PDA

View Full Version : Editorial Today: Fee's For The Channel

Not So Fast
04-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Today's News Herald; Article about charging a user fee to be in the channel. while the city council is not in favor of this, you have to be aware of the old saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" and there has been an awful lot of talk on the subject of whats going on in "The Channel". Whether you agree or disagree about behavoir there it is going to change because of the attention it's getting. There are a lot of people that do not like the situation and if things dont change for the better then you will see some sort of action before the end of this summer, just my opinion. NSF

NOTALENT
04-27-2005, 07:37 AM
wow..I would hate to see that happen..although we all know that eventually something like this would happen. I also heard that they were making even mentioning, creating a Home Owner Association. And that they would have all the rights as to where the tourists or vacationers would be limited to spots or use of the lake?? Probably B.S! just heard it from some locals. Dont see how they could do that.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Sort of like the fees to use the campsites onthe BLM land along the shore? I doubt it would change the problems they are trying to stop. Also, kinda screws all of the locals, who are problably not part of the problems they want to alleviate/eliminate. And who would enforce it? I know BLM has the guy on the Honda PWC that comes into Steamboat and walks the shoreline collecting fees.
As far as a homeowners association type of deal, do I get to belong since I own a home there and pay property taxes?

Wicky
04-27-2005, 07:46 AM
Today's News Herald; Article about charging a user fee to be in the channel. while the city council is not in favor of this, you have to be aware of the old saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" and there has been an awful lot of talk on the subject of whats going on in "The Channel". Whether you agree or disagree about behavoir there it is going to change because of the attention it's getting. There are a lot of people that do not like the situation and if things dont change for the better then you will see some sort of action before the end of this summer, just my opinion. NSF
There is a nation wide user fee in the works right now for all public land usage. This is so wrong. Vote Libertarian gentlemen. Less govt is the only direction we should all be taking.
Yet more laws signed by Bush today.
President Bush on Wednesday signed legislation aimed at helping parents keep their children from seeing sex scenes, violence and foul language in movie DVDs.
I don't dislike Bush but, he signs just about everything put before him on his desk!!! I guess the Govt is now required to raise our children.
I mean, come on. Congress is now involved in Baseball????wtf
Two words. Laizae(sp?) Faire

moneypit
04-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Aint gonna happen. I already paid my fee. Its called taxes. Unless they want to privitize the channel or turn it into a national park. I will keep floating through.

moneypit
04-27-2005, 08:13 AM
There is a nation wide user fee in the works right now for all public land usage. This is so wrong. Vote Libertarian gentlemen. Less govt is the only direction we should all be taking.
Yet more laws signed by Bush today.
President Bush on Wednesday signed legislation aimed at helping parents keep their children from seeing sex scenes, violence and foul language in movie DVDs.
I don't dislike Bush but, he signs just about everything put before him on his desk!!! I guess the Govt is now required to raise our children.
I mean, come on. Congress is now involved in Baseball????wtf
Two words. Laizae(sp?) Faire
Political Rhetoric?

bigkatboat
04-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Going into the channel area is one of the reasons we moved here. It certainly was not for the high paying jobs! The 'mentality' of this city council and it's backers is to THROW CITY MONEY AT IT! They think that a $5.00 charge will "bring in money" and "drive out that 'certain element' of people" US! The channel is City property and that's why the city cops patrol it. (not part of the lake) If the charge does come to be law, those who are causing most of the problems may have a different attitude about the entire place. They may see "paying admission" as a 'ticket' to do WHATEVER THEY WANT, "'cause I paid to get in here". Over the years, the big theme parks have charged more and more for tickets, and it has NOT STOPPED the violence and damage. In stead of offering the city workers reasonable pay, the 'city fathers', OVERPAY the "chiefs" and underpay the "workers". Also, this city council likes to give BIG $$$ CASH PAYOUTS to "trouble makers" in city government, as long as they stay silent! We need more cops and more trash cans in the channel, not more STUPID laws and fees!

Rod-64
04-27-2005, 11:37 PM
I guess the CITY doesn't care that the STATE already charges me $100 for an annual pass.
And let's not forget about lack of increments here.........it jumped from 75 TO 100 in one shot.
Last week I got kicked out fishing near the Kon Tiki in the village of which I've been doing for years...........the snotty rent a cop on the golf cart said the new owners don't want fishermen there. Because we were leaving anyhow I didn't get into it with him. Since when do the business owners own the walk way under the bridge?
If Havasu get to be anymore Nazi-ized than it is, then I'll take me boat out of storage there and they can kiss my ass!! :yuk:
Rod-pays all his fees and taxes-64 :220v:

ClownRoyal
04-28-2005, 06:39 AM
Not gonna happen. Get real...how would they collect fees from 200 boats on a busy day.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Not gonna happen. Get real...how would they collect fees from 200 boats on a busy day.
They would/could ahve someone walking up and down the banks on each side and checking to see who has and who ahs not paid. That's what the BLM does for the coves on South on the lake. Not saying they should charge, just saying there is a way to collect the fees.

Wicky
04-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Yes, vote Libertarian and throw your vote away. That will show them.
Ahhhhh, yet another intelligent, great philosophical, one sentence reply by Shockwave Bob!!!!!
I want to be cool just like Shockwave Bob when I grow up!!!! :D

malibuken
04-28-2005, 06:59 AM
This is just like what has happened to "Cruising" with your car in towns across America. Cannot do it anymore. If you are caught coming and going more than one time on the same street you get busted, because that means you are causing trouble. No parking or loitering on the sides anymore, that means you are causing trouble. No parking in the vacant lots adjacent to the streets showing off your bitchin ride, that means you are causing trouble.
Same thing with the channel. Because there is a minority causing trouble, the rest of us "normal" people are scorned for it. I think they need to take a different approach to the problem.
And if that is NOT the reason for a fee, but intead they are just looking at ways to create revenue, maybe they should look into the outrageous wages some officials are making.

malibuken
04-28-2005, 07:00 AM
They would set up Toll Gates at both ends of the channel, just like in "Blazing Saddles" :D :D

ClownRoyal
04-28-2005, 07:06 AM
They would set up Toll Gates at both ends of the channel, just like in "Blazing Saddles" :D :D
and equip them with cameras to get your numbers and mail you a ticket if you don't pay... :hammerhea

Wicky
04-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Just curious Shockwave Bob. If I didn't know any better,(the dumbs.hit that I am) I'd say you work for the state. Please answer in crayon for me.
No words larger than two sylables please for the slow ones like myself up here in Idaho.

Tom Brown
04-28-2005, 07:52 AM
The city in which I live charges us fairly heavy tax (I pay $3650/year in property tax). This tax, I had assumed, is for infrastructure.
Not so much, though. When they repaired the water main on my street and repaved it, they sent everyone on my block a bill for $7200. :D
My understanding is that most of the property tax goes toward paying down the debt that stacked up from decades of over spending so they have to charge us directly (full price) when they have any work done.
Have a nice day. :)

Magic34
04-28-2005, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=Tom Brown
Not so much, though. When they repaired the water main on my street and repaved it, they sent everyone on my block a bill for $7200. :D
QUOTE]
Do they have to inform you of the cost of the fix before they do it? That is total BS..... What happens if you don't pay? How can you be responsible for a public street? Did you pay it Tom, if so did you delay payment and did they come after you?
I was thinking of moving to Havasu, but this is out of control.

cdog
04-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Don't you guys think it's funny how in times like these where property tax's are at an all time high and the states property is worth more than ever they try to come up with more ways to squeeze us vrs. liquidate some of their own crap to pay for their short falls.

riverroyal
04-28-2005, 08:05 AM
see what happens when californians slowly move into other states,it takes awhile,years,before you know it you will pay for everything......By the way,MAGIC 34,that paint looks amazing,one of the nicest i think ive seen from them,,congrads

Magic34
04-28-2005, 08:09 AM
......By the way,MAGIC 34,that paint looks amazing,one of the nicest i think ive seen from them,,congrads
Thank you!!! :cool:

cdog
04-28-2005, 08:10 AM
see what happens when californians slowly move into other states,it takes awhile,years,before you know it you will pay for everything......By the way,MAGIC 34,that paint looks amazing,one of the nicest i think ive seen from them,,congrads
I agree. I hope cali peeps don't ruin AZ or phoenix particular. I'm planning on getting out of cantaffordya soon and want to get away from the social problems here, I hope they don't follow.

riverroyal
04-28-2005, 08:11 AM
its simple,I like that,it will great from any distance,so when my eyes are blurry i can still see you pass me!

