PDA

View Full Version : Driver's licenses for boats: members poll for article

h2oedits
04-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Boat insurance is more of an issue than ever...performance boats have never been more accessible to the masses, and everyone's favorite waterways are more and more crowded, increasing the "bonehead" factor...is it time for mandatory drivers licensing for boaters?
Some people think so. They point out that if ALL of us were armed with a few basic skills, a command of the "rules of the road," and the potential to have our boating "privileges" taken away (multiple BWI's, accidents, etc.), the lake would be safer, we'd have fewer accidents, insurance rates would go down, etc.
Others of us feel that the last thing we need is another government infringement on our rights just to "be"...that boating is the last, mostly unregulated motorsports frontier...that licensed or not, there are still going to be the same, proportionate number of nit-wits on the water...
Where do you stand, and why? Thanks in advance for your .02!!!
Kevin Spaise
Hot Boat

spectratoad
05-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Yes there are alot of idiots on the water. I would like to see what the numbers are for boats on water versus accidents???
It seems that a majority of the accidents are alcohol related and a DL would not have mattered.
Would a boating safety course be a good idea? I don't think I would have too much heartache with that. :idea:
I don't think that a DL is a good idea though.

shueman
05-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Boating is the ONLY motorized activity the DOES NOT require a license, driving test, etc.....that's GOT TO CHANGE..... :jawdrop:
Car, motorcycle, off-road, moped, all have requirements.....you can buy a boat today and go out on the water, no questions asked.....NOT right....
Just my 2¢

05-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Licesces for boating?....Methinks its just another way for government to get into our pockets. Licences will not curb accidents or idiots, proof of that is our roads, just look at any freeway at rush hour which is 5 AM to 10 PM. Since when does a licence give anyone the right [privlige] to drive. The last 3 or 4 people that have hit my car, truck and house all did not have a licence or insurance and their cars had bogus regestration so there was no way to track down the culprit. Another bad guy gets off Scott-free. Put my vote in the "no" column

CARLSON-JET
05-01-2005, 04:56 PM
those that follow the law will .. those who don't want too won't. I think It's going on the books soon anyways.. R.B.

hoolign
05-01-2005, 05:42 PM
By 2009 all boaters up here must have taken and passed a safe boating course.. It's a fairly idiotic course .but a step in the right direction..I think everyone who wants to have a power boat should graduate their way up the way most of us did ( i havent finished graduating in that sence) learn howto run a 12 foot boat before they are allowed to drop their asses ina 100 MPH boat. You all have seen it.some shmuck decides he wants to get a boat , which is alright and kudos to him. But to get in a boat that does a 100 and get right to it without knowing port from starboard or the bow from the the stern is just an accident waiting to happen. You see these morons at the boat launch looking like they are trying to back up a rope. There needs to be compitancy testing not only for purchasers but for the real hazards...the renters! boats, lake lice, whatever any knothead with 50 bucks can get in a boat or on a sea doo and act the fool, piss responsible boaters off and run half hazard all over the waterways with out any regard to safe operation.

robert_pv
05-01-2005, 05:54 PM
I believe a voluntary boating safety school is a good idea especially if that would make the lake safer and reduce my insurance rates. Any time the government gives a privilege they look to it as a way for additional revenues so they can buy what we don’t want. Next will be additional and tighter laws like speeding, illegal u-turns, too much rooster, too much wake or too much of whatever they feel like ticketing you for. Next you have points on your license and your insurance rates are higher than if you would have never taken boating safety in the first place. Next comes boating safety survival school and community service so you can get your license back. It’s a vicious channel I don’t care to navigate through.

hoolign
05-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I believe a voluntary boating safety school is a good idea especially if that would make the lake safer and reduce my insurance rates. Any time the government gives a privilege they look to it as a way for additional revenues so they can buy what we don’t want. Next will be additional and tighter laws like speeding, illegal u-turns, too much rooster, too much wake or too much of whatever they feel like ticketing you for. Next you have points on your license and your insurance rates are higher than if you would have never taken boating safety in the first place. Next comes boating safety survival school and community service so you can get your license back. It’s a vicious channel I don’t care to navigate through.
I think it should be mandatory! not volentary!..making it a licence I'm not for.. but mandatory safe boating course..yes. I agree that if given the opportunity it would be another cash cow for the goverment and we don't need that. What i would like to see is at least all boaters should know the "rules of the water" .your always gonna have show offs ( I fit right in there) And your always going to have idiots..( leave that alone Brown) but lets at least get people educated in what the should be doing. I have reported more than one moron and the cops dealt with them ...one of the first things out of their mouths is " well gee I did'nt know that" well what the hell are you doing on the water then ???

robert_pv
05-01-2005, 06:16 PM
I think it should be mandatory! not volentary!..making it a licence I'm not for.. but mandatory safe boating course..yes. I agree that if given the opportunity it would be another cash cow for the goverment and we don't need that. What i would like to see is at least all boaters should know the "rules of the water" .your always gonna have show offs ( I fit right in there) And your always going to have idiots..( leave that alone Brown) but lets at least get people educated in what the should be doing. I have reported more than one moron and the cops dealt with them ...one of the first things out of their mouths is " well gee I did'nt know that" well what the hell are you doing on the water then ???
With all due respect Hoolign your comment is hypocritical in that if you make it mandatory than it is licensing. If you refuse to take the course than you don’t get ??

hoolign
05-01-2005, 06:32 PM
With all due respect Hoolign your comment is hypocritical in that if you make it mandatory than it is licensing. If you refuse to take the course than you don’t get ??
I think there is a big differnce in it being a licence..or weather it is just a "boating awareness course"

Tahiti350
05-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Oregon implemented a Boaters training card training program since 2003, each year another block of DOB's have to take it or not boat in Oregon. 2005 covers from 41-45 years old, so, effective this year I can't boat in my home state until I pass the test :mad: . I am military stationed in Washington, but they have the course online as well as classroom, so I just need to hit their website instead of ***boat..... That's going to be tough :D Fine for not having it is $94 :eat:
I keep waiting for them to link the training completion to registration!!! No completion card, no registration. That will probably come once everyone is required to be complete in 2009. :jawdrop:
They say it was implemented to reduce accidents, injuries, and property damage (wouldn't that be an accident??) on Oregon waterways.

sidewound
05-01-2005, 08:23 PM
HATE.................
Any new government regulations.... any new fees....any new requirements... irresponsible assholes who can't pilot there boat..... dumbasses who do stupid stuff that causes my insurance rates to go up....any politician that wants to pass some boloney legislation to dig in my pockets that I work so hard to keep mostly empty.
LIKE................
Less government PERIOD!.....Less taxes.....Less Requirements....Less irresponsible assholes......
VERY DIFFICULT UNPASSABLE TEST TO PILOT LAKE LICE!
Also a whole lot less government crap. :hammerhea :hammerhea
Did I say that before???? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Any new requirements will cost dollars out of our pockets to finance and regulate it. Hope the bleeding hearts have deep pockets. They usually do.
If your an asshole on our lake your more likley to get your ass kicked than get a ticket.
I kinda miss the good old days.
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR
Oh.....I see ***boat has decided to take my signature along with my image center pics........Nice job boys. :lightsabe Guess I hate you too. :D
Hey how about that...They gave me back half my sig. Keep up the halfassed work boys.

rvrhlic
05-01-2005, 10:35 PM
As much as I hate more goverment, I think you should have to get a lincese there are just way too many people that do not konw WTF they are doing. This actually can up this weekend as we sat in the channel and watched a guy in a shock wave panic, slam the boat in reverse and slam into a DCB punching a nice hole in the side. Then when he tries to pull in to the beach almost hits my boat which is beached.
All of us have seen it, especially in the channel, boaters who think slamming the boat in gear and giving it lots of gas is going to help them as opposed to the guy you using neutral, forward, and revers in idol. There are is no substitute for experience but a good test can't hurt anyone. I know it would cost me more of my money but California is going to take it anyway they mighty as well use it for at least one thing that can help me.
Just my 2 cents

Huckleberry
05-02-2005, 04:55 AM
It is unfortunate that it has come to this, but I see it as a necessary evil. I think it is a good idea that all boaters be required to take a safety course, whether it is online or in person, and pass a test to show you understand the rules of the road. Maybe have the certificate good for 10 years, with an automatic renewal if there are no boating related citations or collisions.
Our waterways are in a way the last untamed frontier for motorized vehicles. Anyone with a big enough checkbook can go down and buy a boat that will do 100+ MPH, and have absolutely no idea how to drive it. Add to this the 14 year old teenage girl on a PWC who thinks everyone can ready her scatterbrained mind and you have the perfect recipe for disaster.
I truly am not one for Big Brother watchng over us all, but the time has come. Can you imagine any moron being able to drive a 1000cc rice rocket motorcycle on our roads where the only speed limit is what is deemed "safe for prevailing conditions?" Or any unlicensed fool being able to buy a Vette and drive it like Rodney King running from LAPD? (Oh wait, this already happens n LA freeways!!!) Anyway, you get my point.

Seadog
05-02-2005, 05:39 AM
To drive a 100 hp car on a fixed road with signs and curbs, you need a license. To drive a 1000 hp boat on a open lake with no knowledge of what is below the surface can be done by any 16 year old kid without any training.
I don't expect requiring training or licenses is going to solve all the woes of boating, but I do expect it to give law enforcement a tool to get more f the idiots off the water. And you cannot have one without the other. If you require training, you must have proof of the training for it to work. A license is merely identification and completion of an examination proving that you are familiar with the rules taught in training. I think that licenses should follow road licenses, in that kids should be restricted to hp, hours and passengers for at least one year. Boats should be ranked according to hp, weight and type. Anything outside of a basic power/weight category, requires proof of competency.
Do I like the idea of mandatory licensing/training? No. Do I accept it as a way to reduce the idiots out there? Yes.

OkieDave
05-02-2005, 05:39 AM
I hate the idea of more governmental regulation but I believe the time for mandatory licensing for boat operators is here. too many people who are completly unaware of the most basic boating safety and courtesy rules are out there causing problems. it will also give the lake patrol the right to require a person to take an alcohal level test just like in a car. the license requirement gives implied consent. you take the breathalizer or forfeit your license. i hate it but we gotta have it.

BarryMac
05-02-2005, 05:40 AM
I personally think making operators get a license to drive their boats is a good idea, as many have stated there are too many people that have large checkbooks and zero boating experience that go down and buy the 100mph lake rocket, these guys are as dangerous as the kid that is getting on a WaveRunner for the first time. There should be mandatory training classes for all people that purchase a watercraft, there also should be regulations that all rental houses give a minimum of 1 hour of training to all would be renters, that would weed out the people that are too impatient to learn a little something about the watercraft they are about to load up on.
I don't see why anyone that loves doing what we do would mind taking some of their precious time to get a license, if they think that we are being over Regulated now then just wait until they completely close our lakes and rivers to anything that has more then 25hp, then we will see who is crying...
jst my .02

wsuwrhr
05-02-2005, 05:42 AM
There are plenty of idiot drivers on the roads everyday. 90% have drivers licenses.
While a drivers license sounds nice on paper to the public and the powers that be, I wonder what REAL good it would do, but of course develop revenue for the government.
Brian

shadow
05-02-2005, 06:22 AM
I,d say just a mandatory boating safety course,then you get a sticker like a registration sticker that goes by your CA or Az #'s.Then the cops can sort through and site and throw off the water anybody who is not serious enough to take a boating safety course for the benifit of thenselves and everyone around them,Maybe have to renew it every couple of years.Boat drivers license is taking it a bit overboard. :D Anyone can get a license or drive without one atleast with a sticker it's easily visible in plain sight that you've done the course.What would they do,pull everyone over and check for a drivers license?

cdog
05-02-2005, 06:33 AM
If we as boaters had a promise by the insurance companys to do better on our insurance rates then it would be worth while trade off. I'd bet that the insurance co's are in bed with someone on this just like they were when CA went with mandatory car insurance. They're sneaky bastards.

SB
05-02-2005, 06:56 AM
1. Boats should be ranked according to hp, weight and type. Anything outside of a basic power/weight category, requires proof of competency.
2. Have a sticker it's easily visible in plain sight that you've done the course.
These are both fine ideas. I said on this site several years ago that you could have a license requirement for a type of boat, eg.: More than 100hp/ton.
If there was a voluntary course with a sticker, then the boat cops would see it, and know immediately that you took it, and presumably not hassle you. When someone did something stupid, the boat cops could write a ticket and force the idiot to go take the course.

cole13
05-02-2005, 07:11 AM
I do not see how having a boating license can be enforced. I would however like to see it mandatory before the DMV sends your registration that you either have completed a boater saftey course or that you are a power squadron member. Being a PS member should be have a higher weighting VS. someone who just took a BS course. The reason being is that most of the problems that are associated with the water ways are the guys who buy the big length and HP boats because thier buddy has one and they have never been out on the water.
If any of this is going to work I would think that you would also have to increase the number of officers on the water. But this comes at a cost to the tax payers, which would be handled at a state level. Then even if that passed where to put the officers, what to enforce? Is it policed like a highway? Is it more important to police someone who has been driving a boat thier entire life that unless they have a license they can not drive. Or the Yahoo that bought the $100K boat and got his license two days ago. This would not seem right!
In conclusion, I feel that the majority of people boating at least where I go are resposible boaters. I would be in favor of a boating saftey class but not the policing part of it. I think it would cost the tax payers to much money and really change the dynamic of the waterways.
In my opinion!

