PDA

View Full Version : Well just about got the boat ready and...

86 catalina
04-26-2006, 03:12 PM
I cant even afford to go to the river,with these fckn gas prices...Anyone else in the same boat as me???I have a full size chevy crew cab 4 wheel drive with a vortec 454 it has a 50 gallon gas tank>It cost me around 130 just to get to the river hauling a golf cart and towing a 21 foot boat.That is 260 round trip.My boat holds 40 gallons ,thats about 150 dollars minus ocatain booster thats another 30 bucks for a total of 180 for the boat.plus the cost of food ,alcohol,fees for camping ,thats probally around another 300 bucks,lets add this up so far .........for a total of 740 dollars for a three day weekend...I used to to the river for a day or two when i got a spare chance,but now i will probally have to stay for 6 plus days just for the cost of travel fuel.I will also probally have to have two other people go with to help with the cost of travel fuel...this shit is bull shit what can we do?I called my trailer park yesterday and they said the place is a friggin ghost town because of the gas prices....no one can even afford to go there ....Hell it would be cheaper for me to go to vegas for a couple dayshttp://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13250&stc=1

wanna B V
04-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Well I tried trading my first born for a tank of premium for the boat, but Toms Shell has upped their price now to your first and second born!!!! Even just a day run to the local lake is going to cost big this season. Thieving bastard oil companies!!!!

andy01
04-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Just suck it up and pay the price to play or give up the hobby. It's only a dollar more a gallon then it was last year. So for me it is only another $200 or $300 for a weekend of gas. Not that big of deal when you add up what it cost to own a boat and crew cab.
Andy

LAFD
04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
yeah in the same boat wont be makin nearly as many trips as last year. :mad:

LAFD
04-26-2006, 03:26 PM
So for me it is only another $200 or $300 for a weekend of gas.
Andy
oh gee is that it.... :rolleyes:

NOTALENT
04-26-2006, 03:29 PM
I normally spend about 1k a weekend....I dont have the boat anymore so it should be a little less....im just complaining about the cost of focking alcohol!!!!! :mad: :crossx:

andy01
04-26-2006, 03:30 PM
oh gee is that it.... :rolleyes:
Yeah that's it! That is nothing compared to a lot of the ballers at the river with big boats and trucks. They will spend another 4-$500 in a weekend, burning 200 gallons more then me.
Andy

purrfecttremor
04-26-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't give a shiat what it cost Im there when we have time an that time begins next weekend and every other weekent thru october except for our standard week in cabo.We live for summer and its now!!!!!!!! I might have to by cheaper beer. :cry: :cry:

ChumpChange
04-26-2006, 03:33 PM
That's why I have a boat for sale. Hopefully will get rid of this one and buy a bigger one to go in the Big Blue. That way I save the money driving to the river and back.
NOTALENT.....buy my boat. You don't want to be boatless.

No Name
04-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Well I tried trading my first born for a tank of premium for the boat, but Toms Shell has upped their price now to your first and second born!!!! Even just a day run to the local lake is going to cost big this season. Thieving bastard oil companies!!!!
Most of us on here with these toys will be able to pay the higher price of gas to use them. But at 4 bucks a gallon everything is going to cost more and I'm sure there will be a lot of people affected by this in the months to come.
Thieving bastard oil companies!!!! You got that right.

JB in so cal
04-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Total truck round trip=50 gallons
Average weekend boat=60 gallons
Everything else basically same
Last Year @ $2.50 =$275
This Year @ $3.00 =$330
difference=$55
$55 spread over 3 days or so at the river: $18/day
Wifey and I both drive company cars so this is the only gas charges we have; lucky in that regard.
Everyone be safe this weekend

SUBPRIME
04-26-2006, 03:42 PM
That's why I have a boat for sale. Hopefully will get rid of this one and buy a bigger one to go in the Big Blue. That way I save the money driving to the river and back.
NOTALENT.....buy my boat. You don't want to be boatless.
I'm with you on this one, I will boat much more in the ocean this year as opposed to going to the river, the cost of pulling the boat there and back is getting out of had. I have to haul the boat less than 10 miles to put it in the salty stuff