Wicky
04-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Incorrect moron, I don't, nor have I ever, worked for the state, taken any state sponsored money, or been involved in any state sponsored programs. I am a former Recon Marine, I served YOUR country in harm's way for almost 9 years. I am Hispanic and a Democrat. I live in a big fancy house on a golf course, drive an S class Mercedes and currently teach people how to hit a little white ball into a hole in the ground. I'm the only Democrat in my neighborhood. Anything else you'd like to know?
Democrat...ahhh how sweet...a Kerry fan...you said all you needed to say right there thank you very much!!!
Vatos locos forever esse!!!! O de le holmes!!!!

Tom Brown
04-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Do they have to inform you of the cost of the fix before they do it?
I don't know about 'have to' but they do give an estimate before the work begins.
What happens if you don't pay?
That would be unpaid tax so I assume they would put a lien on your house.
Did you pay it Tom, if so did you delay payment and did they come after you?
Yes, I paid it without dragging my feet. I just sucked it up.

riverroyal
04-28-2005, 08:30 AM
we are going to move to az,not sure how soon,but its coming up,before I snap here in socal

Jrocket
04-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Not all Democrats were John Kerry fans.
O de le is actually spelled "horale". You're starting to show your ass.
LOL!

rivrbrat
04-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I think we have all lost sight of the original problem CARBON MONOXIDE this problem was created by the City Council by allowing and condoning the closing of the Sand Bar on Holiday weekends. Since the first closure there have been deaths in the Channel from carbon monoxide.
The immediate fix to the whole problem of congestion and carbon monoxide would be to open to sandbar on holidays that would relieve the congestion and carbon monoxide concentrations levels.
And some boaters have the nerve to bitch about cigarette smoke.

Mrs. 4-B
04-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Anybody got any dimes. We gotta go back and get a $hitload of dimes!

Chromegorilla
04-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Geez, I feel for all the bullshit you guys and gals put up with out there. Unfriggin real. I was born and raised in NY but have lived in GA for 8 years since joining the Navy. I now boat in and around SE Georgia and NE Florida and feel lucky to do so. The rednecks round here don't give 2 shits about enforcing any type of law whatsoever on the water. (Now gettin pulled over in a car is a whole 'nother story round these parts) Local CG station is lax as hell too. Everytime I launch and the sheriff or DNR cops are aorund they always come up to my boat and wanna look under the hatch an BS. This one deputy always yell's "rev that sombitch!!!!"
Anyhow, I hate to see more restrictions levied against boaters and more liberties stomped on by the few.....damn shame.... :(

Not So Fast
04-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Thank you!!! :cool:
That's hot M34, is Ron doing the capping thing like DCB now or is the rub rail just the same color. A friend just got his Mach 26 with capped front sponsons and the transom I believe and the cost was $ 5000 extra?? What power are you going with? NSF

Wicky
04-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Not all Democrats were John Kerry fans.
O de le is actually spelled "horale". You're starting to show your ass.
Democrat=Ass!!! Just look at your party's logo!!!

robert_pv
04-29-2005, 04:09 AM
It would not be unlikely for alot of boaters that come to Havasu to drop $1000.00 or more on a weekend. If you get people annoyed over $5.00 they just may not show up at all. Policies like this can tarnish a towns reputation and have lasting consequences.
Just my.02

