PDA

View Full Version : mechanical question for you all

Kiddunot
05-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Hey hoat boat friends, a friend of mine had taken his 19ft searay open bow boat with a outboard merc 150 out to lake elsinore this past weekend, and experienced some mechanical problems, i wanted to know if you guys have any idea as to what could be wrong. He sez he started the boat up and while it was running when he would adjust his trim all the gauges in the boat would dive to nothing. He also could not get anything else to work ex. stereo, bow lights, bilge and so forth. when he turned the boat off and tried to restart it, it would not start. however when he hooked up his portable charger to the boat everything would work fine? Any ideas on what this could be?? battery, alternator i dont know, loose connection??? also he said that the water in lake elsinore was farely warm and his boat was running at about 170 degrees and when he floored it, it would beep at 180 degrees, is this normal in warm water like that or his something wrong with his cooling system. the boat is a 1980 something or higher older boat. please advise as to what the problems could be
Thanks
Kiddunot

JetBoatRich
05-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Loose wire or even a break in the wiring harness :confused:

78Anthonyjet
05-02-2005, 07:18 AM
I had something like that happen to me, one of the guys with me found a loose ground wire on the battery. He tightened the wire and we were back in business.

Kiddunot
05-02-2005, 10:17 AM
cool deal, i will have him check the wires to make sure they all have good connections.
Thanks

Ziggy
05-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Yup,
sounds like a bad ground connection somewhere......its hunting for a ground.

Tom Brown
05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
He needs a new water pump and may have a charging problem.
If his tach was dead, he needs a rectifier.