PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened to my 496 HO????

rrrr
04-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Out boating Saturday, just toolin' around with some friends. I pulled up to a buddy's houseboat, and when we were ready to leave the starter went clUnK CLuNK WhIIrrrrrrr.
So I got a tow, put it back on the trailer and off to the dealer. I stopped by this morning to talk to 'em, and the guy told me the motor was hydrolocked. That, of course, shelled the starter. So he says "We pulled the spark plugs and cleared the water, no damage to the motor".
So I'm thinking what in the f*ck happened? How did the water get in the motor, the exhaust outlets are at the waterline and quite a bit lower than the exhaust manifold.

Beer-30
04-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Jou gotta leek mayn.
Maybe the riser sprung a leak and drained down into the manifold during the downtime? How old is the motor? Year, hours?

rrrr
04-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Jou gotta leek mayn.
Maybe the riser sprung a leak and drained down into the manifold during the downtime? How old is the motor? Year, hours?
2004, 20.5 hours. The service guy said the same thing about stopping fast, but I was driving pretty easy. I guess it's a good thing I have a four year warranty. :notam:
The outlets are on the side of the boat at the waterline, it's a Chapparal 256.

Beer-30
04-15-2005, 10:42 AM
2004, 20.5 hours. The service guy said the same thing about stopping fast, but I was driving pretty easy. I guess it's a good thing I have a four year warranty. :notam:
The outlets are on the side of the boat at the waterline, it's a Chapparal 256.
Ok, too new for a leak. I would probably suspect the side-waves, boat wakes, and such that splashed at the boat while you were away? Seems too simple and also that it would be a constant problem. Keep an eye on it!

Havasu_Dreamin
04-15-2005, 10:51 AM
You should have an internal flapper on the inside of the tips to prevent water from getting in from the side. Even with the tips on the side, stopping fast could cause water to back up the tip, hence the need for an internal flapper. It also quite possible that there were internal flapper on the tips but the they got blown out by the 496. I do know that our 525 blew out the stock internal flappers.

GHTRIM
04-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Honestly I don't know F'ing Sh1t about motors... But it does sound like water went in the the exhaust.. Maybe it happened when you came off plane and shut down? :confused:

AZKC
04-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Rex Marine sells some real nice flappers that are stainless :wink: Just look them up in the catalog :220v: :skull: :crossx:

ChumpChange
04-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Rex Marine sells some real nice flappers that are stainless :wink: Just look them up in the catalog :220v: :skull: :crossx:
That right there is funny.

Dave C
04-15-2005, 11:59 AM
its never too early to spring a leak.
But I like the water came in after you stopped theory. Get some flappers and stop slower or give it some gas after you stop to outrun the "wave". :hammer2:

Havasu_Dreamin
04-15-2005, 12:18 PM
It doesn't take much to suck a flapper. Get in the habit of stopping by slowing down at a normal pace and then right before you come to a complete stop, turn the boat a little to the left or right so the water rushing up behind you goes by without hitting your exhaust.
External clamp on flappers (http://www.rexmar.com/page232.html) will prevent water from rushing up the tips.

Ducatista
04-15-2005, 12:29 PM
An internal ss flapper and a clamp on external rubber flapper should do the trick. I had to replace the origional slash cut tips that had an internal rubber flapper at about 30hours. Went with a straight cut tip with an ss internal flapper and clamped on an external rubber flapper. No problems with the newer setup in 200 plus hours.

rrrr
04-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Well, this sucks. The dealer installed a new starter and I got the boat back Friday. Ran Friday night, all day Saturday. Sunday I moved the boat from a slip to dockside, about 200 yards.
I goofed around for about three hours, and then decided to go out. Turned the key and kLuNk. Hydrolocked again. So I pulled all the plugs, #4 and #6 were full of water, #2 and #8 had some water in 'em. I took the riser off, and could see water in the manifold.
Got a compressor and blew out the manifold and cylinders for at least an hour. Couldn't get all of the water out, so said fuggit and towed it over to the ramp and put it on the trailer. Dropped it off at the dealer this morning.
I guess the manifold is cracked. The boat was stored in a heated building over the winter, so it didn't freeze.

GHTRIM
04-18-2005, 08:27 AM
At least you found the problem (although it still sucks :mad: ) and you didn't get stranded :D . And it is under warranty, right? Now just keep thinking "no more problems this summer" :D

Dave C
04-18-2005, 08:29 AM
that sucks.
where is it leaking from? The exhaust manifold or in from the risers?
I would have tore down the riser and then hooked up a hose and found the leak myself. (that way you know its been "fixed")
I hope you ain't got any "broken" motor parts. BUT you said you have a warranty.... so I guess its not too much of a problem, $ wise ;) :D

Chase
04-18-2005, 08:40 AM
OK, it sounds like I have the same type of exhaust outlet....no problems to date, but I am wondering rrrr if there is any damage to the engine...with water in the cylindes and all..?? :squiggle:

rrrr
04-18-2005, 08:48 AM
that sucks.
where is it leaking from? The exhaust manifold or in from the risers?
I would have tore down the riser and then hooked up a hose and found the leak myself. (that way you know its been "fixed")
I hope you ain't got any "broken" motor parts. BUT you said you have a warranty.... so I guess its not too much of a problem, $ wise ;) :D
It's the manifold. The risers were OK. Fortunately, the boat dealership is owned by a friend's father, so they will do the right thing. The service manager said he would pay ME for the diagnostic work I did. :eek:
On a happier note, I spent all day Saturday with eight or nine hot 20 somethings on my boat. They liked the satellite radio and the bathroom. I had to get out the Mardi Gras beads too. :D
I also caught around forty crappie, there's about 50 lbs in the freezer now. Gonna have a beeg fish fry in a few weeks.

WYRD
04-18-2005, 09:52 AM
glad you got it fixed so you don't hear anymore "clUnK CLuNK WhIIrrrrrrr" :D :D

Beer-30
04-18-2005, 09:56 AM
If the manifold cracked, it must have been a bad casting? Not impossible by any means. Things happen.

Dave C
04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
dang good to hear there was a "silver lining" in this story somewhere :)
BTW, keep that damn cracked manifold as "evidence", If they find any internal damange due to the hydrolock, blame it on them. Don't let em B.S. you. :argue:
I once bent a rod on a hydrolock so I know what your going through. :mad:
It's the manifold. The risers were OK. Fortunately, the boat dealership is owned by a friend's father, so they will do the right thing. The service manager said he would pay ME for the diagnostic work I did. :eek:
On a happier note, I spent all day Saturday with eight or nine hot 20 somethings on my boat. They liked the satellite radio and the bathroom. I had to get out the Mardi Gras beads too. :D
I also caught around forty crappie, there's about 50 lbs in the freezer now. Gonna have a beeg fish fry in a few weeks.