PDA

View Full Version : DUI Lawyers - Havasu....

rvrhlic
05-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know of a good Lawyer in Havasu. One of my friends got a DUI at Windsor while backing the truck down. Any suggestions would be helpful.
thanks
rvr

HBjet
05-16-2005, 01:49 PM
If your friend was at or over the legal limit an in operation of a motorized vehicle, then my suggestion is to save your money on the lawyer, pay the fine, learn from this lesson.
As crappy as it may seem because "He was just backing down the boat trailer" the law says you can't operate a motorized vehicle. I'm not trying to be a dick, I got a DUI for a similar thing (parking the boat trailer) and I spent 5k for a lawyer. All I got for that 5k was never having to go to court, not having to do community service in Banning picking up trash on the fwy for a total of 80 hours to haivng to do 100 hours of community service at the Goodwill in Huntington Beach.
HBjet

460 jus getn it
05-16-2005, 02:27 PM
dont get a laywer.i got a dui and spent over 8 grand on a laywer and it didnt help on bit. like hb jet says pay the fine chalk up the lesson and go from there.

riverbound
05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
PM Parker he knows a great DUI lawyer, that has bailed out many of our friends that have had multiple DUI.

77charger
05-16-2005, 03:45 PM
save the money and try to talk to the DA, work out a plea bargain.

bohica
05-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Was this a random stop or did they have some sort of sobriety check. Who wrote the ticket, Ranger, LHPD of Mohave Sheriff?
Sucks for your buddy, looks like we gotta have 2 designated drivers at the end of the day.

rvrhlic
05-16-2005, 04:12 PM
I will tell you what i know as i was not there. He was pulling the trieler to the ramp, the rtanger told him to go to a stall and he went to a different one, tha ranger came over and talked to him and that is when he got busted. He was busted at windsor, by a ranger. They rangers said that the breathalizer was not working as he blew a 4.x (not sure of the exact) then he waited 2.5 hours for an EMT to come draw blood, they drew the blood and let him go. He is not even sure what his BAC was. The breathalizer showed 2.1 on one blow but who knows.
Again, thanks for the help.
rvr

Phat Matt
05-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I will tell you what i know as i was not there. He was pulling the trieler to the ramp, the rtanger told him to go to a stall and he went to a different one, tha ranger came over and talked to him and that is when he got busted. He was busted at windsor, by a ranger. They rangers said that the breathalizer was not working as he blew a 4.x (not sure of the exact) then he waited 2.5 hours for an EMT to come draw blood, they drew the blood and let him go. He is not even sure what his BAC was. The breathalizer showed 2.1 on one blow but who knows.
rvr
Sounds like he might get lucky if he had to wait 2.5 hours. Did he jog around the parking lot while he was waiting? ;)

moneypit
05-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Im LARRY H. PARKER and I will fight for you (or your friend).

Dr. Eagle
05-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Im LARRY H. PARKER and I will fight for you (or your friend).
But you're still DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!! :supp:

Kachina26
05-16-2005, 04:19 PM
I hope you meant .21 :jawdrop:

JetBoatRich
05-16-2005, 04:21 PM
rvr
If it ended being a 2.1, that is still pretty high :eek:

Dr. Eagle
05-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I think you're right, otherwise he'd be pickled by now... :idea:

Dr. Eagle
05-16-2005, 04:32 PM
If it ended being a 2.1, that is still pretty high :eek:
only just shy of 3 times the legal limit... :supp:

hugh jascock
05-16-2005, 04:44 PM
only just shy of 3 times the legal limit... :supp:
2.1 and he would be dead! .21 is flat drunk as a skunk also!
.08 or above is the line you can't cross so if he was .21 he was 2.5 x the legal limit.

rvrhlic
05-16-2005, 04:47 PM
yeah I meant .21 that is after the meter showed .4 something obviously something was not right and the ranger admitted it.

cola
05-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Was he cuffed & in there custody while he waited for the EMS. This will make all the difference in there case to prove he was DUI. Might help, not that he should have been behind the wheel. I have lost one brother-in-law by a drunk driver :mad: & don't wish to loose anyone else.
Late, Mike

slink
05-16-2005, 05:02 PM
After 2.5 hrs, he was probably back at .00%. I'm assuming he recieved a ticket, by the term he let him go. If he didn't get a ticket, then that means the ranger is going to submit the case for DA review. If thats the case, wait 4-6 weeks until the blood results come back and see if the DA is even going to file the case before he spends the $$$ on a lawyer.