1stepcloser
05-02-2005, 08:14 AM
I'm in favor of it.
Like it or not, some form of regulation will be coming. There have been too many newsworthy deaths/accidents in recent years.
Coupled with the proliferation of folks that are discovering boating, and not necessarily those with the 100 MPH rockets, there are dozens the family runabout type being sold every week, and a boat cruising down the lake at 50 will be every bit as dangerous as one going 100.
It needs to be everyones responsibility, too many of us want to sit back and preach that we are good, safe drivers, and that some other is a jackball, as if we've never done something stupid before. If we cant take care of ourselves, rest assured our governing agents will step in and do it for us.
For me, as I already posted, I believe it's coming anyway, might as well be on board when it gets here. :notam:
A quick example; London Bridge channel, a safe haven of mine, as well as so many others, is now under the onslaught of regulation. It has always had a set of rules to follow, but many chose to ignore those rules, and we are all paying the price now.

Wicky
05-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Hell f.ucking no!!!
I'm sure Shockwave Bob would be all for it though. :)
Imagine, getting pulled over for an illegal lane change on the water.
If you build it, they will come.
Wicky

Wicky
05-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Boating is the ONLY motorized activity the DOES NOT require a license, driving test, etc.....that's GOT TO CHANGE..... :jawdrop:
Car, motorcycle, off-road, moped, all have requirements.....you can buy a boat today and go out on the water, no questions asked.....NOT right....
Just my 2¢
Huh??
Since when do you need a license to ride a dirt bike or drive an off road car?
Are things that bad in Cali now??
Please elaborate.
Wicky

Mrs CP 19
05-02-2005, 08:23 AM
The fact that there will no doubt be a cost factor makes me dislike it. A boating safety class should be mandatory. We did our classes and had the boat inspected free of charge by coast guard auxillary.After passing test got our safe captain certificates and a certificate that our boat meets CG standards. We keep it with boat registration, hear LE likes to see you take your boating seriously. Also got a small discount on our insurance.

OGShocker
05-02-2005, 08:24 AM
I can't wait to sit some government hack in someones 150+ MPH boat for the practical drivers portion of the test. :220v:
I would like to see manditory training but, that could be handled by the Insurance Companies. Rates for non-certificated drivers could be so high you would be forced into training. My .02.
Kevin,
Nice seeing you at the LA Boat Show. Give us a shout next time you are Stateside.

Wicky
05-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I say, if they can't back their boat trailer up on the first try they should be barred and not allowed on the lake!!!! :D

Smokin Joe
05-02-2005, 08:43 AM
There is a new attitude on the water with this new generation of boaters “it’s all about me” and it show with lack of consideration for others. Just one example Cru zing by roadrunner or Foxes two feet away from docked boats and the ensuing wake reeking havoc and I’m sure they are not aware of the rules about wake damage. But they seem not to care or unaware what they have done until the days comes when it happens to them.
I do not think having a license will give the them a new attitude I also do not think the safety class with give them new found respect for others. I know we need to start some time soon but the government will not fix this problem. It may be us the boaters like many of you who post here to start to educate boaters on the water ways. Like talking to people and passing out flyers with information on water way regulations at the sandbar or local hot spots.
There is no easy answer but government regulation will only be a small step to correct this problem and we will pay for it in higher registration and launch fees. It has to start at a grass root level and have the new boat dealers participate and help pay. But then again it will result in higher boat prices, hey this is my two cents worth and I am overdrawn.

Wicky
05-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Having a license to own my guns sure made me a better shot!!!!

Havasu_Dreamin
05-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I say, if they can't back their boat trailer up on the first try they should be barred and not allowed on the lake!!!! :D
There's some members on here that take too long at the ramp as well. :squiggle:

Huckleberry
05-02-2005, 09:10 AM
I would like to see manditory training but, that could be handled by the Insurance Companies. Rates for non-certificated drivers could be so high you would be forced into training.
Not a bad idea at all. Keeps Uncle Sam out of it all together!

Todd969
05-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Absolutely after seeing an accident in the channel this weekend. So many inconsiderate people out there with boats that they can't handle. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you can operate it "safely".

RiverToysJas
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Having knowledge of boats, and the rules of the waterway doesn't mean you can manuvour a boat safely through a tight spot in a strong current. Knowledge of the rules doesn't guarentee safety either.
To truely license someone, and turn them loose on the water as a "safe boat" should require a "behind the wheel" test with the state. That would be a huge expence, and big pain in the butt. Making a boat licence very costly. It would also get about 40% of the boaters off the water because they are clueless & would not pass such a test.
Requiring a boater safety course is not a horrible idea. It would take knowledge of the rules out of the equation and leave us with only judgement, common sense, hand-eye coordination, and water/weather conditions to deal with.
Jason :D

KROOZIN
05-02-2005, 11:24 AM
It is unfortunate that it has come to this, but I see it as a necessary evil. I think it is a good idea that all boaters be required to take a safety course, whether it is online or in person, and pass a test to show you understand the rules of the road. Maybe have the certificate good for 10 years, with an automatic renewal if there are no boating related citations or collisions.
Our waterways are in a way the last untamed frontier for motorized vehicles. Anyone with a big enough checkbook can go down and buy a boat that will do 100+ MPH, and have absolutely no idea how to drive it. Add to this the 14 year old teenage girl on a PWC who thinks everyone can ready her scatterbrained mind and you have the perfect recipe for disaster.
I truly am not one for Big Brother watchng over us all, but the time has come. Can you imagine any moron being able to drive a 1000cc rice rocket motorcycle on our roads where the only speed limit is what is deemed "safe for prevailing conditions?" Or any unlicensed fool being able to buy a Vette and drive it like Rodney King running from LAPD? (Oh wait, this already happens n LA freeways!!!) Anyway, you get my point.
I agree we need something for beginners.

Ziggy
05-02-2005, 11:50 AM
If licensing(aka basic boating training) saves one life its worth it to me.
I don't want government in my life any more than the rest of you but if it teaches someone just one thing they didn't know that could save a life, you have to say its a good thing. I boat with my family, and thats how I'd like to keep it.

CBLavey
05-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I don't want government in my life any more than the rest of you but if it teaches someone just one thing they didn't know that could save a life, you have to say its a good thing. I boat with my family, and thats how I'd like to keep it.
Ditto...I've seen too many so called "accidents" caused by ignorance and stupidity. The boating industry would be well served to promote the idea of Driver's Ed for boaters before the Federal Government steps in with a much harsher plan.

life's a river
05-02-2005, 12:20 PM
I agree 100%. Car's, motorcycles, why not boats as well! Great post Kevin! Bring it on.
LAR

lucky
05-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Licesces for boating?....Methinks its just another way for government to get into our pockets. Licences will not curb accidents or idiots, proof of that is our roads, just look at any freeway at rush hour which is 5 AM to 10 PM. Since when does a licence give anyone the right [privlige] to drive. The last 3 or 4 people that have hit my car, truck and house all did not have a licence or insurance and their cars had bogus regestration so there was no way to track down the culprit. Another bad guy gets off Scott-free. Put my vote in the "no" column
i'zeeee second that -- with the price of fuel , luxury tax - lic -- boats will become a richmans sport - not a family sport - If they want licences - who's to say they won't require float plans ( like fight plans ) I already feel like the goverment is governing tooooo much

BADBLOWN572
05-02-2005, 02:45 PM
I would fully support mandatory liscensing of boat drivers. I feel that the river has become "trendy" over the past 10 years and the number of boats and watercraft has grown in leaps and bounds. Someone who has zero boating experience can go out and purchase 100mph boats and 65mph watercraft. I feel that it is wrong that we just turn them loose and have them learn by doing it. Additionally, the nice thing would be that it would put boat rental companies almost out of business. Personally I like that idea. :idea: We dont need big groups of people, with no experience, getting on the water and puting each of us at risk.
Just my .02
BB572

barbigrl
05-02-2005, 02:59 PM
I would fully support mandatory liscensing of boat drivers. I feel that the river has become "trendy" over the past 10 years and the number of boats and watercraft has grown in leaps and bounds. Someone who has zero boating experience can go out and purchase 100mph boats and 65mph watercraft. I feel that it is wrong that we just turn them loose and have them learn by doing it. Additionally, the nice thing would be that it would put boat rental companies almost out of business. Personally I like that idea. :idea: We dont need big groups of people, with no experience, getting on the water and puting each of us at risk.
Just my .02
BB572
I can't even tell you how many rent-a-boats I saw this weekend full of young kids... I think this is good idea...however I am sure the people who make a living renting boats to people are going to dislike this idea! F--- em!!

1stepcloser
05-02-2005, 02:59 PM
I feel that the river has become "trendy" over the past 10 years.
Amen to that!
I remember when it was not cool to be a "river rat"

HPB
05-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I was in Laughlin this weekend the traffic was very light BUT THE TRAFFIC THAT WAS THERE HAD NO CLUE over 80% of them were all over the place and WOT in front of Harrahs ( it's a no wake zone there ) They were actually looking at me and a few others like we were nuts? No cops around so they thought :cool: I've been boating since 13 and I'd love to take a class (as a matter of fact I'm going to ) and get licensed if need be, anything to get some sense of responsability. :idea:

jlnorthrup122
05-02-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't feel that a license is that answer! I belive that if the government enforces licenses they will not stop there They will enact speed laws and whatever other laws they can conjure up or some wineass can find to bitch about to conogress or whatnot! I really do not want to have to worrie about some cop attemting to pull me over on the water when I am trying to relax and have fun Because I do not stop for them and they can not catch me either :D! Also I feel Boating could be handed like Hunting have a Boating safety course and so on!

Dribble
05-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Absolutely, I think licensing is the answer. Just look how safe the highways are after 100 years of licensing automobile drivers.

jbtrailerjim
05-02-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm not for the license. I think a mandatory boating safety class is a good idea but I'm not sure how much that is going to help. The biggest problem is....stupidity and no common sense. Last I heard there are no classes out there that can help that problem. :jawdrop:

Magic34
05-02-2005, 04:38 PM
I would like to see manditory training but, that could be handled by the Insurance Companies. Rates for non-certificated drivers could be so high you would be forced into training. My .02.
I think that if it helps with the insurance issues, then it would be a go for me. I would like the insurance companies actually test some of the new boats or hire experienced test drivers to help determine what boats are high risk, and which are safer. Now they couln't do this to every boat, but the high performance boats would be something logical to do. However, this is the boating industry, so that would get dirty real quick.
Basically, if it had some significant savings with insurance, I would be happy to get a license.

sidewound
05-02-2005, 04:57 PM
As I stated earlier NO MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION!
They are in my pockets so deep now I should get a free handjob. If you want to support regulation of this sort I respect your opinion. It's just not mine. A drivers liscence sure didn't make the asshole who hit me a couple years ago any smarter. Or any more fiscally resposible. I'm sure he had to pass some kind of test and it sure didn't help his driving ability.
If you support this type of regulation how about paying my share.
I've never had a boating accident or citation or even pissed anyone off. No matter how good I am with my boat it will still cost me $$$$$ that I could use to buy........HMMM Lets say A McDonalds burger for dinner since that's all I can afford with the taxes, liscences and fees I pay now to
THE MAN!
I can't believe anyone would want to pile more government control on their lives.
Am I the only one that thinks we have too much government already?????
Maybe we should have them liscence your dick so you are required to wear a rubber during sex.
Wouldn't that make the world a "SAFER PLACE"?
The list is unending. If you rely on the government to regulate your life they will be more than happy to do so and send YOU the bill.
Put it to the insurance companies if you must, but keep the money grubbing politcians
OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!! Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.
The attitude that we need more government control will have you payin $5.00 a gallon for gas soon so I hope it's worth it for your peace of mind on the waterways.
CESAR

jlnorthrup122
05-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by OGShocker
Good Idea but what about those falkers out there in there $500.00 Gayliners who don't have the bank telling them to cover it with insurance?
I say Hell no to the license NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Did I mention that I find it hard to like cops :D I don't call them for help I don't need them I really think they are Crooks of the worse kind they have done absolutly nothing for me the cops in this town that I live in are Quota'd ticket writing drones! If you take all the good people that are cops it still would not tip the scales away from all the low self asteemed asshole prick sob redneck dorky weasel rooks that are out there harrassing the working class americans!!! (Sorry about all this just hit a nerve on this one) I don't want them to have anymore leverage out there to rob us of money that does not belong to them and you should just 86 this article all together! Your to good of a writer to stoop to this Garbage :D write about Garfield Arther Wood (Gar Wood)and Jay Smith (Chris Craft) and how they took the Harms Worth Trophy from England in 1920 or was it 1921. Now that would be a good Story! ;)

termiteguy
05-02-2005, 05:09 PM
boat owners are not the bigest problem owners of pwc these idiot
pull away from shore like they are the only ones on the river and make
turns with out looking worst yet they let thier drunk friends ride them
with no exspirence at all or they let thier kids ride it
i say ban those things from the river and accidents will go down

jlnorthrup122
05-02-2005, 05:13 PM
They are in my pockets so deep now I should get a free handjob. If you want to support regulation of this sort I respect your opinion. It's just not mine. A drivers liscence sure didn't make the asshole who hit me a couple years ago any smarter. Or any more fiscally resposible. I'm sure he had to pass some kind of test and it sure didn't help his driving ability.
If you support this type of regulation how about paying my share.
I've never had a boating accident or citation or even pissed anyone off. No matter how good I am with my boat it will still cost me $$$$$ that I could use to buy........HMMM Lets say A McDonalds burger for dinner since that's all I can afford with the taxes, liscences and fees I pay now to
THE MAN!
I can't believe anyone would want to pile more government control on their lives.
Am I the only one that thinks we have too much government already?????
Maybe we should have them liscence your dick so you are required to wear a rubber during sex.
Wouldn't that make the world a "SAFER PLACE"?
The list is unending. If you rely on the government to regulate your life they will be more than happy to do so and send YOU the bill.
Put it to the insurance companies if you must, but keep the money grubbing politcians
OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!! Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.
The attitude that we need more government control will have you payin $5.00 a gallon for gas soon so I hope it's worth it for your peace of mind on the waterways.
Peace Man!
CESAR
ROTFLMAO My sedaments exactly!!!!
HUH? The fact that we are both are from Iowa and are so against the MAN should say something! IOWA SUCKS :D! We got hosed Cesar We got Hosed! speaking of Hosed How about this forking weather? ****ingg 27 degree windchill on May 2nd????? Iowa sucks bro!

Parker Dreamin
05-02-2005, 05:15 PM
I feel that a general watercraft license would be a good idea for everybody. Nothing major of a test or class but more like a basic type online test even. Something that the LE can enforce if they need to. If it keeps one person from getting behind the wheel that should not, then even better. Yes you are still going to have accidents just like in autos. Just think, if you had to take a simple course and test and it kept that one unlicensed operator from getting behind the wheel and you were at the wrong place at the wrong time...it would then make more sense to you allthen. Everybody could sit here and type about this for hours on end. My family and I believe it would be a step in the right direction for sure. It would not do any harm. And to peeps that say keep the man out of my pocket, it could be a low fee, more of like a processing type fee of $25 every two years or something.
I am all for safer waters.

Wet Dream
05-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Ummm, so where's the poll??? :confused:
I'm for the licensing and testing.

jlnorthrup122
05-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Parker Dreamin
Don't Hate......
No to Licensing License or not nowone will keep me off the waters!!!! I have my own places to go and if I need to get away from the cluster I can!

Dribble
05-02-2005, 05:40 PM
The attitude that we need more government control will have you payin $5.00 a gallon for gas soon so I hope it's worth it for your peace of mind on the waterways.CESAR
I agree 100% (and I work for the government). Our boats are licensed, our trailers are licensed, our fire extinguishers are certified, we have safety equipment rules, there are BUI checkpoints everywhere. I've been stopped twice in the last two years after having done nothing wrong (much to their dismay). If you want to throw control of this part of your recreational life to the DMV then you are your own worst enemy.

Kim Hanson
05-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Im for a licence, you ever been hauling ass and you are one the right side and bang this ******** is right now in your face and you have 4 people in your boat at 90 mph! Wave at him and say thanks for being in my space asshole? I think most understand counter clock wise, just some get confused ( my left or his left shit! )
I have a licence and when I see some focked up in the head water lice pilot thinking he is some stunt rider on the side of me, I trim up some and mash it, bye- bye, water lice! If you have a motorized unit that propells you and you don't have a licence stick to boogie boards, surf boards and tubes...PLEASE! :notam:
I have come to think of a boat as a dangerous weapon, you can take out lots of people with poor education when it comes to boating! Just cause I took the test don't make me no focking expert driver, I fly at the seat of my pants most of the time ( I don't wear anything but the kill switch lanyard--life jacket...never )...but with only people that think im capabile of keeping it in the water and still going fast.
I think boating at night is right up there with Licence's, Licence to be so focking stupid you shouldn't even be near the water, let alone with passengers in a boat in the ****ing dark! Its time to wake the **** up and realize, dark is for parking the boat not driving it...If it has lights go for it
I have rambled on now way out of my normal length of posts.........( . )( . )........Get a Licence! :cool:

jlnorthrup122
05-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey Kim I just bit into a brown sugar clump in my homemade sloppy Joe's So I feel that bitch wife of mine should take a falking class on cooking and get a forking license to cook!!!! :D FFFFFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK licenses! But you do have your rite to your opinion even though it don't count :D :D!
Also don't you know how much of an adrenalen rush it is to run wide open on the sea of glass with the full moons light showin you your way???

sidewound
05-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Im for a licence, you ever been hauling ass and you are one the right side and bang this ******** is right now in your face and you have 4 people in your boat at 90 mph!
90 mph with 4 people in your boat? I have always respected your posts but with that statement I must wonder about your common sense. I would not even consider Running that kind of speed with a boat full of passengers. Maybe I need some more GOVERNMENT REGULATION!
Not only that but my boat won't go that fast. :D :D
And to peeps that say keep the man out of my pocket, it could be a low fee, more of like a processing type fee of $25 every two years or something.
Yup your right parker dreamin :hammerhea A mere $25.00 is nothing. Now add in the cost of enforcement, prosecution and keeping it on the books and add that to your tax bill pal.
Did I mention that I find it hard to like cops I don't call them for help I don't need them I really think they are Crooks of the worse kind they have done absolutly nothing for me
Jlnorthrup this has hit a nerve for me as well. I'm so tired of some snot nosed punk cop tryin to be a badass and tell me how much power he has that I want to strangle the bastards.
This is supposed to be a government
Of the people, For the people, By the people!
I will never buy into MORE government. I already work a third of the year to pay their
lazy fat money grubbin asses.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

Kim Hanson
05-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey Kim I just bit into a brown sugar clump in my homemade sloppy Joe's So I feel that bitch wife of mine should take a falking class on cooking and get a forking license to cook!!!! :D FFFFFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK licenses! But you do have your rite to your opinion even though it don't count :D :D!
Also don't you know how much of an adrenalen rush it is to run wide open on the sea of glass with the full moons light showin you your way???
Cooking is an experiment and I don't think you need a Licence to Kill your victim!
Also don't you know how much of an adrenalen rush it is to run wide open on the sea of glass with the full moons light showin you your way???[/
No sorry, way to much shit can happen in that picture and I wouldn't want in that place myself.......( . )( . )........... :supp:

jlnorthrup122
05-02-2005, 06:42 PM
I feel that the laws are out of control! The government is designed to protect the weak What can I say to that well if the Weak had to deal with it they wouldn't be weak then would they? So basically weak = Lazy so the Government is deigned for the Lazy! :idea:

Kim Hanson
05-02-2005, 06:43 PM
90 mph with 4 people in your boat? I have always respected your posts but with that statement I must wonder about your common sense. I would not even consider Running that kind of speed with a boat full of passengers. Maybe I need some more GOVERNMENT REGULATION!
Not only that but my boat won't go that fast. :D :D
And to peeps that say keep the man out of my pocket, it could be a low fee, more of like a processing type fee of $25 every two years or something.
Yup your right parker dreamin :hammerhea A mere $25.00 is nothing. Now add in the cost of enforcement, prosecution and keeping it on the books and add that to your tax bill pal.
Did I mention that I find it hard to like cops I don't call them for help I don't need them I really think they are Crooks of the worse kind they have done absolutly nothing for me
Jlnorthrup this has hit a nerve for me as well. I'm so tired of some snot nosed punk cop tryin to be a badass and tell me how much power he has that I want to strangle the bastards.
This is supposed to be a government
Of the people, For the people, By the people!
I will never buy into MORE government. I already work a third of the year to pay their
lazy fat money grubbin asses.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR
[QUOTE=sidewound]90 mph with 4 people in your boat? I have always respected your posts but with that statement I must wonder about your common sense. I would not even consider Running that kind of speed with a boat full of passengers. Maybe I need some more GOVERNMENT REGULATION!
I know my boat and what it will do, I don't go over board with speed....(90 isn't fast) I have lifejackets in the boat, wear if you want to thing! Kids wear them period! :cool:

jlnorthrup122
05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by jlnorthrup122
Hey Kim I just bit into a brown sugar clump in my homemade sloppy Joe's So I feel that bitch wife of mine should take a falking class on cooking and get a forking license to cook!!!! FFFFFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK licenses! But you do have your rite to your opinion even though it don't count !
Kim Hanson
Cooking is an experiment and I don't think you need a Licence to Kill your victim!
OK let me refraze that
I just bit into a brown sugar clump in my homemade sloppy Joe's So I feel that Everyones wives should take a falking class on cooking and get a forking license to cook!!!!

sidewound
05-02-2005, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE]
I know my boat and what it will do, I don't go over board with speed....(90 isn't fast) I have lifejackets in the boat, wear if you want to thing! Kids wear them period! :cool:
So I am to assume that you will run 90 mph with kids in your boat as long as they have on lifejackets? :boxed: :boxed: :boxed:
Seeing as how it's "Not that fast".
I agree YOU need more government regulation if that is the case.
Go get your lisence. :hammerhea
CESAR

Perfect Mixer
05-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Did I miss the poll question? I'd be curious what the outcome is here. I'm for it 100% Anything to keep some idiot that just rented the boat for $45+ the $9 insurance from hitting me or anyone from my family while on the water! I think we need a poll!

moneypit
05-02-2005, 07:42 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Licenses should be required. I will tell you that if you get a BUI, you will never ever be able to get insurance again.
It sucks but there are way to many dumbshits and drunks on the lake. I cant tell you how many people I see behind the wheel of a high powered boat and they cant park, drive, trailer it....
If you think that getting a license has anything to do with the government needing money, I think you need to re-think what your saying.

Ultrafied
05-02-2005, 07:55 PM
I would see no problem in having to have passed a class to become insured. It could be run similar to the motor cycle safety course in California. Minor classroom courses, some basic hands on performance routines and if you pass, it qualifies you for insurance. The curriculum could be set up by the insurance companies. No government, private courses which you have to pay for, your time to go to class and your time on a local lake with the instructor. No insurance, no registration, that simple. If I want to boat bad enough, I can definitely get through something like this.

Wicky
05-02-2005, 08:09 PM
If you think that getting a license has anything to do with the government needing money, I think you need to re-think what your saying.
WOW!!!!! Can I ask what political party you belong to and what you do for a living?? Just curious.
Wicky

Dr. Eagle
05-02-2005, 08:26 PM
I think if the boating community doesn't come together and propose a workable solution soon, our buddies in the government will decide to give us some spontaneous help. Generally when they help, the result is unworkable, laughable and generally doomed to fail. I say we should come up with a proposal that iwll work and support it through the process, guard the basic principles from those that have their own agenda and just get it over with...

sidewound
05-02-2005, 08:27 PM
I would see no problem in having to have passed a class to become insured. It could be run similar to the motor cycle safety course in California. Minor classroom courses, some basic hands on performance routines and if you pass, it qualifies you for insurance. The curriculum could be set up by the insurance companies. No government, private courses which you have to pay for, your time to go to class and your time on a local lake with the instructor. No insurance, no registration, that simple. If I want to boat bad enough, I can definitely get through something like this.
It sounds pretty simple here. Just a little course and shazam.......you can get insurance and be legal to boat. :wink:
Wait a minute....I have insurance now...I can go boatin now with no liscence. :eek:
Gees...I better get on the bandwagon and opt for
MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION!
After all...I am liscenced for operator,motorcycle,commercial liscence,air brakes,combinations, tankers, doubles and triples and HAZMAT now. Why the mere $25.00 fee everyone seems to think it will be is nothing.
Since it cost me $175.00 to renew my drivers liscence this year I guess that extra $25.00 would make it much easier for me to keep track of it at the $200.00 mark.
Pretty interesting since I havn't driven truck for a number of years but to let the liscences go would mean a lot of testing and certifications if I ever wanted to get them again. So as it is I don't drive truck but the state gets my money anyways. Just so I don't have to go through the crap again. It was pretty interesting this year I had to be fingerprinted to get my HAZMAT restriction.
All you bleedin hearts who think we need MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION
better wake your asses up and see the light. They will tax you and regulate you into the frikkin poor house pal.
Why the hell would ANYONE want to impose more taxes, rules and restrictions onto themselves? Are you stupid? A damn piece of paper and some lame ass course will do no more to protect you on the water than pulling out early will do to prevent pregnancy. Your a dreamer.
Probably a democrat too.
You people are litteraly missing the boat!
You will miss it when you let them regulate it and they tell you you can't have it. Then the rules of the sea will be for naught and weenies like you will have to be happy with your frikkin kayak.
Go ahead...abandon a set of rules that have been in place for centuries and replace them with something that will cost a shitload of money.I hope you're happy in the end when you have asked them to regulate it and let them TAKE it from you. DUMBASSES!
CESAR

termiteguy
05-02-2005, 08:46 PM
geezzz it sounds to me like some board members see black helicopters
the goverment is not that bad :hammer2: :hammer2:

sidewound
05-02-2005, 08:47 PM
geezzz it sounds to me like some board members see black helicopters
the goverment is not that bad :hammer2: :hammer2:
Man!
What century are you living in???????
Peace Man:cool:
CESAR

