PDA

View Full Version : OK, how much do you charge??

superdave013
04-21-2005, 09:22 AM
I have to ask this because I read all the time about people that think they pay to much for some service or another.
I myself have at least 2 people each week that want me to spend hours (most of the time all day) on their project. Now they don't mind paying for the parts (as long as it's some kind of no tax bro deal that can't be done) but they have a real problem when it comes to paying for any of my time.
I often wonder how much these same people charge for their time. So now I'm asking. How much would it cost to tie you up for lets say 4 hours? Yeah, that's it, how much would 4 hours of your time cost a guy? Not what you get paid but how much does your client get charged?

dicudmore
04-21-2005, 09:25 AM
body shop...
$38/hr metal
$55/frame
$88/mechanical
$150 if you (customer) worked on it first :wink:

Captain Dan
04-21-2005, 09:25 AM
4 hrs @ $135 = $540.00

superdave013
04-21-2005, 09:31 AM
4 hrs @ $135 = $540.00
That's pretty much what the guy charges who had me working on his '56 chevy race car last night. All he talked about was the fact that he charges 110.00 per hour. When I gave him his bill he started grinding me for the no tax and so many % off. I told him I was already giving him a 440.00 break in labor if I charged him the same as he would charge me. lol

HOSS
04-21-2005, 09:34 AM
A minimum of 50 per hour. I have a diagnostic fee of 1 hr. I will however roll that 1 hour into the price if you get the service done by me. If not,,,,push that mutha phuca in the street.

Sleek-Jet
04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
$150 if you (customer) worked on it first :wink:
I knew it... :D
I try to do as much wrenching on my vehicles as I can to save money (and piece of mind, at least I know what has been done). It never fails that when I take the car or pickup in to get somthing done I can't do in my garage, oh let's say an alignment for example, I get raped on shop hours to make up for the parts I didn't buy... :mad:
Keeping with the alignment theme, I've had shops want to change brand new bushings, tie rods, drag links, pitman arms, you name it. When I say that I just replaced them, my 80.00 alignment suddlenly takes 4 yours at 80.00/hr... fockers....
...present company accepted of course.

boatnam2
04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
i say any custom shit on a boat 100 .let them take it to a shop and have some 10 dollar an hour shop jockey wrench on the shit if they dont like it and there still paying 85 to 90.

WYRD
04-21-2005, 09:49 AM
If it is for a friend usually 6-8 beers :D

HOSS
04-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Now alignments are a whole different ball game. :D :D :D

dicudmore
04-21-2005, 09:54 AM
I knew it... :D
I try to do as much wrenching on my vehicles as I can to save money (and piece of mind, at least I know what has been done). It never fails that when I take the car or pickup in to get somthing done I can't do in my garage, oh let's say an alignment for example, I get raped on shop hours to make up for the parts I didn't buy... :mad:
Keeping with the alignment theme, I've had shops want to change brand new bushings, tie rods, drag links, pitman arms, you name it. When I say that I just replaced them, my 80.00 alignment suddlenly takes 4 yours at 80.00/hr... fockers....
...present company accepted of course.
I've had "brand-new" pitman etc that were loose (brought in for align) and tried to sell a new one.
FYI alignment times are listed in Labor Guides (like Mitchell) and to charge somebody more is a real gouge as the times are very fair for somebody competent

ratso
04-21-2005, 09:57 AM
$50 per hour on fiberglass work
$55 per hour on mechanical
$25 per hour for friends that return the favor

superdave013
04-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Now that we are talking alignments maybe one of you can answer this.
Why is it more to align a small truck (Toy or Ford Ranger) then a car?
They tell me it's because it's a truck. I don't understand the difference I guess.

