PDA

View Full Version : Raylar Kit - issues.....

rvrhlic
04-10-2005, 09:03 PM
for those of you getting the Raylar kit, it is not exactly bolt on. For mine everything went smooth until the throttle housing. The instructions say to put the stock gaskets back on but... nope.... they don't line up. To add to that, once you get the throttle body on, the linkage they provide will allow you gto get 1/2 throttle max. I thought everything would be done this weekend, and Aaron at Absolute tried to get it done. HE spoke with Larry or Ray (not sure which one) on Saturday and they basically said figure out how to make the linkage work and let us know what you did.
I know that there are 2 other guys the have it installed, did you run into these issues when you were doing the install?

INSman
04-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Aaron was the one that did Shadow's 27' Ultra, and no problems like this or any other mentioned. Sounds very strange :idea:
Did your boat have some other throttle linkage that Aaron had not seen before? Ray is not one of those, "Go figure it out yourself" kind of guys, are you sure he offered no remedy ??

rvrhlic
04-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Nothing but a stock 469 HO for me, it may be a different year than shadow (mine is 2004). From what I understand form Aaron, it seemed like they wanted him to do the RD for the linkage. I guess with the gasket, mercruiser changed it so the stock gasket doesn't work with the kit.
I agree, it does't sound like Raylar, form my experiences they have been extremely helpful both via email and on the phone. I know this will get resolved hopefully this week. I just wanted to let the others know what they may run into.

INSman
04-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I stopped by Aaron's shop Friday while I was in town this weekend, and it wouldn't seem like he would have the time for R&D with how busy the shop looked, but hopefully they get it worked out quick for you.
I wonder what changed from 2003 to 2004 ??

Daytona100
04-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Arron my HERO!!!!!!! once again. :( :(

phebus
04-11-2005, 06:55 AM
I stopped by Aaron's shop Saturday afternoon, and he was working his ass off trying to finish your motor. He was really pissed, because he said he would have you on the water, and hated to let a customer down. It really bothered him that he couldn't finish your motor. What a stand up guy. Rather then just saying oh well, I guess it's not going to happen, and I've got other work to do, he was digging in and trying to resolve the issue.
The problem was, that when the throttle body was on, the linkage supplied with the kit would hit on the oil fill tube when it reached about 1/2 throttle. It seemed like the supplied spacer plate wasn't big enough. I'm curious to see how he resolved it, and will probably stop by the shop today or tomorrrow and see what he has done.

INSman
04-11-2005, 08:08 AM
I stopped by Aaron's shop Saturday afternoon, and he was working his ass off trying to finish your motor. He was really pissed, because he said he would have you on the water, and hated to let a customer down. It really bothered him that he couldn't finish your motor. What a stand up guy. Rather then just saying oh well, I guess it's not going to happen, and I've got other work to do, he was digging in and trying to resolve the issue.
The problem was, that when the throttle body was on, the linkage supplied with the kit would hit on the oil fill tube when it reached about 1/2 throttle. It seemed like the supplied spacer plate wasn't big enough. I'm curious to see how he resolved it, and will probably stop by the shop today or tomorrrow and see what he has done.
And nobody else was having this problem ?? Did Merc move the oil fill tube to some other less convenient location ??

shadow
04-11-2005, 08:16 AM
for those of you getting the Raylar kit, it is not exactly bolt on. For mine everything went smooth until the throttle housing. The instructions say to put the stock gaskets back on but... nope.... they don't line up. To add to that, once you get the throttle body on, the linkage they provide will allow you gto get 1/2 throttle max. I thought everything would be done this weekend, and Aaron at Absolute tried to get it done. HE spoke with Larry or Ray (not sure which one) on Saturday and they basically said figure out how to make the linkage work and let us know what you did.
I know that there are 2 other guys the have it installed, did you run into these issues when you were doing the install?
I just ran by Absolute to check it out.I see where the issue is.I'll run home at lunch check out how mine is and get back to Aaron.I know it was alittle tricky but none the less shouldn't be a problem.I'll snap a few pics and see if that helps.Keep in mind any of these little snags will be long forgotten once you put your boat in the water and feel the difference.

Dave C
04-11-2005, 08:33 AM
note: a trouble free boat (and any mods) has yet to be invented.
It is SOP when it comes to boats to always assume there are going to be issues.
This is puzzling because I thought everyone knew this??
thanks for the heads up anyway!

rvrhlic
04-11-2005, 09:37 AM
I agree there are snags.. Aaron was doing his best to get everything resolved.... not his fault. I was just a little bummed have gone up the last 2 weekends and being stuck on the beach. I wasn;t planning on going next weekend but I will be there now so I can run the boat - assumming everything is ready to go.
Aaron has been great letting me know what is going on and working his ass off to get my boat out of his shop.

shadow
04-11-2005, 10:55 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5472DSCF1508-med.JPG

shadow
04-11-2005, 10:59 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5472DSCF1507-med.JPG

shadow
04-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Heres a couple of pics.I'll go out in the garage and take a visual and swing by Absolute to and look and see if the oil fill is in the same location.I'm sure once Aaron see's these pics it will give him an idea.I remember the linkage was alittle tricky.

shadow
04-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Theres pic's in this months ***boat of the Raylar being installed on Chris Winns boat.None of the throttle linkage though.

JB in so cal
04-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Theres pic's in this months ***boat of the Raylar being installed on Chris Winns boat.None of the throttle linkage though.
What's up, Shadow?
I saw you in the channel last weekend, but couldn't get over - #1 there were a lot of effin boats and #2 there wasn't much space where you were.
Hope all is well, and I'm gonna keep trying to hook up wit' cha. I need to buy you a cold one.
John

moneypit
04-11-2005, 05:01 PM
***boat has a magazine? Cool. When does it come out..?

shadow
04-11-2005, 05:09 PM
What's up, Shadow?
I saw you in the channel last weekend, but couldn't get over - #1 there were a lot of effin boats and #2 there wasn't much space where you were.
Hope all is well, and I'm gonna keep trying to hook up wit' cha. I need to buy you a cold one.
John
I'll be out there this weekend and next,you gonna be around?I'll keep an eye out.

franky
04-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I have a complete machine/welding shop in my garage and can fab ANYTHING. Have Arron give Frank @ Ventura Speed & Marine a call (208-7812) and I will make it happen. I am all for the Raylar thing working out and am working on other stuff (oil cooler, relocate coils, billet valve covers, billet pulleys, etc,). Just want to remind folks that CUSTOM=everythinhg else is affected and needs to be modified to work.....nature of the beast. BUT IT IS ALWAYS WORTH IT!!!!!

franky
04-11-2005, 06:41 PM
I'll be out there this weekend and next,you gonna be around?I'll keep an eye out.
I would like to see the install and show you the stuff I am working on. Come by, my wife makes the best fricken heuvous rancheros.

shadow
04-11-2005, 06:45 PM
I have a complete machine/welding shop in my garage and can fab ANYTHING. Have Arron give Frank @ Ventura Speed & Marine a call (208-7812) and I will make it happen. I am all for the Raylar thing working out and am working on other stuff (oil cooler, relocate coils, billet valve covers, billet pulleys, etc,). Just want to remind folks that CUSTOM=everythinhg else is affected and needs to be modified to work.....nature of the beast. BUT IT IS ALWAYS WORTH IT!!!!!
Franky,good to hear your offer.Like you say anything custom needs alittle modifacation here and there.It's just a matter of modifying the exsiting bracket and a small spacer.If Aaron had a few of those modified brackets pre made and a few spacers to match i'm sure it would make his life a whole lot easier when it comes to these installs.This setup is definately worth the wait!!!I can vouch for that.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Man.....That sucks......
Aaron called we while I was at the boat show on Sat evening....
He was in Ludlow, heading out here to SoCal.....
Said he got stuck working on something, so he was running late out here....
Didn't say what it was, but I guess this was it.....
I know he was looking forward to a little R&R with the family....
I think he's in San Diego today doung the Seaworld thing....Good for him....
I'm sure you'll get this thing worked out soon....
Later,
CJG
:cool:

shadow
04-11-2005, 06:52 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5472DSCF1507-med.JPG
Simple solution,If you look at the pic,the stock bracket needs to be trimmed and add a trimmed spacer so it won't hit the oil fill tube and it's good to go.
I'm sure once Aaron see's the pic he will have together in a heartbeat.

franky
04-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Somehow the rest of my post was deleted? It said, bring by your boat so I can see the install and you can see what I am working on. My wife makes the best fricken heauvos rancheros so come by for breakfast, I am not kidding!!! This weekend I will be at Texas Motor Speedway but the following weekend...?
Franky,good to hear your offer.Like you say anything custom needs alittle modifacation here and there.It's just a matter of modifying the exsiting bracket and a small spacer.If Aaron had a few of those modified brackets pre made and a few spacers to match i'm sure it would make his life a whole lot easier when it comes to these installs.This setup is definately worth the wait!!!I can vouch for that.

shadow
04-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Somehow the rest of my post was deleted? It said, bring by your boat so I can see the install and you can see what I am working on. My wife makes the best fricken heauvos rancheros so come by for breakfast, I am not kidding!!! This weekend I will be at Texas Motor Speedway but the following weekend...?
Heauvos rancheros,were you at?Sounds good.let me know when and we can make a couple of these brackets for Aaron to have on hand and keep his customers happy.

franky
04-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Center of towm off Daytona/Acoma. I am not kidding you about the eggs. Did I mention the Bloody Mary's she makes?

INSman
04-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Heauvos rancheros,were you at?Sounds good.let me know when and we can make a couple of these brackets for Aaron to have on hand and keep his customers happy.
I need a pair of them and I need them quick, 3 weeks max !!! :D :D

franky
04-11-2005, 07:27 PM
I need a pair of them and I need them quick, 3 weeks max !!! :D :D
No pronlemo, but they come with the oil cooler, billet pulleys, valve covers, etc.

shadow
04-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Franky,next time you are over by Aarons shop stop in and say hello.I'm right up the street at the Ford dealership.486-7399
Darrell

INSman
04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
No pronlemo, but they come with the oil cooler, billet pulleys, valve covers, etc.
Oil cooler great, pulleys being chromed and valve covers being powdercoated, so I am all set there !!

phebus
04-18-2005, 07:18 AM
rvrhlic, any updates? Did the throttle body issue get solved?

Chris Winn
04-18-2005, 08:57 AM
this is odd, i took a look at mine this weekend and there are not clearnace issues, but there might be some differences int he years, mine is a 2004 but built in oct of 2003. good luck to you, that does seem odd.
Chris

LHC30Victory
04-18-2005, 09:37 AM
In talking to Aaron last Friday, it seems that Merc may have changed the throttle bodies :messedup: the linkage is now a little more toward center and wont clear the oil fill tube..
Ray and Aaron are working on the fix.....
Stay tuned

rvrhlic
04-18-2005, 09:51 AM
From what I understand.... Ray and Larry have com eup with a fix and shipped it out to Aaron. Once he has it, he said it should be done in a couple of hours.
Props to Ray and Larry for adjusting their stuff to meat the change in the mercruiser throttle body.

DM25CITATION
04-18-2005, 05:12 PM
sorry guys,
i havent been on the forums to help with the problem. i had this same problem when i install my kit. thanks to shadow and ray i got it done. it took us a few hours to solve the problem. i called aaron today to see if i can answer any questions. sorry i couldnt help sooner.
rivlr,
what weekend are u going to be out. iam going to be there april 28 and 29. (thats thrusady and friday.)maybe we can meet andcheck eachother setup and have some cold ones.