Ultrafied
05-02-2005, 08:52 PM
It sounds pretty simple here. Just a little course and shazam.......you can get insurance and be legal to boat. :wink:
Wait a minute....I have insurance now...I can go boatin now with no liscence. :eek:
Gees...I better get on the bandwagon and opt for
MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION!
After all...I am liscenced for operator,motorcycle,commercial liscence,air brakes,combinations, tankers, doubles and triples and HAZMAT now. Why the mere $25.00 fee everyone seems to think it will be is nothing.
Since it cost me $175.00 to renew my drivers liscence this year I guess that extra $25.00 would make it much easier for me to keep track of it at the $200.00 mark.
Pretty interesting since I havn't driven truck for a number of years but to let the liscences go would mean a lot of testing and certifications if I ever wanted to get them again. So as it is I don't drive truck but the state gets my money anyways. Just so I don't have to go through the crap again. It was pretty interesting this year I had to be fingerprinted to get my HAZMAT restriction.
All you bleedin hearts who think we need MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION
better wake your asses up and see the light. They will tax you and regulate you into the frikkin poor house pal.
Why the hell would ANYONE want to impose more taxes, rules and restrictions onto themselves? Are you stupid? A damn piece of paper and some lame ass course will do no more to protect you on the water than pulling out early will do to prevent pregnancy. Your a dreamer.
Probably a democrat too.
You people are litteraly missing the boat!
You will miss it when you let them regulate it and they tell you you can't have it. Then the rules of the sea will be for naught and weenies like you will have to be happy with your frikkin kayak.
Go ahead...abandon a set of rules that have been in place for centuries and replace them with something that will cost a shitload of money.I hope you're happy in the end when you have asked them to regulate it and let them TAKE it from you. DUMBASSES!
CESAR
Gee last time I heard, insurance was private corporations. The only thing the goverment would be involved in was if you were able to provide insurance to receive registration. But whatever ....
Now if everone had as much experience as you do, of course we wouldn't need any type courses, licenses, etc. Unfortunatley, there is a real world out there where idiots do boat. This may come into play why something should be done.
If you don't believe it, re-read some of these posts! :messedup:

sidewound
05-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Gee last time I heard, insurance was private corporations. The only thing the goverment would be involved in was if you were able to provide insurance to receive registration. But whatever ....
Now if everone had as much experience as you do, of course we wouldn't need any type courses, licenses, etc. Unfortunatley, there is a real world out there where idiots do boat. This may come into play why something should be done.
If you don't believe it, re-read some of these posts! :messedup:
No disagreement from me on the fact that there are lots of morons that ruin the waterways for safe boaters. I see it all the time.
If they're lucky they won't get there asses stomped.
I don't have any superior amount of experience but I do use common sense.
My one point is why would I want to regulate myself into a corner when I already have the right to do what I always have done. Will taking a course make you a better boater? Will taking a course make the same drunk asshole who cut you off a better boater?
I doubt it. He'll still be the same drunk asshole but with a card to PROVE he's fit to operate a boat!
The rules of the sea have applied to boaters of all sorts for centuries and I can't see a reason to upset that balance.
If your an asshole you should be prosecuted as such. That's why we have the regualatory DNR! Why can't they seem to handle the job? Is it because people havn't taken a course and gotten a "LISENCE"?
No....It's because they are another one of the inept government institutions in which the employees are more interested in securing their position and seeking advancement than actually fullfilling the position in which they reside. If we let them thay will take it all from us.
Did you vote for gun control too? I'm assuming so. And hasn't that bit of GOVERNMENT REGULATION done a world of good to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. DREAMER!
CESAR

MsDrmr
05-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Personally, I don't think it's a bad idea...what could it hurt to have a few "rules of the water" classes and get these guys/girls to know the proper ways on the water?

sidewound
05-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Personally, I don't think it's a bad idea...what could it hurt to have a few "rules of the water" classes and get these guys/girls to know the proper ways on the water?
If they don't know the rules of the water WTF are they doing out there now?
This is a personal thing much as it has been from the time of sailing ships and longboats. It's something you grow into. You can get the list of rules from any DNR website. It's not that tough. Getting people to adhere to them is another subject.
CESAR

rivercookdave
05-02-2005, 11:20 PM
no to licenses,just more government in an area they dont know anything about. anyone who drives on a freeway should know that a license doesnt mean a damn thing in knowing how to drive and that relates to a boat or a truck or car. i do think some kind of safe boating operation should be required for anyone buying a boat that has never owned one,but i dont know how it could be required or enforced,and even then it is only going to be the operator who doesnt have his/her head buried in the sand to follow the rules anyway.
just my opinion
dave

Essex502
05-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Kevin,
I posted this last year:
Licensing Poll (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58038&highlight=license+boat+mandatory)

CrazyHippy
05-03-2005, 10:08 AM
No mandatory licenses.
You cant legislate common sence.
BJH

Essex502
05-03-2005, 12:56 PM
No mandatory licenses.
You cant legislate common sence.
BJH
Why then license motor vehicles and not vessels? Common sense doesn't have anything to do with the issue. Ability to operate - i.e. knowledge of what they have under their control and the knowledge of the rules of the waterways is what is important. This goes for PWC's as well.

jbtrailerjim
05-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Why then license motor vehicles and not vessels? Common sense doesn't have anything to do with the issue. Ability to operate - i.e. knowledge of what they have under their control and the knowledge of the rules of the waterways is what is important. This goes for PWC's as well.
It takes a whole lot more skill to drive a motor vehicle than it does to drive a boat. Most of us don't think anything about driving our vehicles because we to do it everyday. Taking a written test for boating is not going to help much with peoples driving skills in a boat. I agree it would help more people understand the rules of the waterways but a mandatory boating safety class would take care of that.
The majority of problems I see out on the lake are from people that just don't use good old common sense or they just lack experience behind the wheel. A written test is not going to help that.
If the government ever decides to make a license mandatory for boating, I'll about guarantee it will only be some kind of written test. I don't think we will ever see them make people take an actual behind the wheel test.

riverbound
05-03-2005, 03:13 PM
I think there should be some sort of licsensing required. There are a lot more inexperienced people on the water today. I was fortunate in the fact that I was raised on the water and have been around boats since I was 2 weeks old. In high school I worked on a couple different charter boats we did dinner cruises, fishing, etc... I was taught the propper ways to do things. I even had my Coast guard licsense to opperate a vessel carrying no more than 6 passengers.
I do believe that we do not want more government intervention in our hobby, but we as a boating community have not taken the responsibility to police ourselves. I have seen first hand people going from 21ft boats that do 50MPH tops and stepping right into a much larger boat that is capable of much higher speeds. with no training. They walk right into the dealership write a check and out they walk with a boat that may exceed they driving abilities and no one will stop them.
I had a customer that bought his first boat. It was an eliminator daytona with twin 525s. The only boat he had driven before that was his buddy's pontoon, his buddy was too drunk to drive home.His maiden voyage in the
Daytona was memorial day weekend in havasu. There is something wrong with that picture.
So even though I am not for more govt. intervention. I now have kids of my own that I need to keep safe and if it means weeding out just a few of the idiots Im all for it.Its one lees thing I have to worry about when Im on the water with my family.

jlnorthrup122
05-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Here is a solution we could form a non profit organazation to teach seamanship and Navigation Wrinkles for free You pass the class and the Recorder gives you a discount on your registration fees!!! Not to mention your insureace rates will go down!! Sound like a good Idea?? I am really against the Licensing issue due to the way the Vehicle licenses are handled today! How would you like to loose your vessel license due to an issue related to fines stemming from something else or for not paying your child support or whatever other reason they want to conjure up to force you into conformatty boating is my rite and is not a privilage don't take that away from me!!

CrazyHippy
05-03-2005, 03:39 PM
I personally am against licensing for cars too, It obviously (to anyone in southern California) does no good making people better drivers.
Just lke on the So Cal roads, the problem is that people know how to drive, yet they are too stupid do do so efficiently. I honestly believe that the roads would not be any worse if we let anyone over age 16 drive.
The real solution is to kill stupid people. :eek: :hammerhea :eat:
BJH

Mandelon
05-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Kevin here's some things to think about:
I think everyone else should get a license. :rolleyes:
Lake Lice rentals should be restricted to having more experience than simply owning a Visa card. :squiggle:
A course that teaches points on boating safety, effects of alcohol and common courtesy would be welcome by me. Make it mandatory before one can register their vessel or before being able to rent one.
While I am not in favor of more government interference in one of the last few areas of freedom, the crowds are getting bigger, the behaviour is getting worse and the lack of respect for others is simply becoming intolerable.
How about a "Certification" as opposed to a license? Take the course, send in proof with your registration and you are good to go. The course could be similar to the DMV driving book, but hopefully harder. Nothing compares to haveing several years of experience but at least the number of yahoos on the water could be reduced somewhat, and given at least a modicum of instruction in etiquette and safety techniques.
I think it is a necesary evil at this point. Make it a condition of registration or vessel rental contract. A "Certified Operator" would need to be on board any vessel underway. This would allow one to teach a crew member how to operate the vessel. Or let someone help you back to the dock if you've had a few too many..... :messedup:

sorry dog
05-04-2005, 08:24 AM
If you guys want some idea of what it actually does for you then you probably just need to call the marine police dept in Alabama. We've had boat licensing for several years now.
When I took my test, it was $5 (which was really $25 because they had to remake my license to show the V for vessel on it) and a written test similar to a driving written test with 30 or so multiple choice that covered the basics of navigations, who needs what safety equipment, a few common sense things.
It wasn't too hard, but the average yahoo off the street who has never been around boats and didn't study probably wouldn't pass. I don't think it was that big of deal, but I'm sure in the middle of summer there are a good number of folks who drive without it like they are visiting a friend and take the boat out. It just equals another ticket if you caught and you probably got pulled over for something else that makes you stick out (like last week when I got focked with for going 70 on 50mph limited lake.)
However, there are loopholes and I forget them all but the main two is they made it available to take the test online for an extra $20. Even the DMV lady told me to keep 2 windows open so when you take the test, you can go look up the answers. And the other problem is you have to make exceptions for rental businesses to allow un-licensed folks to operate of that pretty much kills rentals for places that have a lot of out of state tourism like our beaches.
For our state it was $25 and 2 hours of pain in ass time to get but other than that I've never perceived much difference except if a friend wants to use my stuff that I don't want to, then I can try the are you licensed excuse. However, I think things work a lot differently on this side of the country. Our laws work slow and sometime common sense is used in the enforcement of these laws.
There is a little 3 mile stretch of mountain river that I boat at in summer.
http://webpages.charter.net/what200/IMAGE005.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/what200/IMAGE009.JPG
...and pretty much everbody violates the 10 horsepower law and probably the license deal too, but it's not needed there.
Laws suck because it has to be a one law fits all situations deal where it might be the right thing for one situation, but a horrible injustice in another.
I guess is just that y'all are so damn crowded out there that a clusterfock is bound to happen on a regular basis license or not.

Jbb
05-04-2005, 08:47 AM
If you guys want some idea of what it actually does for you then you probably just need to call the marine police dept in Alabama. We've had boat licensing for several years now.
When I took my test, it was $5 (which was really $25 because they had to remake my license to show the V for vessel on it) and a written test similar to a driving written test with 30 or so multiple choice that covered the basics of navigations, who needs what safety equipment, a few common sense things.
It wasn't too hard, but the average yahoo off the street who has never been around boats and didn't study probably wouldn't pass. I don't think it was that big of deal, but I'm sure in the middle of summer there are a good number of folks who drive without it like they are visiting a friend and take the boat out. It just equals another ticket if you caught and you probably got pulled over for something else that makes you stick out (like last week when I got focked with for going 70 on 50mph limited lake.)
However, there are loopholes and I forget them all but the main two is they made it available to take the test online for an extra $20. Even the DMV lady told me to keep 2 windows open so when you take the test, you can go look up the answers. And the other problem is you have to make exceptions for rental businesses to allow un-licensed folks to operate of that pretty much kills rentals for places that have a lot of out of state tourism like our beaches.
For our state it was $25 and 2 hours of pain in ass time to get but other than that I've never perceived much difference except if a friend wants to use my stuff that I don't want to, then I can try the are you licensed excuse. However, I think things work a lot differently on this side of the country. Our laws work slow and sometime common sense is used in the enforcement of these laws.
There is a little 3 mile stretch of mountain river that I boat at in summer.
http://webpages.charter.net/what200/IMAGE005.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/what200/IMAGE009.JPG
...and pretty much everbody violates the 10 horsepower law and probably the license deal too, but it's not needed there.
Laws suck because it has to be a one law fits all situations deal where it might be the right thing for one situation, but a horrible injustice in another.
I guess is just that y'all are so damn crowded out there that a clusterfock is bound to happen on a regular basis license or not.
I thought the V on an Alabama license was for Vasectomy...?

