PDA

View Full Version : Towing With Big Rims/Rubberbands

payloan
05-06-2005, 06:44 AM
Just thought I would try and see if anyone knows much about tires. I had the the whole truck thing with the lifts etc. and have now just bought a '05 Yukon and am shopping for some "Blings" I really want some fat 24" rims but don't know how wise it is to run back and forth to the river on "rubberbands". I do store the boat out there so towing would probably only be from storage to water and I'm sure a couple of trips back home for repairs and what not. I definately don't want to go anything smaller than 22", althogh 23" fill up the space perfectly the selection is not that big. Anyone have some info?

Havasu Hangin'
05-06-2005, 06:46 AM
I'd check the weight rating on the tires you want first (it will vary by size).

That Guy
05-06-2005, 07:59 AM
I have an 03 Suburban with 24's and am out to the river at least twice a month. (Usually more like 3-4 times)....They do fine. We tow from our storage to the lake, so it sounds like a really similar situation. So far, no problems....and the bling factor is off the hook... :D Good Luck

Brewzed
05-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Look for a one-peice wheel. I know a guy that had a 2-peice 20" wheel come apart on him while towing.

Boozer
05-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Have you driven a vehicle with 24's yet? Most people will not be happy with the way a vehicle handles on 24's. The turning feels different, the vehicle is harder to stop (unless you upgrade the brakes) and the ride will be substantially rougher.
Personally I would not turn a rim any bigger then a 22 on any vehicle for any reason. But again thats just my personal opinion.
Before you spend the money on a set of 24's make sure to drive a similar vehicle with 24's first to make sure you're comfortable with the way the vehicle rides.

phebus
05-06-2005, 09:03 AM
I've read several articles on the bigger wheels, and they state for safety, anything bigger then 22's require bigger brakes.

superdave013
05-06-2005, 09:26 AM
I've read several articles on the bigger wheels, and they state for safety, anything bigger then 22's require bigger brakes.
Wouldn't the OD of the tire be the thing that really matters? I mean if some guy has 24" with the rubber bands they are not near as large as some other guy with 15" rims and a set of 44" super swampers.

CornWater
05-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Wouldn't the OD of the tire be the thing that really matters? I mean if some guy has 24" with the rubber bands they are not near as large as some other guy with 15" rims and a set of 44" super swampers.
Not necessarily, it is the rotating mass that is key, and the wheel generally weighs a hell of a lot more than the tire...

lucky
05-06-2005, 09:30 AM
yea your correct dave - but what you did not take into concidration was the rotating weight of them stupid ass spinners :D bling bling - is such a lil dick thing :D

lucky
05-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Not necessarily, it is the rotating mass that is key, and the wheel generally weighs a hell of a lot more than the tire...
ive picked up some heavy ass tires

CornWater
05-06-2005, 09:34 AM
That may be true, but the unit weight of steel is sill going to be more than rubber, no matter how you slice it. Aluminum wheels will definately help.

superdave013
05-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Ok, I see your point. Those rims must be heavy fockers then. I used to run some 38" swampers and on a 15" rim that was a very heavy set up. I just could not fathom a 24" bling rim with a rubber strip weighing more. But I guess I could be wrong.

CornWater
05-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Don't know that it weighs more, just weighs more at a further distance from the center. But 38's should have upgraded brakes as well.

lucky
05-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Ok, I see your point. Those rims must be heavy fockers then. I used to run some 38" swampers and on a 15" rim that was a very heavy set up. I just could not fathom a 24" bling rim with a rubber strip weighing more. But I guess I could be wrong.
i highly doubt your wrong - your just too nice a guy - to call bullshit :D

superdave013
05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Don't know that it weighs more, just weighs more at a further distance from the center. But 38's should have upgraded brakes as well.
Yes, that is another good point. If you are going to have rotating weight it's best to keep it as close to the hub as you can.
Those 38's were on a 1963 one ton truck 4x4 truck that used to be a wrecker truck. It was a real beast and had no problems locking up all 4 wheels. Thing still didn't stop worth a crap. lol But hey, those bias plys sure worked good in the mid west mud!

Biglue
05-06-2005, 09:43 AM
I have a truck on 22 inch wheels and it tows fine. Although I have the biggest tire available. You will not be able to brake for hell though. I would also upgrade the brakes. I have a set of 4 piston calipers on and braking is a lot more comfortable whe somebody on the road kills your space buffer on the road while towing.

CornWater
05-06-2005, 09:45 AM
i highly doubt your wrong - your just too nice a guy - to call bullshit :D
You're probably right, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff..

PHOTOGLOU
05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
I have a set of 22 8 lug weight rated rims with 305/45/22 weight rated tires yes it takes a little longer to stop the 3/4 ton sub with them but I also have electronic trailer brakes on the boat trailer that will stop both rig and boat without the brake pedal..... do you have elec brakes??? make sure you have the right tires for the weight of your boat and rig INSURANCE MAY NOT cover you if you have an accident due to wrong tires

lucky
05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
You're probably right, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff..
no i'm not right - just a rambling ass - and i'm a fan of the way dave does stuff - he is artisian ok i'lll go play inanother sand box :D

Totally IncapASSitated
05-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I used to have a Yukon with 22's riding on 305/45's and had no problems (with the tires and wheels that is...now the transmission was a whole different issue!!! lol)

Biglue
05-06-2005, 10:03 AM
The tires are properly rated, I forget exactly the rating is though. As far as a transmission goes, I had the dealer reprogram the brain in the truck to compensate for the wheel overall overall diameter difference. That also made it a little more comfortable. That should be done just to correct the speedometer.

Blown 472
05-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Dont foget your gold teeff.

Biglue
05-06-2005, 10:12 AM
No I don't have electric brakes. My truck is an 01 F150 supercrew. It's rated to tow 8000 lbs. My new boat and trailer have a combined weight of about 5800 to 6000 lbs. I just got it in January. I thought about getting into a bigger truck but it tows just fine. Uphills aren't liked by the truck while towing but other than that it's fine. I did some upgrades on it as far as brakes and bigger transmission fluid cooler. I'm still not completely sure if I will not need bigger truck. This summer when I tow across the desert will be the deciding event. I've towed my boat to Laughlin and Mead over the early spring and it did just fine. I'm just wondering if the heat will be that big a detrimental factor, you know.

Boatcop
05-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I would think that the really squat tires would heat up more towing across the desert, leading to potential failure.
Anyone heard of something like this?

Biglue
05-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Good point. Although a 45 series tire is still fairly beefy. I'd like to know if anyone is towing a medium size boat around with a half ton truck. My boat is a Commander 26 signature. Is there anyone out there who is doing the same thing as I am? Like I said earlier I was thinking about a bigger truck but to drive a truck with that more capacity everyday these days would cripple your pocket with the gas prices. Know what I mean?