PDA

View Full Version : Ramp entertainment

roostwear
05-23-2005, 08:07 AM
We had a great weekend on the river (thanks Vic, Toni, Jim, Donna, Amanda, Chelena!). We launch from Lazy Harry's... a small 2 lane ramp, and other than the all too common Seadoo that feels the need to take up the WHOLE DAMN RAMP to launch, there's seldom any really good entertainment. This weekend was a little different, though. Saturday morning, we launched and went out thru the channel to warm up the engine. Made a couple passes and saw Vic and Toni were in the parking lot waiting to launch, so we headed back in to the channel. On our way in, we see cruiser launching. No big deal, just get it wet, push out, put it in reverse, fire the motor, and back it out, right? Well, not exactly. These hearty boaters DID get it down the ramp, but it went south from there. Notice in the photo where it is marked "tongue" and "fenders". This marks where they are under water. Problem was, they didn't push it off the trailer, they were going to back it off under power. OK, I wouldn't, but whatever. If you do it their way, there is one very important thing to keep in mind. PUT IT IN REVERSE first. Well, they forgot that minor point. He fired up that engine and stabbed it...... RIGHT OVER THE TONGUE AND FENDER OF THE TRAILER! He tried to save it by turning left......ONTO THE RAMP! Apparently he sunk it launching the day before, because he had the boat detailed, and the detailer didn't put the plug back in. :messedup:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2295dock1.jpg
All in all, a great weekend... hours on the river with good friends, and ramp entertainment.... God I love boating!!

Kilrtoy
05-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Some people just shouldnt go boating.......

Dave C
05-23-2005, 08:11 AM
good work. :rollside:
I'm finding that a camera is mandatory equipment on boating outings.... not just for the view at the channel but for the ramp entertainment as well.

Kilrtoy
05-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Why are those people's faces blocked out? It's not like they were making a drug deal.
To protect the STUPID

Redneck
05-23-2005, 08:24 AM
now thats entertainment

JetBoatRich
05-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Dam that boat looks like mine without a scoop :rolleyes: good thing we were not near that lake :cool:

LAFD
05-23-2005, 08:49 AM
So He Sinks It Because The Detailer 4got The Plug? Talk About People That Shouldnt Be Boating.

phuggit
05-23-2005, 08:56 AM
That's good livi'n.
There was some pretty funny stuff goin on at Windsor on Saturday also. I even saw the ranger shake his head and laugh.

Dr. Eagle
05-23-2005, 09:01 AM
So He Sinks It Because The Detailer 4got The Plug? Talk About People That Shouldnt Be Boating.
or needs a super hella mega automatic bilge pump... and to know forwards from backwards, and... nah you're right :rollside:

HM
05-23-2005, 09:15 AM
That guy must have the same detailer I do, because that happened to me after the boat was detailed. Can't get too mad, since the detailer was me!!! Dote!!!
I was lucky in that I heard a funny noise...like something spinning in the water. Turned out to be my alternator (it is mounted real low and since it is a v-drive, it was in the lowest part of the boat). I grabbed the plug and stuck it in, but did not go back to the ramp. Instead, when I got past the 5 mph buouys, I pulled the plug again, and then ran 20 mph until the bilge pump was dry, which took about 5 minutes. Once it was dry, I stopped and put the plug back in.
The alternator was toast though. :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

Nord
05-23-2005, 09:48 AM
I launched without a plug once! I am stupid.
Thats some funny shit!

surfer2001
05-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Why pull the plug for detailing? I've had my Nordic 1 1/2 years & I've never had the plug out yet???

STROKER ACE
05-23-2005, 10:47 AM
saw my ex and her new "man" at the ramp took him 14 tries to back the trailer in, I was waiting to load my boat he fianally gets backed in, the truck is so low on gas that it dies from the slope I had to pull him out so I could get out, the ex never looked at me but I did see her checking out the future ex what a looser