CrazyHippy
05-04-2005, 08:50 AM
I keep seeing people say tie a safety course into getting the boat registered. all that means is the owner of the boat has taken the class, it does not mean the driver has. :frown:
Unfortunately for the class to be mandatory, it will have to end up as a license.
BJH :angry2:

lucky
05-04-2005, 09:55 AM
i'm scanning threw these post's and i see some yes's to lic. the next thing i see is havasue I think the shear volume in lake havasu and the river should cause great concern - BUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT in the last 15 years of boating on my lake - i have only seen a few incidents -- so i believe "target counties with high freqency's of accidents/incenidents should do somthing - havasue is it's own monster with the mix of large boats / small boats p/w craft - river levels and housing located on the lake - don't get me wrong - havasu is the mecca - and i have enjoyed my brief visit - I personally believe that flashing is a major factor ( joke ) so - I think before rash steps are evern thought about - they( whom ever they are ) should have info on alll of the usa - and you will see the major places - all with the same problem -- i do believe that these places per capita make them the problem - look at the larger picture -- and get some #'s for us to look at before asking a question like this to be evaluated in "the mag " after all we don't want to tilt the odds and start a goverment intervention trend !
who started this thread kevin -lol are you talking to green peacer's over in maui -- ( just kidding ) lol

h2oedits
05-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Hey, Lucky...No, no Greenpeace influence here on Maui...actually, it's a pretty "live and let live" kind of place.
On the personal side, I am AGAINST licensing... I have more of a "personal accountability" kind of mindset. Hell, I turned 50 and I'm sounding more and more like a Republican, but on the PERSONAL side I recoil at MORE government intervention in my life -- to me, the freedom of boating is the best part of it, and it represents just the opposite. Mandatory licensing would definitely contaminate that feeling.
On the flipside, I am for mandatory boating classes for anyone who buys or drives a boat. I've been boating awhile, but a few years ago was coerced into taking one of the USCG courses (with Stewart Thomas, who was excellent), and really found out how much I DIDN'T know...I can definitely see how the class would benefit the first-timers who really DON'T know what to do in certain situations. As so many of you have pointed out, it is all about common sense...but there are also established rules of the road, that would definitely prevent accidents if EVERYONE know and adhered to them...Just my personal opinions! Some of what I've learned has really come into play when I've boated in unfamiliar waterways, etc.
Thanks for all the GREAT POSTS on both sides! Some excellent points all around. The July issue will feature a story on this topic, along with some of your input...
Kevin

Not So Fast
05-05-2005, 04:27 PM
I,d say just a mandatory boating safety course,then you get a sticker like a registration sticker that goes by your CA or Az #'s.Then the cops can sort through and site and throw off the water anybody who is not serious enough to take a boating safety course for the benifit of thenselves and everyone around them,Maybe have to renew it every couple of years.Boat drivers license is taking it a bit overboard. :D Anyone can get a license or drive without one atleast with a sticker it's easily visible in plain sight that you've done the course.What would they do,pull everyone over and check for a drivers license?
I agree with Shadow on this, it is much better and more realistic than 'A Drivers License" NSF

chub
05-05-2005, 06:02 PM
NO LAWS PROTECT GOOFBALLS FROM DOING STUPID STUFF.
COMMON SENSE HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH BOATING SAFETY. :mad: :mad:
Motor vehicles are licensed for the monetary issues. As soon as I figure out a way to "asess(sp) fees on your and everyone elses arse I will. Think about it Government making everyone pay you for some stupid BS. DMV fees are supposed to pay for highways. The roads suck in HB.

jlnorthrup122
05-05-2005, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE]It wasn't too hard, but the average yahoo off the street who has never been around boats and didn't study probably wouldn't pass. I don't think it was that big of deal, but I'm sure in the middle of summer there are a good number of folks who drive without it like they are visiting a friend and take the boat out. It just equals another ticket if you caught and you probably got pulled over for something else that makes you stick out (like last week when I got focked with for going 70 on 50mph limited lake.)QUOTE]
See this is what we are talking about when we say give them an inch they will take a mile No licensing why should I have to deal with the governments bullshit as a result of some other dumbshits idiosy?? My end of the deal is I do not posess a Drivers license for a motor vehichle and will not have one for a year and I know that if this licensing boat crap goes into affect the suspended drivers license issue will keep people from beeing able to obtain a Vessel license!! this is bullshit that you want the government to step into the picture more than they already are! Your Licensing fees and payed citations on the Vessel licensing will fund more cops on the waters with you!! So that means less fun, Less fun, Less fun!!! Hell as it is Ranger dick waits outside the cove waiting for titties to pop out or whatnot so he can rain on the parade! :yuk: :220v: So go ahead and take the pleasure out of our hobby! Ranger dick will never stop me from running the waters!! they can't patrol all the waters out there there will be an underground as a rusult of this and you will see more problems due to people moving to hazardouse waters!!

shueman
05-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Canada requires certification. Take the test HERE (http://www.safeboater.com/)
32 States offer On-Line Safety Courses/Certification HERE (http://www.boat-ed.com/)
Be PRO-ACTIVE, not RE-ACTIVE....

lucky
05-06-2005, 06:25 AM
Hey, Lucky...No, no Greenpeace influence here on Maui...actually, it's a pretty "live and let live" kind of place.
On the personal side, I am AGAINST licensing... I have more of a "personal accountability" kind of mindset. Hell, I turned 50 and I'm sounding more and more like a Republican, but on the PERSONAL side I recoil at MORE government intervention in my life -- to me, the freedom of boating is the best part of it, and it represents just the opposite. Mandatory licensing would definitely contaminate that feeling.
On the flipside, I am for mandatory boating classes for anyone who buys or drives a boat. I've been boating awhile, but a few years ago was coerced into taking one of the USCG courses (with Stewart Thomas, who was excellent), and really found out how much I DIDN'T know...I can definitely see how the class would benefit the first-timers who really DON'T know what to do in certain situations. As so many of you have pointed out, it is all about common sense...but there are also established rules of the road, that would definitely prevent accidents if EVERYONE know and adhered to them...Just my personal opinions! Some of what I've learned has really come into play when I've boated in unfamiliar waterways, etc.
Thanks for all the GREAT POSTS on both sides! Some excellent points all around. The July issue will feature a story on this topic, along with some of your input...
Kevin :yuk: :smile: you do a great job ! and hb is a good mag ! we love you man -- ps - taking my new family to wiskey town for there first time in june -- I love that lake

Essex502
05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I personally am against licensing for cars too, It obviously (to anyone in southern California) does no good making people better drivers.
Just lke on the So Cal roads, the problem is that people know how to drive, yet they are too stupid do do so efficiently. I honestly believe that the roads would not be any worse if we let anyone over age 16 drive.
The real solution is to kill stupid people. :eek: :hammerhea :eat:
BJH
CH...
What licensing does provide is a rudimentary method to test for the knowledge/skills of the person requesting a license. It also provides a method of punishment for operating outside of the law - that being not having a license. Confiscation of the vehicle/vessel if the driver is found to be operating the vessel without a license. Draconian measures? Maybe. But, the ability for anyone with enough money to go out and acquire a vessel or vehicle that they can't control is making it dangerous for those of us that can control our rides. Some owners might be a little more leery of the consequences if they could lose their investment in the ride. Today, any yahoo can be out there.

CrazyHippy
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
CH...
What licensing does provide is a rudimentary method to test for the knowledge/skills of the person requesting a license. It also provides a method of punishment for operating outside of the law - that being not having a license. Confiscation of the vehicle/vessel if the driver is found to be operating the vessel without a license. Draconian measures? Maybe. But, the ability for anyone with enough money to go out and acquire a vessel or vehicle that they can't control is making it dangerous for those of us that can control our rides. Some owners might be a little more leery of the consequences if they could lose their investment in the ride. Today, any yahoo can be out there.
I agree that a license is most useful as a method of punishment.
I dont agree that provides a method of testing for skills (knowledge yes). Once again i defer you to the roads of southern california. The vast majority of the people on the roads have licenses, yet can't drive. (I attribute most of it too lack of oxygen in their rectum)
BJH

h2oedits
05-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey, Lucky...Have you stopped at Jack's for dinner? If not, it's right downtown in "old" Redding...a "must go." Whiskeytown is one of the few things I miss about CA!
Kevin

rivercrazy
05-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I am strontly against licenses for boats. Keep the Gov't out of my face.
What's next? Licenses to take a piss, have a kid, walk down the street?
Were taxed, fee'd, licensed, tracked, legislated, etc more than enough already....

sidewound
05-06-2005, 05:46 PM
I am strontly against licenses for boats. Keep the Gov't out of my face.
What's next? Licenses to take a piss, have a kid, walk down the street?
Were taxed, fee'd, licensed, tracked, legislated, etc more than enough already....
I agree with your opinion. If you look earlier in this thread I had a lot to say about the issue. I posted an overnight poll and the answers came back 2 to 1 in favor of liscensing. Seems the majority of the people that night wanted more government in their lives. Don't understand it. Just reporting it.
CESAR

Kim Hanson
05-07-2005, 10:54 AM
So I am to assume that you will run 90 mph with kids in your boat as long as they have on lifejackets? :boxed: :boxed: :boxed:
Seeing as how it's "Not that fast".
I agree YOU need more government regulation if that is the case.
Go get your lisence. :hammerhea
CESAR
I follow the laws on water and I do have a license to prove it and my kids are 16,18 and 20 and I think they know that I run my boat with due care and attention! Last I seen there wasn't no posted speed limit on the water..except " No Wake Zones "!
I need to ask, do you have a boating license? :) .......( . )( . )......

HCS
05-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Think about it. If you have to have a license insurance rates will go up!
They won't go down. I will cause more regulation which will translate into higher insurance rates. Guaranteed.

sidewound
05-07-2005, 12:36 PM
I need to ask, do you have a boating license? :) .......( . )( . )......
No, no license. We don't have them here. I do run the local excursion boat here from time to time and am a licensed pilot. Does that count? :smile:
CESAR

Essex502
05-07-2005, 12:52 PM
I agree that a license is most useful as a method of punishment.
I dont agree that provides a method of testing for skills (knowledge yes). Once again i defer you to the roads of southern california. The vast majority of the people on the roads have licenses, yet can't drive. (I attribute most of it too lack of oxygen in their rectum)
BJH
Are you claiming that the "vast majority" can't drive in SoCal. I beg to differ. We probably have several million on the road at any one time during a typical day and when you look at the statistics any insignificant number are actually involved in traffic collisions. While a collision cannot determine whether or not the people who don't collide, anecdotal evidence suggests they are able to drive adequately enough to NOT be involved in a collision. The dangerous ones are those that are distracted and impaired drivers. Same a those on the water.
Are you also saying that motor vehicle in vehicle driver's tests don't show a level od skill? I personally think stricter in vehicle testing is also called for - especially as drivers age. Every year for some would not be too frequent.
Yes, personal freedoms are in question when discussing licensing but that is the case with a society. We have licensing for drivers, cosmetoligists, barbers, physicians, engineers (PE), pilots, etc...all necessary. Why not boats?

HCS
05-07-2005, 01:53 PM
No license for boats. All they need to do is require a boating safety course.
That way you don't have all that tax revenue and license fees that states are going to slam you with. Once you need a license to drive a boat all kinds of tax revenues will come into play. You can bet on it.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Part of me deals with idiotic drivers of boats (and MORE idiots driving PWC's) and would like to see them tested for lisences. Then the smarter part of me looks at the drivers arround me here in cars and realizes what a failure it would be. I gotta back up BJH now.......... I think a near-majority ARE lousy drivers. Just most are lucky enough to not cause a problem very often. No better here in Kansas than in SoCali.
Nope, I'm against lisencing. I don't want any more gvt regulation of my life, too d##n much already. I WOULD be for a mandatory safety course perhaps.

Kim Hanson
05-08-2005, 09:17 AM
No, no license. We don't have them here. I do run the local excursion boat here from time to time and am a licensed pilot. Does that count? :smile:
CESAR
So you have a license to drive a car and one to pilot a plane, wouldn't one to drive a boat make sence then? I go to the same Lake on a regular basis and its not the 30-40 age group thats the problem, its the 16-26 that are the screw ups ( wake boarding in the dark with tunes just blasting away )!
I use to love it when the Lake had a sherif that would kick off people that was doing stupid shit like going the wrong way, doing tricks with waterlice close to swimming areas, letting kids drive those pieces of shit ( water lice )!
Alot of people think they own it and they can do with it what they want, letting kids born after 1980 drive it is illegal here! You still see it and its all to do with some block head parents that let them go out and let her rip on one of those waterlice ( as you can see, I HATE WATER LICE )......( . )( . )........
I think a boating course with a license would work for alot of people, also some knowledge at the launch area. That is one place that I just love to watch, way to funny watching people back up boats that they just got is a keeper everytime and backing the trailer over the cement pad and ripping of the axle is way too funny. Im starting to ramble on now, peace out Ceaser :chi:

Wicky
05-08-2005, 09:19 AM
BJH sees the writing on the wall.
Essex wants an increase in taxes.
Do you work for the county, city, or state Essex?
Or, do you own your own business?
I have to be licensed in my business. Last time I had an inspection, the fu.cking F.D.A. inspector pulls into my factory with a rented Lincoln Continental.
He shows up late on a Friday just as our production is ending. He gets paid for the whole day.
Well, guess what? He has to come back on Saturday. Saturday=overtime.
Overtime means taxpayers money.
A rented Lincoln Continental on tax payers money? I don't even want to go there.
I guess it was the golf clubs in his trunk that really pissed me off. He probably had a lesson with Shockwave Bob on taxpayers money. Now we know why Shockwave Bob is a DEMOCRAP!!
Fu.ck any new licenses. Licenses are part of the beaurocratic system.
Fu.ck the beaurocrats.
I cant stand most politicians. They're all LIARS. Sheep if you will.
Kerry was an idoit. Bush aint doing too much better. I've voted Republican my whole life but, now I have given my support to the Libertarian party.
Anytime there is less govt in my life the more freedom I have.
Politicians and Lawyers...two jobs where you get paid well to lie like a dog!!!

Kim Hanson
05-08-2005, 09:26 AM
I have to be licensed in my business. Last time I had an inspection, the fu.cking F.D.A. inspector pulls into my factory with a rented Lincoln Continental.
He shows up late on a Friday just as our production is ending. He gets paid for the whole day.
A rented Lincoln Continental on tax payers money? I don't even want to go there.
I guess it was the golf clubs in his trunk that really pissed me off. He probably had a lesson with Shockwave Bob on taxpayers money. Now we know why Shockwave Bob is a DEMOCRAP!!
Fu.ck the beaurocrats.
Kerry was an idoit. Bush aint doing too much better. I've voted Republican my whole life but, now I have given my support to the Libertarian party.
So Wicky, do you have to get a license to fish for sushi?.....( . )( . )........Im just bugging ya :p

Wicky
05-08-2005, 09:37 AM
So Wicky, do you have to get a license to fish for sushi?.....( . )( . )........Im just bugging ya :p
As a matter of fact, yes. I caught over 4000lbs of Ahi, Wahoo, and Yellowtail(hamachi) last Nov. about 300 miles off the tip of Cabo. It was a Mexican license.