Jyruiz
04-26-2006, 03:45 PM
The prices of gas are not going to ruin my summer, I save all year to have a good summer. I will probably float a little more instead of running around all day. Floating in Havi is better than staying home, the boat is stored in my house in Havi, so I at least save gas by not towing.

termiteguy
04-26-2006, 03:54 PM
little less watersking and wakeboarding in the morning but thats ok with me i dont do either anyway ony the kids and friend do ohwell sucks to be them i guess . but i save all year for the summer

BarryMac
04-26-2006, 03:54 PM
The prices of gas are not going to ruin my summer, I save all year to have a good summer. I will probably float a little more instead of running around all day. Floating in Havi is better than staying home, the boat is stored in my house in Havi, so I at least save gas by not towing.
So when are we tearing your house up??? Barrymac here BTW... :D

86 catalina
04-26-2006, 03:57 PM
If i had the money you guys got ,things would be diffrent, i am not a fireman making sick amounts of money, im just a ol construction worker.>.And your pricing is off just a tad j.b try 3.45 a gal right now for 91 octaine and it will be 4.00 dollars a gal for 91 before the summer is even over..

86 catalina
04-26-2006, 04:06 PM
for All you guys with these big ass 25 plus foot boats, i wouldnt think that a measly buck or two per gallon would hurt you guys that much.I mean how much did you pay for you boats ?????My guess would be anywhere from 30 grand up to around 100 grand,anyone that has that type of cashola to spend on a boat has probally got it covered,you would think

HTRDLNCN
04-26-2006, 04:24 PM
On the other hand you dont really need a crew cab duallie 4x4 454 to tow a 21ft boat..
using a normal size truck that gets twice the gas milage might save you more than if the gas prices went back down.

andy01
04-26-2006, 04:28 PM
My guess would be anywhere from 30 grand up to around 100 grand,
I'd say your a tad bit low there......
It still sucks to spend the money, but you may as well spend it and have a good weekend. Hell look at the people out there that waste thier money on drugs, beer and other none esecial things. Yes most people drink at the river but they don't have to. Those people could be going to the river if they didn't have waste there money on that stuff. I guess it is up to each person what they like, I like to drive a big ass boat to Catalina when ever I want or go to the river. Others do other things. I sucks spending the money but it is price less sitting on the water.
Andy

Dribble
04-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Two years ago. Boat gas for a day - $50.00.
Car gas getting there - $25.00
This year. Boat gas for a day- $75.00
Car gas - $37.00
Total additional cost $37.00.
I'm there.

JB in so cal
04-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Check with the campgound and see if you can store/leave you boat and cart there. Even at $40/mo, it's cheaper than draggin back and forth. If they'll launch for you as well, leave the dually at home and drive something else.
If you want to do the river, there's ways to do it; just dig deeper.

Jyruiz
04-26-2006, 04:59 PM
So when are we tearing your house up??? Barrymac here BTW... :D
I know who you are :220v:
You missed the party, it was the weekend of the ( this month) 7, we had about 30 something peeps show up.

MOBrien
04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Get the cheapest booze.
Get the cheapest food.
Get the cheapest gas.
Get the cheapest place to stay.
Get the cheapest supplies.
Get the cheapest fuggin everything.
Whatever it takes to keep hittin the water and keep boating like you're used to. Bottom line, boating ain't cheap.
Break
Out
Another
Thousand..........not just talkin about maintenance & repairs ya know.
The thinning of the heard will become apparent very soon. I for one, will not change my boating habits because of fuel pricing. I will however, change my other spending habits to continue burning as much fuel as possible every time out. :crossx:

86 catalina
04-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I would never stop going to the river, hell i got a place out there ...aslo i love being in my boat nothing beats it ...just built a 496 stroker engine for her and i cant wait....My trailer park dosent have any available storage ,but i am on the list for one.I was thinking of buying a storage container and having them drop it at my park>>I dont want to leave my boat in a storage yard either.I have heard alot of bad things (stolen stuff) about them..Also i cant tow the boat with any smaller of a truck because i aslo carry my golf cart in it >>The carts wont fit in any smaller of a truck than a full size long bed...

