PDA

View Full Version : Dumont Dunes/Glen Canyon Dam Attacked by Extreme Enviros. Closeure?:

Flying Tiger
04-26-2006, 04:02 AM
These are the same people that got a major portion of Glamis, and most of Pismo closed:
Join the American Sand Association. www.americansandassociation.org
Daniel Patterson is the extreme nutcase enviro leading the effort.
He successfully stopped the Las Vegas train, closed most of Pismo Beach and Glamis Dunes with lawsuits pending to close them 100%. He's working hard to remove the Glen Canyon dam / drain Lake Powell.
His efforts are very sucessfull.
He's in it for the money.
Don't sit back like they did in Germany. The enviro Nazis are marching.
They're coming for us!!! They hate motorsports, don't wait for the other guy to fight theses battles.
----------------------------------------
10:00 PM PDT on Monday, April 10, 2006
By JENNIFER BOWLES
The Press-Enterprise
An environmental group on Monday filed a petition with the federal government seeking endangered or threatened status for a desert-dwelling lizard, saying off-roading in wind-sculpted dunes of remote San Bernardino County is leading to the reptile's demise.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service generally takes 90 days to decide if such petitions warrant further review, said Al Donner, an agency spokesman in Sacramento.
If that's the case, Donner said, it could take another few years to determine if the Mojave fringe-toed lizard should be protected under the federal Endangered Species Act.
Off-roaders were concerned that another protected species in the desert could lead to riding limits at Dumont Dunes, much like a threatened plant has done at the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area near the Mexican border.
"With the amount of closures in the last 10 to 15 years in the desert, we feel strongly that each additional closure needs to be done in a legal and proper way," said Fred Wiley, executive director for the Off-Road Business Association, which has an office in Temecula.
Each year, some 140,000 visitors go to the 10,500-acre Dumont Dunes, said Doran Sanchez, a spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which operates the dunes.
The petition for the seven-inch, black-flecked lizard is focused on a specific population of the reptile that lives around the Amargosa River, which meanders through Inyo and San Bernardino counties. The lizard also lives in other parts of Southern California and Arizona.
Daniel Patterson, desert ecologist with the Center for Biological Diversity, which submitted the petition, said the dunes are unique habitat islands and therefore typically harbor scores of rare and native wildlife.
"They're just being hammered by off-roading," he said. "We're hoping to provide protection before they get closer to extinction."
We need to get the word out at the dunes ASAP and get people motivated now. Otherwise it may be taken away from us over the summer

lawbreaker2
04-26-2006, 05:48 AM
Why don't we all just stay inside the house so we don't upset or offend anybody or anything, Does this mean if the gov. wants to put a road thur my house I can say no you are messing with my habitat. :mad: A-hole like that need to be taken out.

Warlockjer
04-26-2006, 05:53 AM
Here lizzard lizzard lizzard :mad: :mad:

NOTALENT
04-26-2006, 06:04 AM
I guess we can just kill them all and be done with it..... :crossx:

C-2
04-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Yeah, tear down Glen Canyon. I thought that dream died when the head honcho for the Sierra Club died? Idiots. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I agree too though; all recreational users need to to stick together to make a concerted effort to quash these fools.