PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to this place?

MagicMtnDan
04-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Forums always change but this place is so different than when I joined. Not that it matters but I personally don't think it's an improvement. Where are the old-timers? (Guess they don't post anymore) Do they lurk?

Jbb
04-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Forums always change but this place is so different than when I joined. Not that it matters but I personally don't think it's an improvement. Where are the old-timers? (Guess they don't post anymore) Do they lurk?
Old Timers...?
Tom Brown has killed and eaten most of them :eek:

Huckleberry
04-25-2005, 06:44 AM
I agree. I mostly lurk these days. :(

AZKC
04-25-2005, 06:53 AM
I'm only allowed to post twice a day cause I'm a Democrat :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-25-2005, 06:59 AM
LMAO
Dan, did that old thread make you wonder "Where are they now?"
Sorry to say, what you have witnessed is just evolution. It's not always for the best, but it happens, regardless.Sometimes it's not better or worse, just different.

beer hunter
04-25-2005, 07:02 AM
And despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to get that reduced to once per day ;) :D

dicudmore
04-25-2005, 07:03 AM
we're just keeping it warm till the old timers come back to play :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
04-25-2005, 07:07 AM
I think Superdave013 and Spectras Only are a couple of the OG members...

dirty old man
04-25-2005, 07:16 AM
the answer man for lake mead is still here

MsDrmr
04-25-2005, 07:19 AM
Yeah, some of them post here and there but for the most part, ya don't hear from them much.... :squiggle:

Mandelon
04-25-2005, 07:30 AM
Drowned out by the cacaphony of wanton whorism.... :D

Jbb
04-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Drowned out by the cacaphony of wanton whorism.... :D
You know how we do it... :D

superdave013
04-25-2005, 07:40 AM
I think Superdave013 and Spectras Only are a couple of the OG members...
I was the 46th person to sign up.
If I remember right your number is pretty low too.

Tom Brown
04-25-2005, 07:46 AM
I haven't said anything until now because I try to be positive and appreciative of this free service. Like everyone else, however, I can clearly see how this site has been transformed from the best site on the Internet to this miserable excuse of randomly arranged bites that are spewed into the HTTP pipe.
This is why I do little more than lurk these days. It's my way of protesting this oppression.

Jbb
04-25-2005, 07:48 AM
I haven't said anything until now because I try to be positive and appreciative of this free service. Like everyone else, however, I can clearly see how this site has been transformed from the best site on the Internet to this miserable excuse of randomly arranged bites that are spewed into the HTTP pipe.
This is why I do little more than lurk these days. It's my way of protesting this oppression.
Hittin the crack pipe kinda early these days...eh..Tom?

beer hunter
04-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Leave it to Tom to put it all in perspective! ;) :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-25-2005, 07:52 AM
so MMD are you saying you are an old timer. you don't post much either. or did I miss that. LOL!! :wink:

tamalewagon
04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Just curious Dan...how is this place different? People are still friendly, they still help with technical questions, still lend a hand to those that need help, still love to get together and still share the common interest of boating. Not trying to be a smart alec Dan, but I don't see the change and I've been lurking on the website for more years than my register shows. :confused:

Huckleberry
04-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Under my original board name of Laveyman I joined in August 2000. I thought my original member number was somewhere around the 100'ish. Change to my new new in Jue last year with the new boat. Now I look like a newbie, but still the crotchity old fart!

Havasu Hangin'
04-25-2005, 07:58 AM
So you, Laveyman (Huckleberry) and Specras Only are the last of the Mohicans? It's agree that kind of depressing to go back and see old threads and all the cool people who don't post anymore.
As for me, my signing up was lost in the flurry of the "Riverdave era". I also find myself posting less and less these days. If I ever decide to throw my computer out the window, I'll probably just give Tom Brown my moderator key...
...so he can oppress himself.
:D

Jordy
04-25-2005, 08:02 AM
...and shit. :D

moneypit
04-25-2005, 08:03 AM
I think it was Frenchies AVatar that started the whole mess :burningm:

Mandelon
04-25-2005, 08:09 AM
That's why there is RRL, HD's, and that other site we can't talk about. :cool:

