PDA

View Full Version : Maheraja water ski

tamalewagon
04-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I can't believe I found this thing on Ebay. Mint condition Maha for cheap!!! These things are $$$ brand new. Anyone else ski on one of these? I bought it more for nostalgia, but definately got to give it a go! Yee friggin' ha! :D :D

Todd969
04-29-2005, 11:15 AM
We have 2 of them. My wife won't use anything else.

tamalewagon
04-29-2005, 11:16 AM
We have 2 of them. My wife won't use anything else.
Right on. Did you buy them factory direct from Bob? I remember his shop on the far side of Clear Lake (from Willow Point). Great memories. :D

welk2party
04-29-2005, 11:28 AM
My father in-law has one. He bought it like 20 years ago. The thing is fast and cool lookin'.

hallett 260
04-29-2005, 11:32 AM
I have a 360 and love it. Maharajah's let you ski twice as long and on rough water. Everyone who doesn't know them trips when they see me pull out a wood ski.
Zach

1Bahnerjet
04-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I've got two, the 3.5 & 7.5 both 30yrs old. thinking about sanding them down clear coat them, then hang them on the Wall in a Cross pattern :D

dirty old man
04-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I'd bet more Catalina Ski Races have been won on Maha's than any other

HCS
04-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Yep. I have a couple I picked up at garage sales. $20.00 ea. mint condition. :eek: :supp:
I always have my eye out for those. People give em away.
E-mail Bob Maher. I got some great t-shirts from him. He's a cool dude. :cool:

Todd969
04-29-2005, 11:45 AM
"Right on. Did you buy them factory direct from Bob? I remember his shop on the far side of Clear Lake (from Willow Point). Great memories."
I know one of them is 30+ years old and the other is maybe 15. The older one was bought from the owner by my father in-law when he used to ski out of B&W at the Delta. Both are unique.

HCS
04-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Here's the link.
http://www.mahaskis.com/
He'll custom make the ski the way you want it. New up to date bindings of course. Way better than those old bindings.

tamalewagon
04-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Here's the link.
http://www.mahaskis.com/
Thanks Hardcore, I'll shoot him an email. I'm thinking I will probably want to upgrade the boot to a highwrap in front, the old one is looking little worn...good looking avatar, down and deep. :D

HCS
04-29-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't see a pic of his t-shirts on there, but there great!
They have "Maherajah" on the front and "My Woody has an attitude" on the back.

HCS
04-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Sometimes I'm not sure about Bob sometimes.
Here's his boat. :D He's quite the character.
http://www.mahaskis.com/images/boat_still.jpg

tamalewagon
04-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Sometimes I'm not sure about Bob sometimes.
Here's his boat. :D He's quite the character.
http://www.mahaskis.com/images/boat_still.jpg
LOL :D I saw this boat not too long ago on TV. :rolleyes:

ratso
04-29-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm still kinda partial to Cypress Garden's skis...

Dribble
04-29-2005, 01:54 PM
If you're going to ski on a wood Maja you are required to wear the period apparel as well. Get back on Ebay and look for a red Speedo.

HCS
04-29-2005, 02:07 PM
If you're going to ski on a wood Maja you are required to wear the period apparel as well. Get back on Ebay and look for a red Speedo.
That and a white ski belt around your waste with your name writen on it with a black magic marker.

tamalewagon
04-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Got the belt, got the ski, there isn't enough money around to get me into a speedo.

HCS
04-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Got the belt, got the ski, there isn't enough money around to get me into a speedo.
I didn't save any of my belts. Can you still get those at K-mart?

tamalewagon
04-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I didn't save any of my belts. Can you still get those at K-mart?
No, but I see them occasionally on Overtons or at West Marine.

Brian Ray
04-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Cousin bought a brand new one a few years ago....cost somewhere around $650 if I recall. :D
When I was little I use to ski on them....
Beautiful ski's.... :D

LUVNLIFE
04-29-2005, 05:41 PM
I have one. A double boot and they are one of the nicest skis around. Comfy, fast and you can go forever :cool:

tamalewagon
04-29-2005, 06:42 PM
I haven't skied on one for years. Just curious if it has similar characteristics as my KD or what it's similar to.

shueman
04-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Got one, but my fav is my O'brien 'woody'....still use the ski belt along with the two piece wetsuit....

Tahiti350
04-29-2005, 06:50 PM
I have a bunch of old wood ski's stuffed up in the rafters of the garage, will have to look and see what I actually have.... :idea:
Most of them were "gimme's", including one hand made by a buddy of mine when he was in high school. It's hand laminated Oak, Walnut, and Cherry, with a hand painted sunset that his mom did before he clearcoated it. He gave it to me after his mom died, couldn't handle seeing it around. I'll never use it, just hanging onto it. One day he will want it back, and I want it to look the same as it did when he gave it to me. He told me that it was a killer ski, but almost no give (flex) at all.

tamalewagon
04-29-2005, 06:54 PM
I have a bunch of old wood ski's stuffed up in the rafters of the garage, will have to look and see what I actually have.... :idea:
Most of them were "gimme's", including one hand made by a buddy of mine when he was in high school. It's hand laminated Oak, Walnut, and Cherry, with a hand painted sunset that his mom did before he clearcoated it. He gave it to me after his mom died, couldn't handle seeing it around. I'll never use it, just hanging onto it. One day he will want it back, and I want it to look the same as it did when he gave it to me. He told me that it was a killer ski, but almost no give (flex) at all.
Great story...I'm sure your buddy will be suprised at the great shape it's been kept. I didn't think these skis would have much flex. It'll be interesting to get it on the course. :2purples: :D

mike37
04-29-2005, 07:28 PM
shit my dad built skis like that before any one new what water skiing was
I cant stand to ride any thing els
he still has all hes paterns and forms

coolchange
04-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Still have both my Taperflex "Jumpers". Wood wide tails 70" or 72" People would laugh when they saw them, but dig my 230 pounds in and they would throw a wall of water!

Brooski
04-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Got one, but my fav is my O'brien 'woody'....still use the ski belt along with the two piece wetsuit....
I picked up an old woody Obrien from a friend that was throwing it away. It even has custom shag carpet for your feet. That ski rocks.

bilgewiper
04-29-2005, 08:45 PM
I went to school near the Maha factory in Healdsburg back in the mid 70's. Everyone had those beautiful wood skiis. But, I had to be the first to get the "new" black fiberglass glass "2001". I still have it out in my shed and havent taken it out of it's original Maha cover in probably 18-20 years. Oh well, havent done any slalom skiing in the last 2 decades either.

purrfecttremor
04-29-2005, 09:44 PM
i have a 38 year old maheraja.havnt used it in years.still in the original ski bag.best ride ive ever had!still looks new.

72 Hondo
04-29-2005, 10:06 PM
I can't believe I found this thing on Ebay. Mint condition Maha for cheap!!! These things are $$$ brand new. Anyone else ski on one of these? I bought it more for nostalgia, but definately got to give it a go! Yee friggin' ha! :D :D
Do you have a pic of the ski, Id like to see which one it is.
PM me with it if you can.
Thanks

HCS
04-29-2005, 10:21 PM
shit my dad built skis like that before any one new what water skiing was
I cant stand to ride any thing els
he still has all hes paterns and forms
I have 2 old friends of my dad's that use to build their own skis back in the late 60's early 70's. Their the ones that taught me how to ski. The one friend could rip it up on anything, his name was Jack Knudson. If the name is familiar let me know.
Tom

HCS
04-29-2005, 10:30 PM
I haven't skied on one for years. Just curious if it has similar characteristics as my KD or what it's similar to.
I swear by KD's. That's all I ski on. I have the 2004 KD CR7, one bad ass ski.
The wood Maha's don't handle anything like that. There very stiff and fast.
Unforgiving. I've always wanted to throw a killer set of bindings on one and push it to the limit! I'd probably kill myself. :D

ratso
04-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Still have both my Taperflex "Jumpers". Wood wide tails 70" or 72" People would laugh when they saw them, but dig my 230 pounds in and they would throw a wall of water!
...were those the ones with the formica bottoms???

