PDA

View Full Version : 5-blade Maximus props

nodigg
04-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Any one tried the Maximus 5-blade by Bravo yet? Any test data comparing it to the 4 blade?

RiverToysJas
04-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Hey Rick!
I've heard the 5-blades hook up so hard that people who them with a large amount of HP are breaking drives.
RTJas :D

nodigg
04-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Hey Rick!
I've heard the 5-blades hook up so hard that people who them with a large amount of HP are breaking drives.
Hey Jason! I have heard that too. Just wondering if there are any first hand accounts out there...
When you out to the water again?

Whipped Caliber
04-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Hey what He said!!!

phebus
04-16-2005, 08:56 AM
In the new Powerboat magazine, someone asked Bob Teague about using the Maximus prop, and his response was that the stock Maximus is too large of diameter and that there are only a few instances where this larger than normal diameter combined with five blades is desirable.
He went on to say that a labbed version with a reduced diameter would work excellent.
This was all in response to a guy that was asking about using it on a vee bottom Formula with a 750 hp engine.

Havasu Hangin'
04-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Hey what He said!!!
Good thing they warrantied the outdrive, though. :notam:
I think GRASS PAY$ had the same problem (slip went down, but drive bill went up).

Chromegorilla
04-16-2005, 03:23 PM
My friend has a 22' Donzi classic with a procharged 454. While prop testing he tried the maximus. He said it performed well. In the end it was about 1 MPH slower than the Hydromotive Q4 he ended up buying. He said he was happy with the maximus but it was much more $$ to start with and more exspensive to lab as well. With the 31P Hydro Q4 he's runnin 93 mph. the Maximus (forget what pitch) was runnin about 91.5 mph.

RiverToysJas
04-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Hey Jason! ....
When you out to the water again?
Was gonna go this weekend, but other stuff came up http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif .
I think Poker Run in two weeks will be our next now.

nodigg
04-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Was gonna go this weekend, but other stuff came up http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif .
I think Poker Run in two weeks will be our next now.
Might see yas' there then, thinking about getting out with PC at this time....

TPI
04-17-2005, 07:57 AM
I have tried the maximus and the Hydomotive both. They both accellerate VERY hard, and get much better fuel economy than any 4 blade(regular or lab finish). They say cavitationis limited with the 5 blades so the lower gear set is not "chattering" causing abnormal wear. But do to the increased accelleration the shafts are under more torque loading now, causing other problems. The maximus is too big for most applications(IMO) it needs to be cut down, and you need to be down at least 2" OF PITCH FROM WHERE YOU ARE USED TO RUNNING. With a 4 blade 31 lab I can cruise 4000 rpm at 74 mph and with a 5 blade 28 maximus I can cruise at close to 80 mph at the same rpm. During speed tests(over 100 mph) the maximus and hydromotive had 8% slippage which just astonoshed me on a single engine V -bottom(Howard 28 Bullet), although our best speeds and all around performance were achieved with mercury racing labs at 16% slippage. In summery: I will run a 5 blade all summer long on my boat, just because we will be "driving", pulling tubes, and hopefully fishing for stripers. I will probably run a cut down maximus 28 with a 1.35 gear ratio and 900+ HP as a combination.

nodigg
04-17-2005, 03:21 PM
I have tried the maximus and the Hydomotive both. They both accellerate VERY hard, and get much better fuel economy than any 4 blade(regular or lab finish). They say cavitationis limited with the 5 blades so the lower gear set is not "chattering" causing abnormal wear. But do to the increased accelleration the shafts are under more torque loading now, causing other problems. The maximus is too big for most applications(IMO) it needs to be cut down, and you need to be down at least 2" OF PITCH FROM WHERE YOU ARE USED TO RUNNING. With a 4 blade 31 lab I can cruise 4000 rpm at 74 mph and with a 5 blade 28 maximus I can cruise at close to 80 mph at the same rpm. During speed tests(over 100 mph) the maximus and hydromotive had 8% slippage which just astonoshed me on a single engine V -bottom(Howard 28 Bullet), although our best speeds and all around performance were achieved with mercury racing labs at 16% slippage. In summery: I will run a 5 blade all summer long on my boat, just because we will be "driving", pulling tubes, and hopefully fishing for stripers. I will probably run a cut down maximus 28 with a 1.35 gear ratio and 900+ HP as a combination.
Very informative post! Thanks for the numbers!
I have ran a Bravo 1 for 6 season now with a whippled 502 and no abnormal wear to date on the out drive. I ran a 30-32 labbed bravo 1 4-blade last summer after pumping up the boost a bit and speaking to the Merc guy at the L.A boat show in January he said about the same thing you said about going down a number or two in size with the 5-blade. What I am wondering is...if with the care I take in not hammering my drive, will the Maximus still be more likely to cause pre-mature wear/failure??
Its all theory for my application of course but I am anxious to give it a try...
Sounds like 5-8 mph gains are pretty common at this point. :)