PDA

View Full Version : Chebby Avalanche

riverracerx
04-18-2005, 01:55 PM
I know a couple of you have the Chevy Avalanche here. Just want to know how you like them. Do you have the plastic cladding or not, do you use the midgate feature, or did you just want the shorter bed. How is the 5.3 motor?
I am looking for a used '03 or newer possibly in the next month or two and am just doing some research.
Thanks!

RidinRed
04-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Well, here goes
if I had it to do over I would push for the 2500 not the 1500. Then again she drives this one. I don't recall ever using the mid gate but, we do remove the back glass. The 5.3 runs good as do most of today's smaller motors. Tows the 25 OK, though I wouldn't much expect much with a larger load and haven't towed more then 25 +- miles. More on that when we hit LHC soon (?)
No cladding, don't care for it much plus when running bigger tires it just gets in the way. Soon it should have 33 or 35's on it, just to make the poor thing work harder.
Sorry it is so long & Good Luck

Magic34
04-19-2005, 12:29 PM
I know the vehicle fairly well. My parents have a 03 2500 8.1L Avalanche (2wd). It rides really nice, and has good power. I have used the midgate a few times. It works well for some trips to the Home Depot. The truck also has the cladding on the side.
My father in law has a 04 1500 avalanche without the cladding on the side. Haven't towed with it, but I'd do the 2500 over the 1500 every day of the week.
Both are LT's and very nice inside. I like the truck, but not big enough for me. My .02, they look dumb lifted. I like the 20-22" wheels and a nice tire on them, regardless of 2wd or 4wd. Just my opinion.
You replacing the caddy?

BowTie Rick
04-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I have a 1500 w/out cladding. Its lowered with KMC wheels, billet grill, Magnaflow cat-back, K&N intake (obviously), and a Superchip's programmer. It tows my 21' jet fine. I've used the mid gate a few times and roll without the back window frequently. I got it because there was no 1/2 ton 4-door available in the Silverado line up at that time and it was tens of thousands less than a 3/4 ton with a Duramax or 8.1L. Lots of room in the rear seat area as its the same platform as the Suburban. Would I do it again? Maybe.

riverracerx
04-19-2005, 12:50 PM
You replacing the caddy?
Looking at it. The Caddy is nice, the payments are not. I want roughly the same package but would love the bed option.
If I can find a decent used AV for 1/2 the price, I will be happy.
Anyone need a super clean Escalade AWD? :D

Magic34
04-19-2005, 12:58 PM
My parents sold the 27 Hallett, they are done with boating, so the avalanche might follow. I'll see what they will sell it for. Is 2wd OK? It's a 2500 with 8.1L white, LT, dark gray leather, with cladding. 12000 miles. Think it is a 2003 and has 18" chrome wheels on it.

riverracerx
04-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Let me know. I might be interested!

77charger
04-19-2005, 06:14 PM
my brother has one he likes it so far he got all options z71 package.The only thing he has towed was my boat back from havasu he said it did a good job.The ride is nice.he uses the rear fold down seat to make the bed bigger at times.He mainly got the av cuase he wanted 4 real doors but not the lenght of a full suze real truck.Plus he needs a truck too to haul his dirtbikes he has no complaints.He got all the gay plastic too :confused: (says if you put some dealer stuff on it it wont fade)I'll be sure to remind him when it does.

riverracerx
04-19-2005, 08:17 PM
I actually like the plastic stuff now. I used to hate it. The one without it looks just like a Silverado with a roll bar. Guess it is better to be fully gay instead of just partially? :D
I actually like the plastic painted, like the Escalade truck has.

PHOTOGLOU
04-19-2005, 09:05 PM
I have an 04 lifted 4x4 with every option I need to sell it is my ex's elec steps exhaust sunroof leather 18" wheels triple shocks up front 35" tires black on drk gray no cladding and everything is painted black 32K

Lightning
04-20-2005, 08:28 AM
I had a 2001 z71 when they first came out with a 5.3 v8.
Would I do it again ? ? - never.
That truck is heavy, and towing the boat (21' Ultra) back and forth from San Diego to the river took it's toll on that poor transmission - especially in the hot summer months. Besides the mediocre towing ability (unless you are pulling some jet ski's) I had a ton of other problems, one of them was the midgate leaking water into the cab when it would rain..... let me say that again, the midgate would leak water into the cab = not cool. In the 14 months that I owned the truck, it was in the shop almost every other month getting warranty work done; new radio, new tranny, midgate repairs (which they never solved), etc....
As far as comfort is concerned, the truck rode like a caddy - probably the one of the most comfortable riding trucks I have owned.
If you get one and plan on towing, get a 2500 w/ the 8.1. Why not get a used Duramax??? you'll get better mileage and be able to tow anything you want and not worry + you get a 100,000 miles warranty on the motor.

riverracerx
04-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Jay, I will let you know. It is a little more than I want to spend and unless it is under 6'8" it won't fit in my garage at work. :(
But it sounds cool!
Lightning, yes I have heard nothing but bad comments about the first years model, especially the midgate leakage. I believe they figured it out now, especially since the Hummer utilizes a similar system (exceot for a power window)
As far as towing, I only tow from storage to the ramp in Havasu. If it rides like a Caddy (which I have now) I will be happy!