460 jus getn it
05-16-2005, 05:03 PM
yeah I meant .21 that is after the meter showed .4 something obviously something was not right and the ranger admitted it.
if they admitted that something was wrong then that might be grounds for a laywer. i know i said not to get on but if he had to wait 2.5 and then its wasnt a police officer or someone like that who took his blood then he has a way out.

SL1111
05-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Who transported the blood after the draw. There is a chain of custody for that blood...... Sounds like the rangers dropped the ball.

cola
05-16-2005, 05:08 PM
I believe they have 2.5 hrs from the first contact to time of test other than PAS or field sobriety.

Kilrtoy
05-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Who transported the blood after the draw. There is a chain of custody for that blood...... Sounds like the rangers dropped the ball.
Mark Furhman

riverroyal
05-16-2005, 05:22 PM
was he busted before getting in the water?Was he the boat driver?Not trying to be a dick but,sounds like the rangers did their job,im sure he is a great guy,just thinking out loud,still sucks though

JetBoatRich
05-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Mark Furhman
That is sort of funny :hammerhea from you :wink:

rvrhlic
05-16-2005, 05:33 PM
I agree the rangers did their job. the only reason he was backing down the trailer is because they needed him to. He did not drive the boat at all. In fact he did not drive all day, his girl friend drove the truck to the ramp and he got in to back it down.
He did get a ticket for not obeying a officer (or something like that since the officer told him to go to one of the lanes an he went to a different one). Also the ticket was for DUI, he was told 15 days for it to get into the system then he has 15 days to see a judge.
He doesn’t have an account here so I am posting for him. From what I understand the rangers admitted something was wrong with the breathalyzer and that is why they were waiting for an EMT to come take blood. When the blood was taken, they let him go. HE was not taken anywhere just hung out at the little shack a Windsor.

Sanger D
05-16-2005, 05:37 PM
heres a thought!!!!!! DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!!! :devil:if he was ,nt drunk but only had a beer or too then he knew better than to get behind the wheel (if only for a second)other wise ,he was drunk and had it commin,you people bitch about PWC,s and unlicenced boaters and such but you got all these freinds with multiple dui,s............F#@$K em,you get NO sympathy here in fact I ever run into ANYBODY out there on the water and you start shit with me or any one else and I,LL FU&*^%$KIN DEAL WITH YOU PERSONALY!!! :devil: :devil: ( IF YOUR INTOXICATED AND BEHIND THE WHEEL) I hope they hang his ASS and any one else who gets behind the wheel of ANY THING after drinking a drop.but hey party on right, its O K because its your boatin buddy, you know him!!!!!he,s got it commin,maybe he,ll learn from it,obviously some of you people don,t :notam: :notam: (multiple dui,s).........F#@$!KIN shoot em!!!!it,ll be your buddy that takes out your little girl and her friend she brought for the day,just because he had a little drink or too. ................................morons :devil:

Havasu_Dreamin
05-16-2005, 05:57 PM
sanger d have u ever got behind the wheel after a couple of drinks? chances are u have so dont flame someone for something that alot of people have done and still do.
Just because people do it does not make it right.

riverroyal
05-16-2005, 06:01 PM
so my boats tooo loud from the marina and i cant drink at windsor,,,aww crap,, :cry:

JetBoatRich
05-16-2005, 06:08 PM
im not saying its right. many people still do it and thats the bad thing. i learned my lesson and will never drink and drive again. but there are many people out there who havent and thats the scary thing again im not saying its right if i came across that way im sorry.
I read it the same way, like it is the norm so it is ok :jawdrop:

Havasu_Dreamin
05-16-2005, 06:11 PM
I read it the same way, like it is the norm so it is ok :jawdrop:
Good, for a second I thought I was the only that read it that way.