BoatPI
04-29-2005, 05:22 AM
Knowing a few folks in the city, all in a position to know what is is store for the channel, expect changes before the end of the Summer.
We all know the fools that have made what is really an extension of a public park, a place at times where children cannot be present due to the drunken nude behavoir. Let's face it, it is NOT the place that was a meeting spot and place to be for many families that it once was. It is not about big loud boats, but about the lack of respect many exibit towards others. Look at the fights, the threads here have mentioned rude fight enducing comments and conduct directed towards them that was unscolicited and unwarranted.
Look at the trash and just drunken, high stuper some show, the open use of drugs next to families. What a mess it is at times.
I think we can agree this type of conduct has no place in a public park-like setting. The sandbar, perhaps. Imagine the condition of some of the boat operators leaving the channel and speeding off. I would expect limited access to mooring in the channel as part of the solution the city might try. Fewer boats, fewer problems. One could say the police department should deal with it. But in reality they are short of offciers and just do not have the proper resources to deal with the massive issue of being proactive in a channel containing 300 boats and 2,000 peeps.

Boatcop
04-29-2005, 05:38 AM
Couple of comments on the Channel. I don't agree with a user fee in any way shape or form, but just want to inform and clear up some misconceptions.
1) When the Channel was dug, it bacame part of the Lake, and as such a Federal Waterway. Lake Havasu City Police patrol it because it is within the City, not because it is their property. It isn't. The US Coast Guard, Mohave County, Arizona Game and Fish, BLM, US Fish and Wildlife, etc. can patrol and enforce Laws there. There are very few instances when Federal Waterways can be restricted to Public Use. Safety (No Wake Zones, Closing when CO levels get too high, etc) Environmental, (Boats Keep Out) are just a few of those instances. Making a buck isn't one of those.
2) The shoreline of the channel is either owned by private entities, through sales by Bob McCulloch, Leases of State Land, is still State Land, or in the case of London Bridge Beach, which by the way was purchased through State Lake Improvement Funds, which funding comes from Arizona Boat Registration fees and Arizona Marine Fuel Taxes, is Public Land owned by Lake Havasu City. I believe that the "Land" under the water is Arizona State Land, not City Property.
The City can put user fees into effect for people parking on the city owned shoreline, just as the State Park does for people using Windsor or any other State Park, but I don't think they can charge someone for using the waterway, without US Congressional action.
3) Someone mentioned they pay $100 a year. Thats for the use of the launch at the State Park. It has nothing to do with the Channel or the City of Lake Havasu.

Not So Fast
04-29-2005, 07:00 AM
Knowing a few folks in the city, all in a position to know what is is store for the channel, expect changes before the end of the Summer.
We all know the fools that have made what is really an extension of a public park, a place at times where children cannot be present due to the drunken nude behavoir. Let's face it, it is NOT the place that was a meeting spot and place to be for many families that it once was. It is not about big loud boats, but about the lack of respect many exibit towards others. Look at the fights, the threads here have mentioned rude fight enducing comments and conduct directed towards them that was unscolicited and unwarranted.
Look at the trash and just drunken, high stuper some show, the open use of drugs next to families. What a mess it is at times.
I think we can agree this type of conduct has no place in a public park-like setting. The sandbar, perhaps. Imagine the condition of some of the boat operators leaving the channel and speeding off. I would expect limited access to mooring in the channel as part of the solution the city might try. Fewer boats, fewer problems. One could say the police department should deal with it. But in reality they are short of offciers and just do not have the proper resources to deal with the massive issue of being proactive in a channel containing 300 boats and 2,000 peeps.
Well said Boat PI and very true :( I agree that before this season is over that you will see big changes in the channel, most folks on the boards agree on how just a few jerks (well, a lot of jerks actually) have ruined what used to be a lot of fun, now I avoid the Channel because of this. Plus it is just dangerous to be in there. A few threads ago reported on one guy with a new boat that ran into other boats on 4 occasions on the SAME day. I dont need that kind of aggravation, and the ramp at Windsor (hell, any ramp now) has become dangerous on just about any weekend because of overcrowding. We go down and just sit and watch because it is very entertaining but at the same time very sad.Takes the fun out of things when this sort of thing happens but it has!! NSF