PDA

View Full Version : Sunk Boat In Parker

goneboatin
05-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Yesterday around noon down about a quarter mile down from Fox's we saw a ranger hovering around a 70's vintage boat up to the gunwales (sp) with water. It was barely floating. There was an amublance at the ramp at Fox's too. Anybody know what happened?

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-23-2005, 10:46 AM
I got some pics of that, Ill try to post them later tonight.

Up 4 River
05-23-2005, 11:22 AM
I am assuming you are talking about thr 22' Eliminatopr Daytona. He is a good buddy and mine and fellow board member. I spoke to his wife yesterday in Parker and he was taken to the Parker hospital and everything checked out alright that I know of. He was traveling up river just by Red Rock when his boat pitched right. This caused him to be thrown from the boat and into the water going over and the side and bow of the boat. In talking to another good buddy of ours who is also a board member and was there said his outdrive blew. He was not going more than 65 mph at the time it occured. They were able to get the boat onto the boat trailer, but the outdrive was completly shot and they were not sure of the motor status. Please don't make assumtions and I'll post details after I speak to him.

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-23-2005, 11:24 AM
I am assuming you are talking about thr 22' Eliminatopr Daytona. He is a good buddy and mine and fellow board member. I spoke to his wife yesterday in Parker and he was taken to the Parker hospital and everything checked out alright that I know of. He was traveling up river just by Red Rock when his boat pitched right. This caused him to be thrown from the boat and into the water going over and the side and bow of the boat. In talking to another good buddy of ours who is also a board member and was there said his outdrive blew. He was not going more than 65 mph at the time it occured. They were able to get the boat onto the boat trailer, but the outdrive was completly shot and they were not sure of the motor status. Please don't make assumtions and I'll post details after I speak to him.
Whos making assumptions?

Boatcop
05-23-2005, 11:30 AM
The gimbel housing on the Daytona was broken, and there was damage to the prop. He may have clipped the rock bar, tweaked the drive and flipped the boat.
Just one of those things. You either know the river, or you go home with an empty trailer or broke boat.

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I was assuming that there was a boat that was nearly sunk somewhere near Foxes.
Me too lol

slink
05-23-2005, 12:01 PM
The gimbel housing on the Daytona was broken, and there was damage to the prop. He may have clipped the rock bar, tweaked the drive and flipped the boat.
Just one of those things. You either know the river, or you go home with an empty trailer or broke boat.
Was it the rocks on the AZ side just below fox's ?

Waldo
05-23-2005, 12:06 PM
We'd hate to speculate. :D
Or ASSume!

goneboatin
05-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I recall it was closer to the AZ side below Fox's. That's a fact. No assuptions here.

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-23-2005, 12:45 PM
I recall it was closer to the AZ side below Fox's. That's a fact. No assuptions here.
I concur. :D

lost boy
05-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Hope he is going to be alright!
I will not assume rocks or sand bars had anything to do with it, as everybody
that runs big boats on the parker strip know you can do that for years and never have a problem....so thats not it!............so it must be a factory defect!...but I would never assume any thing like that.

moneypit
05-23-2005, 01:00 PM
I think "Up 4 River" was saying not to assume the reason of the accident. I dont think he was saying that you had made assumptions by your previous posts. We all know how these boards carry assumptions about accidents.
I think it last happened on the Cheetah dealio. :idea:

2sand2
05-23-2005, 01:05 PM
We all know how these boards carry assumptions about accidents.
:idea:
nuff said there.... I assume any way... :idea:

djunkie
05-23-2005, 01:05 PM
I think "Up 4 River" was saying not to assume the reason of the accident. I dont think he was saying that you had made assumptions by your previous posts. We all know how these boards carry assumptions about accidents.
I think it last happened on the Cheetah dealio. :idea:
So he assumed that we would assume something other than the truth? Anyways it sucks hope everything works out.

moneypit
05-23-2005, 01:28 PM
nuff said there.... I assume any way... :idea:
Me to.. :p

jackpunx
05-23-2005, 01:39 PM
thats the only rock bar down there.. the other ones are up much further

