PDA

View Full Version : Bad boat collision at my lake tonight

rrrr
04-23-2005, 12:37 AM
I just got home after a really bad night. On Fridays we all hang at the floating restaurant, eating, drinking, and singing karaoke. Around 11:30 one of our friends called and said he had collided with another boat.
We all jumped in my boat to go help. Our buddy said he was towing the stricken boat in. We arrived on the scene a few minutes later. The boat that was hit had been sitting a few hundred feet off the shoreline with no lights. Brian towed it to the closest boat ramp.
When I arrived, the boat was sitting in 3 or 4 feet of water. I saw a guy in the boat covered in blood. I grabbed my first aid kit and put on some latex gloves.
Here's the preachy part. Anyone out there have a first aid kit, some gloves, and a bit of training? You'd be surprised.
Anyway, I docked at the courtesy dock and ran off the boat. The entire front end of the 20' Glastron was gone. There was shattered glass everywhere, and splintered fiberglass was all over the nose of the boat.
The guy that was the passenger was in bad shape. He had lacerations all over his skull, and some probable broken ribs. I tried to clean him up with Betadine wipes, and after a few I said fuggit. He was a mess. I got out some 6 X 4 compresses and wrapped his head with 2" gauze.
I was cut by all of the shelled windshield glass. As I manuevered to help the guy, the boat was sinking. When the EMS guys showed up a few minutes later, I yelled at them to bring a backboard NOW. We got him out of the boat as it finished sinking in 6 feet deep water.
I'm fuggin' tired, gooing to bed now.

TheLurker
04-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Props to you rrrr for helping. I hope the guy pulls through.

Kilrtoy
04-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Since you were all drinking, who drove you out there????????
Good job hopefully you saved his life. What about the rest....
I have alot more questions?????
anyhow...
Again good job, these people were lucky you were there and had the proper training to assist them.

JetBoatRich
04-23-2005, 04:24 AM
Good job rrrr we keep a first aid kit in the boat as well :jawdrop:
As I read you post, I had the same question as Kilrtoy, who drove? We met at CBBB and you seem pretty responsible able drinking and driving.

Mrs CP 19
04-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Wow!! great job, they were lucky to have you around! We do keep a first aid kit, but today I am throwing in some latex gloves, what a great idea, never occured to me . Thanks, and again, great job. Jill

diggler
04-23-2005, 07:59 AM
I just got home after a really bad night. On Fridays we all hang at the floating restaurant, eating, drinking, and singing karaoke. Around 11:30 one of our friends called and said he had collided with another boat.
We all jumped in my boat to go help. Our buddy said he was towing the stricken boat in. We arrived on the scene a few minutes later. The boat that was hit had been sitting a few hundred feet off the shoreline with no lights. Brian towed it to the closest boat ramp.
When I arrived, the boat was sitting in 3 or 4 feet of water. I saw a guy in the boat covered in blood. I grabbed my first aid kit and put on some latex gloves.
Here's the preachy part. Anyone out there have a first aid kit, some gloves, and a bit of training? You'd be surprised.
Anyway, I docked at the courtesy dock and ran off the boat. The entire front end of the 20' Glastron was gone. There was shattered glass everywhere, and splintered fiberglass was all over the nose of the boat.
The guy that was the passenger was in bad shape. He had lacerations all over his skull, and some probable broken ribs. I tried to clean him up with Betadine wipes, and after a few I said fuggit. He was a mess. I got out some 6 X 4 compresses and wrapped his head with 2" gauze.
I was cut by all of the shelled windshield glass. As I manuevered to help the guy, the boat was sinking. When the EMS guys showed up a few minutes later, I yelled at them to bring a backboard NOW. We got him out of the boat as it finished sinking in 6 feet deep water.
I'm fuggin' tired, gooing to bed now.
Man oh man, I'm sorry to hear about this!
Was this on Lake Grapevine or Lake Lewisville?

rrrr
04-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Well I finally got up and showered. I stayed up til 4:30 AM I was so freaked out. Jeezus, I have glass cuts everywhere. The bottoms of my feet are shredded.
Kilr, I had been at the lake less than two hours when it happened, had been at my shop putting in a battery charger in the boat. I was still eating dinner when we got the call, so I hadn't even gotten to beer number three.
I'm really amazed the guy is alive, because I think I know what put two huge lacerations on the front and back of his skull..... The propeller. There were prop strike marks all up the port side of the boat right over the passenger seat where the guy was sitting. The seat was ripped out of the floor, and from there forward the upper half of the hull above the shoebox joint was just gone, along with two feet of the nose.
Once again we talk about boating at night. I am damn careful when I do it, and I won't go on plane within a half mile of shore. This happened several hundred yards from shore in front of a marina cove. My friend was driving a 27' Baja, not the greatest thing to see out of. There is a full moon tonight, so he should have been able to spot the boat easily if he was paying attention.
I can't stress enough that some medical training can save a life, and you have to make decisions and act quickly. I had to yell at the firemen and EMTs to get after it, they all wanted to walk onto the boat for a look instead of grabbing their stuff and treating the guy. In a situtation like this someone has to take charge and give orders, they sure didn't act like there was a leader in the group.
I'm gonna eat breakfast and go to the lake, if the boat is still there I'll take some pictures.
Diggler edit: Happened on Lake Lavon

MsDrmr
04-23-2005, 08:02 AM
what a wonderful thing you did for them. I am sorry thats how your evening wound up, but you did the right thing (and you know it) All boaters should have a first aid kit in their boat, and make sure each year that the materials in there have not expired.

Wicky
04-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Since you were all drinking, who drove you out there????????
Auto pilot!!! :D
Kudos RRRRR!! I'd go boating with ya anyday!!

GHTRIM
04-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Great work rrrr. CPR and a gereral knowledge of how to handle a situation like this is a must... Hopefully you will be able to check on the guy and he is fine. It is too bad a lot of Civil Servants do not show the sence of urgentcy (sp?) you did.. :confused: :frown:. I have witnessed it first hand as well. Again... Great Job.. :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your rough night, but I'm glad you were close by. I'll be putting some gloves in our first aid kit. Keep us posted on the details.
p.s. you do karaoke? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_1_125.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm39696US')
LOL

phebus
04-23-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm a paramedic. My first aid kit on my boat probably slows me down about 1 mph. Well worth it if I can help someone.

rrrr
04-23-2005, 10:31 AM
I talked to a friend that spoke to the driver of the Baja. Turns out the Glastron came out of a cove at high speed with no lights and t-boned the Baja. The Glastron submarined under the Baja and turned. It went under the Baja enough for its prop to strike the port side of the Glastron, so they must have been hauling ass.
Another buddy said after I left a rollback pulled the Glastron out, and it was full of empty beer cans. :yuk:
My friend driving the Baja has been cleared of any wrongdoing. I'm heading out to look at his boat.
And Angie, I do karaoke just like everyone else. Badly. :D

GHTRIM
04-23-2005, 10:35 AM
I talked to a friend that spoke to the driver of the Baja. Turns out the Glastron came out of a cove at high speed with no lights and t-boned the Baja. The Glastron submarined under the Baja and turned. It went under the Baja enough for its prop to strike the port side of the Glastron, so they must have been hauling ass.
Another buddy said after I left a rollback pulled the Glastron out, and it was full of empty beer cans. :yuk:
My friend driving the Baja has been cleared of any wrongdoing. I'm heading out to look at his boat.
And Angie, I do karaoke just like everyone else. Badly. :D
Oh, Boy time to get the popcorn here comes all of the "drinking and boating divas". :D
Good thing it wasn't worse than it was..

tmatson
04-23-2005, 10:46 AM
All of this reinforces my theory that the most dangerous time to be on the water is after sunset. Seems like that is when the majority of the accidents occur. Be safe. :frown: :frown: :frown:

AirtimeLavey
04-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Damn, what a story...especially hearing about what you think hit that guys head. Great work on your part. Hopefully that guy comes away alright. Glad your friend has been cleared, that'd a been a tough one to live with.

