PDA

View Full Version : Hey, INDIANSPRINGS and ROXYSNOW....

Beer-30
04-28-2005, 07:12 PM
What do you think of this? I am going to see how hard it is to get to the vent line behind the panels. If it's at all do-able, I'm gonna try a pair of these. Should keep the fuel from shooting out of the vents during fill-up!
Let me know if the link doesn't work.
http://www.stemtostern.com/catalog/DisplayProductDetails.asp?ProductDescription=Fuel+ Vent+Line+Surge+Protector&ProductClassID=97&Grouping=Tank+Vent&OEManufacturerID=70&DepartmentID=53

Indiansprings
04-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Let me know how it works. I hate filling that thing up. :D

OutCole'd
04-29-2005, 07:48 AM
Definately keep us posted. Mine does the same.

Beer-30
04-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Will do.

Beer-30
05-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Ordered two of them. Saw a break-down of them on the mfgrs website. Normally it is wide open for in/out venting. When liquid hits a ball that is inside, it seals against the top of a channel and then re-opens when the liquid drops back down. I just hope the vent hoses are somewhat easy to get to!.

Beer-30
05-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Ok, got the valves today. Went out to the boat and started tracing down the vent line(s). Ends up, they come down in an extremely easy spot to get to! This pic is looking back toward the driver's seat from the mid-cuddy. Flipped the seat-back forward and pulled the foam "cover" away from the side.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/2433BeforeSm.JPG
I just cut a section out of each hose that was the length of the mid-section of the valve. Each valve has an "up" and "down" on it, so it's a no-brainer.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/2433AfterSm.JPG
Be patient with me. The tanks are just below half and we are leaving for Lake Mojave on the 26th. Won't be putting gas in until 27th, no since pulling it out there with full tanks. I will let you know how they work after that. :rollside:

Beer-30
05-12-2005, 10:48 PM
So, if anyone is curious how this is supposed to work, here is a photo from their website. I really hope it works as well as it's supposed to. Hard to believe, though, that it would be this easy. Seems the MFGrs would put them in these upper class boats from the start. ?
http://attwoodmarine.com/Products/images/fuel/spectables/1675.jpg

KACHINA KEN
05-12-2005, 11:01 PM
you are freaking me out B30, a splice in the fuel line that is inside the cabin without a proper( high pressure type ) fitting sends up red flags all over the place with me. I dont tell anyone how to rig their shit but be careful man. :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

Roxysnow
05-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I completely missed your thread. Sorry about that! Definitely let us know how they work. Looks like a clean install also. TTYL my sleekcraft Brothas! :cool:

Beer-30
05-12-2005, 11:46 PM
you are freaking me out B30, a splice in the fuel line that is inside the cabin without a proper( high pressure type ) fitting sends up red flags all over the place with me. I dont tell anyone how to rig their shit but be careful man. :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
Did you not realize we are talking VENT lines? I'm confused.
There is just a regular hose fitting on the bulkhead vent fitting with just a regular hose clamp like what you see in the photo. They are installed exactly as is shows on the package, per ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) safety standards.
Just for info. There are a lot of decaffinated brands that taste just as good as the real thing.

Indiansprings
05-13-2005, 05:22 AM
How did they work?

KACHINA KEN
05-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Did you not realize we are talking VENT lines? I'm confused.
There is just a regular hose fitting on the bulkhead vent fitting with just a regular hose clamp like what you see in the photo. They are installed exactly as is shows on the package, per ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) safety standards.
Just for info. There are a lot of decaffinated brands that taste just as good as the real thing.
On my last boat ( the shadow30 ) if I filled over 3/4 it would leak out on to the side sometimes, is this the same problem you were having? Do you have another pic that is further back?

Beer-30
05-13-2005, 08:45 AM
How did they work?
I won't fill up until the 27th at Laughlin. Won't know till then. Sorry for the suspense.

Beer-30
05-13-2005, 08:49 AM
On my last boat ( the shadow30 ) if I filled over 3/4 it would leak out on to the side sometimes, is this the same problem you were having? Do you have another pic that is further back?
No, it's when it tops off. When the nozzle clicks off at the fill neck, a full stream shoots out of the vent, down the side of the boat, onto the trailer.....etc. After I cleaned up the mess and finished traveling to the lake, I didn't see any dribble down the side. Doesn't appear to be an issue while traveling.
Further back? Do you mean pics of the vent line back by the tank?

Beer-30
05-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Were you thinking EFI pressure lines on this? I'm still confused why you would question the vent lines, seriously. I'm not being a smarty. You lunged at me like I didn't know what I was doing.
If those were EFI lines or even lines that were carrying fuel to the motor, I would agree with you. :mix:

Beer-30
05-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Oh, and by the way, fellow Sleekers. I just got done fixing my rear seat bases. The screws had mostly all let go from the wood. I was going to just move the hinges inboard on each seat to get some new wood.
My wife said to just fix it right, regardless of what it costs. Ya just gotta love her. Anyway, I took them to an upholstery shop. He cut new wood bases, resin-ed them, and put "t-nuts" in from the top. Then put the uph back on with some new foam. Now, instead of screws, the hinges are held on by #10-24 stainless bolts. Really sturdy.
Let me know if you need any specific info on this project. Fix it once and fix it right.

KACHINA KEN
05-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Were you thinking EFI pressure lines on this? I'm still confused why you would question the vent lines, seriously. I'm not being a smarty. You lunged at me like I didn't know what I was doing.
If those were EFI lines or even lines that were carrying fuel to the motor, I would agree with you. :mix:
Nope, no lunging. Sometimes it's hard to convey what I mean over the internet. My only concern was a break in any of the fuel system lines inside the cabin.

Beer-30
05-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Nope, no lunging. Sometimes it's hard to convey what I mean over the internet. My only concern was a break in any of the fuel system lines inside the cabin.
I guess we all have our opinions on a plethera of subjects. Fuel lines, vent or other, is just one more I guess.
I just have never heard or seen anyone get concerned over a vent line. Yeah, it's gas vapors and the occasional liquid, but no pressure. Even putting this surge vavle in doesn't propose a threat. The liquid will hit with whatever force the nozzle is putting in during fill-up. Then it's gone. The rest of the time, it's incoming air more than anything! The engine is pulling fuel and drawing air in.
Even if BOTH hose clamps failed and fell to the floor of the mid-cuddy, the hoses had to be forced over the barb on either side of the valve. There simply isn't enough pressure to allow them to come apart.
Besides, per section H-24 of the ABYC, it's all sane.
I don't know if even this will help you understand vent lines, but I thought I'd try to keep you from being "freaked out". ;)

Beer-30
05-13-2005, 09:19 PM
And, it's a wide-open mid-cabin. I could maybe attempt to see your point in a closed-bow situation.

KACHINA KEN
05-13-2005, 11:22 PM
I thought I'd try to keep you from being "freaked out". ;)
Sometimes I freak anyhow, flashbacks from Nam' you know?

Beer-30
05-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Sometimes I freak anyhow, flashbacks from Nam' you know?
Don't we all.

Beer-30
05-31-2005, 09:57 AM
They work great! Not a drop! During one fill-up, I didn't listen to the rising fuel and it burped out of the fill spout, but none out of the vent! Filled up three times. Nothing!