Huckleberry
04-25-2005, 08:14 AM
If I weren't bored at work I wouldn't post much either. It does help fill the empty time though!
The biggest change I've seen is this board has become very "clickish". It used to all about helping out a fellow ***boater and sharing ideas, cool boats, and hot babes. Now, it has come down to what you ate for lunch, slamming each other, shit-talking, who's wife/girlfriend/significant other was sluttiest last weekend, and an occasional thread about tech and actual boating/river-related stuff. Some folks also seem to use this board as more of a chat room than a boating message board.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not bitching about the forum, just making observations from one who's been here since Dang Nang and telling it like I see it. (As I'm know for)
On the positive side, I've met some very cool peeps through this site, including my soon-to-be wife! This site also helped me through a very ugly divorce and some tough times.
Huckle(Opinionated)berry

RiverDave
04-25-2005, 08:40 AM
So you, Laveyman (Huckleberry) and Specras Only are the last of the Mohicans? It's agree that kind of depressing to go back and see old threads and all the cool people who don't post anymore.
As for me, my signing up was lost in the flurry of the "Riverdave era". I also find myself posting less and less these days. If I ever decide to throw my computer out the window, I'll probably just give Tom Brown my moderator key...
I had an era?
RD

RiverDave
04-25-2005, 08:42 AM
If I weren't bored at work I wouldn't post much either. It does help fill the empty time though!
The biggest change I've seen is this board has become very "clickish". It used to all about helping out a fellow ***boater and sharing ideas, cool boats, and hot babes. Now, it has come down to what you ate for lunch, slamming each other, shit-talking, who's wife/girlfriend/significant other was sluttiest last weekend, and an occasional thread about tech and actual boating/river-related stuff. Some folks also seem to use this board as more of a chat room than a boating message board.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not bitching about the forum, just making observations from one who's been here since Dang Nang and telling it like I see it. (As I'm know for)
On the positive side, I've met some very cool peeps through this site, including my soon-to-be wife! This site also helped me through a very ugly divorce and some tough times.
Huckle(Opinionated)berry
Good Post HuckleBerry..
RD

Tom Brown
04-25-2005, 08:42 AM
I guess it's clear that I like pretty much everything about this place. I like these forums. vBulletin seems to be the best software going. The people here are great, although I do miss some people who don't post anymore.
I like to joke around from time to time but my questions have been answered with the efficiency and finality of God granting RiverDave's request for absolution in an electrical storm. From the trick to a GM alternator swap to holding access panels in place under hard deceleration, this place has provided a great deal of information, as well as entertaining my brains out.

Jbb
04-25-2005, 08:43 AM
I had an era?
RD
'
Board rules dictate...."Once someone retires ...and then un retires from the boards more than 3 times....it will be considered an era"

Huckleberry
04-25-2005, 08:50 AM
I had an era?
RD
What do you mean HAD??? You mean it's over?!?!?!!! :cool:

RiverDave
04-25-2005, 09:28 AM
What do you mean HAD??? You mean it's over?!?!?!!! :cool:
Before it ever really began... LOL :D
Besides there's all these new guys with post counts that are growing faster then the kids that visit the never land ranch.
RD

MagicMtnDan
04-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Now, it has come down to what you ate for lunch, slamming each other, shit-talking, who's wife/girlfriend/significant other was sluttiest last weekend, and an occasional thread about tech and actual boating/river-related stuff.
Great points but you forgot to mention the threads that say "good morning" or "good night" or what bran and cheese Tom Brown ate :D

topless
04-25-2005, 09:34 AM
I noticed they are different too. Maybe I should become the old Topless again. I did make myself laugh at times. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-25-2005, 09:36 AM
I noticed they are different too. Maybe I should become the old Topless again. I did make myself laugh at times. :D
just make sure I am not the horses patute. :D :D

Tom Brown
04-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Maybe I should become the old Topless again.
"I don't have to take shit from assholes like you."
Is it any wonder I fell in love with you?

topless
04-25-2005, 09:39 AM
just make sure I am not the horses patute. :D :DNever!!!! I can post pictures of squirrels though. :wink:

jbtrailerjim
04-25-2005, 09:45 AM
I have not been around as long as some of the people around here, but yes I can see the change. When I first joined I mostly posted in the Hot Boat section. People really used to talk about boats in there. There used to be some great threads in there. Now all that section is now, is just a place where people can try and sell there boat. No one talks boat stuff in there anymore. If someone tried to have a thread in there with a legitimate question or opinion it would quickly get booted to the bottom. Now its just a game in there on how many times you can bump your spam back to the top. :rolleyes:

PlyaPlya22
04-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Times change just like people. Unfortunately nothing last forever.