Blown 472
05-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Fu.ck the beaurocrats.
Wow, Wicky too bad there aren't more that think like you, but that would require them to turn off the tv and think for themselves.

jlnorthrup122
05-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Origianlly posted by Blown 472:
Wow, Wicky too bad there aren't more that think like you, but that would require them to turn off the tv and think for themselves.
Or just for the forking drones to pull their heads out of there asses! I'd like to see there point of veiws but I can't get my head up my ass that far!

Wicky
05-08-2005, 06:21 PM
I just read what I wrote and I like it better now than when I wrote it!!!!!!
Mow,
Wicky

lucky
05-09-2005, 05:59 AM
Hey, Lucky...Have you stopped at Jack's for dinner? If not, it's right downtown in "old" Redding...a "must go." Whiskeytown is one of the few things I miss about CA!
Kevin
next time your in redding e mail me - and i'll point you in the direction of some history - ( a boat ) built for Dan BLOCker ( Hoss ) neat ol 24 cruiser -with a wooden trailer -- yes a wooden trailer

Essex502
05-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Nope. Just think that reality is a concept you haven't absorbed yet.

Wicky
05-09-2005, 07:15 AM
Nope. Just think that reality is a concept you haven't absorbed yet.
You're right Essex. Being pragmatic isn't my forte'. Baaa Baaa. At least I'm not one of the sheep like you are!!! The hypocritical party was looking for a leader. I nominate you!!!!
Cheers,
Wicky

Essex502
05-09-2005, 08:18 AM
You're right Essex. Being pragmatic isn't my forte'. Baaa Baaa. At least I'm not one of the sheep like you are!!! The hypocritical party was looking for a leader. I nominate you!!!!
Cheers,
Wicky
You're such an ass.

Wicky
05-09-2005, 10:40 AM
You're such an ass.
At least I'm not a HYPOCRITE like you!!!! Baaaaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaa!!!!

Essex502
05-09-2005, 10:43 AM
At least I'm not a HYPOCRITE like you!!!! Baaaaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaa!!!!
Where does hypocrite factor into this discussion? Children....sheesh.

Wicky
05-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Where does hypocrite factor into this discussion? Children....sheesh
If we, as the boating public, get involved early enough in the legislative process just maybe we can shape the regulation so that it isn't so restrictive as to be burdensome to us..
Dude your statement right there puts you in lala land!!!!
No matter what shape it is it is REGULATED!!! Without administration there is no REGULATION!!! Regulation+administration=MONEY!! How about you pay for everybody else who doesn't want regulation. I think that would be fair. I would be happy to get a license then.
I pay enough taxes already. I'm sick and tired of more regulation.
As you stated before,Yes, personal freedoms are in question when discussing licensing but, that is the case with a society. We have licensing for drivers, cosmetoligists, barbers, physicians, engineers (PE), pilots, etc...all necessary. Why not boats?
If you live in America and you believe in freedom, yet you believe in licensing all of the above...you my friend, deep down inside, are a hypocrite.
Cheers Grandpa!!!!
Wicky

Essex502
05-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Dude your statement right there puts you in lala land!!!!
No matter what shape it is it is REGULATED!!! Without administration there is no REGULATION!!! Regulation+administration=MONEY!! How about you pay for everybody else who doesn't want regulation. I think that would be fair. I would be happy to get a license then.
I pay enough taxes already. I'm sick and tired of more regulation.
As you stated before,Yes, personal freedoms are in question when discussing licensing but, that is the case with a society. We have licensing for drivers, cosmetoligists, barbers, physicians, engineers (PE), pilots, etc...all necessary. Why not boats?
If you live in America and you believe in freedom, yet you believe in licensing all of the above...you my friend, deep down inside, are a hypocrite.
Cheers Grandpa!!!!
Wicky
Geez, that is some flawed logic. The world is in tough times when your generation starts running things.

Wicky
05-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Geez, that is some flawed logic. The world is in tough times when your generation starts running things.
Of course it will be. Let's start with social security. Something I'm sure you thought was a great idea being the scholar that you are. Hah, another prime example of great govt regulation that you speak so highly of Essex502!!!
If you're not a democrat Essex502, I don't know who would fit the mold better. At least Shockwave Bob admits it!!
tudaloo,
Wicky

Wicky
05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Lets see, a license to cut hair....hmmmmmm that's not flawed logic!!!!

Wicky
05-09-2005, 11:29 AM
License for my gun.
License for my dog.
License for my bike.
License for my barber.
License to fish.
License to hunt.
License for my business.
License for my car.
License for me.
License for my boat.
License for my business.
License for my scuba gear.
License for my Hamm radio.
There is a license for everything or so it seems.

Essex502
05-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Of course it will be. Let's start with social security. Something I'm sure you thought was a great idea being the scholar that you are. Hah, another prime example of great govt regulation that you speak so highly of Essex502!!!
If you're not a democrat Essex502, I don't know who would fit the mold better. At least Shockwave Bob admits it!!
tudaloo,
Wicky
Wicky you are not just an ass but a complete ass. You make up facts or supposed facts as you go along. I never spoke of "great government regulation" but all societies regulate themselves or anarchy prevails. You are an anarchist and below in Idaho the land of anarchists.

Wicky
05-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Wicky you are not just an ass but a complete ass. You make up facts or supposed facts as you go along. I never spoke of "great government regulation" but all societies regulate themselves or anarchy prevails. You are an anarchist and below in Idaho the land of anarchists.
A license to cut hair? It's a good thing there are anarchists because Socialism seems to be your theory!!!

Wicky
05-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Oh what did I make up btw? That you are a HYPOCRITE!!!!! You seem to be fine with all licensing.
I hate democrats. They think they are always right!! Hypocritical, too.

Wicky
05-09-2005, 12:07 PM
You don't have to speak of "great govt regulation." Your beliefs depict that.

Wicky
05-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Anarchy or not, all societies be that democratic, monarchy, socialist, etc etc. have ALL failed in the history of the world. Study up Gramps.
Wicky

Essex502
05-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Anarchy or not, all societies be that democratic, monarchy, socialist, etc etc. have ALL failed in the history of the world. Study up Gramps.
Wicky
I have studied more and forgotten more than your snot-nosed little shiat brain can handle. All societies have not failed. Look around. Many societies are still in progress.

Wicky
05-09-2005, 12:28 PM
If you see kay, your so smart!!! Pass me a kleenex please. I have a booger snot. I guess the word History means present.

CrazyHippy
05-09-2005, 12:43 PM
You gentlemen are getting a bit off subject here....
BJH

Wicky
05-09-2005, 12:50 PM
You gentlemen are getting a bit off subject here....
BJH
I resent that comment. I'm no gentleman!!! :wink: I'm an anarchist!!

Jrocket
05-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Wicky I see you have a few more people that love you...! LOL

Debbolas
05-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Yes,
I think if you have to be licensed to drive a car, you should be licensed to drive a boat and ESPECIALLY PWC's!!! :2purples: Everyone and their brother lets perfect newbies to the river drive their wave runners without even a refresher course.
I think Boat Drivers Licenses would cut down on boat & PWC accidents. If you care enough to spend $60,000 plus on your boat, or even polish your weed wacker with a diaper every weekend..... if you care about your family and others, you should take a course and receive a drivers license.....
I also think (and boy is this going to make me unpopular) I don't think you should be allowed to drink and drive your boat. I think if they find you drinking and driving your boat (or car, or PWC) they should impound your boat (or car or PWC).
Just makes sense to me :wink:
Oh, and before you wax poetic about the good old days, when you could drive your boat and drink without a license, think about the sheer number of people on our lakes and rivers today....It's just not safe anymore, really....

hotlavey
05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
There are plenty of idiot drivers on the roads everyday. 90% have drivers licenses.
While a drivers license sounds nice on paper to the public and the powers that be, I wonder what REAL good it would do, but of course develop revenue for the government.
Brian
True, there are alot of idiot drivers with licenses on the roads, but don't you wonder what it would be like if no license was required? Total mayhem I bet. I am all for boat owners/drivers being required to have a license as well as a little training. Might save me a huge repair bill someday(Or my life).

Wicky
05-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Wicky I see you have a few more people that love you...! LOL
Damn your observant!!!! ARe you taking notes?

Wicky
05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
True, there are alot of idiot drivers with licenses on the roads, but don't you wonder what it would be like if no license was required? Total mayhem I bet. I am all for boat owners/drivers being required to have a license as well as a little training. Might save me a huge repair bill someday(Or my life).
Yes, I do wonder what it would be like if no license was required. :eat:

Wicky
05-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Yes,
I think if you have to be licensed to drive a car, you should be licensed to drive a boat and ESPECIALLY PWC's!!! :2purples: Everyone and their brother lets perfect newbies to the river drive their wave runners without even a refresher course.
I think Boat Drivers Licenses would cut down on boat & PWC accidents. If you care enough to spend $60,000 plus on your boat, or even polish your weed wacker with a diaper every weekend..... if you care about your family and others, you should take a course and receive a drivers license.....
I also think (and boy is this going to make me unpopular) I don't think you should be allowed to drink and drive your boat. I think if they find you drinking and driving your boat (or car, or PWC) they should impound your boat (or car or PWC).
Just makes sense to me :wink:
Oh, and before you wax poetic about the good old days, when you could drive your boat and drink without a license, think about the sheer number of people on our lakes and rivers today....It's just not safe anymore, really....
Aren't you a Capricorn?

Jrocket
05-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Damn your observant!!!! ARe you taking notes?
No time for notes,plus I get a good laugh out of it.Its an internet and these are only words,Im not too worried.

Ultrafied
05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Wicky
Wicky .... define fail ....

sidewound
05-09-2005, 08:30 PM
So you have a license to drive a car and one to pilot a plane, wouldn't one to drive a boat make sence then? I go to the same Lake on a regular basis and its not the 30-40 age group thats the problem, its the 16-26 that are the screw ups ( wake boarding in the dark with tunes just blasting away )!
No Hanson I have a lisence to pilot the excursion boat........Not airplanes. I agree with you that the younger people are probably a good portion of the people that piis ya off.
I think a boating course with a license would work for alot of people, also some knowledge at the launch area. peace out Ceaser :chi:Thanks for the peace out! :D
I think until we can get the DNR and other law enforcement agencies that govern our waterways to enforce the laws we ALREADY have it would be worthless to add another item onto the adgenda. A mandatory safty course for new boat owners seems like a good idea and could easily be implimented without involving law enforcement. Required it for first time boat owners to register a boat etc. I just don't like the idea of giving the government any more control over my life than the copious quantity that they already enjoy.
Hey I hate lake lice if they are causing trouble too Bro... (.).. (.).. :D
CESAR

Scream
05-09-2005, 09:47 PM
If licensing becomes a reality it will be a state government issue only, but as we've seen many times before, the hastle comes when we've got multi agency jurisdictions like Havasu, and most of the Colorado River system. If California required some sort of licensing for watercraft regardless of the residency of the driver, then you would effectively require licenses on the Colorado from the Nevada State line to Mexico, including parts of Arizona because of it's jurisdictional overlap.
I don't see licensing working well, but a boater safety course could be helpfull, for owners and renters alike. Require rental companies to show a video on boating safety and etiquite before the riders are allowed out and see if that little bit of instruction does anything to improve the boneheadedness that most pwc renters and boat renters show when on the water.
Let's face it. Boat defensively and CYA. You need to watch out for number 1.

jlnorthrup122
05-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Scream:
If licensing becomes a reality it will be a state government issue only, but as we've seen many times before, the hastle comes when we've got multi agency jurisdictions like Havasu, and most of the Colorado River system. If California required some sort of licensing for watercraft regardless of the residency of the driver, then you would effectively require licenses on the Colorado from the Nevada State line to Mexico, including parts of Arizona because of it's jurisdictional overlap.
I don't see licensing working well, but a boater safety course could be helpfull, for owners and renters alike. Require rental companies to show a video on boating safety and etiquite before the riders are allowed out and see if that little bit of instruction does anything to improve the boneheadedness that most pwc renters and boat renters show when on the water.
Let's face it. Boat defensively and CYA. You need to watch out for number 1.
Now that makes scense to me! That is how they handle hunting licenses and they are walking around with guns and this is all they need and it seems to be working! I think that guns are much more dangerouse than boats you know!

Kim Hanson
05-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Now that makes scense to me! That is how they handle hunting licenses and they are walking around with guns and this is all they need and it seems to be working! I think that guns are much more dangerouse than boats you know!
I don't hunt animals, its cruel to me to go kill a defenceless animal when you can buy meat at a store..Get a license and be normal on the water .... k! :wink: .......( . )( . )......

