PDA

View Full Version : HouseBoat tips !

LHC Kirby
05-16-2005, 07:45 PM
I have a houseboat trip coming up and we are looking for recipes, hints, tips, and suggestions for the trip - on Lake Powell - mid August. :idea:
Some comments I have already heard:
Anchors: bury them - secure them -over do it - I understand this part.
Guests: bring ones that you expect will get along - Understand this one too
Meals: this I could use a little help on, some suggest we plan each family have one or two nights of dinners - others say each family does 1 or 2 days of meals = B, L, D. - or combination.
any suggestions of Do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

upsman105
05-16-2005, 07:56 PM
I am actually off that whole week, where are you guys camping?

LHC Kirby
05-16-2005, 08:07 PM
First time to Lake Powell - and this is a fixed week. I am open to suggestions, i plan on getting a Banner for the back of the boat that simply say's "Kirby" to help find it and locate it for others.

LHC Kirby
05-16-2005, 08:17 PM
I will post and PM you - a cold beer waiting for you - favorite flavor?
still open for more suggestions

phebus
05-16-2005, 08:21 PM
My best tip would be to not let anyone eat beans. :crossx:

jeepinscott
05-16-2005, 08:21 PM
We do the powell houseboat thing and always split the meal preperation per family. We used to just bring the stuff per day per family, but now one person goes to costco with a list and we split the cost among us. We then have a chore chart and each family only has to cook or clean two days.

DEEZ NUTTS
05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
This is how you correctly pack the houseboat freezer.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830101_0173_Small_-med.JPG

OutCole'd
05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
I have done a few of these to Mead. Usually big trips. 40-50 people 4+ Houseboats.
The way we did it was divide the couple up in teams. We were responsible for cooking & cleaning one dinner & breakfast for everyone. Then we were done for the rest of the trip.
Make something for dinner you can prepare early & freeze. Spagetti sauce, ribs, etc. Lunches you were on your own.
Everyone pitched in & all the food came out of the one budget.
It helps to have someone really organized put the trip together. The girl that did it for us always got her trip for free. It was worth it.
Also the best thing we ever did was bring a commercial ice macine with us. A bilge pump in the water for a supply line & all the ice chest stayed stocked.
The most important was bringing the right group of people. It takes alot to get along for a week, when you can't get away.
Beer is always good also, lots of beer.

DEEZ NUTTS
05-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Be shure the bar is in working order.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830104_0490_Small_.JPG

phebus
05-16-2005, 08:29 PM
That looks like the Naked Turtle Powell style!!!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830104_0490_Small_.JPG

LHC Kirby
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
[phebus]My best tip would be to not let anyone eat beans.
Mainly YOU Phebus. Did you get my Voice mail?
You are invited - however with the surgery and recovery - not sure if you can make it happen.

Dr. Eagle
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
I have done a few of these to Mead. Usually big trips. 40-50 people 4+ Houseboats.
The way we did it was divide the couple up in teams. We were responsible for cooking & cleaning one dinner & breakfast for everyone. Then we were done for the rest of the trip.
Make something for dinner you can prepare early & freeze. Spagetti sauce, ribs, etc. Lunches you were on your own.
Everyone pitched in & all the food came out of the one budget.
It helps to have someone really organized put the trip together. The girl that did it for us always got her trip for free. It was worth it.
Also the best thing we ever did was bring a commercial ice macine with us. A bilge pump in the water for a supply line & all the ice chest stayed stocked.
The most important was bringing the right group of people. It takes alot to get along for a week, when you can't get away.
Beer is always good also, lots of beer.
Excellent tips...
We did the same for three weeklong trips to Shasta. Unfortunately the one 4 day trip we did we had a bunch of relatives of one of the partakers that decided they were ON VACATION and we were there to serve them. So that trip didn't work out so well. Thank god it wasn't a full week.

cdog
05-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Who can post my pics for me? We got back thursday...Had a great time. Thanks for the directions. I need to email someone the pics so they can post them.

Throttle
05-16-2005, 08:42 PM
enough already... kirby and phebus, I am ready to go, but probably in july!

INSman
05-16-2005, 08:42 PM
They have Big Al's Chili from the Corner Bakery Cafe, that actually comes in a sealed bag (3-4 lbs), that is the SHEAT !! get some of this for sure !!
We did a very extensive meal plan for each meal and bought food, supplies, spices and condiments accordingly. The alcohol goes without saying, better more than not enough. The concern without doing the meal plan, is some sort of "free for all" with the food in general and then there not being something there when you need it that was part of a meal. We go Aug 10-19, maybe meet up ?
Breakfast was probably the widest variety meal of all, with lot's of general choices. Lunches were a bit more structured and dinners were very structured. We did anchors aroung boulders as big as houses as you can see.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294IMGP0783.jpg

CARLSON-JET
05-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Try to distribute the 4 pallets of beer evenley on deck.. not on one corner. Leave pets at home. unless they pay. I really like the ice machine idea.. it gets hot and ice gets to be a hassle chasing down. Whoever you go with ..LEAVE THE KOOKS AT SHORE!!! drama sucks when you are trapped with them on a boat. A compass could help navigational whoas. less is more. Everyone has really good ideas so far. I wish I had known more of what to expect.

DEEZ NUTTS
05-16-2005, 08:46 PM
They have Big Al's Chili from the Corner Bakery Cafe, that actually comes in a sealed bag (3-4 lbs), that is the SHEAT !! get some of this for sure !!
We did a very extensive meal plan for each meal and bought food, supplies, spices and condiments accordingly. The alcohol goes without saying, better more than not enough. The concern withou doing the meal plan, is some sort of "free for all" with the food in general and then there not being something there when you need it that was part of a meal. We go Aug 10-19, maybe meet up ?
Breakfast was probably the freest meal of all, with lot's of general choices. Lunches were a bit more structured and dinners were very structured.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294IMGP0783.jpg
Where was this beach? Little rocky.