H20skier
04-30-2005, 04:59 AM
I have one. A double boot and they are one of the nicest skis around. Comfy, fast and you can go forever :cool:
Me too. I'm old, with 2 bad knees and it allows me to still be on the water. Actually there are 5 of them in our family. We all defected from Vogues.

slotracer
04-30-2005, 05:44 AM
if any one is looking to sell a 7.5 would love to buy it. learned how to ski on one. best ride ever for me. thanks
pat(slotracer) :mix:

RitcheyRch
04-30-2005, 06:30 AM
I have never tried one but my friend, Randy has done many Catalina Ski Races on one.

tamalewagon
04-30-2005, 06:59 AM
Do you have a pic of the ski, Id like to see which one it is.
PM me with it if you can.
Thanks
I'll post a few pictures when I get it. It's supposed to arrive on Wednesday of next week. :D

tamalewagon
04-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Unforgiving. I've always wanted to throw a killer set of bindings on one and push it to the limit! I'd probably kill myself. :D
I hear you. :D I'm still skiing on the 7000 and I have a Redline that I still love. Your avatar looks like a lake we used to compete at when we skied against SAC State (just a few years ago! :D ). Anywho, the Maha should be fun nonetheless as I probably will put some double boots on it and go for a ride. :2purples: :D :D

HCS
04-30-2005, 07:28 AM
I hear you. :D I'm still skiing on the 7000 and I have a Redline that I still love. Your avatar looks like a lake we used to compete at when we skied against SAC State (just a few years ago! :D ). Anywho, the Maha should be fun nonetheless as I probably will put some double boots on it and go for a ride. :2purples: :D :D
I was skiing on the purple KD 7000. I liked that ski and was kinda hesitant to spend the bucks on the CR7.
I figure it was time to step up. I'm glad I did. The CR7 is alot quicker out of the turn and behind the boat.
When pushed hard it's a rocket. A very predictable ski.
Here I am cruising a turn on some glass water on labor day last year.
Tom.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/637Picture_012.jpg

mike37
04-30-2005, 07:31 AM
I have 2 old friends of my dad's that use to build their own skis back in the late 60's early 70's. Their the ones that taught me how to ski. The one friend could rip it up on anything, his name was Jack Knudson. If the name is familiar let me know.
Tom
I know a Jack Rathbin
my dad and jack would ski in long beach at a place called marine stadium
their was a ski jump there
and they also would go the the river before any one else buy fishermen
I have a pic of big bend with his boat in the water and its all glass
this is all back in the early 50s late 40s

mike37
04-30-2005, 07:34 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/253bigbend.gif

HCS
04-30-2005, 07:46 AM
There's a site to be seen.
We have alot of old pics in my family. My dad was into slide projectors,
so most of them are on slides. You have to show them on the living room wall. :D
I learned to ski behind my dad's 1959 Trojan run about.
It's and 18ft, all wood of course, inboard with a 318 Ford Thunderbird motor.
Still in the family.

Dribble
04-30-2005, 07:49 AM
I finally upgraded my 25 year old Obrien with a new Obrien. Works great for an old injured guy.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/365DCP_0487-med.jpg

mike37
04-30-2005, 07:56 AM
my dads the same slides and some 35mm film
I need to get them converted to digital befor their faded away
There's a site to be seen.
We have alot of old pics in my family. My dad was into slide projectors,
so most of them are on slides. You have to show them on the living room wall. :D
I learned to ski behind my dad's 1959 Trojan run about.
It's and 18ft, all wood of course, inboard with a 318 Ford Thunderbird motor.
Still in the family.

H20skier
04-30-2005, 09:42 AM
You're on the mark there. Hubby broke a couple of ribs last Sept doing just that.

tamalewagon
04-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Beautiful pictures Mike!

04-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Bought my 1st Maha in 1963 from Montclair Sporting Goods. Long before the concave model and standard sizes. It was custom made to your height, weight and speed you liked to ski. All I remember is it was a great ski and a lot of money for a kid my age, had to throw alot of newspapers to buy that ski. Worth every penny I spent.

