PDA

View Full Version : Stupid New Law

topless
04-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Did any of you hear that starting in July here in California it will be a law that you have to have your headlights on even in in the day? Sounds like just another excuse to give a ticket to me. :idea:

HCS
04-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Only when it's raining. The state capitol had a suggestion contest.
That was some ladies idea for a new law and it passed.

GHTRIM
04-14-2005, 10:17 AM
WTF.. Boy oh boy.... There are some real thinkers in Ca. :idea: Maybe they should require you to ride your brakes so the brake lights will always be on and you'll be more visible?? :D :idea:

Havasu_Dreamin
04-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Are you sure this is brand new or just the deadline for all new cars to have daytime running lights? I've got a 99 suburban and it has daytime running lights.

HCS
04-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Yep. It's going to be a new law. Turn on your lights when it's raining or you could get a ticket.

Captain Dan
04-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Yep. It's going to be a new law. Turn on your lights when it's raining or you could get a ticket.
From what I read, the law requires you to have your headlights on whenever your winshield wipers are on. This eliminates the argument of what constitutes "rain". The law can be construed to also include heavy mist or fog.
Whenever the windshield wipers are used....

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 10:41 AM
That's what I heard as well.
From what I read, the law requires you to have your headlights on whenever your winshield wipers are on. This eliminates the argument of what constitutes "rain". The law can be construed to also include heavy mist or fog.

roostwear
04-14-2005, 10:46 AM
It was my understanding that the CVC states (and has for decades) you must have your headlights on during "inclement weather". I suppose since most people don't know what "inclement" means anymore, we needed to have a law to clarify a law. :rolleyes:

Essex502
04-14-2005, 10:53 AM
"Beginning July 1, AB1854, authored by state Rep. Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto), will require drivers of any type of motor vehicle other than motorcycles to turn on their headlights when it is necessary to use windshield wipers or when visibility is limited to less than 1,000 feet.
Not all vehichles at ALL times.

HCS
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes, that's more descriptive. I don't use my wipers all the time when it's raining. So am I going to get a ticket? What if there's a cloud burst and I turn on my wipers then turn back off with out using my headlights?
What a stupid law............. :hammer2:

WYRD
04-14-2005, 11:07 AM
You have to honk your horn 3x when ever you use your cup holder too. Oh and don't forget to signal when ever you use the ashtray :crossx: :crossx:

Freak
04-14-2005, 11:09 AM
They shoulda done a law something like this - No business suites to be worn by management. So the AC temp could be raised in all the office buildings. To reduce blackouts. From the grid being overloaded.

Tom Brown
04-14-2005, 11:10 AM
We've had daytime running lights here since 1986. We're supposed to run the lights all the time. I guess you're a little behind us.
Another law you can expect in the future is that it will become illegal to operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content over 0.08%. I know that will cramp RD's style.

WYRD
04-14-2005, 11:13 AM
We've had daytime running lights here since 1986. We're supposed to run the lights all the time. I guess you're a little behind us.
style.
That is just because you rarely see the SUN TOM!! :hammerhea :crossx:

HCS
04-14-2005, 11:19 AM
That is just because you rarely see the SUN TOM!! :hammerhea :crossx:
Ya, no shit. He lives up there in the ice box. :rollside:

schlepy
04-14-2005, 11:40 AM
the law also states that when you use your windshield wipers to clean your windows you must pull over so you dont confuse other drivers that its raining.

Krazy K
04-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Say what you will, I've been driving many, many times in heavy rains when other drivers didn't have their headlights on and you could barely see them. You guys are so safe with your boats, which you drive in near perfect conditions almost always during the day, yet with your car you could care less about a law that actually makes a lot of sense in accident prevention.
Yeah, no shit! If a law like that should happen, it should happen up here where it actually rains for a long time during the year. Not where you get sprinkles and the news channels are warning you about a Storm Watch!!! :mix:

NOTALENT
04-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Yup..I heard this one...in fact I think someone on the boards here got a ticket for it...?? :confused: its some b.s..makes no since to have the lights on all the time...

topless
04-14-2005, 12:14 PM
I drive whith my headlights on too if it is raing hard or foggy but a few sprinkles here and there is ridiculous. The law SHOULD be that people who drive like s hit (and believe me there are alot of those in the IE) have to stay off the road when it rains. :idea:

Liberator TJ1984
04-14-2005, 12:15 PM
I just bought a 2005 Ford F-250SD and it does not have the automatic daytime running lights gizmo on it ....what about new vehicles there ????

topless
04-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Here's the problem with your solution, it leaves the question of whether it's raining "hard" up to the same idiots you complain about driving with. Do you think a guy that drives like "s hit" can be left to his own devices to decide when it's appropriate to turn on his headlights? Geez, half these idiots can't use a turn signal and you want them to have discretionary power over the operation of another potential accident avoiding device?LMAO!!!!! Thats why they should stay off the road Bob. Read the post again. :squiggle:

topless
04-14-2005, 12:36 PM
I should just change me damn name to Bob. :D :D

lucky
04-14-2005, 12:38 PM
i think outstanding headlights are a great idea - especialy at the river

HCS
04-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Still stupid. I see absolutly no reason for this to be a law. It might be common sense. But a LAW!

HCS
04-14-2005, 01:23 PM
There ya go. Now your talking.

schlepy
04-14-2005, 01:24 PM
i like really big bright headlights at the river. i want to lick them...

probablecause
04-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Then how are the bad driver's who suck at driving in the rain anyway going to see my middle finger if my truck's lights are on and blinding them? :idea:

Ziggy
04-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Then how are the bad driver's who suck at driving in the rain anyway going to see my middle finger if my truck's lights are on and blinding them? :idea:
Schleppy knows all about trucks being too high, eh Schlep? :wink:
I drive the route from Havasu and back with my headlights on day, night or rain, especially on Rice road....that little bit of extra visibility to others is a big plus for you and your family on two lane roads like those.
So Topless, may I suggest just running with your High(.)(.)Beams on instead..... :wink: You can test them on me if you want :p :p

clownpuncher
04-14-2005, 03:54 PM
We all hate new laws that seem to incringe on our rights. As far as this new headlight law, I'd have to be in favor of it.
Whenever I drove a fire truck, day or night, middle of summer with not a cloud in the sky, I'd have the headlights on. Why? It's usually the biggest vehicle in the city and is hard to miss, right?
The reason is my fire truck is much easier for other motorists to see when the headlights are on. Period.
Passsenger vehicles are the same way. Look around next time your on the road during a sunny day. You'll start noticing the vehicles with the day time headlights.
BTW, this law is not going into effect to generate money for the local governments. Not a whole lot of PD's have their budget revolving around how many tickets (money) they write. That just isn't the case.
If you wanna be more visible while driving your vehicle during the daylight hours, drive with the headlights on.

ahhell
04-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Lucky for me I have those automatic headlights that come on even if i drive into my garage (not INTO it but in it...never mind)
How many cops are going to stand in a downpour and write you a ticket for no headlights???? :confused:

HCS
04-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Why don't people just open there eyes and pay attention when they drive.
I think it just gives cops another reason to pull you over. And.
It also gives your insurance company another reason to (f)uck you over.
Oh! you got in a wreck? Were your lights on? No the cop sited me for it.
Oh well Mr.Smith. It was your fault. Up go your rates.

Tom Brown
04-14-2005, 04:33 PM
If you wanna be more visible while driving your vehicle during the daylight hours, drive with the headlights on.
Well said. We've had daytime running lights since 1986.
When you get to a fire and you've got your equipment all set up and you're manning a fire hose that's pumping all that water at such amazing pressure... do you like to imagine it's your ejaculate coming out of the hose?

Phat Matt
04-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Now chicks aren't going to know who to flash on Fridays. ;)

clownpuncher
04-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Well said. We've had daytime running lights since 1986.
When you get to a fire and you've got your equipment all set up and you're manning a fire hose that's pumping all that water at such amazing pressure... do you like to imagine it's your ejaculate coming out of the hose?
Have you been talking to my therapist? :D

missboatnam1
04-14-2005, 05:07 PM
hey girlie!! ...i turn mine on all the time for saftey reasons.....im just not ready to go yet :)