Throttle
05-16-2005, 08:49 PM
I will be goin for first time tooo!
Freezer bags of food... dry ice?
Lots of drinks...
cool music...
gps...
camera...
what are the temps like in july?

Sanger Pete
05-16-2005, 09:14 PM
We found that there is never enough freezer space to keep food (meat) for the meals at the end of the week frozen. On the last trip to Shasta, we packed the frozen meat for the end of the week in a new ice chest with 10 pounds of dry ice and taped the lid shut--as air tight as possible. If you don't open the chest until there's room in the houseboat freezer, the meat will stay frozen--ours for 4 or 5 days, but I've heard it will keep the meat frozen for up to a week.
Sanger Pete

DEEZ NUTTS
05-16-2005, 09:14 PM
cdogs pics. More coming.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830cdog1_Small_.jpg

cdog
05-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks for puttin those up for me. My puter screws it up. Check me out....Throwin the shocker.

DEEZ NUTTS
05-16-2005, 09:21 PM
cdogs pics
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830cdog_3_Small_.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830cdog_2_Small_.jpg

DEEZ NUTTS
05-16-2005, 09:30 PM
cdogs beach
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830cdog_5_Small_.jpg
DEEZ beach. Same beach dif angle and water level.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830101_0192_Small_-med.JPG

DEEZ NUTTS
05-16-2005, 09:32 PM
1 more.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/830cdog4_Small_.jpg

cdog
05-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Glad to see you know the spot. Did you hike up the canyon? The views were amazing... Of course the wife had the camera on a girls boat ride at the time so I did'nt get any pic's.

DEEZ NUTTS
05-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Glad to see you know the spot. Did you hike up the canyon? The views were amazing... Of course the wife had the camera on a girls boat ride at the time so I did'nt get any pic's.
This was right down the way from you. Pic from last Memorial weekend. Maybe rain filled it back up but probly dry by now.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830101_0167_Small_-med.JPG

cdog
05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Nice pic. It's crazy how there was something new around every corner of that place.

Mardonzi
05-17-2005, 09:56 AM
OK,, I'm back from DSL Purgatory... LHC, I just sent you a PM. Just make sure that any captain service you hire doesn't drive the boat like this...
Well, I would have posted the hanging upside down while driving pic if ***boat ever let me upload even the smallest picture.
TnB,, better stock up more buckets,, that won't even get me through Breakfast....

Mrs CP 19
05-17-2005, 10:20 AM
We divided not only meal duties, but also driving duties. It is amazing how many people do not want to drive...worked well for us.

Scream
05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
On all the big trips we've taken we divied up the menu by family. Each family was responsible for one nights dinner event and one drink event during the week. Monday may be the Flanagan's night for dinner, so we'll have tri-tip, salad, Aunt LaDon's potatoes (cheesy potatoes that are killer). All are easy to prepare and serve. A drink event would be a happy hour, where we might have a martini bar all stocked up with all the fixens, or a wine tasting party, or a shot night (bring your favorite)...and don't forget the kids, they love the kids drink night with all the fruit juice smoothies and snacks.
Foods that need to be cooked in pots, like chili, should be pre cooked in cook-in bags (like you get for roast or turkeys). you can put these frozen into a pot of boiling water and at the end of the meal there is not big mess to clean up, just throw away the bag, wipe out the water pot and Voila, you're done.
Lake water for ice? I don't know about that, I've heard way too much about cryptosporidia and giardia and don't want to take the chance...Montezuma has visited this lake too...
Make sure that work expectations are spelled out ahead of time, if everyone is expected to take on cleaning chores or cooking chores, that needs to be brought up early so there's no misunderstanding. Even in close knit groups, there's alway misunderstanding. Don't forget the firewood, like TnB said, even in the middle of summer there's always time for a camp fire.
Most importantly, have fun and take lots of pics, these are the trips that will make the best memories (and creat the best threads on ***boat).
Scream
Oh, and if bringing kids, remember that if your kids bring friends they wont play with the others, which will piss off the parents, because your kids were supposed to keep thier kids occupied, but arent, so now you're the ah...That's come up, so get everything in the open before hand and you'll be alright...

cdog
05-17-2005, 11:04 AM
That's how we did it. Each couple was incharge of a dinner meal for one night. We all pitched in for lunch meat / sandwich, chips And breakfast. It turned out to $35 bucks for each person per day for food and gas and what ever the house boat cost.. We did BBQ chicken ,beans and corn. Someone else did carnie asada and beans. Lot's of gas on board..... Keep it simple.... Any food is gonna taste real good after drinking all day.

Sleek-Jet
05-17-2005, 11:16 AM
One quick heads up about kids and houseboats.... If the ship has a generator, keep the kids out of the water around the houseboat while the generator is running... please.
Kid being kids, at least have them move up wind from the boat while they play until the generator gets shut off.
Other than that, have fun, Lake Powell gets in your blood and you won't be able to stay away.
Enjoy the lighting shows (Monsoon season) that time of year as well, impressive.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
05-17-2005, 11:35 AM
bring and amp and some speakers, some white christmas lights for the top deck to get it rocking. a very powerful submesible pump for wash down and massive slip and slides with some 6mm sheeting, It is supposed to be vacation but you work your butt off everyday, cleaning, ice, gas, trash. Watch out for the crows in your trash, they are using the clear and the cream, they are like the size of Barry Bonds head. If you fish f the ancovies they work great but are a nightmare to keep frozen and they stink up the joint. Bring poo candles/insense, the boat gets a little dank in the mornings. Best times ever with the right people