PDA

View Full Version : topock info

riverroyal
05-23-2005, 10:40 AM
ive never been past the sandbar,been going to havasu for 15yrs.I want to see topock,thinking thursday would be good.Is it easy to navagate?water deep enough?should i go in the middle or???also how fast is safe and how far up is it?,,im in a 28ft magic deck...be a nice day with the family on a thursday,,and info would be great,thanks

djunkie
05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Go for it. Its a nice ride. Just watch out for the wake that the tour boat makes. :D

havaduner
05-23-2005, 10:43 AM
I go through the gorge at least once every weekend I am there. This past weekend the water was up quite high, so their was a lot of debris in the water. You'll have no problems till you get to needles.

Havasu Hangin'
05-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Piece of cake...until you get to the entrance (it shallow by the beach on the left).
It usually only got one lane deep enough to get through with a larger boat, so wait til the coast is clear both ways.

riverroyal
05-23-2005, 10:45 AM
in the gorge it self?

bunny 166
05-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Topock is beautiful...it's great and deep through there. Once you get to the I40 bridge, the Topock Bar is on the right....shallow entry, but trim up good and go up for a burger and beer. There's gas and ice there,too. If you go just a bit further up river, Park Moabi is on the left....it's a nice deep channel and it's cool to hang out there, too. have fun!! :p :p

riverroyal
05-23-2005, 10:48 AM
like 20 to 30 mph is ok,just up on plain,stay in the middle,,,not being a wimp,just dont wanna break anything on thursday!long weekend

Havasu Hangin'
05-23-2005, 10:50 AM
in the gorge it self?
No, the entrance to Topock Marina.
The gorge is "mash the throttle and pick the bugs out of your teeth from smiling so much" time.
:cool:

riverroyal
05-23-2005, 10:52 AM
so anyspeed is ok,some reason i thought it was rocky and shallow,so weve never been up ,always waiting for soomeone to lead

bunny 166
05-23-2005, 10:52 AM
like 20 to 30 mph is ok,just up on plain,stay in the middle,,,not being a wimp,just dont wanna break anything on thursday!long weekend
It's only shallow at the entrance to Topock Marina....The gorge is way deep the whole way through :p

riverroyal
05-23-2005, 10:54 AM
cant wait

bunny 166
05-23-2005, 10:57 AM
This is us two weeks ago cruising through Topock...it is so beautiful! One of my favorite spots on the river for sure.... :wink: http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2066IMG_1046.JPG

havaduner
05-23-2005, 10:58 AM
If your gonna go to Topock (the bar) for lunch, you gotta try the Strawberry daquries!!!!!!!!!!!

riverroyal
05-23-2005, 10:58 AM
feeling like a dumbass for never going

bunny 166
05-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Not dumb, just the opposite! Good idea to find out about unknown territory before going somewhere and messing up your stuff!! :) I hope you and your family have a great time! Take some pics!!! :)

riverroyal
05-23-2005, 11:03 AM
ha,a new outdrive might not help summer bills!

Havasu Hangin'
05-23-2005, 11:07 AM
It will be pretty deep (past Topock) all the way to Needles Marina. After that (under the bridge)...it will get shallow in places, so you have to be careful.
I used to go to Avi once in awhile (a few miles past the bridge). It's a nice change, but that far up, it doesn't hurt to go with someone who knows the river a little...
The gorge is a piece of cake.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
05-23-2005, 11:09 AM
are there many coves or beaches past Topock? i haven't been past the bridge.

riverroyal
05-23-2005, 11:09 AM
just hitting the gorge is my guess,thanks everyone,id say i will see ya in the channal this weekend but my guess is i wont be able to park!

Havasu Hangin'
05-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Lots of small beaches...Park Moabi is the first Marina/RV Resort on the left.

goneboatin
05-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Just watch out for the weeds at north end of the lake on your way up there. Just trim it out and haul ass through there, then you're home free.

bunny 166
05-23-2005, 11:18 AM
There's alot of them! Once you get to Needles bridge it can get real shallow, so be careful, just like HH said. We have a place very close to there, so if you ever wanna cruise, just shoot me a PM :D The Lurker has a place right across from NMP,too, and DHO is close as well. :wink:

AirtimeLavey
05-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Where's best place to launch in Needles? Will be in Laughlin, and may drive down and launch in Needles for a ride to Havi. Got a 25'. Any suggestions?

bunny 166
05-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Where's best place to launch in Needles? Will be in Laughlin, and may drive down and launch in Needles for a ride to Havi. Got a 25'. Any suggestions?
Needles Marina is fine. Saw Jack Smith last weekend, and it looks great! They dredged the crap out of it this winter, and the ramps look awesome! I think we're launching there Friday. When are you heading out?? Wanna run together?

AirtimeLavey
05-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Needles Marina is fine. Saw Jack Smith last weekend, and it looks great! They dredged the crap out of it this winter, and the ramps look awesome! I think we're launching there Friday. When are you heading out?? Wanna run together?
We're going to Laughlin late Fri., and meeting some friends from Vegas. Prob. be on Mohave Sat. and thinkin I can talk them into Havi on Sun. Would love to run w/you guys if you're around. It's a kids' w/e (shared custody), so we'll be in that mode. Where you gonna be Sun.?
Also, which of the above do you prefer for launching, parking, etc.? I'm thinkin it's about 40 mins or less from Laughlin?