Dr. Eagle
04-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Good job man! Boat crashes seem to often end in instant dismemberment, the guy is lucky his head is still attached. I always carry a fully stocked first aid kit on my boat as well.
Note: When I struck the prop with my knee in my eliminator about 5 years ago, the guys giving me first aid emptied pretty much the entire trauma supplies from 3 first aid kits. make sure you carry a large one.
Glad you were there to take charge!

KLEPTOW
04-23-2005, 11:06 AM
These night collisions seam to be happen more and more, but I like being out at night enjoying the peace and relative quite of Lake Havasu. Think it's time to look in to a radar.

Dr. Eagle
04-23-2005, 11:19 AM
These night collisions seam to be happen more and more, but I like being out at night enjoying the peace and relative quite of Lake Havasu. Think it's time to look in to a radar.
Or Night Vision scope.... :supp:

Wicky
04-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Oh, Boy time to get the popcorn here comes all of the "drinking and boating divas". :D
Good thing it wasn't worse than it was..
Ahhh yes, let the hypocrisy begin!!

ahhell
04-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Great job!!! a first aid class and a basic kit go a long way...

Blownboat
04-23-2005, 12:42 PM
In response to your yelling and taking charge comment .Even though you felt compelled to help,you should not bash on the firemen.I dont know you or your training but most trained experienced individuals dont get rattled as much as others that dont see that kind of stuff every day. To some, that might look like they dont really care. Most departments have protocal and are very highly trained and the first step is to remove from danger,then treat the injured. You said yourself the boat was sinking. Congrats on yourself for trying to help ,but you should not bash the profesionals!!!!The reality of it is in a true life threatning emergency a little 1st aid kit is not going to save some one. The ones with the proper tools( iv fluid ,drugs,rapid transport, ect) are the ones that can give this person the best chance of survival. The best thing you can try and do is to remove the patient from any other danger,example if the boat was sinking! I guess what I am trying to say is take a calculated risk,if you dont have the proper equipment ,limit your exposure, you said you got all cut up,so obviously you were exposed to his blood! If what you are trying to do with limited supplies is not going to affect the outcome and you risk getting aids or who knows what else ,dont do it. Just try to stabilize the scene and call for help asap. Make a calculated risk! Remember you didnt cause the situation,be calm and please dont scream at the profesionals,let them do their job,thats what they are trained and payed to do!Thanks ,Charlie :boxed:

Bense468
04-23-2005, 01:02 PM
In response to your yelling at the firemen and taking charge comment! :( Even though you felt compelled to help,you should not bash on the firemen.I dont know you or your training but most trained experienced individuals dont get rattled as much as others that dont see that kind of stuff every day. To some, that might look like they dont really care. Most departments have protocal and are very highly trained and the first step is to remove from danger,then treat the injured. You said yourself the boat was sinking. Congrats on yourself for trying to help ,but you should not bash the profesionals!!!!The reality of it is in a true life threatning emergency a little 1st aid kit is not going to save some one. The ones with the proper tools( iv fluid ,drugs,rapid transport, ect) are the ones that can give this person the best chance of survival. The best thing you can try and do is to remove the patient from any other danger,example if the boat was sinking! I guess what I am trying to say is take a calculated risk,if you dont have the proper equipment ,limit your exposure, you said you got all cut up,so obviously you were exposed to his blood! If what you are trying to do with limited supplies is not going to affect the outcome and you risk getting aids or who knows what else ,dont do it. Just try to stabilize the scene and call for help asap. Make a calculated risk! Remember you didnt cause the situation,be calm and please dont scream at the profesionals,let them do their job,thats what they are trained and payed to do!Thanks ,Charlie :boxed:
amen Blown Boat.
Props to you RRRRRRRRRRRR for stepping up to the plate.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-23-2005, 01:09 PM
From what I know of Ron, he is an unusually level-headed and calm person. I am quite certain that he did not "scream" at the first responders. However, if I was in the same situation, I would not have allowed them time to be "lookie-lous" and check out the situation due to their natural curiousity. It seems strange that they didn't have their bags out and ready to work(at least that's the impression I got). Every time I have seen emergency personel arrive at a scene, they have bag in hand as they get out of the vehicle and go right to work. When these guys arrived at the scene, the people there already were the experts on the danger. Granted, you usually don't have someone there with a clear head, but sometimes (as in this case) you do. I guess what I'm trying to say is that emergency personel make mistakes also. If Ron and his friends hadn't been there, the emergency personnel may have been busy saving their own skins from a sinking boat rather than someone elses.

