PDA

View Full Version : **HELP** DMV dirtbike reg.

4day!!
04-27-2005, 07:58 AM
I bought a dirtbike a while ago from a friend. he actually bought it from a guy in canada and never got it registered under his name. I do have the canadian registration slip. How the hell do i get it registered in my name now. I really didn't care when i bought the bike. But now i am thinking of selling it. Would you buy a dirtbike with this kind of paper trail(or lack there of)?
BTW.. for sale
2002 Yamaha YZ250F
Fineline Suspension
renthal bars and clamp
never raced.. $3,330
2005 Kawasaki KLX110
used softly twice
bought brand new
clean title
$1500
lots o gear for adult and 8-10 year old child..

racecar.hotshoe
04-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Just make a bill of sale.Tell them you bought it at a swap meet.Make them find out where it came from................. :D

1stepcloser
04-27-2005, 08:03 AM
You very likely wont be able to register the bike in California at all.
Canatardian bikes do not have U.S. EPA certification, and are pretty much ineligible for sale or registration within our border.
A good friend of mine has the same dilemma with his CRF, tried several different methods, finally gave up.
You might try the state of Vermont, (seriously) it may be able to be done online, but I beleive that door has been closed as well.
Good luck.

4day!!
04-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Just make a bill of sale.Tell them you bought it at a swap meet.Make them find out where it came from................. :D
Tell who? The DMV? A bill of sale and forge the signature of the seller? Is the a fee for a title search from the DMV?

Mrs.Racer277
04-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Tell who? The DMV? A bill of sale and forge the signature of the seller? Is the a fee for a title search from the DMV?
PM DMVQueen on the boards maybe she can help. She is not on the boards much so it may take a while to reply.

4day!!
04-27-2005, 08:06 AM
For info purposes would any of you buy a dirtbike that you couldn't register?

4day!!
04-27-2005, 08:09 AM
You very likely wont be able to register the bike in California at all.
Canatardian bikes do not have U.S. EPA certification, and are pretty much ineligible for sale or registration within our border.
A good friend of mine has the same dilemma with his CRF, tried several different methods, finally gave up.
You might try the state of Vermont, (seriously) it may be able to be done online, but I beleive that door has been closed as well.
Good luck.
What about AZ??

racecar.hotshoe
04-27-2005, 08:15 AM
YEP!........................ :hammer2:

roostwear
04-27-2005, 08:21 AM
What about AZ??
AZ is worse than California! I bought my KDX with it having only a Certificate of Origin (from 96), and AZ wants a copy of the bill of sale from the dealer. Tried to explain to them it was a purchase from the factory, not a dealer. They still want a copy of the original BOS, and I'd have to bring the bike to DMV for a vin inspection. They made a point of telling me to make sure the inspector can see the vin, 'cuz they're not getting up into the bed of the truck to see it.
I ride it on the reservation, F 'em.

SDLifesaver
04-27-2005, 08:27 AM
I had to do this before. Make a bill of sale and have the buddy who sold it to you sign it. When I did this they didn't look at it twice. Most of the people at the DMV don't know a motorcycle from Canada from a motorcycle from Mars. It took about a half an hour and whatever the fees are. There is a line that you drive up to outside the dvm with cars, bikes, trailers, ect. No big wait inside. Good luck. Nick

4day!!
04-27-2005, 08:30 AM
I had to do this before. Make a bill of sale and have the buddy who sold it to you sign it. When I did this they didn't look at it twice. Most of the people at the DMV don't know a motorcycle from Canada from a motorcycle from Mars. It took about a half an hour and whatever the fees are. There is a line that you drive up to outside the dvm with cars, bikes, trailers, ect. No big wait inside. Good luck. Nick
Any other paperwork to bring other than the BOS. I imagine i need to bring the bike.

Racer277
04-27-2005, 08:43 AM
1Step is right.
Depending on the last digits in the VIN, you may not be able to register in the US period. Just go to the DMV and try, they will let you know as soon as they put it in.
If you can't, it's still good for racing and for track days, but that's about it, unless you have your own track...

1stepcloser
04-27-2005, 10:31 AM
What about AZ??
No matter the state, you are required to have either a certificate of ownership, (pinkslip) or, in the case of non USA vehicles, a Certificate of Origin. The C.O.O. will have the bikes VIN on it, as well as the original place of sale.
As racer 277 posted, one of the digits in the VIN determines the destination country.
although most of the bikes are the same spec, only those that are destined to hit US soil have been certified for use by the EPA. The VIN is different. when the clerk types the VIN into their computer it will not pull a match.
As I said, unless you get real lucky, it isnt going to happen.
Again reffering to Racer277's post, the bike can be used for closed course racing and/or riding.
As long as you dont get stopped by the ranger youre safe. :)