HOSS
04-21-2005, 10:00 AM
If its got shims then its in general more. But FYI I charge 45 for afront wheel alignment. 79.99 for a four wheel. But the only reason its more would be because of shims.

bohica
04-21-2005, 10:01 AM
My hourly billing rate is $460/hr. :jawdrop:

dicudmore
04-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Now that we are talking alignments maybe one of you can answer this.
Why is it more to align a small truck (Toy or Ford Ranger) then a car?
They tell me it's because it's a truck. I don't understand the difference I guess.
must be the "truck" labor rate....
here its a menu price...$38.95 2-whl align, $69.95 4-whl

dicudmore
04-21-2005, 10:02 AM
If its got shims then its in general more. But FYI I charge 45 for afront wheel alignment. 79.99 for a four wheel. But the only reason its more would be because of shims.
yup, shims...

jbtrailerjim
04-21-2005, 10:03 AM
My shop rate to my regular high volume customers is $45.00 an hour.
For on site work for those customers it is $50.00 an hour
Anybody off the street gets charged $55.00 an hour shop rate.
If my freakin workmans comp and liabilty insurance does not go down soon, I'm raising my rates again!! :mad:
Oh, and working on friends stuff means low profit (if any at all)and I'd rather not do it. :messedup:

Sweet Addiction
04-21-2005, 10:04 AM
$50 per hour on fiberglass work
$55 per hour on mechanical
$25 per hour for friends that return the favor
See in Texas you hook a Texan up. :D Favor for Favor.

ratso
04-21-2005, 10:06 AM
My hourly billing rate is $460/hr. :jawdrop:
You must work for the same law firm that I'm using... :notam:

Sleek-Jet
04-21-2005, 10:10 AM
I've had "brand-new" pitman etc that were loose (brought in for align) and tried to sell a new one.
FYI alignment times are listed in Labor Guides (like Mitchell) and to charge somebody more is a real gouge as the times are very fair for somebody competent
I have the best luck going to an independant shop vs. a chain store like Goodyear/Gemini or Big-O.
The independant guys usually just charge an hour to allign and be done with it. I've had a couple argue with me about one thing or the other (usually for something I don't need done like lubing the flugal straps :idea: ) I just pay them for the time they have on the w/o, and have them back the car out of the service bay.
Back to the main subject, I used to do avionics work on the side and usually charged 50.00/hr (about 3/4 the shop rate of the shops most people would take their airplanes to, which were also at least an hours flight away). One big reason is I had no overhead. I worked in the clients hanger (or one I had access to) and had the client order all the parts/radios needed for the job. All I kept on hand was wire and misc. connetors and such. It all fit in a big plastic container in the back of my Blazer. I would charge a minimum number of hours depending on how far I had to drive, but for the most part, everyone paid willingly with few complaints.

RiverDave
04-21-2005, 10:19 AM
If it's something I'm interested in (friends boat that strikes my fancy) then whatever beer it takes to complete the job.
If it's a "customer" depends on if he bought the parts off me or not. If he did I try to help out whenever possible.
If it's just "some guy" it would depend on what I have to do I suppose.. 2 - 300 bucks?
RD

victorfb
04-21-2005, 10:20 AM
hummmmmm? you mean i can charge people money? now thats a bitchin idea. :squiggle:

riverbound
04-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Gen. labor $45.50 hr.
Skilled labor $55.50 hr
specialty labor $65.50 hr
C.A.D. $75.50 hr
Engineering $85.50 hr
I bill out @ $95.50 hr.

HM
04-21-2005, 10:25 AM
If you have to ask, you can't afford me. :cool:
Hourly rate should be flexible. If you have a longer job that nearly any monkey can handle, then you could have a basic rate. But, if you have another job that you put your special wammy on, but can do it very quickly, like say a C-500 rebuild, then you can charge the value-added rate. I am all about a good deal, but looking back...my good deals have cost me more money than when I stepped up a paid the expert what he should be paid. In the long run, the expert was cheaper.
let's see if RD is paying attention.

Spotondl
04-21-2005, 10:29 AM
$85/hour for general computer problems plus travel time
$65/hour for friends and high volume customers
$110/hour for network infrastructure design & consultation
$75/hour for cabling, data, phone, & video
Unfortunately I have been charging the exact same rates for over 10 years now because the computer business has deteriorated into a pure commodity. There is always some kid out there that thinks they can do a job because they grew up on computers therefore they know how to do anything. Rates stay the same, business slows down, something is not working here... ME!!! :(

superdave013
04-21-2005, 10:38 AM
getting some good feedback here. time to stop whoring myself out so much.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-21-2005, 10:41 AM
times are listed in Labor Guides (like Mitchell) and to charge somebody more is a real gouge as the times are very fair for somebody competent
Hence my message about getting my power window motor replaced at Sierra Chevrolet in Monrovia. We'll see what he says tomorrow when he calls me with an estimate.

riverbound
04-21-2005, 10:45 AM
At my old shop, Our labor charge was between $50hr and $75hr. depending on which techniciasn was working on it. Custom jobs were quoted @ $500-$700 a day. Or if it was a month long Job Labor was $10k-$15k. But there were definitely times we w hored our selves out just to get the job. We also did a lot of "bro" deals. The funny thing the more you charge someone the happier they were. I cant think of one time where we really w hored our selves out and it worked out for both parties involved.

