PDA

View Full Version : Okay, for you tech motor heads

dean51267
04-14-2005, 07:51 PM
(I used to be a motor head, but now I am a CPA, so I do not know shit....)
I have this 1993 model Profile, I like it, twin 7.4 carb motors, having paint added now, it will be a plenty nice boat soon enough. Boat came with 330 motors.
My CPA firm wirks mostly with automotive guys, I have one that can build anything, repair anything, do anything, but I need to tell him what to do (I save him about $20K/year in taxes, he pays me good, I consider him a friend, as well as a hell of a mechanic, and he works on a select number of very high end boats, mine will be one more).
I want a weekend runner, something I can compfortably get in and run for a week solid, while making good power.
Tell me what to do, I know race cars and race car motors (have built several) but not boat motors.....
Thanks...

Tom Brown
04-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Mount two setback brackets and 300X outboards. :cool:

Jrocket
04-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Theres a few things that you will need to figure out,what your budget will be,what HP you want,and naturally aspirated or forced induction?Those are the things to start off with.

Daytona100
04-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Buy two Teague 900,s and imco 4+4 drives and have some FUN!!! :rollside: :rollside:

dean51267
04-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Buy two Teague 900,s and imco 4+4 drives and have some FUN!!! :rollside: :rollside:
what the hell does that mean?

Tom Brown
04-14-2005, 08:04 PM
what the hell does that mean?
I think it means about 70K.

dean51267
04-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Theres a few things that you will need to figure out,what your budget will be,what HP you want,and naturally aspirated or forced induction?Those are the things to start off with.
Fast and reliable, all the power, and all the reliability, I want to balance it all.
If I want to spend three days running an easy run to Nashville, I want to be able to..........
If I want to spend 1.5days running an hard run to Nashville, I want to be able to..........

Jrocket
04-14-2005, 08:12 PM
I think it means about 70K.
That would be each!

Tom Brown
04-14-2005, 08:15 PM
That would be each!
Well, he wants it all so let's not go cheap on him. :cool:
What ever happened with that guy Imco rat focked who had to post the story here to get warrantee on a basically brand new drive because they told him it was his fault it broke before they even saw it?

Jrocket
04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Fast and reliable, all the power, and all the reliability, I want to balance it all.
If I want to spend three days running an easy run to Nashville, I want to be able to..........
If I want to spend 1.5days running an hard run to Nashville, I want to be able to..........
Your choice are really endless but to narrow it down.Maybe two 540-580in motors,naturally aspirated with EFI.That way you can setup some motor protection and still have good power from the big cubes and not have to worry about blower issues or extra water lines and such.You can have the efi setup monitor some knock sensors and also for bad gas issues.Turn key reliable,and good HP.I would go all out on a good oil pan and oiling system though.Thats a must have to me.Spend the most you can afford on good valve terrain and oiling system.it wont be cheap but still cheaper than a blower or turbo system bay far.

Jrocket
04-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Well, he wants it all so let's not go cheap on him. :cool:
What ever happened with that guy Imco rat focked who had to post the story here to get warrantee on a basically brand new drive because they told him it was his fault it broke before they even saw it?
Not sure.What happend to the guy that sat out front of Aftershock with a burnt up boat and a huge sign on his truck right off the freeway in front of the boat buisness?Had some stones then but gone now?
Anyway,Teague gets top dollar for his stuff and he uses some of the best parts out there.

Tom Brown
04-15-2005, 07:53 AM
bump

Havasu Hangin'
04-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Spend the most you can afford on good valve terrain...
Where can I get some good "valve terrain"? :confused:

Jbb
04-15-2005, 08:34 AM
My rock crawler uses an ...all terrain valve terrain.....

Tom Brown
04-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Hey Brian, have you considered putting setback brackets and outboards on that SeaDoo project boat?

canuck1
04-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey Brian, have you considered putting setback brackets and outboards on that SeaDoo project boat?
Tom, I see that you have been playing in the 2-stroke smoke again

Dave C
04-15-2005, 10:23 AM
what ever you do it is very very important to remember just one thing....... DON'T LISTEN TO TOM BROWN ;)

TPI
04-15-2005, 11:25 AM
(I used to be a motor head, but now I am a CPA, so I do not know shit....)
I have this 1993 model Profile, I like it, twin 7.4 carb motors, having paint added now, it will be a plenty nice boat soon enough. Boat came with 330 motors.
My CPA firm wirks mostly with automotive guys, I have one that can build anything, repair anything, do anything, but I need to tell him what to do (I save him about $20K/year in taxes, he pays me good, I consider him a friend, as well as a hell of a mechanic, and he works on a select number of very high end boats, mine will be one more).
I want a weekend runner, something I can compfortably get in and run for a week solid, while making good power.
Tell me what to do, I know race cars and race car motors (have built several) but not boat motors.....
Thanks...
You will first have to find a boat like yours, that runs safely with some decent power, and use it for a comparison. I am not familiar with your hull style, so I have no idea how much power it will take to make it run. You then will be faced with the fun project of "estimating" how much power your friend is going to build for you. It would be great if the motors could be run on a dyno prior to the installation, so you have a factual comparison. I am guessing you will need between 550-650 HP to accomplish your goals. That should be very easy for your builder to accomplish.

Dave C
04-15-2005, 11:54 AM
actually we need one key piece of information that was left out.
Go to your bank account and get that #$.... now tell us how much is in it?
If its less than $10,000 there is no hope. ;)

Jrocket
04-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Where can I get some good "valve terrain"? :confused:
Sorry oh perfect one,I mist spelleded a focking wurd!
But for your answer,you cant afford it so keep looking. :D