ROZ
04-25-2005, 09:52 AM
I had an era?
RD
Great, now he's gonna get all big headed.....and shit ;) :D

mbrown2
04-25-2005, 10:15 AM
It has changed and Huckleberry post was pretty dead on....spend more of my time in C&T....Seems with River season, I am gone most Fridays and the weekend, so the Sandbar is too tiresome to keep up with...Not the case with C&T or other Forums like Riverratlife.....pretty much come the point where you really filter most of the stuff and only post where you find the stuff interesting or funny..

Mandelon
04-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Man----->Just shaking his head<------delon ;)

jdogginla
04-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Don't blame me...............It was like this when I got here, LOL :boxingguy

MagicMtnDan
04-25-2005, 10:33 AM
I have frequented many Internet boards and forums and I don't think I've ever seen another forum where "adults" are so enchanted and preoccupied with their post counts. It's something that, in my experience, is rather unique to this place and it makes me wonder if people on this forum ever visit any others. :(
Dear post wh0res: it's just a number not a sign of intelligence. :hammerhea
By the way, I do realize and accept that things change over time. I happen to like change and deal well with it. But why be satisfied when quality goes downhill?

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I have frequented many Internet boards and forums and I don't think I've ever seen another forum where "adults" are so enchanted and preoccupied with their post counts. It's something that, in my experience, is rather unique to this place and it makes me wonder if people on this forum ever visit any others. :(
By the way, I do realize and accept that things change over time. I happen to like change and deal well with it. What I don't want to be satisfied with is when quality goes downhill.
well well well. Hmmmmm.. What post count, :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-25-2005, 11:16 AM
By the way, I do realize and accept that things change over time. I happen to like change and deal well with it. But why be satisfied when quality goes downhill?
Pirate4x4 is like that, or at least it used to be. I stopped visiting there when I got tired of the newbie bashing and the post count bragging, especially from the web wheelers. So it's not a ***boat pheonomena. Yet its still lame. Maybe there would be less "blah, blah blah Look at me!!!!!!!! blah blah blah," if there were no post counts. It's not like you get a prize or something.

haulina29
04-25-2005, 11:17 AM
I dont understand the new vocabulary like Cali and Havi ? sounds like a bunch of homos we used to talk about the lake the river and boats .

cdog
04-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm over at protouring.com and those guys jump people she-it if anyone talks about polotics or off topic things. In some ways ***boat has alot of fluffers with no real tech. value or realitive opinions on boating. But sometimes it's fun to debate and talk about what's on your mind. Seems as though the sandbar is where most come to talk trash. I don't ever go to the bench racer sect. The vdrive, blower and gear heads are good places to get info. Post whoreing and cheering leading suck but what are you gonna do? If we make this place to tech. then it'll be boring. This is a great place to find out about bum deals and crappy boats and also whats good. Making people and companys accountable for bad business is a good thing. There should be more emphisis on that. Well thats my 2 cents. :D

1stepcloser
04-25-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm giving 5 stars to this thread.
And positive rep to MMD for starting it.
BTW, anyone know what happened to Chesta Cheeta?

Havasu_Dreamin
04-25-2005, 11:55 AM
That's a name that goes WAY back.

Sleek-Jet
04-25-2005, 11:58 AM
If I remember correctly, one of the first threads I read on here had a post in it that went something like this:
"..that hasn't happened since Topless was a virgin..." :devil:
It's always been like this folks. It's entertainment, and it's free...
Anyone remember the Jet Boat forum before the introduction of "Bench Racers"??? whooo weeee... that was interesting. :D
And if Tom is oppressing himself... I don't want to know about it. :D

RiverDave
04-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm giving 5 stars to this thread.
And positive rep to MMD for starting it.
He moved up to Northern California.. He bought a big boat (can't remember what now, becuase he told me when I was drinking) .. I ran into him at the LA Boatshow. :)
RD

1stepcloser
04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Up north? Glad he finally got a boat though. Last I saw him was a cold august night at Pyramid, drinking till three AM, getting his truck stuck sometime prior to that, and Coor Light for breakfast the following morning at the sandbar......:)

ROZ
04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
He moved up to Northern California.. He bought a big boat (can't remember what now, becuase he told me when I was drinking) .. I ran into him at the LA Boatshow. :)
RD
29ft Profile...

1stepcloser
04-25-2005, 12:20 PM
29ft Profile...
Sweet.

Big Proppa
04-25-2005, 12:23 PM
It would have to be 4 or 5 years ago now but I met Rverdave at the rock pile across from the bluewater - it turns out that later that night would be I think the first OP6C - He turned me on to the hot boat web site. Later that weekend we gave a stranded Chestah Cheetah a ride back to Daves house. It's funny me and hustler were just talking about this, I was telling him how weird it is now seeing pictures of events and not knowing anybody.
O'well sh%t changes.

Slick
04-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Don't get me wrong...I'm not bitching about the forum, just making observations from one who's been here since Dang Nang and telling it like I see it. (As I'm k"now for)
Huckle(Opinionated)berry
I agree 100%. This place has changed for the worst over the years. There has been a definite downfall in many of the people this place has attracted. I think there's just too many people concerned with taking everything to the extreme. The quality of people has definitily declined. I can honestly say that I haven't met many after the first couple of OP6's that I'd consider hangin' out with.
Pretty much the only reason I still visit this site is it's just habit over the years. I don't post much anymore either because there just doesn't seem to be much to respond to.

WaTchTheGelCoat
04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I miss Phat Kat

welk2party
04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I agree 100%. This place has changed for the worst over the years. There has been a definite downfall in many of the people this place has attracted. I think there's just too many people concerned with taking everything to the extreme. The quality of people has definitily declined. I can honestly say that I haven't met many after the first couple of OP6's that I'd consider hangin' out with.
Pretty much the only reason I still visit this site is it's just habit over the years. I don't post much anymore either because there just doesn't seem to be much to respond to.
OUCH! :jawdrop: I think you get what you put in.

Sleek-Jet
04-25-2005, 12:38 PM
I miss Phat Kat
What about Catmando??? :rollside: :rollside: :notam:

Big Proppa
04-25-2005, 12:42 PM
What ever happened to party feaver - he was at the first run what ya brung and we got shiiiittttyyyy on tequila from the minute we pulled into the park, and chestah got molested by a local, and riverdave banged the sh%it out of his new system until the batteries ran out.
All I can say is I miss the friggin old days

Slick
04-25-2005, 12:42 PM
OUCH! :jawdrop: I think you get what you put in.
I'll take that. My river trips have definitely declined over the last year and will be even more so since I sold the boat. However, up until that point, there are some people that I definitely wish I didn't have the pleasure of meeting. At the same time, there are also many that I haven't met. My post, while it may have been very broad, was not meant to reflect everyone on the boards. Thank you for pointing that out.

moneypit
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
I have a problem with anyone saying the quality of people are different. I think the quality is just fine. Sure the conversation may have changed but I still beleive that most of the people on theses boards are good hearted people.
It appears that alot of these people have become real close. So close that the ***boat boards are used more like a telephone. Also now, instead of putting of pictures of some chick at the sandbar, you will see a "loved one" doing something at the sandbar. Im not complaining, just not my deal
When things become popular, change usually goes along with it. It attracts more people and change will take place again. Look at the river. I have pictures of havasu city with nothing there. Look at it now. Was it better then ? or now? Would the lake be a better place with 24' boats maximum? Or is it OK to have 35-40 boats?
I dont think that any of the people that were around before were any better than they are today and the same goes for this place. We all love boating, thats all that matters.

NashvilleBound
04-25-2005, 01:07 PM
What constitutes an "old timer"?
RD...need a hookup for LED's for the new trailer.....

Big Proppa
04-25-2005, 01:11 PM
You're an old timer Nash :D

NashvilleBound
04-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Ya I feared that, actually in more ways than one. Their right too....the forums have change quite a bit. It all started with Rd...what in the world have we gotten ourselves into??

rivercrazy
04-25-2005, 01:44 PM
I am anthoer old timer that also thinks this board ain't what it used to be.
No it seems like a good percentage of the threads have no purpose other than post counts, attention whoring, showcasing bling-bling (both machinery and plastic surgeries), etc.
Still a good place. But to contrast - I used to open about 70% of the threads versus probably 5% now. I just ignore the ones that don't interest me. Freedom of choice is good for mental health! :) :)

haulina29
04-25-2005, 02:10 PM
I would agree with River crazy . Also catmandoo isnt a oldtimer he came on a few years ago when he was kicked of OSO . On the original boards if you put up a picture of your fat ass old lady in a g string you would have got blasted now its the new softer version.

Party Cat
04-25-2005, 02:25 PM
What ever happened to party feaver - he was at the first run what ya brung and we got shiiiittttyyyy on tequila from the minute we pulled into the park, and chestah got molested by a local, and riverdave banged the sh%it out of his new system until the batteries ran out.
All I can say is I miss the friggin old days
Jacob is doing fine...he was supposed to come out to RWYBIV...but he's been pretty busy with his business and his kids sports...
I remember getting wasted on Jello Shots 2 at RWYB II...the weekend in the Rain...

Tom Brown
04-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Thats it ....your all correct...not like it used to be...Cali only interests...
I am herby retiring from posting! :D
I asked HH to help me restore this post for the purposes of quotation. Nothing in my response references it but you wanting it gone is good enough reason for me to want it restored.
Back to the topic... here's the deal...
Things change. There's nothing wrong with the site. It's gotten really, really big so it's crazier but much of the core value remains the same.
RD doesn't post like he used to. He's trying to get a business going, he's shacked up with a chick, and he's realizing what a dweeb he was five years ago when he tried to tweek everyone as part of his alpha leadership program. Now he spends less time posting and getting in pool cue fights and more time doing actual work. What's more, I have no doubt he will be successful and his focus is part of that. Welcome to adulthood, RD.
HH doesn't post like he used to. He's had a couple of children. I'm guessing that's more of a priority for him than this place. These days he just shows every few days to delete any posts I may have made.
Other people have come and gone and it's often the same story.
I would imagine when RD knocks up the Diva, he'll spend even less time on here. Oh sure, he'll talk about wanting to get back to this place and all of the friendships he has here but it won't happen.
Froggystyle doesn't hang out here and have the massive flame wars with RD like he used to, either. 78Elim? ... also gone. These guys are busy. You could change the site any which way and they aren't likely to come back more than they currently are.
Remember when you were in High School and then University? It was all about hanging out with your buds. Then, you meet someone great and you realize you haven't been spending as much time with your friends anymore. You make a mental note to spend more time with them but it doesn't happen.
Any group is going to have a small but solid core of people who continue through thick and then, as well as a revolving door of new people coming in and old people fading away.
I predict this site will enter a renaissance in 15 years as people's children enter High School and start hanging out with their buds instead of spending time at home. We'll need an empty nest forum then.
As far as content, I was around before this place became a pay site. Yeah, it was less crazy then. There were a ton less people. It was pretty social, though. I came over from Scream & Fly which used to be pretty social and this place blew me away. People were always talking about getting together and doing stuff. It was neat.
The thing I found unique about this site, back in the day, is that it had much of the technical information and hard core experts that you could ever want, but this place isn't about that. It's always been about people. It's a place where personalities aren't a bad thing. I admire how much respect people have given to each other here, at least... in general.
I'd also like to point out that, back in the day, people complained about the site. ... just like now. We would run guys off with the tribal drums and it was more cliquey then than it is now, IMO. Every change has met opposition. In five years, we'll pine for what it's like now.
Things have definitely changed but I don't think it's been for the worse. There are some excellent people here, an infinite pile of knowledge, and new friendships happening all the time. If anything, I'd say it's substantially better than it used to be.
... so you all can get focked.