Blownboat
04-23-2005, 01:26 PM
I am not attacking your friend ,just a little food for thought. When medics arrive on scene they have enough thoughts going through their head,the last thing they need is someone telling them what to do,I dont think any trained crew is going to let a civilian take control of the scene,wether you have training or not!The last thing they need to deal with is someone like this when they are trying to help the patient,it only makes it worse! I am not saying that all fire and ems crews are perfect,they are only human. You should probably call the department and file a complaint if you think they are not doing their job properly. Again it was great of your friend to help,just be careful and those men do that job for a living they deserve a little respect!! ;)

Dan Lorenze
04-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Very cool rrrr....

mike37
04-23-2005, 03:05 PM
In response to your yelling and taking charge comment .Even though you felt compelled to help,you should not bash on the firemen.I dont know you or your training but most trained experienced individuals dont get rattled as much as others that dont see that kind of stuff every day. To some, that might look like they dont really care. Most departments have protocal and are very highly trained and the first step is to remove from danger,then treat the injured. You said yourself the boat was sinking. Congrats on yourself for trying to help ,but you should not bash the profesionals!!!!The reality of it is in a true life threatning emergency a little 1st aid kit is not going to save some one. The ones with the proper tools( iv fluid ,drugs,rapid transport, ect) are the ones that can give this person the best chance of survival. The best thing you can try and do is to remove the patient from any other danger,example if the boat was sinking! I guess what I am trying to say is take a calculated risk,if you dont have the proper equipment ,limit your exposure, you said you got all cut up,so obviously you were exposed to his blood! If what you are trying to do with limited supplies is not going to affect the outcome and you risk getting aids or who knows what else ,dont do it. Just try to stabilize the scene and call for help asap. Make a calculated risk! Remember you didnt cause the situation,be calm and please dont scream at the profesionals,let them do their job,thats what they are trained and payed to do!Thanks ,Charlie :boxed:
I call BS on that if they wernt even getting there gear out then they dropped the ball
it my be protocol to asses the seen but that should be dun by one leader
and the rest will be geting the gear ready
not all professionals are professional at there job

Blownboat
04-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I apologize,I am not trying to ruffle anybodys feathers here. Your right,we were not there,I am not trying to monday morning quarterback it,rrrr definatly deserves a pat on the back, along with the rest of the people that helped! I just think when someone has a complaint they should contact the proper people so that they can address if it is a training issue or what ever, instead of bad mouthing them on the internet! I hope that makes sense to you! :)

Seadog
04-23-2005, 06:48 PM
The first responder is there to assess the situation and see what is needed. When rrrr tells him a backboard is needed, the EMS was expert enough to assume that experienced help was doing that. The EMS then got the backboard. When emergency treatment is being given, you do not interfere unless the patient is passed off or it requires a higher skill level. Both did a professional job and when things are chaotic, you yell to make sure you are heard over the noise.

wantacat
04-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Good job!! Boating at night is scary. The only place I will stay late out is in the channel in Havasu and once we leave there we idle back to the marina so I feel pretty safe, but you never know what can happen.

