PDA

View Full Version : Used Car Dealer issues

HavasuBarney
05-19-2005, 09:41 AM
A friend of mine bought a used car from Continental Motors in Hemet 5 months ago. The reg was good until this month, now expired.
Her and a friend both bought cars, one of the owners thought he was going to get some play and did not. Now my friend is unable to renew the registration on her car. DMV is telling her she needs completed paperwork from the Dealer. The Dealer refuses to help and has become hostile to the point of making threats of physical violence.
The car is financed but the finance company has been very little help, they insruct her to go back to the Dealer. She is completely intimidated by the Dealer.
Any suggestions on a course of action?

topless
05-19-2005, 09:44 AM
A friend of mine bought a used car from Continental Motors in Hemet 5 months ago. The reg was good until this month, now expired.
Her and a friend both bought cars, one of the owners thought he was going to get some play and did not. Now my friend is unable to renew the registration on her car. DMV is telling her she needs completed paperwork from the Dealer. The Dealer refuses to help and has become hostile to the point of making threats of physical violence.
The car is financed but the finance company has been very little help, they insruct her to go back to the Dealer. She is completely intimidated by the Dealer.
Any suggestions on a course of action?Does she own a gun? :cool:

Mandelon
Go kick his ass! :devil: Sounds like she needs some backup....or call the agency that monitors those guys and turn em in!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
tell her to get a lawyer.

lucky
05-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Any suggestions on a course of action? a colt 45 and a some of your russian friends will get the job done

jbtrailerjim
05-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Didn't she get a copy of her new registration from the DMV or does she still just have the temp. registration?

ULTRA28
05-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Call the local DMV and ask for the investigator. They will handle it for her.

Freak
05-19-2005, 09:51 AM
State corporation commission?

R.A.D.man
05-19-2005, 09:56 AM
I recently viewed a news story on this in Austin, Texas. If I recall correctly, the dealer here was not paying the sales taxes he charged in the sale to the State as required by law thus tieing up the title transfer and future registrations. It was one of those local news sting operations and when this came to light, the crooked dealer started paying the taxes and all was settled for the customers. All was settled except the State is now after the dealer for not filing the proper parerwork and paying taxes in a timely fashion as required by law. Not sure if this helps but try verifing if the taxes were paid and a title was transferred. If not and the dealer was supposed to do this, the tax collector should help because they always want their money.

jbtrailerjim
05-19-2005, 10:01 AM
My guess is this dealer did not submit the transfer of title form. He is in violation if he has not. The DMV only gives dealers 30 days to send that in from the sale date. He has to do this! Tell her to take her bill of sale and temp. registration to the DMV and they should be able to give her some kind of answer. He will get his dealers license revoked or suspended if he does not cooperate and send in the forms to the DMV!

Tom Brown
05-19-2005, 10:04 AM
A friend of mine bought a used car from Continental Motors in Hemet 5 months ago.
Why don't you try posting in the ***boat forums about what sleeze bags the people at Continental Motors in Hemet are.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Why don't you try posting in the ***boat forums about what sleeze bags the people at Continental Motors are.
Lets remember something here, Barney is talking about Continental Motors in Hemet. NOT Continental Motors in Oceanside, the place to go for all your BMW and Saab needs.

Ziggy
05-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks HD, never knew another place had the same name as me, I might have to see if he's infringed on any DBA name rights..............Ultra28 said it right---get the DMV to investigate them, sounds like this guy is doing shady biz and isn't holding up to his end of the process.
If she never got any registration papers from DMV they never titled/licensed the car.......The finance company would normally be after them if they never got title/lien........something sounds very fishy there. :confused:

HM
05-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I know the manager of the Hemet DMV. She is my neighbor, and she likes me!
The DMV is way understaffed and backlogged, and they have outsourced a bunch of stuff that has gotten lost...I know, I had an issue with a car I sold and my neighbor helped me out.
I have a great lawyer in that area too.

topless
05-19-2005, 11:20 AM
They barely speak english there. That should have been the first clue.

Ziggy
05-19-2005, 11:48 AM
I know the manager of the Hemet DMV. She is my neighbor, and she likes me!
The DMV is way understaffed and backlogged, and they have outsourced a bunch of stuff that has gotten lost...I know, I had an issue with a car I sold and my neighbor helped me out.
I have a great lawyer in that area too.
Very true. DMV does loose things and it ends up like nothing ever was done........and they usually put the burden on the owner or dealer to fix their screw ups.
I'd certainly see if the bank actually ever got title for the car, if so then DMV should have it on record and can process the renewal. If not then the "Report of Sale" needs to be aquired from the seller and processed. If he doesn't have that he has got a scam going on.

PHOTOGLOU
05-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Call the local DMV and ask for the investigator. They will handle it for her.
Yes they will and VERY FAST IN HER FAVOR

PHOTOGLOU
05-19-2005, 11:53 AM
If you PM me the vin # I should be able to run a KSR (dmv term) for the status of the title transfer and the reg info

Second "PLACE"
05-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Very true. DMV does loose things and it ends up like nothing ever was done........and they usually put the burden on the owner or dealer to fix their screw ups.
I'd certainly see if the bank actually ever got title for the car, if so then DMV should have it on record and can process the renewal. If not then the "Report of Sale" needs to be aquired from the seller and processed. If he doesn't have that he has got a scam going on.
Ziggy---
Check your PM's
---second "PLACE"

BoatPI
05-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Tell her to locate two documents that she would have received at the time of the sale. Both are important to her securing the current registration and documenting the sale.
1. Report of Sale. this is the small DMV form that is attached to the window of the vehicle on ALL vehicles sold by licensed dealers. The RS as it is called will have a number on it that the DMV can use a a reference point to begin the investigation.
2. A sales contract. this is the finance and sales contract, generally a long legal sized form often yellow in color. It will reflect the finance agreement with the legal owner (bank, mouse house loan complay, etc). She may want to inquire with the legal owner if they received the title. If they did, then we know the transaction was completed by the dealer.
One thing you did not mention is the specific reason as to why she cannot register the vehicle at this point, or renew the registration with a 2006 sticker.
I have a 25 year background in this stuff so PM me if you need any other input.

HavasuBarney
05-19-2005, 12:54 PM
She did receive a RS and a Bill of Sale. She says there was no contract that she received. They told her she would get the contract after they got her financed. Continental Motors (NOT OCEANSIDE) also watered down the deal for her down payment. She is young as was happy to get a car with no $$ up front.
The lender states that have have title.
I will have to call her back for the specifics from DMV about registration.
I do have the Dealer number and RS number.
HB

BoatPI
05-19-2005, 04:37 PM
So what is the specific issue, the lender has the title, so the transaction was procesed, and how she does not have a copy of the contract is weird, but NOT related to the renewal isse. So what did the DMV say specifically about the renewal? If it is an odd number VIN (the ending number) it should need a CA emissions inspection this year, and that is done electronically. But the question is the reason for why she cannot renew??? At the most they (DMV) should want to see is the RS.
Even the AAA can answer that if she is a member.

ROZ
05-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Shoulda bought it in Beaumont! ;) :D
All kidding aside, the DMV should be taking this issue more seriously.