PDA

View Full Version : Battery Box, Nice Piece, Nice Price

Dana Marine Products
04-18-2005, 06:10 PM
We figured we'd try to save our customer's from sticker shock on a cool battery box. DMP's cast machined battery boxes are available in group 24, 27, and 30. Pricing is $95.00 each including the billet step plate. Our boxes allow for easy battery service, the top and step plate can be removed quickly with two nuts. The step plates come pre-installed, no drilling or tapping required. The complete line can be viewed on our website @ www.danamarineproducts.com .
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2484dana_cast_bb.gif

phebus
04-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Is there such a thing as a low cost battery box for Optima batteries? I can't afford billet at this time, but there doesn't seem to be any options. A cast box would be nice.

Essex29
04-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Is there such a thing as a low cost battery box for Optima batteries? I can't afford billet at this time, but there doesn't seem to be any options. A cast box would be nice.
Phebus, check out RiverDave's line!!

Dr. Eagle
04-18-2005, 06:18 PM
That looks like a POS (E)
Piece of Superior (Engineering)... :D

phebus
04-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Aren't they like $125.- a pop? I need three, and was looking for a low cost option until I could afford billet.
What box is everyone using with Optimas. Everyone can't be using billet, but I haven't seen anything else advertized that fit.

mike37
04-18-2005, 06:20 PM
thats bad ass looks great but your link no work

Dana Marine Products
04-18-2005, 07:37 PM
You can use our group 24 box for the Optima top post batteries. They fit fine. We just moved, so we're expiriencing the joy of phone companies. Hopefully the site will be up and rocking tomorrow. FYI - The boxes are also available without the billet step plates. Our top is machined and modeled after our billet box, so even without the billet step plate it's a very nice looking piece. Most people can't believe it's not billet.

ROZ
04-18-2005, 11:38 PM
so even without the billet step plate it's a very nice looking piece.
Isn't the top piece going to be mandatory? I thought I heard that new coastguard regulation will be terminal covers manditory, or something to that effect.. :confused:

Dana Marine Products
04-19-2005, 06:11 AM
ROZ - That's what I heard, but it seems that it's not true. Some of our larger OEM's were recently checked and they specifically asked and the Coast Gaurd and they said that it is not necessary.

ULTRA28
04-19-2005, 06:27 AM
You must have some sort of protection (cover) for the posts. It doesn't have to be a step plate, but they must be protected.

franky
04-19-2005, 06:29 AM
ROZ - That's what I heard, but it seems that it's not true. Some of our larger OEM's were recently checked and they specifically asked and the Coast Gaurd and they said that it is not necessary.
"USCG requires each battery to be securely installed so that metallic objects cannot come in contact with the ungrounded battery terminal (33CFR 183.420)."
The interpretation is yes, you have to cover the positive terminal.

phebus
04-19-2005, 08:41 AM
You can use our group 24 box for the Optima top post batteries. They fit fine.
I'm confused, I called your shop a while back, and asked if you had a cast box to fit the Optima blue tops (top post), and I was told no. Whoever was on the phone told me that the billet boxes were all you had for Optima's.
Were you guys trying to pimp me into some billet? :D

Dana Marine Products
04-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Battery terminals must be covered, the new concern was that the entire top of the battery was supposed to be covered. The rubber terminal covers are suitable. We're always trying to pimp the billet boxes, but the new cast ones just got finished..So they weren't available. Don't get me wrong, the group 24 is not specifically designed for Optima batteries, but it will work. The difference is that it doesn't have the cool radiused inside to match the battery perfect.

Rev. Williams
04-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Aren't they like $125.- a pop? I need three, and was looking for a low cost option until I could afford billet.
What box is everyone using with Optimas. Everyone can't be using billet, but I haven't seen anything else advertized that fit.
Just look at WestMarine.com. They have boxes. I think mine were $10 bucks each and they hold my 4 Optimas perfectly!! Sure the colored billet is easy on the eye, (and if you only have 1 to buy it's not bad) but it doesn't help you go faster, run the stereo longer or get anymore b itches onboard..... So wtf are they good for??

