PDA

View Full Version : removing an outdrive

Essex29
04-25-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm looking for step by step instructions on removing an xr..can someone post them or point me in the right direction?
Help a brother out :)

h2oski2fast
04-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Put the drive down, put a wood block under the skag, remove the rear bolt for the rams and any external steering (if applicable), put the shifter in forward, then remove the 6 nuts that hold the drive to the gimble and pull the drive back. It's very simple to do.

Essex29
04-26-2006, 04:51 AM
no oil to drain first or anything else? any special tools required?

mike37
04-26-2006, 04:57 AM
Put the drive down, put a wood block under the skag, remove the rear bolt for the rams and any external steering (if applicable), put the shifter in forward, then remove the 6 nuts that hold the drive to the gimble and pull the drive back. It's very simple to do.
before you remove the drive you need to trim it all the way up and disconnect the speedo hose

a catered life
04-26-2006, 07:39 AM
a sledge hammer works great :p

Dave C
04-26-2006, 07:54 AM
the oil line has a special fitting. (the drive oil fitting shuts when the drive is separated from the gimbal)
Unhook everything first then remove all six drive nuts (actually leave one nut if you don't have someone helping you), then slide the drive back until the oil stops flowing from in between the drive.
also at this time the shifter cable is difficult to fish out. Its one of those cables that has the metal piece on the end. You have to do one of those spin, push and pull type deals and it will come right out. I hope you have three hands. :rollside: