PDA

View Full Version : reg in arizona

H20 Toie
04-19-2005, 06:11 PM
so how do i go about reg my boat in arizona? i have relatives there so i have an address to use, i believe i need to reg the trailer in calif. do i have to pay sales tax to arizona if i bought the boat from a private party in OK.

CornWater
04-19-2005, 06:14 PM
so how do i go about reg my boat in arizona? i have relatives there so i have an address to use, i believe i need to reg the trailer in calif. do i have to pay sales tax to arizona if i bought the boat from a private party in OK.
No you don't have to pay sales tax private party... you can register in AZ without an address, they allow you to register as non-resident..

Beer-30
04-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I just did this.
Well, the AZ title from the boat needed to be signed by both of us (seller and buyer) and NOTARIZED! I had to re-do that with a notary. I don't know about Oklahoma (is that where you bought it?) If there is a notary signature / stamp line on the title, you will probably need it.
Then, I just re-registered the boat in my name at my CA address, with AZ. It now has current AZ 2006 reg and still has the AZ reg number. I will probably change it to CA later. Just wanted to let the purchase get "seasoned" before I walk into CA DMV.
The trailer is pretty much the same, but it is with AZ DOT, not AZ fish and game, like the vessel. $70 got the title / reg changed on the trailer in the same fashion. The plate fell off somewhere, so a duplicate AZ plate added another $5. Same thing, I will let a year or so go by and then re-reg the trailer in CA. It will all be in AZ most of the time this year anyway.
No sales tax required.

Performance 19
04-19-2005, 06:33 PM
If you want to register in Arizona and use an AZ address, you must have Az DL or identification. A friend lives in CA and has AZ reg. Because it is non resident it is a bit more expensive. It would be cheaper for him to register in CA.

H20 Toie
04-19-2005, 06:37 PM
not after you pay luxury tax

MKE - POWER
04-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Not a luxury tax. Personal Property Tax, through your local county tax assessors office. Sucks for you, none the less.

H20skier
04-20-2005, 04:41 AM
Don't know what has changed in the regs, but for years we registered our boats and some vehicles in AZ even though our primary residence was in CA and we had CA driver's licenses. We had property in AZ and used that address. However, one year I paid for the renewal with a check imprinted with our CA address and they wanted us to pay for out-of-state registration. I didn't feel that was fair since the boat was kept in AZ and we paid property taxes there. From then on I was careful to pay for our renewals with a money order since there was no address on it.

MATTRSMAN
04-20-2005, 05:48 AM
I bought my boat new from Warlock, then I took the MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) to DMV Az and registered my boat, but to date I have no acual pink slip, I just have a registration. How would I go about selling my boat without a pink slip?
Rick

SJRS1
04-20-2005, 06:26 AM
I believe Arizonia is a Title less state, When I bought my boat last year, all I need was the signed off arizonia registration..

Essex502
04-20-2005, 07:19 AM
If you are a California resident and store the boat in California you are subject to the local county property tax each year. To NOT be subject to this tax, you must keep the boat outside California - legally. I know everyone doesn't do that but that is the way the law is written. Also, if you are a California resident you must have the trailer registered in California - no exceptions. If you have a non-California trailer attached to a California registered tow vehicle it is a HUGE red flag to the CHP. I've been told that the CHP can seize your trailer and boat if they catch you. Haven't heard of anyone having actually experienced that but told that is an option.
Private party to private party sale in Arizona does NOT need a notary. I talked to the Arizona Department of Game and Fish when I recently sold our AZ registered boat and was told that a bill of sale and the proper paperwork was all that was needed. You can get the forms from the AZ DGF online I believe.
Note: Coast Guard regulations REQUIRE you to register the boat in the state of predominant use. The Colorado River and its lakes qualify for any of the three states that we use. The California law on property tax allows any California county to assess the tax on any boat or plane within the state on January 1st that is owned by a California resident. Determination of the owner is done by the registration.
Property Tax FAQ#1 (http://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/pdf/ah576.pdf)
Property Tax FAQ#2 (http://www.ocgov.com/assessor/faq.asp#BA)

Beer-30
04-20-2005, 07:38 AM
I believe Arizonia is a Title less state, When I bought my boat last year, all I need was the signed off arizonia registration..
Yeah, that was new to me too. Just signed the back of the old "reg" and a new one came with correct info. Reg and title on one paper.