Bryan Rose
04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Just look at WestMarine.com. They have boxes. I think mine were $10 bucks each and they hold my 4 Optimas perfectly!! Sure the colored billet is easy on the eye, (and if you only have 1 to buy it's not bad) but it doesn't help you go faster, run the stereo longer or get anymore b itches onboard..... So wtf are they good for??
Amen brother.........scripture from the boating bible.

RiverDave
04-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I have an answer for that question if you really want to hear it.
RD

bigq
04-19-2005, 01:41 PM
I have an answer for that question if you really want to hear it.
RD
Well? :confused:
I know my reason why I wouldn't use the $10.00 crap. :notam:

RiverDave
04-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Well? :confused:
I know my reason why I wouldn't use the $10.00 crap. :notam:
The answer to Jerry's question would be "Pride of Ownership" in my opinion. For alot of people they don't care what it is just so long as it works. Other people like to know that it not only works, but the wiring has zip ties every inch and it looks the part even if it's in a spot that nobody could ever look. For me personally it's all about being "trick." Not necesarrily for other people but for myself, and for the future "potential" owner of the thing in question. This same thing applies to everything in life.. Technically a car is a car, but there's a far cry from a Benzo / Bimmer to a Hyndai / Kia. Both have 4 wheels, and both will get your from point A to Point B. If you were to take some of the lowest models of one mfg, to the upper models of another you might even find some comparible performance #'s. It's when you look at the details is when you start to realize where your money went. One might have a cast iron block (probably sand casted) while the other might have a nice investment casted all aluminum block motor. etc.. etc.. Now I can go on all day with different examples of this, but I'll get back to pride of ownership aspect of things. You can take two identical cars and hand them to two different people. One person will wash the car every sunday, wax it once a month, etc.. etc.. and the other will just let it sit and not care. Even if they both maintain the same maintenance schedules the person whom doesn't take pride of ownership in their vehicle will have a shit box in a year or two, while the other will have a strong running vehicle. No explanation for it, because techinically from a "mechanical" stand point they did the same maintenance.. I saw a movie a few weeks ago, where this old english man was talking to his son and he looks over at him and sais
"You know every once in awhile an automobile needs to be cherished"
Kind hit a chord with me I guess becuase I've always been of a similar belief. Then again my "FORD" just clipped 150,000 miles and still runs like the day I bought it.
A smart man once told me when it comes to the nature of a service orientated business there is by definition a triangle. That triangle is invariably made up of these 3 components.
Quality
Lead Time
Price
As a consumer you only get to pick 2 of the triangle. Which ever of the two are the most important to you will most likely determine from who and what you buy. If the price is cheap and it's available to you right now on a consistent basis, then by definition it can't be quality.. If it's quality and available to you on a consistent basis, then by definition it's not going to be cheap, and if it's quality and cheap then it's not going to be available to you on a consistent basis (I.E. Your going to be waiting until the biz has a slow period for them to fill your order).
RD

Rev. Williams
04-19-2005, 03:33 PM
The answer to Jerry's question would be "Pride of Ownership" in my opinion. For alot of people they don't care what it is just so long as it works. Other people like to know that it not only works, but the wiring has zip ties every inch and it looks the part even if it's in a spot that nobody could ever look. For me personally it's all about being "trick." Not necesarrily for other people but for myself, and for the future "potential" owner of the thing in question. This same thing applies to everything in life.. Technically a car is a car, but there's a far cry from a Benzo / Bimmer to a Hyndai / Kia. Both have 4 wheels, and both will get your from point A to Point B. If you were to take some of the lowest models of one mfg, to the upper models of another you might even find some comparible performance #'s. It's when you look at the details is when you start to realize where your money went. One might have a cast iron block (probably sand casted) while the other might have a nice investment casted all aluminum block motor. etc.. etc.. Now I can go on all day with different examples of this, but I'll get back to pride of ownership aspect of things. You can take two identical cars and hand them to two different people. One person will wash the car every sunday, wax it once a month, etc.. etc.. and the other will just let it sit and not care. Even if they both maintain the same maintenance schedules the person whom doesn't take pride of ownership in their vehicle will have a shit box in a year or two, while the other will have a strong running vehicle. No explanation for it, because techinically from a "mechanical" stand point they did the same maintenance.. I saw a movie a few weeks ago, where this old english man was talking to his son and he looks over at him and sais
"You know every once in awhile an automobile needs to be cherished"
Kind hit a chord with me I guess becuase I've always been of a similar belief. Then again my "FORD" just clipped 150,000 miles and still runs like the day I bought it.
A smart man once told me when it comes to the nature of a service orientated business there is by definition a triangle. That triangle is invariably made up of these 3 components.
Quality
Lead Time
Price
As a consumer you only get to pick 2 of the triangle. Which ever of the two are the most important to you will most likely determine from who and what you buy. If the price is cheap and it's available to you right now on a consistent basis, then by definition it can't be quality.. If it's quality and available to you on a consistent basis, then by definition it's not going to be cheap, and if it's quality and cheap then it's not going to be available to you on a consistent basis (I.E. Your going to be waiting until the biz has a slow period for them to fill your order).
RD
Spoken like a true seller of Battery Boxes :D :D
But I believe it's just about personal preference and not really a lack of "Pride in Ownership"
If that were the case, I wouldn't be washing my boat weekly and the bottom of my motor wouldn't be as clean as the top :D

RiverDave
04-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Spoken like a true seller of Battery Boxes :D :D
But I believe it's just about personal preference and not really a lack of "Pride in Ownership"
If that were the case, I wouldn't be washing my boat weekly and the bottom of my motor wouldn't be as clean as the top :D
Personal Preference it is then.. ;) Give me a call when you want those Optima boxes. ;)
RD

Rev. Williams
04-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Give me a call when you want those Optima boxes. ;)
RD
LOL :D :D
Soon, real soon..... :D

mirvin
04-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Dang Dave...that's alot of words there.....Can someone summarize that for me??? :hammerhea
mirvin :wink:

Tom Brown
04-19-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm waiting for battery boxes that have hydraulically actuated top plates because I want to have more pride of ownership than the chumps who bought static boxes.

RiverDave
04-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Dang Dave...that's alot of words there.....Can someone summarize that for me??? :hammerhea
mirvin :wink:
Summed up.. www.waxapples.com ;)
RD

RiverDave
04-19-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm waiting for battery boxes that have hydraulically actuated top plates because I want to have more pride of ownership than the chumps who bought static boxes.
And if you weren't a Canatard I'd be more then happy to help you out with that.
RD

mirvin
04-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Summed up.. www.waxapples.com ;)
RD
WHat are you trying to say?? I know...too many words there too
:p :220v:
mirvin- less talkin' more rockin' :crossx:

Magic34
04-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Quality
Lead Time
Price
RD
OK Dave,
My degree is in economics from ASU, and you just explained supply and demand better than any of the professors that I had in college.
The only thing you missed is that if you did reach the equilibrium point on the supply/demand curve, that is the only way you could have all 3.
Just think thousands could have been saved, if I just would have attended ***boat everyday.
Dr. Riverdave (just don't get too big of a head) :D :smile:

Dana Marine Products
04-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Lets not forget that plastic tray style battery boxes break fairly easy. Makes good sense to build a 60-100K boat and use plastic battery boxes. Then when one breaks and you have a floating battery in your engine compartment you'll be able to buy another plastic one pretty cheap.

wsuwrhr
04-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Quality
Lead Time
Price
RD
One of my creedos
See sig.
I need to go wax my car.
Brian