Tahiti350
04-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Here's a couple of pic's of my rack of ski's. The one with the Sunset on it was the one my buddy made. The ding in the tree area was from the ski rope grip hitting it as he went down (hard). The bottom is scalloped, and the pic's don't show how nice it really is.
Does anyone know anything about the rest of them? Left to right they are:
1. Flagg, painted wood
2. Seven Seas, painted wood
3. SSS Leader LP57's made by Superior Sports Specialties in San Fernando, wood with Formica bottoms
4. Custom, hand laminated Oak, Walnut, and Cherry (if I remember right), hand painted and clear coated
5. Western Epoxy/Fiberglass, bottom scalloped like the custom (see side view)
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266Ski_s_1.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266ski_s_2.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266ski_s_custom.JPG

tamalewagon
04-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Those are fantastic...my mother still has her old ski (maha) with their old "Gardena Boat Club" sticker on it. :D

phebus
04-30-2005, 12:58 PM
I've got an old pair of wooden ski's at the Havasu house thar are "Havasu" skis. Really cool, good decorating item.

HCS
04-30-2005, 01:18 PM
I was thinking about making one of those park bench dealios.
I'd have to get some skis together I could drill holes in.

mike37
04-30-2005, 01:54 PM
that looks like some of the skis on my dads rack
but my dad built most of the ones he has
Here's a couple of pic's of my rack of ski's. The one with the Sunset on it was the one my buddy made. The ding in the tree area was from the ski rope grip hitting it as he went down (hard). The bottom is scalloped, and the pic's don't show how nice it really is.
Does anyone know anything about the rest of them? Left to right they are:
1. Flagg, painted wood
2. Seven Seas, painted wood
3. SSS Leader LP57's made by Superior Sports Specialties in San Fernando, wood with Formica bottoms
4. Custom, hand laminated Oak, Walnut, and Cherry (if I remember right), hand painted and clear coated
5. Western Epoxy/Fiberglass, bottom scalloped like the custom (see side view)
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266Ski_s_1.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266ski_s_2.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266ski_s_custom.JPG

tamalewagon
05-02-2005, 05:53 AM
just got the ski this morning...FED-EX is up awfully early! I'll post some pix in awhile.

NoCal NoBoat
05-02-2005, 10:35 AM
My first time up on a single was on my cousin's Maherajah. I don't remember using any other ski after that.
I look at them once in awhile on e-Bay, but I don't bid, because I don't know what size I'd need now. I didn't weigh 210 back in the day.
I'm also looking for a clean Maherajah skateboard. Hard to find without a lot of dings, and they always go for $$$'s.
I do have an original Maherajah "Right On" poster, featuring a pre "Three's Company" Suzanne Somers wearing a Maha decal, and very little else.

HCS
05-02-2005, 10:50 AM
My first time up on a single was on my cousin's Maherajah. I don't remember using any other ski after that.
I look at them once in awhile on e-Bay, but I don't bid, because I don't know what size I'd need now. I didn't weigh 210 back in the day.
I'm also looking for a clean Maherajah skateboard. Hard to find without a lot of dings, and they always go for $$$'s.
I do have an original Maherajah "Right On" poster, featuring a pre "Three's Company" Suzanne Somers wearing a Maha decal, and very little else.
Like I said earlier, you just have to keep an eye out for them.
I found a 68" Maha that some guy pulled down out of his rafters at a garage sale.
He said he was moving and didn't ski much anymore. He wanted 20 bucks for it.
I played the game and humm and haud for I minute and said well I guess I'll give ya 20. :D Scored.
It only has one ding in it. Which is rare for a Maha.

mike37
05-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Iv got some pic of the ski I ride that my dad built but hot boat image center is down so i will post them later

mike37
05-02-2005, 04:29 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/253my_ski_4.JPG

mike37
05-02-2005, 04:30 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/253my_ski_3.JPG

mike37
05-02-2005, 04:31 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/253my_ski_1.JPG

outboardrick
05-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Thought I'd be the only one to know of the poster. My first ski was a 2001 with the matching vest. Next was a wood 360(lost to a monsoon). Then the best, a graphite LaPoint(lost to a thief). I still have the last, a 66 38 off, not that it will ever get my fat ass out of the water now! I bought all of them from a small ski shop in San Bernardino owned by Danny Churchill. I twisted some arms and got one of the only remaining posters. Here is a shot of it on my garage wall.

outboardrick
05-02-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm not able to upload the pic? Help! Says it's not a valid image.

HCS
05-02-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm not able to upload the pic? Help! Says it's not a valid image.
Hard to say. Down load size or something. More detail might help us figure it out. :coffeycup