bunny 166
05-23-2005, 11:37 AM
We're going to Laughlin late Fri., and meeting some friends from Vegas. Prob. be on Mohave Sat. and thinkin I can talk them into Havi on Sun. Would love to run w/you guys if you're around. It's a kids' w/e (shared custody), so we'll be in that mode. Where you gonna be Sun.?
Also, which of the above do you prefer for launching, parking, etc.? I'm thinkin it's about 40 mins or less from Laughlin?
Awww, we're SOL for Sunday....we'll only be there Friday and Saturday; have a "finally home from Iraq and alive thank God" party for my cousins hubby. (It's a good reason to have to leave the river early....) We'll have to catcha next time!! As far as launching and parking, we have not launched at Jack Smith before, but it looks great. Needles is OK if you're there pretty early....parking fills up quick. There is a bad drop off on the right side of the ramp, so stay close to the slips :cool: Shoot me a PM next time you're up and have the kids....ours love making new friends, and we almost always have them with us! :D

pixilatedpussy
05-23-2005, 11:42 AM
If your gonna go to Topock (the bar) for lunch, you gotta try the Strawberry daquries!!!!!!!!!!!
We are going there on Sunday...lets meet up!!!!We will be there with some other folks and their boats too!!!! :eek:

AirtimeLavey
05-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Awww, we're SOL for Sunday....we'll only be there Friday and Saturday; have a "finally home from Iraq and alive thank God" party for my cousins hubby. (It's a good reason to have to leave the river early....) We'll have to catcha next time!! As far as launching and parking, we have not launched at Jack Smith before, but it looks great. Needles is OK if you're there pretty early....parking fills up quick. There is a bad drop off on the right side of the ramp, so stay close to the slips :cool: Shoot me a PM next time you're up and have the kids....ours love making new friends, and we almost always have them with us! :D
Bummer. Oh well, next time, for sure. That's an awesome party to have for someone returning from IRAQ! Very cool. Always glad to see friends and loved ones getting back ok. :rollside:
Ditto on the kids...mine are very friendly, too. Bummed we missed the family day acouple wks. ago. :cry:
Thanks for the info on the ramps. Have a great Mem. w/e. :cool:

bunny 166
05-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Bummer. Oh well, next time, for sure. That's an awesome party to have for someone returning from IRAQ! Very cool. Always glad to see friends and loved ones getting back ok. :rollside:
Ditto on the kids...mine are very friendly, too. Bummed we missed the family day acouple wks. ago. :cry:
Thanks for the info on the ramps. Have a great Mem. w/e. :cool:
You too,hun. Be safe out :clover: :clover: there....

Havasteve
05-23-2005, 01:32 PM
ive never been past the sandbar,been going to havasu for 15yrs.I want to see topock,thinking thursday would be good.Is it easy to navagate?water deep enough?should i go in the middle or???also how fast is safe and how far up is it?,,im in a 28ft magic deck...be a nice day with the family on a thursday,,and info would be great,thanks
Once you are at the far north end of the lake before you enter the shallow part of the river mouth or delta, if you haven't crossed the shallows before just stop, wait until you see a bigger boat than yours and follow it, that boat will dig up the bottom before you, don't follow too close. After the mouth it's plenty deep. Enjoy!

Debbolas
05-23-2005, 01:36 PM
We drove over the bridge by topock and were surprised to see a huge sandbar between the bridge and the pipeline.....

Ultracrazy
05-23-2005, 03:35 PM
We drove over the bridge by topock and were surprised to see a huge sandbar between the bridge and the pipeline.....
It's always been there.........just seems to be a little more visible.....went over it Sunday afternoon with no issues. Not sure why it seems to be more visible, but from the water.......it looks fine.

havaduner
05-23-2005, 03:45 PM
We are going there on Sunday...lets meet up!!!!We will be there with some other folks and their boats too!!!! :eek:
We're still undecided if we are going this weekend, but would love to meet you. Just noticed your Avatar, so you are a duner as well?? As you can tell by my name, (hava duner) tells you how I spend my time.
I'll know by tomorrow what we are doing this weekend.

Havasu Hangin'
05-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Been there...hit that. :messedup:

Mrs CP 19
05-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Yep, about 45 mins or so. Launch at NMP or you can go down to Park Moabi. If you do not know the river above Needles bridge, or can't follow someone who does know the river in a boat your size or bigger, don't go. Our place is about a mile north of the bridge, and we watch larger boats hit the rock bar up from our place all the time. Jill

Debbolas
05-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Been there...hit that. :messedup:
It was NEW to me....we stay in between the pilars of the bridges, and don't usually drive over that bridge to Havasu (as we have BEEN staying at Park Moabi) I was just surprised.
We always park there and watch the local kids swing and jump off the bridge there :D

Havasu Hangin'
05-23-2005, 05:12 PM
It was NEW to me....we stay in between the pilars of the bridges, and don't usually drive over that bridge to Havasu (as we have BEEN staying at Park Moabi) I was just surprised.
We always park there and watch the local kids swing and jump off the bridge there :D
About 10 years ago, my buddy had a big cruiser that we were trying to get on plane...it kicked up alot of river bottom.
We call that the "River Lab Finish" on the prop...

Debbolas
05-23-2005, 06:55 PM
About 10 years ago, my buddy had a big cruiser that we were trying to get on plane...it kicked up alot of river bottom.
We call that the "River Lab Finish" on the prop...
River Lab............interesting.............we have a
"Lake Powell Gravel Lab" on ours.....
and our OLD prop had the ever popular ..............
"hit the huge VW hidden under the water above the Needles bridge for unsuspecting boaters".........
called "Needles Prop Lab" for short.....
:rollside:

pixilatedpussy
05-24-2005, 10:19 AM
We're still undecided if we are going this weekend, but would love to meet you. Just noticed your Avatar, so you are a duner as well?? As you can tell by my name, (hava duner) tells you how I spend my time.
I'll know by tomorrow what we are doing this weekend.
Check your pm's!!! We hope you come out! :D