Mrs.Killer
04-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah that's it! That is nothing compared to a lot of the ballers at the river with big boats and trucks. They will spend another 4-$500 in a weekend, burning 200 gallons more then me.
Andy
Thats why their called ballers, they can afford it.Gas was alot cheaper last year so the extra $1.00 per gallon this year really hurts the pocket. Its not a matter of sucking it up, he just cant afford it....isn't that what he said.

ROZ
04-26-2006, 05:29 PM
I might have to by cheaper beer. :cry: :cry:
I'm going to buy stock in the cheapest beer and hard liquor on the market.. Bound to make some jack(no pun intended) off the cheap mofos, like me, who'll buy the cheap shit to put be able to put gas in the tank
:crossx:

roostwear
04-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I feel your pain, so let me tell ya how I've gotten around it. 2 years ago, I started looking at how much I spent on hotel rooms every summer. how much I burned just towing the boat out every other weekend, launch fees, etc. Half jokingly I said that it would be cheaper to own a place at the river. When I started crunching numbers I found it IS cheaper to own a place than do the bi-weekly trek to the river.
I bought a little shack I can call my own, bought a Bronco that stays out there to launch the boat and generally F around, and keep the boat there for the summer. I use the econo car to go back and forth to the river, and I'm SAVING money over what I used to spend. Granted, I float and hang on the beach more, but it's not a big deal.
It's different for everyone, but I'd rather make some minor changes to my routine that a MAJOR change to my lifestyle.

Throttle
04-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Total truck round trip=50 gallons
Average weekend boat=60 gallons
Everything else basically same
Last Year @ $2.50 =$275
This Year @ $3.00 =$330
difference=$55
$55 spread over 3 days or so at the river: $18/day
Wifey and I both drive company cars so this is the only gas charges we have; lucky in that regard.
Everyone be safe this weekend
too much thought into this reply, however I like it...
no big deal, its all part of the lifestyle...

JB in so cal
04-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm going to buy stock in the cheapest beer and hard liquor on the market.. Bound to make some jack(no pun intended) off the cheap mofos, like me, who'll buy the cheap shit to put be able to put gas in the tank
:crossx:
Tank. Of what? Toyotas don't count, homo!

77charger
04-26-2006, 08:31 PM
stop and think you are paying a buck more than last year well if you use say 125 gallons total boat and truck.etc it will be 125 more but last year you were also paying almost a buck from the year before and so on.It all adds up.
BTW if the ones who say it wont affect your boating more power to you just dont complain if diesel goes up too,or any gas prices for that matter even for your everyday driving.Hey it only adds what 25 per week :D
For me it will slow me down a bit 3 years ago i finally had enough time to play went just about every other week at worst from mem til october somtimes 2-3 weekends in a row but i worked alot of overtime in the winter and in summer if i wasnt at river i worked for the next weekend.Now i have to work 2 weekends to get one play weekend.But now this summer i am too busy with a dragboat and travel.

a catered life
04-26-2006, 08:53 PM
I feel your pain, so let me tell ya how I've gotten around it. 2 years ago, I started looking at how much I spent on hotel rooms every summer. how much I burned just towing the boat out every other weekend, launch fees, etc. Half jokingly I said that it would be cheaper to own a place at the river. When I started crunching numbers I found it IS cheaper to own a place than do the bi-weekly trek to the river.
I bought a little shack I can call my own, bought a Bronco that stays out there to launch the boat and generally F around, and keep the boat there for the summer. I use the econo car to go back and forth to the river, and I'm SAVING money over what I used to spend. Granted, I float and hang on the beach more, but it's not a big deal.
It's different for everyone, but I'd rather make some minor changes to my routine that a MAJOR change to my lifestyle.
:idea: instresting and well said i may need to look into this idea..........shiat house prices went up in the last two years :yuk: guess i gotta scrap this idea

