PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers! Just got back from Havasu.

MUDXPRT
04-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Well I have a Hallett 270 with a Paul Pfaff motor that dynoed at 562 HP with 568 ft lbs torque. I put on bolt thru the transom Gibsons and went to Havasu Marina tested at 86.1 he said that was close enough and passed me and put my AZ numbers in their computer as passed. Now my cousin has a new 28' Magic Deck with a 500 HP EFI NO MUFFLERS and blew a 89-91 No pass. So we both went to site six and launched.

Beer-30
04-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Now my cousin has a new 28' Magic Deck with a 500 HP EFI NO MUFFLERS.
Your cousin isn't by chance named Dave, is he?

MUDXPRT
04-17-2005, 07:04 PM
No, Darrin.

shadow
04-17-2005, 07:38 PM
does anyone know of anyone that has been cited for being too loud?Other than the marina nothing appears to have changed.I've been out about the last 6-8 weekends and there are boats loud as ever.Today idiling under the bridge next to a boatcop and never gave us a second look.We are borderline though.There were also two very loud cats HTM and another one idiling around together under the bridge within 20 yards of baotcops both clearly in the upper 90's if not louder and boatcops never gave a second look.I'm sure if they wanted to pull someone over just to check them out they may use this reason but doen't appear from what i've seen they are in any hurry to chase someone down and nail them for noise.Sorry for the thread jack.

BLOWN HOWARD
04-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Hey Mud did Mike over at prime do your muffler install, if soo i saw your boat pretty clean how does it run with that motor?

Beer-30
04-17-2005, 07:42 PM
No, Darrin.
Ok, I know a Dave with a new 28 Magic cat, one of the last 500 EFIs.

Havasu Hangin'
04-17-2005, 07:43 PM
does anyone know of anyone that has been cited for being too loud?
My neighbor was cited for no muffling devices, but they did not meter him.
Other than the rocket scientists at the Marina, I don't think much has changed.

shadow
04-17-2005, 07:51 PM
My neighbor was cited for no muffling devices, but they did not meter him.
Other than the rocket scientists at the Marina, I don't think much has changed.
Sorry to hear about anybody getting nabbed but i think this whole deal was blown way out of porportion.Maybe if you are way loud i can see you getting hastled but just doesn't seem to be high on the LE priority list.

Havasu Hangin'
04-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear about anybody getting nabbed but i think this whole deal was blown way out of porportion.Maybe if you are way loud i can see you getting hastled but just doesn't seem to be high on the LE priority list.
I agree...I think it's the "single digit IQ club" at the Marina that seems to be hyping the noise levels...not the LE.

Wicked Game
04-17-2005, 08:00 PM
We have new 496 with no mufflers at all and passed at the marina this weekend, 84.5 dbs. Know it's not sexy, but cool for us.

Beer-30
04-17-2005, 08:08 PM
84.5 dbs
Tips must be under water at idle? That's too quiet for no muffs. My tips are above waterline and in a molded swimstep "cave". I gotta be every bit of 91+ with a stock HO.

PHOTOGLOU
04-17-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm at 113 at idle. Aaron at Absolute tested me in Jan but going through the channel and just waived to the police with a wave back.... Now they are back to kicking me out of the channel for being too big 42' BUT not a word about the db's.... I think it is just the marina.... I heard a rumor that Jeff from the marina has a son that is a boat police officer in Havasu and he is writing ticket though (don't know if thats true) Jay

Raskal
04-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Well I have a Hallett 270 with a Paul Pfaff motor that dynoed at 562 HP with 568 ft lbs torque. I put on bolt thru the transom Gibsons and went to Havasu Marina tested at 86.1 he said that was close enough and passed me and put my AZ numbers in their computer as passed. Now my cousin has a new 28' Magic Deck with a 500 HP EFI NO MUFFLERS and blew a 89-91 No pass. So we both went to site six and launched.
do you go into reno hardware in corona .

shadow
04-17-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm at 113 at idle. Aaron at Absolute tested me in Jan but going through the channel and just waived to the police with a wave back.... Now they are back to kicking me out of the channel for being too big 42' BUT not a word about the db's.... I think it is just the marina.... I heard a rumor that Jeff from the marina has a son that is a boat police officer in Havasu and he is writing ticket though (don't know if thats true) Jay
Jay i noticed there were a shitload of boats in the channel over the lenght limit this weekend.Maybe they are alittle more laxed right now between spring break and the beginning of summer.I've also heard that Jeffs son is LE.