Jrocket
04-23-2005, 07:01 PM
GREAT job RRRR!!!! The world needs more people that help out when accidents happen.

Kim Hanson
04-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Great job rrrr and I think all boaters need First-Aid Training and some smarts when it comes to driving in the dark, do boats have headlights---no! So why drive at night, stupid chit............( . )( . )........... :confused:

phebus
04-23-2005, 08:13 PM
As a firefighter paramedic, I won't take sides on whether the right thing was done or not. Mistakes are made, and on the other side, they may have been assessing scene safety before taking action. Wasn't there, can't say.
What I can say though is that you did the right thing by jumping in there and taking action when action was necessary. Good job, it takes guts to do what most others won't.

rrrr
04-23-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm back from the lake, we spent a lot of time today talking this one over. I stand by my decision to take charge of the situation. This ain't my first rodeo.
The EMS people spend 99.99 % of their time responding to automobile accidents. Well, cars don't sink. I had been in the boat almost twenty minutes when they showed up, and I had been keeping tabs on how fast the boat was taking on water.
I knew it was going down, and less than three minutes after the victim was in the ambulance the boat was under water. I don't subscribe to this "Oh, they're professionals" crap. It was a bunch of twenty something school boys and they weren't on top of the situation.
While we're talking about professionals, I have a question for the EMTs out there. This guy was in advanced shock. My twenty second pulse check indicated he was over 150. Whole body shivering, waxy skin, elevated respitory rate and slurring responses. By my estimate he had lost two units of blood. After he had been in the ambulance for a few minutes I noted abdominal and thoracic distention, a clear sign of internal bleeding consistent with the injuries expected in the type of accident.
The ambulance ride to the hospital was easily thirty minutes. By then I was too disgusted to intervene, but to my thinking they EMTs should have put pants on the guy. Am I right? The unknown internals were ample reason to do so IMO.

sanger rat
04-23-2005, 08:52 PM
rrrr- if somebody runs me over I pray that someone like you will be there.

Kim Hanson
04-23-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm back from the lake, we spent a lot of time today talking this one over. I stand by my decision to take charge of the situation. This ain't my first rodeo.
The EMS people spend 99.99 % of their time responding to automobile accidents. Well, cars don't sink. I had been in the boat almost twenty minutes when they showed up, and I had been keeping tabs on how fast the boat was taking on water.
I knew it was going down, and less than three minutes after the victim was in the ambulance the boat was under water. I don't subscribe to this "Oh, they're professionals" crap. It was a bunch of twenty something school boys and they weren't on top of the situation.
While we're talking about professionals, I have a question for the EMTs out there. This guy was in advanced shock. My twenty second pulse check indicated he was over 150. Whole body shivering, waxy skin, elevated respitory rate and slurring responses. By my estimate he had lost two units of blood. After he had been in the ambulance for a few minutes I noted abdominal and thoracic distintion, a clear sign of internal bleeding consistent with the injuries expected in the type of accident.
The ambulance ride to the hospital was easily thirty minutes. By then I was too disgusted to intervene, but to my thinking they EMTs should have put pants on the guy. Am I right? The unknown internals were ample reason to do so IMO.
Legs elavated and kept warm with a blanket and nice talk that we are helping you...be calm, you are safe! What do I know though...........( . )( . )..........

Jrocket
04-23-2005, 08:57 PM
rrrr- if somebody runs me over I pray that someone like you will be there.
I agree!

djunkie
04-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Forget what everyone says. Your a hero. Most people would sit back and watch and for someone like you step up and take charge.