HM
04-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Yah, pretty yourself up and go for the "call girl" title. And get your money up front like a pro. LOL
Seriously, I have heard from the guys that try to get the fair price that the biggest thing they fight is that other people cave to being a whor e way too easy. So, after they get Rex (just a hypothetical or is it?) to cave, then they call BeaverFab (just another hypothetical or is it?) who caves, then they call you - and what is their expectation? Then you don't cave...then threads get started on how you gouged them on a twin engine service (just a hypothical or is it?).
:smile: :rolleyes: :smile:

RiverDave
04-21-2005, 10:55 AM
If you have to ask, you can't afford me. :cool:
Hourly rate should be flexible. If you have a longer job that nearly any monkey can handle, then you could have a basic rate. But, if you have another job that you put your special wammy on, but can do it very quickly, like say a C-500 rebuild, then you can charge the value-added rate. I am all about a good deal, but looking back...my good deals have cost me more money than when I stepped up a paid the expert what he should be paid. In the long run, the expert was cheaper.
let's see if RD is paying attention.
Are you talking about my C500 rebuild? :D
RD

Sleek-Jet
04-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Not saying anything about your skills as an avionics guy, but what kind of liability did that present to you? What if a guy crashed and blamed you, what would happen?
More than I'm worth... I signed off my own installs under my airframe ticket and brought in an IA when needed, and filed all the necessary forms and such. As far as the FAA was concerned, everything was legal. From a liability stand point, the sky is pretty much the limit. I did have an LLC set up to work under, but it wouldn't take a legal genius to blow through that.
You just hit the nail on the head as to why alot of aviation business aren't around anymore... :frown:

HM
04-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Are you talking about my C500 rebuild? :D
RD
What? Huh? Who me? :D :D :D

Oldsquirt
04-21-2005, 11:04 AM
The funny thing the more you charge someone the happier they were. I cant think of one time where we really w hored our selves out and it worked out for both parties involved.
That's because when you w-hore yourself out you are usually doing it for someone who wants twice the normal value for half the normal price. Those people are NEVER happy with what they get.
The techs I know that do side work usually charge a minimum of $50/hour to friends up to maybe $100/hour to others. Shop rates in this area run from $100 to $135/hour.

Ziggy
04-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Customer labor rate $95 per hr.
Warranty labor rate $102.50

LHC30Victory
04-21-2005, 11:07 AM
That's because when you w-hore yourself out you are usually doing it for someone who wants twice the normal value for half the normal price. Those people are NEVER happy with what they get.
The techs I know that do side work usually charge a minimum of $50/hour to friends up to maybe $100/hour to others. Shop rates in this area run from $100 to $135/hour.
I learned a long time ago that for friends/ family and the like either you do it for free (they have nothing to complain about later if it is not to their liking) or you charge full (so that YOU don't feel bad going back and re-working it if needed).
Now people that take advantage of the free part....Dump em

Oldsquirt
04-21-2005, 11:07 AM
That's one way to make up for the reduced times that warranty pays. Techs know about this? ;)

MudPumper
04-21-2005, 11:14 AM
In the concrete pumping business I charge $150 just to show up, $8 per yard to pump, $2 dollars per foot for hose length over 200', $2 a min standing time if it takes longer than 45 min to unload a truck, and a about $100 per hour standing time for improper schedualing of the concrete. Boy it sure adds up fast :D :D

Ziggy
04-21-2005, 11:20 AM
That's one way to make up for the reduced times that warranty pays. Techs know about this? ;)
Actually it was BMW's doing to up the warranty due to lost retail revenue. With the free maintanence and long warranties 75% of the work gets billed via the warranty.

Oldsquirt
04-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Kinda the same for us. More and more of the normal maintenance stuff is "warranty". Killing us out in the shop with the sh*t times they pay. We're on hourly with a "bonus" so it hurts us. Feel worse for the "flat-rate" guys.

