PDA

View Full Version : Cheap VOIP phone service

BoatPI
04-26-2006, 04:31 AM
I have had VOIP internet phne service for about a year. It is VErizon, and has had it's problems.
Last week I subscribed to SunRocket VOIP service www.sunrocket.com (http://www.sunrocket.com)
In 5 days I received the modem, a free GE 5.8 2 station phone, and all wires. After attaching it to my WAN line it was working in 5 minutes!!!
NO issues, no time spent configuring the system, just perfect dial tone and voice service.
$199.00 per year, UNLIMITED calling, USA, Canada, and PR, with all calling features, ring tones etc!!!! At about $16.90 per month this is the deal.
FYI u need a high speed net connection that is NOT DSL to make this work, and the modem can be taken with you around the world and plugged in for your local area code dialing. MOst area codes are available.

INSman
04-26-2006, 06:34 AM
I have had VOIP internet phne service for about a year. It is VErizon, and has had it's problems.
Last week I subscribed to SunRocket VOIP service www.sunrocket.com (http://www.sunrocket.com)
In 5 days I received the modem, a free GE 5.8 2 station phone, and all wires. After attaching it to my WAN line it was working in 5 minutes!!!
NO issues, no time spent configuring the system, just perfect dial tone and voice service.
$199.00 per year, UNLIMITED calling, USA, Canada, and PR, with all calling features, ring tones etc!!!! At about $16.90 per month this is the deal.
FYI u need a high speed net connection that is NOT DSL to make this work, and the modem can be taken with you around the world and plugged in for your local area code dialing. MOst area codes are available.
I have IGONET, and have one in CA and another at the Havasu house. People always inquire as to how I have an 805 number in Havasu :)

lalhc
04-26-2006, 06:45 AM
I use Vonage for my home office. You can port over most #'s w/Vonage and add 800#'s.

KLEPTOW
04-26-2006, 06:51 AM
There's nothing like putting your personal phone conversations out on the internet for anyone to spoof or listen to.

INSman
04-26-2006, 07:28 AM
There's nothing like putting your personal phone conversations out on the internet for anyone to spoof or listen to.
I have news for you my friend,
VoIp, cell, copper landline, it doesn't matter. If someone wants to listen in bad enough, you are never 100% protected. Besides, my conversations do not involve anything that critical anyway :220v:

gqchris
04-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Thats a funny comment. I think this is the last thing people need to worry about when there are 100's of OPEN Wirelesss Access Points in almost every neighborhood. Why not just tune in to cell phone calls for the good info, hell of a lot easier! :rolleyes:

gqchris
04-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I have news for you my friend,
VoIp, cell, copper landline, it doesn't matter. If someone wants to listen in bad enough, you are never 100% protected. Besides, my conversations do not involve anything that critical anyway :220v:
Exactly!

topless
04-26-2006, 11:05 AM
There's nothing like putting your personal phone conversations out on the internet for anyone to spoof or listen to.Are you worried people will hear you phone sex conversations?

dmontzsta
04-26-2006, 11:26 AM
I use Speakeasy for my business. They supply me with a T1 as well. We have been happy and I have heard no complaints, the uptime seems to be about 98%.

Boatcop
04-26-2006, 12:01 PM
There service tech just left, after hooking up my Cable VOIP phone. It's through NPG Cable. Unlimited local and Long Distance, Voice mail, Call waiting, and caller ID (none of which is available in Parker through Verizon).
It's $39.95 per month, which is a savings of about 20 bucks over what I had with Verizon and ATT long distance.
Welcome me to the 20th Century. :hammerhea

BoatPI
04-26-2006, 12:38 PM
So you know that u can dump your high priced VOIP service and bring yopur current number to Sun Rocket. I have two lines, two seperate VOIP modems with no issues. This will work on ANY cable modem or fiber optic high speed line. I am off to my new Canada place in a few days and plan on plugging into the cable modem that I am having installed. I will update this thread with the results.

Jyruiz
04-26-2006, 12:38 PM
I have had Vonage for 8 months now and would not go back, use to pay about 70 something a month before, now it is only $27.99 with tax.

ROZ
04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
I have had Vonage for 8 months now and would not go back, use to pay about 70 something a month before, now it is only $27.99 with tax.
And that's for all calls? no long distance,etc ?

BoatPI
04-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Yes, ALL calls, no tax, if you pay one year ahead for $199 until 5/1/06. And as u can see it is perhaps 50% less thatn Vonage, and they give you everything. I called their tech line to ask a question and someone answered in 10 seconds from Totonto Canada, NOT from India!!! I understood them. I have had Verizon Voicewing and it is not too good, delayed in outgoing calls at times, and some tech issues. I am going to get another Sun Rocket line and port my primary number to it then DUMP Voicewing. I think they may even give you an extra number for free too, but one line so u choose two call rings if you like. All call forwarding to ANY number in USA, Canada, or PR is free, and the virtual voice mail box so u can access you mails from any computer in the world.
Once u have this you will never go back. But you need battery backup on everything. I also suggest the base station phone be a cord phone. The Panasonic multi station phone work well and have good volume if u need more than one phone. The systems are called "expandable" phone systems, NO wires, all 5.8 gig except for the base station. So yes, u can have a Havasu prefix in NY, or any other place for that matter. U could have a marine related business in FL, and have a local Havasu number for customers to call on.
Additional numbers on VOIP phones are usually $10 per month, so u can have say 4 phone numbers, all of them with different area codes, all ringing into your modem, that is anywhere that you like. Italy, or BF Middle East for that matter.
And never tax as this is net stuff, federal rules apply.

Jyruiz
04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
And that's for all calls? no long distance,etc ?
Thats for all call's anywhere in the US and Canada, plus you get all the other features like caller ID, three way calling, call forwarding, call waiting with caller ID, voice mail, and some other I can't remember.

Boatcop
04-26-2006, 03:08 PM
SunRocket service not available in Parker.

Tom Brown
04-26-2006, 03:13 PM
...I am off to my new Canada place in a few days and plan on plugging into the cable modem that I am having installed....
I can't say I care for the turn this thread has taken. :yuk:

Red Horse
04-26-2006, 04:15 PM
I have VONAGE here in Japan. Have a Vegas and San Antonio number. Love it. VOiP is pretty secure as the modem breaks your voice into information packets and is then routed to the modem you are calling which then turns into back to voice. To intercept you are going to have to really know what you are doing. If someone wants it they are going to get it, but VOiP is pretty secure all in all. ALOT better than a cell phone anyway.

*BN*
04-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I have my entire office setup with voxee.com Nobody on the planet has a better deal than they do. Up to 40 different out going calls.
.011 per minute
I looked at sunrocket but at 199.00 per year or 16.58 per month you would have to spend roughly 1650 minutes per month to justify it over voxee.
The 2nd best deal on the planet is VIATALK.COM check them out.
I have done allot of research and testing with VOIP.
My setup consists of an asterisk server (PBX) with 14 extensions tied in and it is working flawlessly with caller id, voice mail, digital virtual secretary....etc.

BoatPI
04-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Sorry Mr. Brown, I did warn you that an O.C guy was buying a place in Canmore. I take possession on 5/1/06.

lalhc
04-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I like the website interface Vonage provides. You can forward your calls to any other phone, you can s/u to receive a text message when someone leaves you a VM, and if my internet service goes out, all my calls are forwarded to a predetermined #. There's many more features than just caller id, call waiting, and vm. The only downside to these services is the 911 dialing. Vonage makes you sign waiver after waiver that explains their 911 routing is different than normal telco companies.

BoatPI
05-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I just arrived in Canada and plugged the SunRocket modem into the hotel room cable plug, and in 5 minutes it was working on "714". Pretty trick.