Jbb
04-25-2005, 02:59 PM
I asked HH to help me restore this post for the purposes of quotation. Nothing in my response references it but you wanting it gone is good enough reason for me to want it restored.
Back to the topic... here's the deal...
Things change. There's nothing wrong with the site. It's gotten really, really big so it's crazier but much of the core value remains the same.
RD doesn't post like he used to. He's trying to get a business going, he's shacked up with a chick, and he's realizing what a dweeb he was five years ago when he tried to tweek everyone as part of his alpha leadership program. Now he spends less time posting and getting in pool cue fights and more time doing actual work. What's more, I have no doubt he will be successful and his focus is part of that. Welcome to adulthood, RD.
HH doesn't post like he used to. He's had a couple of children. I'm guessing that's more of a priority for him than this place. These days he just shows every few days to delete any posts I may have made.
Other people have come and gone and it's often the same story.
I would imagine when RD knocks up the Diva, he'll spend even less time on here. Oh sure, he'll talk about wanting to get back to this place and all of the friendships he has here but it won't happen.
Froggystyle doesn't hang out here and have the massive flame wars with RD like he used to, either. 78Elim? ... also gone. These guys are busy. You could change the site any which way and they aren't likely to come back more than they currently are.
Remember when you were in High School and then University? It was all about hanging out with your buds. Then, you meet someone great and you realize you haven't been spending as much time with your friends anymore. You make a mental note to spend more time with them but it doesn't happen.
Any group is going to have a small but solid core of people who continue through thick and then, as well as a revolving door of new people coming in and old people fading away.
I predict this site will enter a renaissance in 15 years as people's children enter High School and start hanging out with their buds instead of spending time at home. We'll need an empty nest forum then.
As far as content, I was around before this place became a pay site. Yeah, it was less crazy then. There were a ton less people. It was pretty social, though. I came over from Scream & Fly which used to be pretty social and this place blew me away. People were always talking about getting together and doing stuff. It was neat.
The thing I found unique about this site, back in the day, is that it had much of the technical information and hard core experts that you could ever want, but this place isn't about that. It's always been about people. It's a place where personalities aren't a bad thing. I admire how much respect people have given to each other here, at least... in general.
Things have definitely changed but I don't think it's been for the worse. There are some excellent people here, an infinite pile of knowledge, and new friendships happening all the time. If anything, I'd say it's substantially better than it used to be.
... so you all can get focked.
color me Brown..gone...er...Color me gone Brown..

LASERRAY
04-25-2005, 02:59 PM
HMMMM.......... I Dunno. Where'd everyone go?

Tom Brown
04-25-2005, 03:01 PM
HMMMM.......... I Dunno. Where'd everyone go?
Probably most of the people who left were aliases who were swept away under the new blanket of rules. :D :D

phebus
04-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Very good insightfull post Tom. I loved the final sentence, kinda summed it all up. :D

GHTRIM
04-25-2005, 03:32 PM
It appears Tom Brown hit the nail on the head... I'm new to HB and I have already met MANY awesome people... I don't know how much "Tech Data", "Boat Info" and other bits of info. use to fly around these boards. Actually I don't care. As I was entering the "SANDBAR" I took special notice of what is discussed here and it is quite clear.... For those of you who haven't noticed it says "OPEN TOPIC SOCIAL LOUNGE". I truely believe the "SANDBAR" holds true to its name..... I plan on enjoying the company here as long as I determine I want too. Thanks for all of the Laughs everyone has dished out and MsGHTRIM and I look forward to MANY more great times weather it is with you "old timers" or a "Newby"....... N Shit.....

Debbolas
04-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I've only been here a year and I've seen this site change....it use to be harsher, (not that many chicks posting).....I think this site is a kinder gentler version of what I found here one year ago, when I felt like my boobs weren' big enough for me to start posting................ :D
Scream and I have made many friends here.....we are just so busy now, that we don't get on as much as we use too....... :D
I wonder what the future will bring :clover:

MagicMtnDan
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Where's:
Doghouse?
C-2?
HighRoller?
Rivertoys?
gigamurph?
Oldsquirt?
058?
Summerlove?
rivercrazy?

chub
04-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Dan, Would you please buy a fricken boat!

hoolign
04-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Member number 146 here! :D

JackieV
04-25-2005, 11:16 PM
I am pretty new to HB, but I have to say that since becoming a member along with my hubby. I have had nothing but wonderful things to say about the site, the people the boats and all the other fun and crazy things you can find here.
I have met and seen some caring ***boaters here. Please, take for example the unfortunate accident that happened on Rice Rd. and the sweet innocent child Madison that was hurt. So many of you responded in great ways to help or just plane show your concern. To me that is awsome!
Now for those that feel the site has gone down in class or whatever, can kinda make someone take offense. I personally don't, but want to speak out for those newbies that are good people and just like many of you have good hearts and mean well.
We all love boating and having a good time obviously, that's why you and I became members.
I don't know how HB was before but I am glad to be a member now, I only wish I had joined sooner.
And a big pat on the back for the person that posted the thread! :D

HOSS
04-26-2005, 05:45 AM
I can remember the forums meeting once a week. Wanna say Tuesday night but I really can`t remember that far back. Since then I`ve changed careers, openned a new business, got married, had a kid, moved into new house and I just phuckin` realized that in all that time my boat still ain`t done!

RiverDave
04-26-2005, 09:46 AM
I can remember the forums meeting once a week. Wanna say Tuesday night but I really can`t remember that far back. Since then I`ve changed careers, openned a new business, got married, had a kid, moved into new house and I just phuckin` realized that in all that time my boat still ain`t done!
That's alright... Bubbles ain't done either.
Tom Brown, Not quite sure to make of that post... Kinda spooked me. :D
RD

04-26-2005, 10:17 AM
MMD....I'm still here, just an ol' fart lurkin'. Since I don't know much about the SoCal/River scene I don't have much to contribute to the Sandbar. I know Oldsquirt is still around and doing fine, I saw him at Weaver's Swap meet last month. He doesn't post much anymore either.

04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
I remember Hoss when he was "jroos" and was bagging on Aunt Jeannie :jawdrop:

HCS
04-26-2005, 10:24 AM
If I remember right your number is pretty low too.
Your user# says 45th. ;)

C-2
04-26-2005, 11:05 AM
All the hookups going on - cars, audio, boat parts, you name it, people are always willing to help. That’s way cool. :cool:
One thing which pisses me off and I think has been detrimental to the entire board is flaming manufacturers/industry folks. It irks me when people come on here, post THEIR version of an incident, and then you have all the knuckleheads jumping on the bandwagon without having all the details; demanding the manufacturer get on here to offer “their side of the story”. Since when did anybody have an “obligation” to come on an Internet message board and respond? Geez, most industry people can’t figure out email, but it doesn’t mean they don’t build a great product. “Power of the board” – puhleeze, it’s more like organized coercion. All it does is make other industry insiders refrain from offering their valuable input. You better believe they lurk and I’m sure have often considered posting helpful information – but won’t because it only takes a couple of a-holes and their friends to drag your name thru the mud. That sucks. :mad:
I think chat should be brought back. Seeing a thread getting 5 pages of responses within an hour – take it to a chatroom!
Other than that, people come and go, nothing much has changed. :)

roostwear
04-26-2005, 11:15 AM
That's alright... Bubbles ain't done either.RD
Shocker!!!!!!

topless
04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
I remember Hoss when he was "jroos" and was bagging on Aunt Jeannie :jawdrop:
I remember having a crush on you when I was mean! :D

RiverDave
04-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Shocker!!!!!!
LOL.... Yeah I know, I suck.. :D
RD

HCS
04-26-2005, 11:52 AM
All the hookups going on - cars, audio, boat parts, you name it, people are always willing to help. That’s way cool. :cool:
One thing which pisses me off and I think has been detrimental to the entire board is flaming manufacturers/industry folks. It irks me when people come on here, post THEIR version of an incident, and then you have all the knuckleheads jumping on the bandwagon without having all the details; demanding the manufacturer get on here to offer “their side of the story”. Since when did anybody have an “obligation” to come on an Internet message board and respond? Geez, most industry people can’t figure out email, but it doesn’t mean they don’t build a great product. “Power of the board” – puhleeze, it’s more like organized coercion. All it does is make other industry insiders refrain from offering their valuable input. You better believe they lurk and I’m sure have often considered posting helpful information – but won’t because it only takes a couple of a-holes and their friends to drag your name thru the mud. That sucks. :mad:
I think chat should be brought back. Seeing a thread getting 5 pages of responses within an hour – take it to a chatroom!
Other than that, people come and go, nothing much has changed. :)
People do seem to throw companies names in the mud anytime something isn't handled correctly. But hey, maybe some companies deserve it. The boating industry always has been kind of a buyer beware industry. It really shouldn't be that way. If there's a flake out there they should be exposed. Maybe it would stop some of the shanghai take your money and run shysters out there. If someone just had one bad deal I'm sure they could clear things up. There's been some bad bad deals exposed on here. If I was going to have some work done by some of those people I would appreciate the in put so I didn't get burned.

04-27-2005, 10:41 AM
I remember having a crush on you when I was mean! :D
I still have a crush on you....even since you turned nice. :jawdrop: I thought the world was coming to an end when you became good friends with Her 454....The sky got dark, thunder struck and the earth trembled, I just knew the end was near. Even dropped to my knees and begged the almighty for salvation. :D :D

topless
04-27-2005, 10:43 AM
I still have a crush on you....even since you turned nice. :jawdrop: I thought the world was coming to an end when you became good friends with Her 454....The sky got dark, thunder struck and the earth trembled, I just knew the end was near. Even dropped to my knees and begged the almighty for salvation. :D :D
You're lucky God didn't strike you dead! I miss your emails by the way. :wink:

Froggystyle
04-27-2005, 11:41 AM
I think one of the big contributing causes to the lack of what some people would term as boating related content is that there are a whole pile of questions that have been asked and answered in depth already. Anyone posting these days knows how to do a search, and likely knows that the first thing anyone is going to do after someone asks a familiar question is to direct them to the original thread.
All you are going to need to see is new questions. If they don't concern you, you won't click on them and neither will anyone else. Anyone with a question about what to do with an A vs. B impeller has pages of fodder to get through before running out of information. Same with prop sizes, porpoising, trailer lights or sound systems.
In addition, most folks come on with a set of questions they are looking to get answered. If they are working on a project, this is a wonderful resource. A recent thread up here had apparently nothing to do with boating that most of you likely overlooked for good reason. It was called "Solidworks guys... one more time!!!" http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77003&highlight=solidworks
This was a question to CNC types about a pretty obscure process and feature in an engineering program. Like I said, apparently nothing to do with boating... except...
The guy asking the question is building a boat company and is engineering his own billet stuff (me). The guy who needs the correct information gleaned by the question is a long time boater, board contributor and member (wsuwrhr) and has cranked out some killer stuff for me. Within 20 minutes of the question, I had phone calls, PM's and responses from Yates9, Magic34, Essex502, STVKeith and Malibuken. You don't get that response from Solidworks themselves!
I think this place is growing up just great. Lots of new folks, lots of new information.... up to and including boob jobs and intake scoops. I hate the PC mentality around here, but understand it, and it is probably better for the community to be like this.
I personally attribute the lack of interesting stuff to me being sequestered in my office until the Revolution is done. ;) Once I get back on the water, it will be on like Donkey Kong!
Ask a tech question... see how fast it gets answered.
It is great to know you guys. I love it here, even if I am not around as much anymore.
Squirts up!

RP1
04-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Huckle(Opinionated)berry
good post... agreed!
I originally started posting back in 2001 (old name) and have seen many changes over those years. Much like Froggy stated, the place was a plethora of working knowledge answers to technical questions that might be posed. And while most technical questions can now be answered by doing a simple search, those that can't are usually answered expeditiously.
I still enjoy some of the post, but find that some of the more narcissistic members have a tendency to dominate the boards with topics only their "click" would care about.
All in all, I think the place still has it's fun days and "change is the only thing in life that is constant", so this we must accept. ;)