Ziggy
04-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, its still shitty but its ever so slightly better than a kick in the junk.

Essex502
04-21-2005, 12:00 PM
My billable rate when I was consulting was $250/hr, two hours minimum, portal to portal, time and materials. Did I get that? Nooooo....but the consultimg firm did. I made a lot less than that. now that I am retire back into industry I make somewhat less but with a lot less hours and headaches.

Essex502
04-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Your rate is a lot less than South Bay BMW where I just picked up the wife's car....$1,400 and change for replacing the intake manifold gaskets, thermostat, crankcase ventilation valve and reprogramming the ECM. 6 hours labor for that at $135/hr. Less than $300 in parts. Plus taxes of course. They did throw in a nice loaner X3 though for the overnight travel needs.

Screaming Pete
04-21-2005, 12:34 PM
I don't charge friends for thier work I usually figure out a way to get it printed on a clients press sheet or work things out in trade. I do suprise some of my friends that do work for me with thier favorite drink by the case or large bottles just before a river trip. That away they never mind helping me. Is that right???

Jbb
04-21-2005, 12:56 PM
I charge customers for paint and bodywork...based on their ability to pay.....I love the poker run crowd just for that reason.... :smile:

Ziggy
04-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Your rate is a lot less than South Bay BMW where I just picked up the wife's car....$1,400 and change for replacing the intake manifold gaskets, thermostat, crankcase ventilation valve and reprogramming the ECM. 6 hours labor for that at $135/hr. Less than $300 in parts. Plus taxes of course. They did throw in a nice loaner X3 though for the overnight travel needs.
Its getting crazy out there..shop expenses are going thru the roof. Most dealers are at or above the $100 mark...Get up into the Bay area where there are a few Union shops and it gets stupid crazy :jawdrop:
X3 and some 325's loaners here ;)

RiverForUs
04-21-2005, 10:00 PM
So much for asking you to help me get my pocket bike running again. :confused: It hasn't been started in a few months and I couldn't get it going the other day. :frown:

Jordy
04-21-2005, 10:04 PM
My in shop rate for trucks/generators is $105 an hour. My in shop rate for motorhomes/coaches is $115 an hour. Road rates are a little higher plus windshield time and mileage at about $1.05 a mile. It's not easy being the best truck and generator shop in town. ;)

H2OT PURSUIT
04-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Fiber Optics Training $75.00/Hr.

wsuwrhr
04-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Tried to tell you this.
Brian

Rexone
04-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Dave back in the day I used to plumb alot of boats in ss line at my speedshop. I charged $25 hr plus parts. This was around the late 70's. Now it's 30 years later. Multiply for inflation you should be getting at least $50 hr if not more (prolly more). Of course that's if you're workin and not just poundin silvers along with the boat owner. :cool:

Infomaniac
04-22-2005, 03:25 AM
I charge 600.00 that includes dinner and intimate moments 4-5 hours. More if she's fat. :)
Shop rate is 56.00 per hour and 65.00 CNC time.
I ***** myself out to boaters for 300.00 a day

superdave013
04-22-2005, 06:11 AM
So much for asking you to help me get my pocket bike running again. :confused: It hasn't been started in a few months and I couldn't get it going the other day. :frown:
Hey, my pocket bike runs like crap too. I was hoping you were the expert. :notam:

superdave013
04-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Tried to tell you this.
Brian
Gotta learn the hard way I guess.

sorry dog
04-22-2005, 06:24 AM
I charge 600.00 that includes dinner and intimate moments 4-5 hours. More if she's fat. :)
Shop rate is 56.00 per hour and 65.00 CNC time.
I ***** myself out to boaters for 300.00 a day
Wow, your cheap man.
My girlfriend charges at least a grand an hour.

sorry dog
04-22-2005, 06:25 AM
I charge customers for paint and bodywork...based on their ability to pay.....I love the poker run crowd just for that reason.... :smile:
What's the going rate on S10 repair?

Jbb
04-22-2005, 06:28 AM
What's the going rate on S10 repair?
Very very expensive........ :cool:

dirty old man
04-22-2005, 07:14 AM
I used to think $1.00 per minute was minimum, but looks like its gone up. Dealers here in Vegas make more than that in tips