PDA

View Full Version : Electric Hatch Actuators???

BarryMac
04-13-2005, 09:14 AM
When I purchased my boat it came with the manual Engine Hatch and Gas Shocks, I was considering upgrading to the Electric Actuator style, my question is are these hard to install? What length would I need for my boat, I see in the Rex Catatlog (on line of course) that they sell a 18" and 24" version. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated...
gjb

phuggit
04-13-2005, 09:25 AM
There was a "how-to install an electric hatch" in last months Hot Boat mag. It looked fairly simple to do. And yes, HB has a magazine...

BADBLOWN572
04-13-2005, 09:46 AM
it is not too hard. The easiest way to do it is to remove your rear seat, but if not, you can just climb into the engine compartment.
1) Raise your hatch all the way and then hold the big end of the ram to the floor (as close to the motor as possible just behind the motor mounts).
2) Screw the ram bracket to the floor, but make sure that the bracket is connected to wood and you are not going to put a hole in the bottom of the boat.
3) Install the bolt from the ram to the bracket
4) With the ram fully collapsed, close the hatch with you inside of the engine compartment or back seat removed, then tilt it up (with bracket on) to the bottom of the hatch and mark the outside with a sharpie.
5) remove the bracket from the ram and screw it to the hatch. Be careful not to go through the padding and into the upholstry.
6) Install the top of the ram with the pin.
7) Run two wires from the connection point on the ram up to the dash. (usually will have to pull out side panels or use an electrician's fish tape to go from the dash to the back and hook the wires.
8) Drill a 3/8" hole in the dash for a double pole double throw toggle switch (in the location you want the switch) or buy a Dana switch and drill a 1" (?) hole and mount the switch.
9) Install the switch. If you go with a toggle, get a 3/8" treaded switch washer from Dana (or Rex, or Eddie) in your color. Use locktight on it to secure it in place.
10) To wire up the switch look below at the diagram. Go constant hot (on ignition switch) for power and use a gauge ground for the ground. Remember to put an inline fuse between the power wire and the switch. Should take approximately 15-20 amp.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598hatch.bmp
Sounds a lot more difficult than it really is. The hardest part is to run the wires on the boat. You can either take out the interior or fish it from the back to the front. If I recall properly too, you should use the 18" ram on the 202.
Good luck,
Danny

OutCole'd
04-13-2005, 09:47 AM
I did that to my old Cole, and it was pretty easy. As far as the length of the one you need, measure your hatch from the highest position you would like it to go, till it closes. Install a switch, & run the wires. Mounting was real easy also.

Ziggy
04-13-2005, 10:11 AM
I love my Dana hatch scissors.......the ram type takes up valuable staorage space in the engine compartment, something to consider.
Them Dana's come in some perdy colors too :p :p

BarryMac
04-13-2005, 10:32 AM
it is not too hard. The easiest way to do it is to remove your rear seat, but if not, you can just climb into the engine compartment.
1) Raise your hatch all the way and then hold the big end of the ram to the floor (as close to the motor as possible just behind the motor mounts).
2) Screw the ram bracket to the floor, but make sure that the bracket is connected to wood and you are not going to put a hole in the bottom of the boat.
3) Install the bolt from the ram to the bracket
4) With the ram fully collapsed, close the hatch with you inside of the engine compartment or back seat removed, then tilt it up (with bracket on) to the bottom of the hatch and mark the outside with a sharpie.
5) remove the bracket from the ram and screw it to the hatch. Be careful not to go through the padding and into the upholstry.
6) Install the top of the ram with the pin.
7) Run two wires from the connection point on the ram up to the dash. (usually will have to pull out side panels or use an electrician's fish tape to go from the dash to the back and hook the wires.
8) Drill a 3/8" hole in the dash for a double pole double throw toggle switch (in the location you want the switch) or buy a Dana switch and drill a 1" (?) hole and mount the switch.
9) Install the switch. If you go with a toggle, get a 3/8" treaded switch washer from Dana (or Rex, or Eddie) in your color. Use locktight on it to secure it in place.
10) To wire up the switch look below at the diagram. Go constant hot (on ignition switch) for power and use a gauge ground for the ground. Remember to put an inline fuse between the power wire and the switch. Should take approximately 15-20 amp.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598hatch.bmp
Sounds a lot more difficult than it really is. The hardest part is to run the wires on the boat. You can either take out the interior or fish it from the back to the front. If I recall properly too, you should use the 18" ram on the 202.
Good luck,
Danny
Thanks Danny, doesn't sound too difficult from your description.
I love my Dana hatch scissors.......the ram type takes up valuable staorage space in the engine compartment, something to consider.
Them Dana's come in some perdy colors too
I like those also, there just more than I want to spend to open and close my Engine hatch...

