PDA

View Full Version : Arizona sales tax

H20 Toie
04-24-2005, 04:01 PM
With my new boat that i am buying from a private party in Ok if i register and title it in Arizona do i have to pay sales tax? I have an address to use in Phoneix.

phebus
04-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Tell them the boat was purchased in AZ. from a private party, and register it in AZ., and no tax.

Beer-30
04-24-2005, 04:07 PM
With my new boat that i am buying from a private party in Ok if i register and title it in Arizona do i have to pay sales tax? I have an address to use in Phoneix.
I thought we already went over this.?

Boatcop
04-24-2005, 04:11 PM
NO!
Private Party sales don't warrant Arizona State Sales Tax.
There is a License Tax that's part of the registration fee. It's based on the length of the boat. You can register the boat in Arizona if you intend to use it here at least 50% of the time. You don't necessarily need an Arizona address.
Be careful about having "an address to use in Phoneix."(sic) The AZGFD is cracking down on out of state residents using Arizona vacation homes or friend's homes in AZ to get the "in state" rates. In order to qualify for the in state "resident" rate you have to actually be a "resident" of Arizona. That means work, vote, kids in school, driver's license, vehicles registered here, etc. In other words, this is where you live.
They've been kind of lax in the past about checking the residency status of those who register their boats using an Arizona address. Now that the budget is tight and getting tighter, they're beginning to realize how many people are registering their boats as "residents", when they actually aren't, and how much money they're losing.

phebus
04-24-2005, 05:06 PM
I have a house in Havasu, and store and use the boat in Havasu. When I asked about registering the boat in Havasu as a resident (since I'm moving there), I was told that to register as a resident, you must pay your state taxes in the state. They told me they check the state records to determine residency now.

H20 Toie
04-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Tell them the boat was purchased in AZ. from a private party, and register it in AZ., and no tax.
How can i say that if the title is from OK?

Boatcop
04-25-2005, 05:03 AM
You don't have to say it was bought in Arizona as long as the bill of sale is from a private party and not from a boat dealer.

CNeidhart
04-25-2005, 05:28 AM
Don't forget the boat must have been previously registered in another state, to be considered a used boat. A NEW Boat will be taxed @ AZ state & County sales tax, from a private party or Dealer.