Boatcop
05-16-2005, 06:23 PM
After 2.5 hrs, he was probably back at .00%.
If he was a .21%, after 2 1/2 hours he would be around .17%.
The human body metabolizes alcohol at approx .015% per hour.
Still would be above the "Extreme" level.
I don't know why people are asking if he was operating a boat or not. Driving, or in actual physical control of a motor vehicle anywhere in the State (including launch ramps, private property, or even the middle of the desert) while impaired is still a crime.
If the machine gave a false reading, then the Ranger did the proper thing. Get blood. No grounds for dismissal since he recognized the problem, and took alternative measures. Now, anyone else who was charged, based on the results of that machine from the last time it was calibrated/serviced, might be able to prove reasonable doubt.

cola
05-16-2005, 07:05 PM
If he was a .21%, after 2 1/2 hours he would be around .17%.
Still would be above the "Extreme" level.
I don't know why people are asking if he was operating a boat or not. Driving, or in actual physical control of a motor vehicle anywhere in the State (including launch ramps, private property, or even the middle of the desert) while impaired is still a crime.
If the machine gave a false reading, then the Ranger did the proper thing. Get blood. No grounds for dismissal since he recognized the problem, and took alternative measures. Now, anyone else who was charged, based on the results of that machine from the last time it was calibrated/serviced, might be able to prove reasonable doubt.
Alen, are the field machines just to determine probable cause. Then one of the three of your choice breath, urine or blood test to identify the actual BAL. Just curious as I stayed at Holiday Inn last night. :jawdrop:
Late, Mike

Boatcop
05-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Alen, are the field machines just to determine probable cause. Then one of the three of your choice breath, urine or blood test to identify the actual BAL. Just curious as I stayed at Holiday Inn last night. :jawdrop:
Late, Mike
The portable breath tests are used to verify that impairment is due to alcohol and not some other drug.
Drugs like valium, muscle relaxers, (Soma is big out here) Marijuana, and other central nervous system depressants cause similar effects as alcohol. If we have someone fail the other field sobriety tests and have a low BAC %, we know to start looking for other things.
What they may have taken will determine which test (Blood, Breath, or Urine) we'll use for the certified results. Urine, for example, is the best test for drug metabolites.
We have Drug Recognition Examiners who can determine what class of drug (depressant, narcotic, stimulant, etc) they've ingested through a few simple observations and tests.
That way we can either rule in or rule out alcohol as the cause of impairment.

cola
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
The portable breath tests are used to verify that impairment is due to alcohol and not some other drug.
Drugs like valium, muscle relaxers, (Soma is big out here) Marijuana, and other central nervous system depressants cause similar effects as alcohol. If we have someone fail the other field sobriety tests and have a low BAC %, we know to start looking for other things.
What they may have taken will determine which test (Blood, Breath, or Urine) we'll use for the certified results. Urine, for example, is the best test for drug metabolites.
We have Drug Recognition Examiners who can determine what class of drug (depressant, narcotic, stimulant, etc) they've ingested through a few simple observations and tests.
That way we can either rule in or rule out alcohol as the cause of impairment.
Thanks Alen I hope to never find this info the hard way. It sounds a lot cheeper to learn from others mistakes. :wink: (knock on wood)
Late, Mike