LOWRIVER2
05-12-2005, 06:56 AM
H20 Edits,
Just wondering if you were at that meeting in Fl. where members of the Boat mfg.'s, insurance carriers and poker run promoters had a round table on the insurance issue.
I attended the Eliminator regatta this weekend. The article on escalating insurance rates was listed in the Eliminator boats magazine. Some very interesting reading for sure. If someone has the article to post here, I think it would be good reading for everyone.
As you know, the insurance issue is really hitting the high end boats, especially the big cats. Per this article, the insurance co.'s are all about numbers. They don't hate big, fast boats, it is simply the majority of claims are coming from that class of boats which, in turn, makes them lose the profit from their premiums. If a co. loses money on one end (claims), it's gonna make it up somewhere else (new contracts). Obviously, the boat builders are scared since they will have less buyers if no one will insure a particular type of boat. One product of the round table was to have an affordable, PRIVATE co. handle safe boating courses which would be sponsored by the insurance companies. This would start the process of creating a BASELINE for all boat operators who wish to insure their boats. The next issue was creating a certification for high performance boats, similar to certification for flying bigger, higher HP planes. While many might be against this, these steps are both NON GOVERNMENT but promote SAFE BOATING.
Let's get real: I would never jump into a DUAL ENGINE plane with no training after only being trained in a single engine cessna. Yes, many here have jumped from a small jet boat into a double engine, 28 ft. plus /100mph+ offshore boat, but times are changing and too many untrained newbies are operating boats above and beyond their capabilities.
Those of us with smaller, slower boats are'nt feeling the squeeze of insurance carriers. The majority of folks here with the big Havi zoo boats however, are going to feel the pinch of increasing insurance rates sooner than later.
IMHO, it's either going to be boaters and insurance co.'s working together to solve this issue of increased accidents/mishaps or the govt. will step in and create speed limits, driver's licenses and more.
In other words, POLICE YOURSELVES!

Debbolas
05-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Aren't you a Capricorn?
Maybe........................... :p

sneauxcone
05-14-2005, 05:38 AM
My expert opinion: I'm all for a mandatory safety course and boat license. I grew up around boats in Louisiana and took two safety courses before purchase of my first in CA. What scares is the yahoo's that can afford a 60k boat with no prior experience or training course. Also if the regulation keeps some of the low-life dirt bags out (PWC) then I'm all for it. While we're on the license topic I"m also up for extensive driver ed training like they do in Germany/Euroland. Teach the kids skid control, left lane to pass, etc. Our drivers test is a joke. Any 3rd world degenerate can pass it. Si.

Jrocket
05-15-2005, 09:21 AM
While we're on the license topic I"m also up for extensive driver ed training like they do in Germany/Euroland. Teach the kids skid control, left lane to pass, etc. Our drivers test is a joke. Any 3rd world degenerate can pass it. Si.
And who would be paying for this,the people that apply for a license?

Kim Hanson
05-15-2005, 08:13 PM
And who would be paying for this,the people that apply for a license?
Well duh! That killed me JRocket.............( . )( . )........ :D

Sanger D
05-16-2005, 07:01 AM
parents done brought you up wrong!!! ............one word proffessors,..................ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!!! !make the PENALTIES of existing laws WAYYY stiffer,under 18 then the parents are fully prosicuted for their childs actions ,if adult!!,then the laws should be so danm stiff that NOONE will ever think of F#@!@kin up ( since all you people are such great boaters) you wont have to worry ,but the renters and newbies will be warned and then held accountable for their actions.renters should pay for and be responsible for their renting parties awareness training and have a diff. insurance pol.if you violate the laws then you should pay the FULL price!!!!EVERYONE should be accountable for what they do!!! I,m tired of baby sitting your kids and fu&^%$kin society,if your minor is under the influence and driving ANYTHING, YOU take the full punishment!!!and it should be MANDITORY jail time, for you and your off spring!!.Accidents?, then who ever is at fault takes full respons,and pays!! let the court system figure it out, if you don,t trust the judicial system then YOU better not F*&^K up huh!!!See
, already your thinking "NO WAY MAN " thats how it works,NO MORE baby sitting and not worring cause the insur. and some one else will pay the bill,YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE!!!!!!

what at pair
05-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Got an 80' carlson/glastron CV-23 daycruiser very few around insurance won't even talk to me about it ,TO OLD sheit so am I and I have Insurance on me.Can't get a license for boating anyway without paying the reaper for some coverage.Anybody got some co's who deal with old hot rods?Props to those keeping the suds out of the driver side :2purples:

$pit-laser
05-17-2005, 11:01 AM
[Anybody got some co's who deal with old hot rods?
Yes, Foremost (through Farmers) insured my old 1976 Marlin Libra for $30,000. I had to provide receipts for everything I restored and upgraded. It was around $600.00 a year.
As far as licensing I am not opposed to it but feel that manditory boating safety classes which in effect would be a license would be the most effective way of making our water ways safer.

Kim Hanson
05-23-2005, 12:42 PM
[Anybody got some co's who deal with old hot rods?
Yes, Foremost (through Farmers) insured my old 1976 Marlin Libra for $30,000. I had to provide receipts for everything I restored and upgraded. It was around $600.00 a year.
As far as licensing I am not opposed to it but feel that manditory boating safety classes which in effect would be a license would be the most effective way of making our water ways safer.
Off subject here, but would you have a picture of that Marlin handy?....( . )( . )........ :notam: I really would like to see it :cool:

$pit-laser
05-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Off subject here, but would you have a picture of that Marlin handy?....( . )( . )........ :notam: I really would like to see it :cool:
Not here on my work computer but I will post a couple tomorrow.

Kim Hanson
05-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Not here on my work computer but I will post a couple tomorrow.
Thats alot, I found out I have a Marlin Raceboat and would like to see if it looks the same :cool: .........( . )( . )............

olbiezer
06-14-2005, 08:33 PM
all the government would do with boat licencing is use the cash for more cops so they can issue more tickets to keep there program alive of gettting more cops out there like state troopers! worthless extenction of the tax collectors office. they go 120 to catch u doing 5 mph over the speed limit. whos really doing worse? i go drinking with a cop alot all he does is flash his badge at road blocks and we go through drunk or not. safe boatting courses are prob alot better then a boat license

Throttle
06-18-2005, 01:18 PM
What good will a sticker do on a PWC when they exchange drivers throughout the day?

jstwkd
06-18-2005, 02:47 PM
I dont know why anyone would think a license would make it safer.We have motorcycle licenses and automobile laicenses.And I feel terriblly safe because of them.
People still drink and drive,still speed,drive wrecklessly,etc.....The license isnt going to help. Getting some knowlegde to the indaviduals who have NO experience might.But the sad fact is people.Mianly younger the crowd have NO respect.And its our own falt for the lack of parenting.Kids get away with way more crap then ever before.
I agree people should have to learn boating in one way or another but I dont see how getting the goverment involved is going to help.
I dont need a license to take me dirt bike off road,But yet you get tones of new riders every year.with no idea what the are doing.
I wonder how many UNLICENSED drivers are on the road today???? so in order to uphold this new law(licensing for boating)Do you really think there are enough cops on the water to enforce this?NO so that 25.00 evey couple of years isnt going to do crap.They will need more cops more boats.etc.....
who the hell do you think s going to pay for it? Fu% they cant stop drinking and driving,driving with no license,dpeeding,not stopping att he stop light,etc,etc,etc,...........they cost money and have crappy attitudes.........Ya i want to see more of them.
Sorry i dont see how a LICENSE is going to fix the problem..............
I agree thought something shoould be started to help the cause.I would rather send my money to a none goverment agiency that can get the information out there.I think a sticker would suffice.which obviously i woulh pay for.
At this point we might as well put up traffic lights and commuter lanes.I think the problem lyes in the boating industries and comunnity.
Boat rentals will be none existint unless you has a traning course.What exactly is an hour going to do for me and safety.......
PWC are the most unsafe buch of Fu%^s i have ever come accorss.I have been boating since I was a little boy with my family...I have never seen a cop stop anyone for anything except making a wake in the no wake zone.......and to give them a test for a BUI...........and I have only seen one actually removed from his boat.sorry got a tad carried away!
Sorry i dont think a license is the answer.
Keep the goverment out of it.......................PERIOD!

v-drive
06-26-2005, 06:09 AM
Just my 2¢
I don't think you mean licensing but rather coast guard classes. A license for driving a boat, now that theres funny.
Now for the parallel parking part of the test :cool: v-drive

Kim Hanson
06-27-2005, 06:01 PM
I dont know why anyone would think a license would make it safer.We have motorcycle licenses and automobile laicenses.And I feel terriblly safe because of them.
People still drink and drive,still speed,drive wrecklessly,etc.....The license isnt going to help. Getting some knowlegde to the indaviduals who have NO experience might.But the sad fact is people.Mianly younger the crowd have NO respect.And its our own falt for the lack of parenting.Kids get away with way more crap then ever before.
I agree people should have to learn boating in one way or another but I dont see how getting the goverment involved is going to help.
I dont need a license to take me dirt bike off road,But yet you get tones of new riders every year.with no idea what the are doing.
I wonder how many UNLICENSED drivers are on the road today???? so in order to uphold this new law(licensing for boating)Do you really think there are enough cops on the water to enforce this?NO so that 25.00 evey couple of years isnt going to do crap.They will need more cops more boats.etc.....
who the hell do you think s going to pay for it? Fu% they cant stop drinking and driving,driving with no license,dpeeding,not stopping att he stop light,etc,etc,etc,...........they cost money and have crappy attitudes.........Ya i want to see more of them.
Sorry i dont see how a LICENSE is going to fix the problem..............
I agree thought something shoould be started to help the cause.I would rather send my money to a none goverment agiency that can get the information out there.I think a sticker would suffice.which obviously i woulh pay for.
At this point we might as well put up traffic lights and commuter lanes.I think the problem lyes in the boating industries and comunnity.
Boat rentals will be none existint unless you has a traning course.What exactly is an hour going to do for me and safety.......
PWC are the most unsafe buch of Fu%^s i have ever come accorss.I have been boating since I was a little boy with my family...I have never seen a cop stop anyone for anything except making a wake in the no wake zone.......and to give them a test for a BUI...........and I have only seen one actually removed from his boat.sorry got a tad carried away!
Sorry i dont think a license is the answer.
Keep the goverment out of it.......................PERIOD!
Up here, its the WaterLice that are retards and you can't drive them on the water if you were born after 1980...good law..these are the tards going every direction they can on the water that are causing weird laws!
I have seen new boaters with top of the line wakeboard boats doing the same shit, I was sitting on the bottom of a Lake due to a wakeboard boat coming in way to close to me and the waves sunk me so fast it was really amazing to see! Pissed OFF, yes! I cost me to date $ 1200.00 bucks because this idiot thought you could go the wrong way on a Lake that is small and that close!
I don't have dirtbikes ( kill myself ), don't have ( quads ) don't have snow machines ( kill myself ) I do run a rig that I need about 15 tickets to run it ..in case ,I kill someone its my ass on the line! That is why i say, if you have a licence to boat, you are held ass to the wall baby for anything that you did stupid ( smart thing)
Think of it as a Drivers Licence, without it and take out a family going to the Lake ( ass if going to be bigger when you get out of Jail )
I didn't need in Canada it till 2010 and I have had it it for 2 years now, what is the big focking deal..$50.00 bucks and done with! You have to pay for a drivers licence every so often, so what's the big deal?
I think some are just scared that they will flunk it....bottom line! end of this shit for me..........( . )( . )...... :notam:

Kim Hanson
06-27-2005, 06:05 PM
I don't think you mean licensing but rather coast guard classes. A license for driving a boat, now that theres funny.
Now for the parallel parking part of the test :cool: v-drive
I can parallel park a trailer queen , as long as it's on the trailer..( Home )...... :p .......( . )( . ).......

SnakeWrench
06-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Personally, I believe that there should be a licence that is mandatory by the gov't. I also believe that it should have classification, such as one type would be for a 17 to a 23, and a 24 to a 29, a 30 to a 36 and cat and v-bottom. Why? because there are to many people that can afford 100+ MPH boats and they have no idea how to control them in an emergency.

v-drive
06-28-2005, 03:09 AM
Personally, I believe that there should be a licence that is mandatory by the gov't. I also believe that it should have classification, such as one type would be for a 17 to a 23, and a 24 to a 29, a 30 to a 36 and cat and v-bottom. Why? because there are to many people that can afford 100+ MPH boats and they have no idea how to control them in an emergency.
Do you believe that they will teach people how to drive 100mph boats?
I don't think so the best you can hope for is to educate people some and to make them more aware.
The problem isn't that people can afford these boats, the problem is that they're allowed to buy them without a clue. If people took the time to read the coastguard pamphlet they would automatically be a better operator.
pay attention to the signs that's all you have to do.
Kim found something out the hard way but even he learned something i'm sure.
Before you can buy a boat you should be made to attend a coastguard class. I did mine when I was 16(long ass time ago) and am signed up to do another. :cool: outahere...v-drive

RUSHIN ROULETTE
06-28-2005, 03:36 PM
I would agree with V-Drive....Mandatory Coast Guard Class before you can even think about owning a boat. Maybe stiffer penalties for those who break the law....People might think twice if there was a chance that they could have their boat impounded for breaking the law.. :2purples:

cburr79
06-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Just my 2¢
You don't need a license for off-road vehicles!
Suppose next you want them to require wearing seatbelts on a boat!
Driving a car is apart of every day life and is far more dangerous than any other motor vehicle because the accidents a larger, usually involve more people and happen way too often. Even if people have to take a written test or boaters saftety they will not drive any different. Alcohol is the big problem on boats, so why punish the sober responsible people. Alcohol is banned on most lakes while on a motor boat or at least driving one, but people do it anyway, a license isn't going to change it. People are still going to drink and drive on the road no matter what you do, so why a license? It's all about the money, more fees, more regisatration, more tax. Thats all!

