PDA

View Full Version : VHF radios and computer motors?

Outnumbered
04-27-2005, 12:55 PM
I am putting a VHF in the Ultra for the big lakes Powell and Mead. Anyone ever heard of the computers on the new motors (ie 496) being affected by having the antenna too close to the computer?
I was going to put a fold-down antenna mount under the engine cover somewhere to keep it hidden and out of the way. Probably on the "firewall". If we had a problem all we would have to do is open the cover and raise the antenna. It would probably even work short range in the folded position with the cover closed. I couldn't think of a better way to do it and keep it out of sight.
Any ideas for a better mount or any comments on the computer being affected?
Thanks

Outnumbered
04-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Bueler?

Outnumbered
04-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Bump

DEEZ NUTTS
04-28-2005, 05:11 PM
No idea on the motor issue but the radio on Powell is nice to have. If nothing else just turn it on to listen to all the bone heads who rent house boats calling the marina for the dumbest reasons. Gets good in the afternoon when the drunks get a hold of it too.

Outnumbered
04-28-2005, 06:28 PM
I sheared a distributer gear pin on Mead at the mouth of the Overton Arm in the Lavey with the wife and kids in the boat. The cell would not work. I had the VHF and was able to get ahold of the Overton Marina and get a tow. We were too far out to get anyone to tow us in to Temple Bar where the truck and trailer were. Needless to say, I am sold on having the radio as a back-up. Especially with two kids on board.