Sane Asylum
05-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Mark Furhman
:D :D ..............LMAO

cjordan
05-17-2005, 04:41 AM
A neighbor of mine (very cool guy) is a judge here in Cincinnati....in his court if you are a 1st or 2nd time offender (assuming no accident) you are going to get EXACTLY the same sentence WITH OR WITHOUT an attorney. Many people like to spend large sums of $$ after the sales pitch from their attorneys. ;) If you blow over (and I would think) especially if they took blood you are SOL. :hammer2: The same judge also told me that if you know you have had too much to drink you should not take ANY TESTS AT ALL.....NOTHING! Don't walk a line, touch your nose, do the alphabet backwards...none of it. You will be cited for a violation of the implied consent law and loose your license for 6 months, no DUI....BUT if you are drunk you will get a DUI and still loose your license for at least 6 months.
They have to prove you were drunk and well with no actual proof.....you see where I'm going. I'll give you another example, If you do the above tests...(which are totally subjective) fail them, then actually blow under the limit they can STILL CHARGE YOU WITH A DUI even if you are under .08%!!!
If you think you are under, you are better off to pass on all the subjective tests (some of which are difficult stone sober) and ask to just take the brethalizer... you are not violating implied consent, at least in Ohio.
Having a few cocktails is one thing, but operating something blasted is stupid.

Sanger D
05-17-2005, 09:38 AM
upset much. why dont u really tell us how you really feel. sanger d have u ever got behind the wheel after a couple of drinks? chances are u have so dont flame someone for something that alot of people have done and still do. I do not drink, ONCE in a very long time I will have A glass of wine or something with my wife or family,friends, I have never ,nor would I get behind the wheel of any thing ,and I fly ,drive,and manouver just about everything!!!.this D U I crap is not even discussable, NO one has any grounds to debate it,even if it was,nt a law!!!I sound so mad on this issue because I have zero tollerance toward this,and these people are grown up adults?that makes it even worse,its truely amazing how many people think this is a casual thing ,,,until some ones dead then its a big sad pitty party because someone you know (or don,t) got killed from a drunk driver!!adults should act like adults!!!!!!BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS!!!! getting behind the wheel of anything after drinking ( even a little) is not being accountable,and thenlook for sympathy or a good lawyer to get you off, please!!! I,ll help pull the switch!! sound extreme!!!! tell my dead sister or the persons dead wife, child mother,father,husband ,son ,or daughter that its too extreme!!!I do think this guy or any one else should not get any representation if your busted for dui.unless their a alchoholic and are looking for help!!!this is not a small problem,people DIE!!!!!if you drink and drive ,,I hope you get NAILED ,and I mean anybody!!!otherwise hey, party on and let someone else take the wheel,not a hard dicission to make!!!

Sanger D
05-17-2005, 09:46 AM
im not saying its right. many people still do it and thats the bad thing. i learned my lesson and will never drink and drive again. but there are many people out there who havent and thats the scary thing again im not saying its right if i came across that way im sorry. so you just felt like jumping my ass for something I,m absolutely right on?your post makes no point or sense,or are you just trying to stick up for those that do ?otherwise you should have agreed with me and not accused me of something YOU did or other people do :D right? just trying to see it your way............................................... .but I,m sorry, I don,t!!

bohica
05-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Boatcop,
What approx. percentage will one 12oz. beer raise your BAC? I've always heard that 1 beer an hour and you wouldn't be over the limit. Any truth to that?

Sanger D
05-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Boatcop,
What approx. percentage will one 12oz. beer raise your BAC? I've always heard that 1 beer an hour and you wouldn't be over the limit. Any truth to that? I hope its just curiuosity asking that question,I would think that even ONE beer and a person would just cruise a while before driving!!!....................I hope!!