Tom Brown
04-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Forget what everyone says. Your a hero. Most people would sit back and watch and for someone like you step up and take charge.
Beautifully said, djunkie. :cool:

rrrr
04-23-2005, 09:47 PM
In response to your yelling and taking charge comment .Even though you felt compelled to help,you should not bash on the firemen.I dont know you or your training but most trained experienced individuals dont get rattled as much as others that dont see that kind of stuff every day.
I've seen plenty of mayhem in my day, and have assisted in all sorts of life saving operations. Perhaps you missed my comment about gloves, I have training in blood borne pathogens and know what I'm doing.
Sorry, but when people don't do their job correctly, I'll comment.

JustMVG
04-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Wow Ron with all of the excitement around your neck of the woods looks like you don't miss the thrill of racing, my heartfelt respect and a big thanks for you and your level headed thinking and quick response, they were very lucky to have you and your friends around. MikeVG

Sane Asylum
04-24-2005, 05:20 AM
I'm a paramedic. My first aid kit on my boat probably slows me down about 1 mph. Well worth it if I can help someone.
Note to self:
Look for Phebus after severe lacerations......
BTW.....Way to go RRR.......Stories like this do my heart good.....

Wet Dream
04-24-2005, 05:31 AM
While we're talking about professionals, I have a question for the EMTs out there. This guy was in advanced shock. My twenty second pulse check indicated he was over 150. Whole body shivering, waxy skin, elevated respitory rate and slurring responses. By my estimate he had lost two units of blood. After he had been in the ambulance for a few minutes I noted abdominal and thoracic distention, a clear sign of internal bleeding consistent with the injuries expected in the type of accident.
Awesome response!!! It sounds like you did a great job out there and you did all you could, well over what most people could do. Out of curiousity, the fire personnel... was this a volunteer company or a city/ county fire station?

phebus
04-24-2005, 06:20 AM
Mast pants were removed from our protocol (Orange Co., Ca) years ago after studies showed they were not beneficial to patient outcome. Blood pressure crashed upon removal. Aggressive fluid replacement (two large bore IV's) is what we use now, as well as shock positioning.
The key is rapid transport to a trauma center.

Shark In The Pond
04-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Well I'm sorry to say but we had one Sat . here at lake Alan Henry also .Big fishing tournament and had two boats hit at a high rate of speed ,one was still missing late Sat. and two were airlifted out .

rrrr
04-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Well I'm sorry to say but we had one Sat . here at lake Alan Henry also .Big fishing tournament and had two boats hit at a high rate of speed ,one was still missing late Sat. and two were airlifted out .
Jeezus.....
Thanks for the answer about the pants, Phebus. It's been a long time since I had been at a similar accident, didn't know they had been retired.
Wet Dream, it was the Wylie FD, a small town.

phebus
04-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, was it a volunteer fire dept?

pleasantcat
04-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Jeezus.....
Thanks for the answer about the pants, Phebus. It's been a long time since I had been at a similar accident, didn't know they had been retired.
so maybe the crew that rolled on scene did know what they were doing :idea:
dont get mad not trying to take away from the hero parade, just like was said earlier. when a crew rolls on scene you wont see them loose their cool and become a part of the problem. they have the training and knowledge to give the patient the best chance for survival. scene size up,safety for crew and body substance isolation first steps for ANYONE trying to help. without it your the next patient and now additional resources are needed. i'm sure the patient is greatful as well as his family. thats my .02

rrrr
04-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, was it a volunteer fire dept?
Phebus, Wylie is a small town that is growing quickly, like many cities North of Dallas. The FD is funded by the city and has excellent equipment. The main station has an ISO Class 1 rating, the city has spent a bunch of money building the water system and purchasing good equipment.

bunny 166
04-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Awesome job rrrr! You were a great help to those in need :wink: :wink: http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/109bday2.jpg

rrrr
04-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Here's a few photos of the Baja. The drive actually worked after the crash, Brian towed the other boat to shore, then went across the lake to trailer it at the marina. After he got it on the trailer and parked, he was looking at the drive. He reached out to move it a little, and that's when it broke off and fell to the ground.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/109DSCN1631.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/109DSCN1632.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/109DSCN1634.JPG