PDA

View Full Version : 496 Mag Coolant Dribble

desertbird
04-25-2005, 10:00 PM
This is driving me nuts! I have a DRIBBLE coming from the donut where the heat exchanger goes into the manifold. It doesn't leak a drop when running at temp, dribbles when I park. Now there is a small orange puddle in my bilge.
I've changed the donut once already.
Anybody else have this happen!??!?!?!?!
ARRGGHH. It's not enough to stop a weekend, but I just don't like the dribbles!! :hammerhea

Beer-30
04-25-2005, 10:17 PM
I will check mine, but I just changed oil this weekend and didn't notice any leaks. I would also have to look at the connection itself and see what you are talking about.
Sometimes, in "donut" applications, overtightening can cause the gasket to squeeze out. Any chance of this?

desertbird
04-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Naw, I can't figure it out. There's nothing to tighten! The heat exchanger just slips in.....
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Beer-30
04-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Is there a seam along the heat exchanger or a burr? anything that would cut or otherwise have its way with the donut?

desertbird
04-26-2005, 07:43 AM
I dunno. I changed the donut once, and when I took the old out, it was torn, a factory FUBAR from Merc. The motor only has 2.5 hours on it, but no more warranty since it was put in over a year ago when I re-powered. I never noticed the dribble until this year when I pulled the boat out of the mothballs. Ain't that a bitch! :mad:

Beer-30
04-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Well, if it was a factory fubar, take a look at the part itself and make sure they didn't force it in and crack it. Maybe there's a fracture and with all that black coating, it's barely visible.
That would somewhat make sense; it leaks when cold, but when warmed up or under pressure, it closes?

riverroyal
04-26-2005, 09:12 AM
sounds like the same thing,it goes to service this sunday,over the 4 months it was in storage i lost about a inch of coolant from the res..It only leaks while its not being used.I got some coolant while ive been waiting to get it fixed,mines a warrany issue,but still a in the ass.Mine looks like it comes from the little hole behind the pulley on the water pump,some kinda atmospheric plugs?I think thats what someone told me.I will give you a heads up next week after they figure it out

Beer-30
04-26-2005, 09:19 AM
.Mine looks like it comes from the little hole behind the pulley on the water pump,some kinda atmospheric plugs?I think thats what someone told me.I will give you a heads up next week after they figure it out
That little hole on the bottom of the water pump (circulating pump) right behind the pulley is where coolant comes out when the seal and/or bushing is going out. It allows you to see the leak starting and change the water pump before catastrophic failure. If yours is leaking there, you will be putting a water pump on. Just a heads-up. :mix:

riverroyal
04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
lucky for me its a warranty issue at magic,although at 15 hrs on the motor thats stupid.Why are the going bad?Cheap parts or just bad design?

Beer-30
04-26-2005, 09:38 AM
lucky for me its a warranty issue at magic,although at 15 hrs on the motor thats stupid.Why are the going bad?Cheap parts or just bad design?
Well, it's basically the same water pump that is on my 98 7.4 in my dually, and it did the same thing at about 20,000 miles. They put a new one on and it's at 62,000 now with no trouble.
Every now and then, a part will go a little early. Nothing's perfect.

riverroyal
04-26-2005, 09:44 AM
nothings perfect,thanks for the heads up

desertbird
04-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Well, I saw nothing behind the Water pump. For sure the first leak was at the donut seal. I fixed the stupid donut, and i have more dribble. I haven't investigated where it's coming from this time, the boat is getting interior work done right now.
Shoulda just stuck with the OUTBOARD!!!!!!!! :supp: