PDA

View Full Version : market plunges

dirty old man
04-14-2005, 12:03 PM
two days in a row, over 100 points drop. guess i better open up a gas station somewhere. anyone got any hot tips on the Dow or NASCAC ?

Mandelon
04-14-2005, 12:06 PM
1% is hardly a "plunge". :hammer2: ....think of it as an opportunity.... :D

Freak
04-14-2005, 12:16 PM
They say 3 days of 100 points drop could spark a sell off. We'll see.

I Feel the Need...
04-14-2005, 12:17 PM
two days in a row, over 100 points drop. guess i better open up a gas station somewhere. anyone got any hot tips on the Dow or NASCAC ?
Lexar It has been boucing arround like a pogo stick , buy low sell high, works every time.

mirvin
04-14-2005, 01:05 PM
How about this......With the fed promising to raise interest rates ( not just a little raise either) and the real estate market way swollen, doesn't it seem like the market is poised for a run up??
I mean, if interest rates skyrocket and people start loosing their asses in real estate (all those ARM's) won't the market shoot up?
mirvin

bigq
04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
How about this......With the fed promising to raise interest rates ( not just a little raise either) and the real estate market way swollen, doesn't it seem like the market is poised for a run up??
I mean, if interest rates skyrocket and people start loosing their asses in real estate (all those ARM's) won't the market shoot up?
mirvin
Those rates don't have a direct impact on Mortgage rates. inflation will have more of an impact if it starts to get out of control. :wink:

GHTRIM
04-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Help the economy... Sell all of your stocks and buy a bigger / faster boat!!! Hurry the market may not last much longer.... :hammer2: :hammer2: :D

Freak
04-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Looks like day 3 of a 100 point drop. How low can she go?
Using the Elliot wave.
So let’s put numbers to it, shall we? From the top in 2000, we saw a decline to about 7,100. Now, if we are beginning wave three of a five wave decline, how far down might this decline go if we decisively, atake out the 200 day moving average on the Dow today, tomorrow, or early next week?
From the high in 2000 on the Dow, which was about 11,700, the market declined in the first wave down to the 7,100 area. Roughly, that’s 4,600 points.
Then, the rebound, until the recent top a few weeks ago, at 10,700 and change, which was Wave 2 in the most bearish count, if we truly are starting a third wave decline, the minimum of the decline would be a 4,600 from 10,700.
The common relationship between a Wave1 and a Wave 3 is 1: 1.618 (*the Fibonacci ratio), which means Wave 3 would be about 1.6 times the decline of Wave 1. So, if that’s the case, and you subtract 7,442 points from the recent high just over 10,700, then you could pencil in a possible low of 3,200 to 3,300.
Remember, I told you that parabolic rally started in 1987, but really didn’t accelerate until after the flat year of 1994. At that time, we were at 3,600. So we could go back there again. A parabolic rally is not sometimes, but always – and I repeat it’s always - fully retraced.
As if this is not sobering enough, this would only put us at a completion of Wave 3. Presumably, if the Dow touched 3,600 or somewhere near that, we could see a bounce of a Wave 4 and then the development of a Wave 5.
Crazy man Crazy...

AzLakeLizard
04-15-2005, 11:46 AM
1% is hardly a "plunge". :hammer2: ....think of it as an opportunity.... :D
Isn't that when it is considered that Stocks are on sale??..
:D

Freak
04-18-2005, 04:55 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices
Wow Europe gets pounded. Today is going to be interesting...

burtandnancy
04-18-2005, 04:56 AM
By Friday pm the plunge was 4/5%. Thats a pretty fair drop. On paper it cost me a quarter mil easy. If it doesen't turn around and come back up by summer it could cost Nancy her new Preditor...

Freak
04-18-2005, 05:15 AM
Hummm...note to self "burtandnancy" = heavy hitter. :D

CNeidhart
04-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Hey Freak, I took a defensive position in gold (GLD) and it has not responded the way I would of expected. What do you think of that move?

Freak
04-18-2005, 05:37 AM
I did the same thing GLD/SILV. Long term I think it is the thing to do. So dont feel alone. :D By summer we should know.

Freak
04-18-2005, 06:11 AM
I say summer cause that little special team will try and keep the market up but too much bad news in on the horizon.
Are you aware of that special team?
Programmed trading in an utterly concentrated stock market pretty much guarantees the possibility of systematic and continual market rigging. But to accomplish this, and coordinate it with the currency and Treasury markets, some sort of orchestrating mechanism would need to exist. It does; it is known as the President’s Working Group on Financial Markets, occasionally referred to in the business press as the Plunge Protection Team. President Ronald Reagan signed it into existence on 18 March 1988, with the specific intension to avoid another stock market crash such as that of 19 October 1987.
The Working Group’s existence is no mystery. See for yourself. Go to Google and type in Executive Order 12631. You will find the Executive Order, and even a 14 November 2003 statement from Secretary of the Treasury John Snow giving a brief history of the Working Group, describing its policy advisory activities, and concluding with these words: “It also is a forum used to exchange information during market turmoil through ad hoc conference calls and meetings.”
Presumably Plunge Protection doesn’t hold these ad hoc conference calls and meetings just to be passive bystanders. Executive Order 12631 specifically authorizes them to coordinate buying: “The Working Group shall consult, as appropriate, with representatives of the various exchanges, clearinghouses, self-regulatory bodies, and with major market participants to determine private sector solutions wherever possible.”
So not only is it rigged, it is legal. :D
In a 1989 Wall Street Journal article, then Federal Reserve board member Robert Heller even suggested a market intervention strategy: “Instead of flooding the entire economy with liquidity, and thereby increasing the danger of inflation, the Fed could support the stock market directly by buying market averages in the futures market, thus stabilizing the market as a whole.”

I Feel the Need...
05-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Lexar It has been boucing arround like a pogo stick , buy low sell high, works every time.
LEXAR is up $1.00 since I posted this 3 weeks ago... not that I know anything.

cole13
05-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Freak you really feel that gold and silver are going to pull back???

Freak
05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Cole...research and do what you think is right. My guess is you have done well so far - right? Keep it up.

NashvilleBound
05-04-2005, 12:26 PM
I did the same thing GLD/SILV. Long term I think it is the thing to do. So dont feel alone. :D By summer we should know.
Gold and Platinum is a better buy for a portfolio. Silvers alright but it moves very slow...kinda old school....

Freak
05-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Cole if your still into metals and considering a change, consider waiting till next week to make that move. Some bad stuff might come together today or tomorrow. "Might" being the operative word. Hard to tell now a days.

PEBKAC
05-12-2005, 11:51 AM
REITS seem to be doing well but are high priced.. Watch PNP good west coast Company with an upfront balance sheet. Another REIT to watch would be BMR. They are much more reasonably priced.

Ivan Dan
05-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Buy real estate instead! :D

Deano
05-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Are you a day trader? What type
URBN has been good for a week.
CSCO is doing good too.
Do you want a pick??

Hallett19
05-12-2005, 01:30 PM
mirvin
yeah, and then the REO market will come back.... :devil:

Mandelon
05-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Are you a day trader? What type
URBN has been good for a week.
CSCO is doing good too.
Do you want a pick??
I think Deano knows Jim Cramer! :)

Deano
05-12-2005, 01:36 PM
I think Deano knows Jim Cramer! Or....he knows his shiat.. :)
Why...did he make those picks?

burtandnancy
05-12-2005, 04:49 PM
I saw this first posted two weeks ago, but its still relavent today