PDA

View Full Version : Capital gains

WILDERTHANU
04-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I would like to know what kind of capital gains tax I would have to pay on my home if iI was to sell now after only owning for a year and a half. I would be putting 100% of my gain into another property.

cdog
04-13-2005, 04:25 PM
I would like to know what kind of capital gains tax I would have to pay on my home if iI was to sell now after only owning for a year and a half. I would be putting 100% of my gain into another property.
About 33%. Better off waiting untill the 2 years.

Kachina26
04-13-2005, 04:25 PM
PM lighting , he is the man. I think (but don't quote me) you can do a 1031 exchange to defer any taxes. Then live in the new one for 2 or 3 years (I forget which) and you're off the hook.

ChumpChange
04-13-2005, 04:27 PM
You can only do a 1031 if it was investment property and not property that you were living in. Of course, then you have to purchase another investment property in order to keep the exchange.

ChumpChange
04-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Are you selling your house in Upland? How much? Let me know before you get a realtor, maybe I can buy it off of you and save you the 6%. Looking to buy a house around the area.

cdog
04-13-2005, 04:30 PM
PM lighting , he is the man. I think (but don't quote me) you can do a 1031 exchange to defer any taxes. Then live in the new one for 2 or 3 years (I forget which) and you're off the hook.
You can only do an exchange if you have used the property as a income property/rental. Then you have to worry about putting that kind of money into the new home and proving that you tried to rent it out before you moved into it. Not to mention the loan will be an investment property loan. You can prob. get around some of this stuff, but it's a lot of work.

ChumpChange
04-13-2005, 04:35 PM
You can only do an exchange if you have used the property as a income property/rental. Then you have to worry about putting that kind of money into the new home and proving that you tried to rent it out before you moved into it. Not to mention the loan will be an investment property loan. You can prob. get around some of this stuff, but it's a lot of work.
K26 is gonna knock you out now cuz you quote him!

cdog
04-13-2005, 04:39 PM
K26 is gonna knock you out now cuz you quote him!
Bring it on gramps! :D

Kachina26
04-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Gramps???!!! I'm just a dumb kid, can't you tell by the lame financial advise I gave? I'm gonna be paying a buttload of CG this year if all goes the way I'm planning. But the payoff is gonna be sweet!

Mandelon
04-13-2005, 05:56 PM
You get an exemption of $250,000 tax free. $500,000 if you are married and wife is on title. You will pay tax on the rest of your gain. You can deduct out improvements but have to I believe add back in depreciation taken.
If you owned it for more than a year it will be at capital gains rate, which I think is 20% fed and around 9% CA state, I think this is pretty accurate, but check with a tax preparer to be sure.

ssmike
04-13-2005, 07:23 PM
You get an exemption of $250,000 tax free. $500,000 if you are married and wife is on title. You will pay tax on the rest of your gain.
This exemption only applies after 2 full years of ownership.......
Prior to the 2 year mark, you will pay capital gains tax on any gain (unless you fit one of the four IRC exceptions)
Van Wilder, how far away are you planning on moving?

chub
04-13-2005, 07:25 PM
You get an exemption of $250,000 tax free. $500,000 if you are married and wife is on title. You will pay tax on the rest of your gain. You can deduct out improvements but have to I believe add back in depreciation taken.
If you owned it for more than a year it will be at capital gains rate, which I think is 20% fed and around 9% CA state, I think this is pretty accurate, but check with a tax preparer to be sure.
Is it only one year lived in?

chub
04-13-2005, 07:27 PM
ssmike. Thanks.

WILDERTHANU
04-13-2005, 07:27 PM
I want to stay around here, just trying to upgrade a bit.

al cole'holic
04-13-2005, 07:52 PM
...are you self employed by any chance?? :idea:

WILDERTHANU
04-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Yes we own our own business....

al cole'holic
04-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Yes we own our own business....
This will give you the ability to get very creative if you would like to avoid some large tax consequences on selling a property prior to the 2 year mark ;)

Mandelon
04-13-2005, 08:00 PM
This exemption only applies after 2 full years of ownership.......
Prior to the 2 year mark, you will pay capital gains tax on any gain (unless you fit one of the four IRC exceptions)
Van Wilder, how far away are you planning on moving?
Yep, he is right, you need to have lived in it two out of the last 5 years...I didn't notice you said you'd lived in it only a year a half... :squiggle: you should wait.

cdog
04-13-2005, 08:04 PM
The problem is, you cannot buy a owner occupied property with a exchange. You would have to show it as a rental for a while. How long exactly? I'm not sure.

Mandelon
04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
I think a year works alright. The law as I understand it states "intent".....so there is some leeway.
I had a friend who leased her house to her boyfriend for 6 months, exchanged for a new house, leased that to her boyfriend for 6 months too. She actually "rented" a room in each house for that time. After the 6 months she "converted" them to personal ownership.....they got married. :hammerhea
I think it will work alright.......... unless she gets audited..... :eek: :wink: :cool:

WILDERTHANU
04-13-2005, 08:25 PM
This will give you the ability to get very creative if you would like to avoid some large tax consequences on selling a property prior to the 2 year mark ;)
Explain

ShannyShan
04-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I would speak to a realtor. When we sold our house we waited the 2 years, but were told we could have sold early because my husband was out of work on disability. Just make sure that they know what they're talking about.

al cole'holic
04-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Explain
..in a brief way, stop paying yourself a taxable salary and make other arrangements to "receive" money for this entire year. Your income will drop off and your only tax consequence is now your gain on your property.

al cole'holic
04-13-2005, 08:39 PM
I would speak to a realtor. When we sold our house we waited the 2 years, but were told we could have sold early because my husband was out of work on disability. Just make sure that they know what they're talking about.
...hardships, loss of job, job transfers, etc do not fall under the 2 year requirement.

NorCal Gameshow
04-13-2005, 08:47 PM
it's two years....a realtor can't give you tax advice... some realtors will just tell you what you want to hear :rolleyes: see a cpa . if there's a way they should know. renting a room doesn't make the house a rental. can you 1031 a room :confused: :D

al cole'holic
04-13-2005, 09:03 PM
it's two years....a realtor can't give you tax advice... some realtors will just tell you what you want to hear :rolleyes: see a cpa . if there's a way they should know. renting a room doesn't make the house a rental. can you 1031 a room :confused: :D
..well, now that we finally know it 2 years :rolleyes:
Good thing WILDERTHANU is not a client and I hope I told him what he wanted to hear ;)

NorCal Gameshow
04-13-2005, 09:17 PM
..well, now that we finally know it 2 years :rolleyes:
Good thing WILDERTHANU is not a client and I hope I told him what he wanted to hear ;)
:D :D :D
I said somerealtors :D :D