77charger
04-26-2006, 09:13 PM
makes sense to me esp if you go alot al you have to do is drive up in a 10 year old honda that gets 30 mpg then use an old truck to launch boat. after mobey saved on a room,tow vehicle gas x3 times a month.
When i left my trailer in storage at needles was 30 per month camp was 55-60 per weekend.And used it on avg 2-3 times a month but staya t a campground launch was free too.
hotel say 150 a weekend
boat launch 20 per wekend
hotel stay equals buy dinner add another 20
190 per weekend x2 at least=380.0
vs
90 per weekend with just one use with trailer storage
less for the next
:boxed:

beyondhelpin
04-26-2006, 09:32 PM
FOCK
If I hear one more person say if you cant afford the extra cash just give it up! Fock that!!! Big Ballers, Arrogrant, or is it just Retarded.........whatever you want to call them, need to shut the fock up if that is all they can come up with. Just a few guys lacking class.
Like several have said sit down and work the numbers and see what works best. Might be able to save some cash in other ways to offset the higher price of fuel. I am lucky, the fuel prices are not going keep me off the lake at all. I dont have near the drive you guys do to the water. We also raft up quite a bit saving more on gas. Still not cheap but doable every weekend. If Tequila or Rum makes a run up in price, I am in the hurt locker! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Big Kahunaa
04-26-2006, 09:45 PM
FOCK
If I hear one more person say if you cant afford the extra cash just give it up! Fock that!!! Big Ballers, Arrogrant, or is it just Retarded.........whatever you want to call them, need to shut the fock up if that is all they can come up with. Just a few guys lacking class.
Like several have said sit down and work the numbers and see what works best. Might be able to save some cash in other ways to offset the higher price of fuel. I am lucky, the fuel prices are not going keep me off the lake at all. I dont have near the drive you guys do to the water. We also raft up quite a bit saving more on gas. Still not cheap but doable every weekend. If Tequila or Rum makes a run up in price, I am in the hurt locker! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
thank you for saying that with gas now i'll just drive the 4x4 to the beach

CBadDad
04-26-2006, 10:02 PM
If i had the money you guys got ,things would be diffrent, i am not a fireman making sick amounts of money, im just a ol construction worker.
I feel your pain at the pump too bro, but I have no idea where you get this from. Both of my brothers are in the trades and they make way more money than I do. Get real, while you're driving a big ol' truck with a cart in the bed, pulling a boat behind you. We're just civil servants trying to get by. Granted, we're problem solvers by nature, so you won't here us here whining about the price of fuel, we just get it done...we know the alternative.
No one ever promised you tomorrow. Pick up a side job so nothing else has to change and try to have some fun! Worrying about it will change nothing, IMHO

KACHINA KEN
04-26-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm putting 200 gal ( $600 ) of 91 in tomorrow and 36( $120ish) gal in the Dodge 2500, does that make you feel a lil better? :p :p :p :p

86 catalina
04-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm putting 200 gal ( $600 ) of 91 in tomorrow and 36( $120ish) gal in the Dodge 2500, does that make you feel a lil better?
__________________Yes it does make me feel better,but it still sucks

86 catalina
04-27-2006, 09:07 PM
I feel your pain, so let me tell ya how I've gotten around it. 2 years ago, I started looking at how much I spent on hotel rooms every summer. how much I burned just towing the boat out every other weekend, launch fees, etc. Half jokingly I said that it would be cheaper to own a place at the river. When I started crunching numbers I found it IS cheaper to own a place than do the bi-weekly trek to the river. I have a 35 foot trailer out at my park right now,,,thinking if i can afford it ,sell and buy a double wide with storage sounds like a great test...

28Prowler525
04-27-2006, 09:12 PM
The more gas costs, the less people in front of me on my way to work.

86 catalina
04-27-2006, 09:22 PM
The more gas costs, the less people in front of me on my way to work. Boy that sure does make alot of sense........good philisophy..........did i spell that right ha ha ha ha ha

ovrkll77
04-27-2006, 09:29 PM
I see more little pos hondas now. I feel like the king of the road, with my lifted excursion.