PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser personnel assistance.....

Big Warlock
04-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know who the regional representative would be? I need to chat with them regarding this XR drive with 188 hours on it. Thought I would try this forum to see if I can speed the process up.
Thanks,
Rob

ChumpChange
04-13-2005, 01:05 PM
I need to speak to this person as well. Back to the very top.

RiverDave
04-13-2005, 01:11 PM
I need to speak to this person as well. Back to the very top.
I think that just about anybody with a boat over 24 - 25' long will probably want to talk to them sooner or later about an XR.. LOL
RD

Big Warlock
04-13-2005, 02:08 PM
River Dave:
Please expond on that! I really want to get the scoop on the XR drive.
Thanks,
Rob :cry:

ROZ
04-13-2005, 03:11 PM
bumpity bump...

Big Warlock
04-13-2005, 04:59 PM
bump

burtandnancy
04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
I would guess that you'd have to start with your OEM (your boat builder) if you think you have a warrantee problem...

RiverDave
04-14-2005, 11:04 AM
River Dave:
Please expond on that! I really want to get the scoop on the XR drive.
Thanks,
Rob :cry:
You know I/O's are a kind of "black magic." By that I'll give you some examples here..
I made a video for infomaniac awhile back, boat had a Quad Rotor 1000+ HP (I think it actually made 1200+?). The boat was a 24' Cat and made atleast 6 or 7 120+ mph runs on the tape, and from what I gathered it wasn't uncommon for them to run it like that quite often. Just being somewhat gentle on the drive. Brick stock Bravo from what I understand.. I don't even think it was an XR? Well they ran it for an entire season, and then even ran the Lotto shoot out with it. I'm not sure if it ever did break? Or if they ever did replace it?
Now I have another friend with a Carrera 257. Boat is laid up with all the right stuff, and built like a tank. He's running right around 1000 HP, and he runs through B-Max's like they are going outta style. He's far more gentle with it then they were with the boat in the video. My personal opinion is becuase the boat is a little heavier that it's less forgiving on the drive if and when the drive comes out of the water regardless of how good somebody is with the sticks. Or who knows? Maybe it's just the way that some people put the drive together vs the way others put it together? (Gear clearances n such?)
Now another example would be a friend of mines old boat (Warlock25 on the boards) They had a 28 Warlock Cat. Most 28 Warlocks that I've seen around were rigged with a single I/O, and alot of people that I've met over the years have had the same drive issues that most people have. The boat that my friend had though had twins in it. He was running approximately 900HP per side (detuned from 1200) with the x-dimensions set relatively low. Now I've been in that boat a few times, and driven it 5 or 6 different times. They were not even remotely gentle with the drives.. Now don't get me wrong they didn't just pin the sticks, but in comparison to what most people are calling "gentle" you could put them to the wood and from 30 - 40 on to 120'ish it was one of the fastest accellerating I/O's I've ever been in. Now that to me doesn't really add up? 900 HP on a stock (small shafts n all) bravo? How does it hold up? I personally believe becuase the boat wasn't overly heavy to begin with, it doesn't put nearly the same amount of stress on the drives, even holding up to 900 HP..
Now back to the reverse example.. I know 2 guys with 28' Deckboats, both of them only have a 496HO, both of them have XR's.. and both of them have broken drives right now. (Don't get me wrong, I know 100 guys with that pkg that aren't having any problems as well) I'm just saying that apparently it's not all about the HP blowing drives.. I believe that a larger heavy boat even if it is well within the HP limits of the drive, can still break drives if your not careful.
RD