Chase
04-13-2005, 11:05 AM
What if your battery goes dead???
I don't want any smart ass answers here either. :devil:
I ask, because i thought of doing this on my boat. :idea:

OutCole'd
04-13-2005, 11:34 AM
What if your battery goes dead???
I don't want any smart ass answers here either. :devil:
I ask, because i thought of doing this on my boat. :idea:
My Perko switch was under my rear seat. Worst case, unscrew it, & hook the charger up to those terminals.

Dana Marine Products
04-13-2005, 11:35 AM
We also have electric rams. When you wire it, have a second set of wire leads that go under your seat so you can jump it open. Some manufacturers actually install a 12 volt power outlet in their seat base and connect the second set of wires to that.

Chico&Zeus
04-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Chase, I just did one on my 580I, and I had the same concern...everyone says to create a way to "Jump" it but what if it's not the battery, but the motor burns up...I am putting an 8" access port in the wall between the bench seat storage and the engine compartment. That way if it ever gets stuck closed, I can reach through the port access to unbolot the lower mount. I bought an access portal for $8 and it's water tight so I don't have to worry about fumes etc.

Desert Rat
04-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Instead of a bolt get a PIP pin (quick release pin) for the bottom mount. It the battery fails you reach through said hole and just pull the pin out then lift the hatch. Most manufactures will know where to get them. I used a 1/2" dia 3" long aircraft rig pin that just happened to be laying around work :eek: :D

Chase
04-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Chase, I just did one on my 580I, and I had the same concern...everyone says to create a way to "Jump" it but what if it's not the battery, but the motor burns up...I am putting an 8" access port in the wall between the bench seat storage and the engine compartment. That way if it ever gets stuck closed, I can reach through the port access to unbolot the lower mount. I bought an access portal for $8 and it's water tight so I don't have to worry about fumes etc.
Are you referring to a Chase 580i???

Chico&Zeus
04-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Yep, got it last summer, the wife is already saying BIGGER IS BETTER, so next year we're looking at the 910.

Chase
04-18-2005, 09:44 AM
How do you like the Campion product?? You never hear of anyone on the boards here with the Campion.
I love the Campion product and in my opinion thay compare to almost any other brand floating as far as quality and performance.

Chico&Zeus
04-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I love Campion, The craftsmanship is well above standard, and their prices are hard to beat. I bought my 580I last summer, it has the Merc 5.0 MPI 280 hp. When I was shopping for a boat, I looked at Crownline, Reinel, Four Winns, and Tige. No one else had the wonderful vinyl work, and all the little options that came standard with Campion. There was a dealer in Tuscon, about 55 min. from my house. The boat runs great, I did a few upgrades, dual batterys, electric hatch, added a transom remote for the stereo, I want to do captains call exhaust but I don't want to pour that much money into it if we are going to trade up next summer. I put a mercury Vengence stainless prop on it and took the top end from 56 mph to 61 mph... hole shot is about the same.

Chase
04-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Good to hear that you like it....I have the Volvo Penta 5.0 in it, so in an 18 footer it is a little rocket....noisy too, with the captains call....
Make sure you spread the word on the Campion quality/value...
If you go to the website in the Chase pages, they use a quote of mine...as well in the Chase adds in the brochure and magazine...
Look for the quote on the Chase compliments..that is me..