to Orange County swap meet today and received my first door ding I even parked way out and a end spot :sqeyes: . I rubbed out the mark but have the dent.
joe
http://www.truflow.com
sux to get door dings. why can't people be careful? freakin dumbasses. So with your Gibson, do you hear much inside at cruising speeds or just when you put the throttle down?

MOBrien
04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Whipple it. That'll give you the power you want. :D
$500 is much easier to justify than $5000. :( unfortunately. :D

Smokin Joe
04-10-2005, 09:30 PM
You definitely hear it when the throttle is down but cruzing around town is not to noticeable, on the freeway between 2000 and about 2500 rpm it's quite when the tyranny down shifts and you'll hear it's not too bad. If I had to do it all over I would do it again it does sound good.
joe

OliverM5
04-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Here ya go:
AEM Brute force intake: $250 (on Ebay)
Exhaust: Magnaflow exhaust if you like it kinda tame, or a flowmaster if you want the deep sound (with deep sound comes drone)
Tuning: Go to LS1tech.com and the V8 truck section, Tuning from Nelson will add 10-20 horses, clean up the shifts, and make the truck feel more "alive".
That's a basic setup that'll give your truck some balls and make it sound better without breaking the bank.....

Dr. Eagle
04-11-2005, 05:15 AM
$500 is much easier to justify than $5000. :( unfortunately. :D
$5,000 and no warranty... :hammer2:

Chico&Zeus
04-11-2005, 06:14 AM
I have a 2005 Yukon, I did Gibson Cat-Back, kinda loud when you punch it, but the rest of the time it's a nice mello rumble, I also did a K&N filtercharger, and an Air Raid throttle body spacer. Everyone says the throttle body spacer for $99 is a way better option than the MAF Sensor for $300-$400. As far as reprogramming, don't do it, on a diesel it is worth it, on these gas suckers, it's not going to give you the boost you'd expect. 1 more thing....later GIBSON HEADERS! Good Luck!

Chase
04-11-2005, 09:39 AM
you can say that again. wait, no you can't......you're banned from responding to this thread again. :D :D
Be careful here...it is not as simple as one might think...the factory muffler on my 2000 yukon had a single input, dual output, then forked back into a single ezhaust....so it is not just simply cut the factory muff out and then re-install the aftermarket....
I ended up going with the cat back system...it was easier and actually looked good when I was done..