tamalewagon
05-23-2005, 11:48 AM
We had a great weekend on the river (thanks Vic, Toni, Jim, Donna, Amanda, Chelena!). We launch from Lazy Harry's... a small 2 lane ramp, and other than the all too common Seadoo that feels the need to take up the WHOLE DAMN RAMP to launch, there's seldom any really good entertainment. This weekend was a little different, though. Saturday morning, we launched and went out thru the channel to warm up the engine. Made a couple passes and saw Vic and Toni were in the parking lot waiting to launch, so we headed back in to the channel. On our way in, we see cruiser launching. No big deal, just get it wet, push out, put it in reverse, fire the motor, and back it out, right? Well, not exactly. These hearty boaters DID get it down the ramp, but it went south from there. Notice in the photo where it is marked "tongue" and "fenders". This marks where they are under water. Problem was, they didn't push it off the trailer, they were going to back it off under power. OK, I wouldn't, but whatever. If you do it their way, there is one very important thing to keep in mind. PUT IT IN REVERSE first. Well, they forgot that minor point. He fired up that engine and stabbed it...... RIGHT OVER THE TONGUE AND FENDER OF THE TRAILER! He tried to save it by turning left......ONTO THE RAMP! Apparently he sunk it launching the day before, because he had the boat detailed, and the detailer didn't put the plug back in. :messedup:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2295dock1.jpg
All in all, a great weekend... hours on the river with good friends, and ramp entertainment.... God I love boating!!
musta got an "F" in boating 101.

pixilatedpussy
05-23-2005, 11:53 AM
That is sooo funny, I am sure we will see more stupidity this weekend! :p

HM
05-23-2005, 11:54 AM
musta got an "F" in boating 101.
I think he got a
"J" (http://www.bushwood.net/gilmore/happy04.wav) in launching. :D :D :D :D

roostwear
05-23-2005, 11:54 AM
One of my sons overheard him say "I'm more of a bike person than boat person". I hope so......

tamalewagon
05-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Maybe he needs some training wheel on the boat.
LOL...where's Kilr with the photochops when we need him! :D :D :D

tamalewagon
05-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I heard he had to sell his photochopper.
Times must be tough! :D :D

I Feel the Need...
05-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I guess it could happen. I almost sunk my Ultra once...
When I was 17 a friend and I cut school and took my Dad's 16ft Bristol w/ a 70 Merc outboard (without his permission) to Pudingstone. We lauch it and I was waiting for him to park the trailer when I notice water coming in the back... so I knew that if I could keep the boat moving about 10 MPH that the bow would stay in the air and no water would come in. So I go by the dock where my friend was waiting and yelled for him to go get the trailer. He backed it down the ramp and I drove it on the trailer. We put the plug in and ski'd for about 2 hours and took the boat back home. My Dad never knew that I had taken it out and almost sanked it that day.

bocco
05-25-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm feeling pretty good about this trip to tha ramp last Friday.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2645HB004.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2645HB005.jpg

Sherpa
05-25-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm feeling pretty good about this trip to tha ramp last Friday.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2645HB004.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2645HB005.jpg
looks like flaming ghetto's.................. nice boat-! I have a close freind with
a boat there too.. I helped build the thing.......
--Sherpa

topless
05-25-2005, 09:43 AM
When I was 17 a friend and I cut school and took my Dad's 16ft Bristol w/ a 70 Merc outboard (without his permission) to Pudingstone. We lauch it and I was waiting for him to park the trailer when I notice water coming in the back... so I knew that if I could keep the boat moving about 10 MPH that the bow would stay in the air and no water would come in. So I go by the dock where my friend was waiting and yelled for him to go get the trailer. He backed it down the ramp and I drove it on the trailer. We put the plug in and ski'd for about 2 hours and took the boat back home. My Dad never knew that I had taken it out and almost sanked it that day.You told me that it happened last weekend. Now you're changing your story. :confused:

Garrddogg
05-25-2005, 09:45 AM
I launched my old boat once without the plug (stupidstupidSTUPID) but I was @ lake Perris so I blended right in!! then when we were pullin out @ the end of the day some jetski guy left his truck on the ramp @ the water line and it rolled in,toyota up to the headlights :jawdrop: a bunch of us pulled it out by hand and opened the doors to drain it stereo and ghetto blaster all was soaked OWNER NEVER SHOWED we put it in gear and set the brake good and left, we never saw him return before we left..funny shiznit and didnt have a camara.. :D

dmontzsta
05-25-2005, 10:06 AM
That is some funny stuff, glad I dont have reverse. That way I know I need to be deep and pointed straight out before the boat fires.
This reminds me of my last trip to Perris. These guys backed their boat in the water and it just started taking on mass amounts of water, the seats were starting to float. They quickly pulled it out and left it sitting partially on the ramp, scratching their heads wondering where it was taking water in from. So my dad (being the nice guy he is) walks up and asks whats wrong, so they tell him. He looks down and sees there are no plugs, then asks "Where are your plugs?" they reply "plugs? whats that?" haha.