RiverOtter
07-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Bump! Oh :redface: this is a stickey

HCS
07-02-2005, 08:18 AM
:notam: :notam: :notam: :220v:

AlterEgo
07-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I have to admit that getting the DMV involved would be a mistake, however I am very in favor of at least a basic boating / knowledge certification of some sort. This alone I think would significantly improve the current madness.

EXTREMEBOATS
07-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Here in Florida we have the same kind of idiots, but, it has been proven time and time again that you CAN'T pass laws for stupid people. :cool:

maxwedge
07-08-2005, 12:58 AM
I am liscenced to drive a car, ride a motorcycle, and fly an airplane, even drive a friggin fork lift. Not one of those liscences makes me do it any better. I have operated all of them without that license on my person (illegal by the way) because I forgot it. At no time was I less safe because I had no liscense. The liscence dosn't mean jack. The only thing that means jack is training and experience. Turns out I didn't know crap about operating any of these things when I got my liscence. Niether do most people. Either I got further training or I learned by experience the hard way.
I challenge any untrained newly liscenced pilot to fly some low level aerobatics in a Pitts without dying. It's totally legal, all you need is a tailwheel endorsement from sombody else that's never done it but is liscenced to train you, and then you can go try it out if you want.
Maybe we should donate the MSF some new 150hp sportbikes to give away to the newly liscenced 16 year old motorcyclists and turn them loose in the canyons.
Pehaps we should let those newly state liscened boaters take Miss Budweiser around the course at speed for a few laps, after all they would be liscenced boaters, right? I've been driving boats for 25 years or more and I sure would like some more knowledge before I tried it. I wouldn't really give a crap one way or another if you gave me a liscence for it though.
I watched a forklift operator swing a 25' steel shipping crate through a wall and into a Pontiac Sunfire that was parked outside, after he drove into a steel pole he didn't see (I have to say, that was damn funny though). Fully liscenced by a state approved test just the day before.
All a liscence system does is create more needless expense and paperwork, and big ass lines at the DMV or DNR or whatever, as well as one more large pain in the ass, or a ticket if you happen to forget it or lose it. Add some fees or taxes to my boat registration or whatever to pay for it, but what we need is more training, education, and enforcement of the existing laws. Not a piece of laminated sh#t that is backed by a test any five year old dog could pass. And deep down, don't we all know thats what any gov't test would be?

Riverkid
07-08-2005, 06:41 AM
I'm not nearly as worried about "boaters" as I am about the PWC riders out there. When you've got to have an air horn in your lap to keep the river lice out from under the bow eye just to make a ski ride from dam to dam...
Most of the total a$$ riders out there are on a loaned ski, first time out, etc. etc. and they really haven't got a clue!
Just my $.02

jstwkd
07-10-2005, 09:05 AM
PWC..are just plane jacka$$'s.................Eveytime one ends up behing my boat I WILL stop and wait to see what they need.....PUNKS! No one yet has had the balls to come over!
A license isnt going to fix the problem....just look around you on the roads.Absolutely we should have a boating safety class BEFORE you get the boat. Make it a mandatory 2 year deal for ALL boaters.
I am not worried about passing....I just renwed my D.L. this past month and watched a guy FAIL....And then watched the person behind the counter(DMV)
help the guy with three of the answers......so he could pass...... :confused: Yep!.....License's are going to fix the problem..... :burningm:
The license isnt the actual problem..its bringing the government in and opening a whole other level of crap for them to start governing......It will be more than $50.00 dallors....It wont end up being just a simple license....
Part of the problem with boating know is the cops on the water rairly give out a citation....
Do you really think its going to change? Like I said before....take a look around on the road.....
I think we should look for other options....There is a huge problem!

shueman
07-10-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm not nearly as worried about "boaters" as I am about the PWC riders out there. When you've got to have an air horn in your lap to keep the river lice out from under the bow eye just to make a ski ride from dam to dam...
Most of the total a$$ riders out there are on a loaned ski, first time out, etc. etc. and they really haven't got a clue!
Just my $.02
Ditto that....!!!
We went to Elsinore early today to get in a lil skiing/wakeboarding. Things were perfect until around 10a. Most all the boats were considerate of others out there.
There were two guys on PWC's going THE WRONG WAY on the east side of the lake, PFD's hanging open, turning donuts, cutting close to our boat, etc.
JACK-HOLES...!!!

1BADBAHNER
07-13-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm walking the fence on this one, I do agree you should have an experienced person on a boat for safety. Maybe a safety course certificate when you pay to launch your boat. But not a drivers license, you (us) may make a mistake and the ticket goes on your (our) record. I am more afraid of the idiots out there with or without a license.
Quick story:
I was waiting for this guy to pick up his boat out of the water and I was waiting behind him, before he even got fully out of the water he gets out of his truck to check something (without putting it in park) and quess what happens. As his truck is rolling backwards his boat hit mine and he sank his truck in the water blocking the launching ramp. The trailer sank past the concrete ramp wedging the tires in the sand and the truck was just about floating in the water, we all had to wait until we could all help get him out. My point is you are out there with 50% of the people that know what they are doing and the "others" just watch out for them.

98 Vector 21
07-16-2005, 02:30 PM
It dosent have to be 3 years of nite school...it could be done in a way where you could spend one day or even several eveinings...

TANGO424
07-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I really dont think that licencing will work at all there are just too many idiots out there anyone can take a test and pass there is just no substitute for Common Sense wether is a 1 hp or 1000 hp boat notice i didnt say experiance ??? there are plenty of experianced auto drivers out there but you still see headlines in the news about how someone crashed into a bus stop or rolling over a car or a head on colision
as a boating community we should all be aware of our surroundings ,water conditions and other boats in the area
we should all be considerate of our fellow boaters give them plenty of room if they are slower than you or stopped in the water putting out a skiier slow down if you have to you wont get there any faster there will still be plenty of room at party cove,beach or whatever area we all party at
I do however think a boating saftey class of some sort would help wont cure the problem but it will help .there are alot of people who buy a boat who just dont know the rules of the road i.e. when over taking a slower boat what side to pass on the flow of boat traffic on the water or just the more common of raising a hand to a fellow boater in acknowledgement of hey I see you and him seeing you how many times on the water have you waived your hand at a fellow boater as you passed by eachother ??????
remember the only cure for this is to become more aware and just like auto driving drive defensivley the main thing is use Common Sense well thats just my opinion

Mr. Crusader 83
08-01-2005, 05:09 PM
:hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: I SAY IF YOU HAVE OWNED A BOAT FRO MORE THEN SO MANY X YEARS THEN YOU DONT NEED A LIC. BUT THEY SURE DO NEED TO MAKE THOSE MORONS THAT RENT SEA DOOS TAKE A CLASS.............. I LIKE AIMING FOR THEM WITH THE ROOST
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/1/11320crusader___sandbar2_003-med.jpg

GottaJet
08-02-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm going to have to go with the no's on this one.Regulation seems to lead to more regulation,which usually translates to more of my hard earned $$ money(taxes)being spent on shit I don't even want to think about. :mad: :mad: just my .02

eliminatedsprinter
08-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Safety training yes. Lic ??Oh he!! NO!!! :supp: Keep the dysfunctional DMV as out of our hobby as possible. :hammer2:

Kim Hanson
08-14-2005, 02:47 PM
:hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: I SAY IF YOU HAVE OWNED A BOAT FRO MORE THEN SO MANY X YEARS THEN YOU DONT NEED A LIC. BUT THEY SURE DO NEED TO MAKE THOSE MORONS THAT RENT SEA DOOS TAKE A CLASS.............. I LIKE AIMING FOR THEM WITH THE ROOST
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/1/11320crusader___sandbar2_003-med.jpg
I SAY IF YOU HAVE OWNED A BOAT FRO MORE THEN SO MANY X YEARS THEN YOU DONT NEED A LIC.
****ing please stop talking K...........( . )( . )..........
I LIKE AIMING FOR THEM WITH THE ROOST
You should take the class..........( . )( . )........... :idea:

Kim Hanson
08-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Safety training yes. Lic ??Oh he!! NO!!! :supp: Keep the dysfunctional DMV as out of our hobby as possible. :hammer2:
I sort of know you, whats the big thing about a license? Its really like the road ways use! Don't you need a license to drive...? I think it would make more people realize that driving a boat, isn't a given option, it would be a chore to get the license to acually drive it :idea:
I think that's why so many are against it....It sure don't make me a better driver, but it sure makes me look at the rest out there cruising with no idea..........to boating laws :notam: ......( . )( . )...........

HCS
08-16-2005, 09:36 PM
I sort of know you, whats the big thing about a license? Its really like the road ways use! Don't you need a license to drive...? I think it would make more people realize that driving a boat, isn't a given option, it would be a chore to get the license to acually drive it :idea:
I think that's why so many are against it....It sure don't make me a better driver, but it sure makes me look at the rest out there cruising with no idea..........to boating laws :notam: ......( . )( . )...........
You know how many people would crash their boats in the figure 8 course? :D
It's a recreational sport. No license needed. Except in Arizona. :220v:
And maybe in Italy where you need a helmet to ride a jet ski/wet bike.
I say kill the thread. This is beat to death. ***boat needs to update and dump this trash. :argue:

Kim Hanson
08-17-2005, 09:28 AM
You know how many people would crash their boats in the figure 8 course? :D
It's a recreational sport. No license needed. Except in Arizona. :220v:
And maybe in Italy where you need a helmet to ride a jet ski/wet bike.
I say kill the thread. This is beat to death. ***boat needs to update and dump this trash. :argue:
Its not a sport, its a life style HCS and I agree with killing this thread........( . )( . )......... :wink:

liquidasset
08-18-2005, 09:00 AM
This is a sticky situation . I'm definately not for more regulation ,but with some many of the water lice population buying boats. It would be nice knowing that they were trained to drive the right way, and not the way most them drive now.... :hammer2: :hammer2:

Mohave Vice
08-18-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm towards "less" government and regulation. However, if licensure will help prevent an accident and or loss of life. I'm for it. You have to remember there were days in California when you could ride a motorcycle with a normal license. More bikes on the road and more accidnts, led California to license motorcycle riders. Boat license is just around the corner. Best to everybody and be safe!!!!

Riverdog1
08-20-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm not quite sure, but I read somewhere the now required a valid DL to operate watercraft. Maybe not as a license but to observe a minimum age. If you can get a BWI (DUI) on the water the DMV treats it as if you got one driving your car and you lose your license to drive your car. I think it is closer than you all think. I know a while back there was no age requirements or drinking restrictions on the water but I think with the recent (or not that recent) growing popularity with lake lice and all the dumb a##es who operate them that the Old School ways of boating fell by the way side. People have no clue what the rules are and were (are) not required to know them. I almost Killed a lake lice a few years back in my jet boat. My steering tube locked up and she was zipping around by the 5 mph bouis and didn't see me. I could not have taken evasive action except to brace myself. She came about 1/2" from the bow of my boat at 40+ mph and didn't see me until she got that close. No clue, no respect for other boaters. We all know what the white flag means and a red flag. Now here comes a new generation of dumb A##es with the Ski Natiques and such. OK, Not all are, buth this boat attracts the novice boater with no clue what either of these flags mean. An example, I was stranded in the middle of the lake around dusk and 4 of these ski craft at one time or another ingored me. Now it got dark and some friends went out looking for me. Lucky me. I do think people should be required to learn the waterways, the rules, and the unwritten rules of common decency that us old schoolers grew up with. The lake would be a much safer, friendlier place if they did. I do not think it should be a license, but there are free courses every year and book is sent to your house with the rules as well when you register it. I think if the course is free, you should be required to take it, complete it, and show proof before you get your sticker and lakes enforce the sticker. I know I got booted off a lake because like a dumb a## I forgot to put it on.
Anyway, my $.02

HM
08-30-2005, 09:56 PM
I was sittin on the crapper reading the article on this in ***boat mag and read the statistic "The numbers speak for themselves....84% of boaters in boating accidents had never had a safety course."
My response to it was....um..."Duh!!!."
But then I thought about it for a minute, and thought that quite possibly that the number of boaters who have taken a safety course are probably 5% or less of all boaters meaning that 16% of the accidents come from less than 5% of the boaters...which would lead you to believe that boaters who have taken a safety course are more likely to have an accident than those who have not.
Lets look at auto accidents....near close of 100% of all accidents are by drivers who have licenses....so, would that mean that getting a driver's license is a major cause of accidents, and that the solution to less accidents would be to remove the requirement for driver's licenses? Of course not....and the ***boat article used that same flawed logic.

markj
09-07-2005, 08:50 PM
:boxed: Just got back from Naci....bring in the clowns! How about a license to back a trailer down a ramp, or line up a boat on a trailer? Seriously....we could use something, maybe mandatory training. I don't see it as such a major infringement. I've had lots of fun blasting around in my various cars and I still have a license.

Kim Hanson
09-15-2005, 12:33 PM
:boxed: Just got back from Naci....bring in the clowns! How about a license to back a trailer down a ramp, or line up a boat on a trailer? Seriously....we could use something, maybe mandatory training. I don't see it as such a major infringement. I've had lots of fun blasting around in my various cars and I still have a license.
I agree with you and maybe some don't think they would pass it :jawdrop: ............( . )( . ).......... :D :D

atxwrangler
09-26-2005, 01:15 AM
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAVEO
09-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Anyone buying a boat that has not owned a boat sould take some sort of class and leave all of us alone. Most of the fatalities/dismembering is due to lack of boating experiance and booz. Ive been boating all my life and have seen more and more unexsperianced people on the water. Something needs to change. Licence? I dont know.