Firewater
04-17-2005, 08:47 PM
so it looks like if you're through transom but under water with a 496, your OK?

shadow
04-17-2005, 08:50 PM
so it looks like if you're through transom but under water with a 496, your OK?
If you are under the water you will definately be ok.Probablly pretty close with a 496 anyway.

PHOTOGLOU
04-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Jay i noticed there were a shitload of boats in the channel over the lenght limit this weekend.Maybe they are alittle more laxed right now between spring break and the beginning of summer.I've also heard that Jeffs son is LE.
Two of the police officers have told me off weekends are ok but the tall balding officer says NEVER

Wicked Game
04-17-2005, 09:14 PM
If you are under the water you will definately be ok.Probablly pretty close with a 496 anyway.
I don't know about that, but I'm above the bilit swim steps and above the waterline. I have a 27 Warlock. I was surprised, but I'm in the computer :rollside:

CJ
04-17-2005, 10:05 PM
does anyone know of anyone that has been cited for being too loud?
I talked to three different sets of cops last weekend and they all said they had written over 10 tickets for noise. Now who knows how many of those tickets went to people who were being idiots versus just cruising through.

Squirtin Thunder
04-17-2005, 10:19 PM
OK I am still new to the area boating wise !!! What is the channel and where is it ???
Thanks
Jim
BTW - I have been on Lake Mohave and on the river from south of the Avi to the Laughlin/Bullhead bridge and haven't even been looked at funny by the water cops !!!

charlyox
04-17-2005, 10:22 PM
It's at Lake Havasu. It runs under the London bridge

LHC30Victory
04-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Jay, you are at 113 at idle on the trailer, but watchiing you in the water, all the exhaust is under the swimstep and in the water, so that helps bring it WAY down.

MUDXPRT
04-18-2005, 04:30 AM
Yes that was my boat a Prime Marine and yes I do go to
Reno Hardware.

sweetyellow
04-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Hello and good morning to all. We are new to the forum, and would like to know 2 couple good sites to launch. It sounds like the marina is still a pain in the A-- and there are a few other sites. We will be heading up to the lake in mid July and end of August. Can anyone suggest a few alternative launch sites?
Thanks Bill

MUDXPRT
04-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Site Six on the island all the way to the end pass Islander and Beachcomber and Winsdor Beach not on the island.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-18-2005, 07:16 AM
Cattail, which is South of town, is also a nice launch facility.

Essex502
04-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Don't tell anyone about Cattail!

Essex502
04-18-2005, 07:33 AM
To all of you who don't think noise is an issue with LE...I have spoken to the rangers are Windsor and have them on tape stating that they will be monitoring the noise issue and take appropriate action when necessary. They will usually "contact" the boat owner and inform them that they are too loud and warn them to take appropriate corrective action before returning. They're a lot more low key but are going to be reacting.

Raskal
04-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Yes that was my boat a Prime Marine and yes I do go to
Reno Hardware.
ive seen you in there a few times i drive a gray chevy hd . i am allways in talking to kirt .MUDXPRT is on you plate right .

MUDXPRT
04-18-2005, 06:19 PM
That's me I was in there tonight and they said kirk now works at whitecap in Ontario.

bohica
04-18-2005, 07:28 PM
So has Darrin learned to drive that boat yet or is he still content with 50 mph. haha
Is he gonna be up there this weekend? I heard he was gonna rent a house for the summer.

MUDXPRT
04-19-2005, 04:31 AM
Hey Dwayne, we had a family reunion there 4/16 the weather was awesome. He is still pretty content with 50 but ran it a few times up to 65.
Also yes their still trying to find a place to rent up there.

djunkie
04-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Don't tell anyone about Cattail!
Ya definately do not launch at cattail. :D :D