Biglue
05-25-2005, 10:16 AM
I launched my old boat once without the plug (stupidstupidSTUPID)
I'm guilty myself of this. I had to jump into the water and plug it. It took me putting it back onthe trailer and drian it onthe launch ramp. Luckily there wasn't many boats around. Let me tell you sitting there getting looked at like a dumb ass was enough to check everytime.

bocco
05-25-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm guilty myself of this. I had to jump into the water and plug it. It took me putting it back onthe trailer and drian it onthe launch ramp. Luckily there wasn't many boats around. Let me tell you sitting there getting looked at like a dumb ass was enough to check everytime.
Funny how it goes in so much faster than it drains out.

JB in so cal
05-25-2005, 10:47 AM
That is sooo funny, I am sure we will see more stupidity this weekend! :p
I'm counting on it since I don't get good TV reception.

Aqua Boogie1
05-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Well, I got one too. I was backing the boat in this weekend and the ms. had the rope to tie the boat up so I park the truck. Well for some reason, she was pulling the rope to pull the boat off the trailer and it wasn't moving. So I backed in more so it would just float off, well that didn't help either. So I start tripping cause I can't figure out what going on. So Im looking in the side view mirriors trying to figure this out and I notice the trailer is bobbing up and down with the boat, and just then did it hit me, I didn't remove the back straps. So I just counted it up as excitment, just ready to get on the water.................. :confused: :D :D

RiverOtter
05-25-2005, 11:15 AM
One of my fav's :D
http://www.chattanoogaboats.com/images/sink%20suv.jpg

2sand2
05-25-2005, 11:37 AM
I love that one too Riverotter,
:cry: OK if it's confession time I'll chime in....
One of our first trips to the zoo without kids, wife has a new Wicked Weasel to show off, I am to say the least very excited to get on the lake and out to copper canyon. Yup, very important item forgottten... get to copper canyon, get the wife displayed, :cool: start listening to tunes, :) watching the extra scenery in the canyon, :p notice the water coming out of the engine well..... :confused: look at the shelf that holds the plug and there it sits.. :notam: next to it are my goggles, without any one noticing I slip into the water and under the boat to replace the plug. come back in the boat and without being obvious I start bailing water along with the bilge pump running, Get the water level below the floor line before my wife even notices there was water in the boat.... I didn't tell her about it untill at least a couple weeks later when we were drinking with friends and he told some story of something her did that his wife didn't know about, my wife still haunts me about that one.... :yuk:

I Feel the Need...
05-25-2005, 11:55 AM
You told me that it happened last weekend. Now you're changing your story. :confused:
You caught me... You can fool some of the people some of the time, BUT you can't fool Topless!

RiverOtter
05-25-2005, 01:43 PM
I love that one too Riverotter,
:cry: OK if it's confession time I'll chime in....
One of our first trips to the zoo without kids, wife has a new Wicked Weasel to show off, I am to say the least very excited to get on the lake and out to copper canyon. Yup, very important item forgottten... get to copper canyon, get the wife displayed, :cool: start listening to tunes, :) watching the extra scenery in the canyon, :p notice the water coming out of the engine well..... :confused: look at the shelf that holds the plug and there it sits.. :notam: next to it are my goggles, without any one noticing I slip into the water and under the boat to replace the plug. come back in the boat and without being obvious I start bailing water along with the bilge pump running, Get the water level below the floor line before my wife even notices there was water in the boat.... I didn't tell her about it untill at least a couple weeks later when we were drinking with friends and he told some story of something her did that his wife didn't know about, my wife still haunts me about that one.... :yuk:
I'd say most of us have been there at one time :D

I Feel the Need...
05-26-2005, 08:28 AM
One more story... We were at the Delta and my sons launched our Ski Nautique at a ramp about 3 miles from our camp. As my one of my sons was driving the boat back the the dock he noticed that water was at his feet, so he put the hammer down and got to the dock with the boat half full of water. We pump the water out with the bilge pump and there wasn't any new water coming in???, until we started the motor. We had pushed a freeze plug out. We fixed the freeze plug and we were back in biz...

Debbolas
05-26-2005, 11:34 AM
I think if this happens to you.............it only happens once!
(the same with dragging the skag on the ramp because you forgot to put the motor up)
Live and Learn :rollside:
Our "time" was with our SeaDoo, and we ALWAYS check now, actually we just don't take the plug out. (but I still check) :p