Boatcop
05-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Boatcop,
What approx. percentage will one 12oz. beer raise your BAC? I've always heard that 1 beer an hour and you wouldn't be over the limit. Any truth to that?
One "drink" =.54 OZs of alcohol. It's the same for a 12 OZ beer, 8 OZ wine or 1 shot of 90 proof alcohol.
How much a drink will affect the BAC in a person depends on a lot of factors. weight, gender, body mass, etc. The statistics used are for an average 170 lb male or 137 lb female. Your individual results will vary.
http://www.madd.org/madd.org/images/1103_1049.gif
Here's a link to a BAC calculator.
BAC Calculator (http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm)
Please. Don't use this as a justification to drink and drive, and that it's OK if you "pace yourself". There are more factors at work here then just weight and number of drinks. It is always best to have a designated driver.
And I would hope that people would be more concerned about killing their families and friends or some other innocent persons, then they would be about getting a DUI or OUI. Those who do get caught should consider themselves lucky, when faced with the alternatives.

riverroyal
05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
i was asking if he was driving the boat because I was on the lake in my boat,just curious,thats all,,,,nice graph by the way

Kingofspeed
05-24-2005, 05:41 PM
I hope its just curiuosity asking that question,I would think that even ONE beer and a person would just cruise a while before driving!!!....................I hope!!
Personally I like to know all the technicalitys to get off the charges. Like not taking the tests when you know your blasted. You will loose your license if you take the tests or don't ... so don't give them the evidence!
Now go out and risk lives as long as your having fun!!!!
KINGOFSPEED AND BOOZE

Boatcop
05-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Personally I like to know all the technicalitys to get off the charges. Like not taking the tests when you know your blasted. You will loose your license if you take the tests or don't ... so don't give them the evidence!
KINGOFSPEED AND BOOZE
I'm hoping your tongue is planted firmly in your cheek as you're typing that.
If someone is "blasted" as you say, they can and do still get convicted of DUI and/or OUI, based on the observations of the Officer. Even without the tests.
You may or may not know that while you're sitting at the machine refusing and carrying on, and also while you're being walked down the hallway, filling out forms, etc. most, if not all, of your actions are being video taped. That tape is called evidence.
And after all the refusal stuff, (losing license, additional fines, etc.) most Agnecies will get a search warrant for blood and the get the evidence anyway. Some Agencies in California don't even need a warrant. They can hold you down and take it. And just because they got the evidence, don't think the refusal penalties will go away.
They won't!
Maybe a lawyer can get you off on the charges, maybe not. But either way it's going to cost a ton of money, inconvenience, hassle, etc.
Better not to even drink and drive in the first place.

Havasu4me
05-24-2005, 06:13 PM
KINGOFSPEED AND BOOZE
You are quite the dipshit.
Enough said.

cjordan
05-25-2005, 06:05 AM
I'm hoping your tongue is planted firmly in your cheek as you're typing that.
If someone is "blasted" as you say, they can and do still get convicted of DUI and/or OUI, based on the observations of the Officer. Even without the tests.
You may or may not know that while you're sitting at the machine refusing and carrying on, and also while you're being walked down the hallway, filling out forms, etc. most, if not all, of your actions are being video taped. That tape is called evidence.
And after all the refusal stuff, (losing license, additional fines, etc.) most Agnecies will get a search warrant for blood and the get the evidence anyway. Some Agencies in California don't even need a warrant. They can hold you down and take it.
Better not to even drink and drive in the first place.
If someone is blasted, can't walk, talk, etc, etc they are SOL and should be in the above scenerio......However the majority of people who get DUI's are not that way, they've had a few too many or havn't eaten, etc, etc. Usually no harm no foul....In this area, law enforcement has no right or ability to take blood unless there was an accident resulting in injury and refusal of test(s).
The problem with the "subjective to the officers opinion(s)" tests are as follows: if you take them and fail them in the officers opinion, then blow and blow under .08% you can and usually will still get DUI! BS but it happens more than you think! Some of the tests are difficult to pass even stone sober......I agreee one should not drink and drive, but everyone should know their rights in the event they find themselves in a rare but sticky situation.......many actually ask the police what they have to do, do you think they are going to get all of the (correct) information from them? Some yes, some who knows.....
I'm no attorney, but I'm passing on what I have been told by a judge that you might sit in front of if cited here...maybe he has no idea of what he's talking about, but I kinda doubt it. He told me he personally would not take ANY of the subjective tests even if he had 1 beer.