STVBOY
05-23-2005, 02:04 PM
The boat that wrecked was my best friends boat. I was there when it was put on the trailor. The housing did break by the gimble but he did not hit any rocks. The skeg and prop were fine the prop shaft was bent from the outdrive swinging around and hitting the side of the boat which punctured a hole. He was ejected from the boat about 70ft and thank god he is okay! He was doing about 4500rpm's (75-80mph) when the boat did make a hard right turn and spun out. You guys running huge power through a bravo should really think twice about it they are a time bomb waiting to happen.He is probably the most concervative guy when it came to driving the boat rarely got on it super hard. Again thank god he is okay!!

slink
05-23-2005, 02:08 PM
The boat that wrecked was my best friends boat. I was there when it was put on the trailor. The housing did break by the gimble but he did not hit any rocks. The skeg and prop were fine the prop shaft was bent from the outdrive swinging around and hitting the side of the boat which punctured a hole. He was ejected from the boat about 70ft and thank god he is okay! He was doing about 4500rpm's (75-80mph) when the boat did make a hard right turn and spun out. You guys running huge power through a bravo should really think twice about it there are a time bomb waiting to happen.He is probably the most concervative guy when it came to driving the boat rarely got on it super hard. Again thank god he is okay!!
Any initial observations/thoughts on what caused it to let loose? Glad your buddy is OK

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-23-2005, 02:08 PM
The boat that wrecked was my best friends boat. I was there when it was put on the trailor. The housing did break by the gimble but he did not hit any rocks. The skeg and prop were fine the prop shaft was bent from the outdrive swinging around and hitting the side of the boat which punctured a hole. He was ejected from the boat about 70ft and thank god he is okay! He was doing about 4500rpm's (75-80mph) when the boat did make a hard right turn and spun out. You guys running huge power through a bravo should really think twice about it there are a time bomb waiting to happen.He is probably the most concervative guy when it came to driving the boat rarely got on it super hard. Again thank god he is okay!!
Sorry to hear about his boat, I'm glad your buddy is ok. I saw him in the medic boat.

missboatnam1
05-23-2005, 02:16 PM
hope he is ok.

STVBOY
05-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Any initial observations/thoughts on what caused it to let loose? Glad your buddy is OK
I didn't appear that anything loosened up it was just the caseing by the gimble that broke away from the boat the casting of the metal I guess you would say?

STVBOY
05-23-2005, 02:22 PM
He knows the river just fine and like I said already he did not a clip rock it was not a drivers error it was a mechanical failure!! And if you would have seen the boat in person it is quite evident it did not flip!!!!!!!

mbrown2
05-23-2005, 02:44 PM
That's too bad...I hope he and his boat make a full recovery.

Jrocket
05-23-2005, 02:47 PM
What kind of boat and what steering did he have?

STVBOY
05-23-2005, 03:17 PM
The boat is a 22 daytona and he did have a mayfair hyd arm which was the only thing that was holding the outdrive to the boat.

Jrocket
05-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Was it the Gimbal ring or the actuall housing that bolts to the transom?Did it break at the vertical or horizontal pivet points?Single or dual ram?
That really sucks what happend to your friend.Hope he is going to be ok.What color was the boat?

dimarcobros
05-24-2005, 11:03 AM
I just got off the phone with Up4River and found out about Shawn's crash. Man I am glad he is alright, good thing it happened when he was cruising and not on it. Couldn't not of happened to a better guy, he is always super cautious on the water, never drinks and drives, never gets on it when others are in the boat. Glad he is alright, boats can be replaced but people can't.
I thought he was putting the areson (sp?) drive on?
DMB

Up 4 River
05-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Like my buddy posted earlier this is one of my best friends and I am just happy he's OK. I won't comment on the outdrive since I was not there after the crash like STV BOY was. I also made that comment in my first post because a lot of people on the boards start talking before all the facts are pointed out. It's to bad that people will sit on here and made light of a serious situation. Like I said before he's a fellow board member and has been going to Parker for years. He knows the river and where it gets shallow at Parker. His fmaily has a place right in North Marina Village so he's familiar with the water. I spoke to him last night and he is fine but sore from being thrown from the boat. To answer JRocket's question it is an all white 22' Eliminator Daytona with a blown motor in back. I will look through my pictures and post one later today.