PDA

View Full Version : Boat towing

H20 Toie
05-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Since i am going to be going to the ocean now it's probably a good idea to sign up for a tow service besides the fact that a lot of the services are modern day pirates which one is best for so cal?

Nord
05-24-2005, 10:36 AM
I can't remember the name, but I know you can contact them via radio for a tow. It's like AAA on the water! I'll see if I can locate a name for you

All IN
05-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Vessel Assit--Saved my ass more the once. Worth every penny, it's only $112 a year

plaster dave
05-24-2005, 11:04 AM
sea tow

H20 Toie
05-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi Plaster Dave i've been checking around and Sea Tow seems to have a really bad rap for trying to make the tows salvage instead of tows and even though you are a member you will be billed for part of the value of the boat. it seems that all the tow services do it but that Sea Tow does it more. If your boat is in danger of being damaged they can call it a salvage and get 30 or 40k for a 100k boat even if they only tow it a mile but they don't let you know until after you have been towed and then they fight you in court, they don't make there money on $200 tows but on salvages.

plaster dave
06-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi Plaster Dave i've been checking around and Sea Tow seems to have a really bad rap for trying to make the tows salvage instead of tows and even though you are a member you will be billed for part of the value of the boat. it seems that all the tow services do it but that Sea Tow does it more. If your boat is in danger of being damaged they can call it a salvage and get 30 or 40k for a 100k boat even if they only tow it a mile but they don't let you know until after you have been towed and then they fight you in court, they don't make there money on $200 tows but on salvages.
Well is F***ed sorry to hear that.

Havasu Hangin'
06-22-2005, 03:47 AM
Don't you have two engines?

Norseman
06-22-2005, 04:39 AM
Since i am going to be going to the ocean now it's probably a good idea to sign up for a tow service besides the fact that a lot of the services are modern day pirates which one is best for so cal?
Out here on the east coast NY/NJ it's Sea Tow. They are nationwide.
I used them in Fl too.

cola
06-22-2005, 05:56 AM
http://www.vesselassist.com/ :cool:
The best money you'll spend on your boat and hope you never use. Other then filling a float plan when you hit the big blue. If you don't show they come looking. :cool:
Late, Mike

dicudmore
06-22-2005, 06:09 AM
http://www.vesselassist.com/ :cool:
The best money you'll spend on your boat and hope you never use. Other then filling a float plan when you hit the big blue. If you don't show they come looking. :cool:
Late, Mike
that float plan he describes is very cool

cola
06-22-2005, 06:29 AM
Dan where you in Havasu this last weekend. I came home last night & it's getting hot. 115 Mon & Tue. Heading back tonight or Thur. pm & down to Parker for Sat. I here there is a party or something.
Late, Mike

ChumpChange
06-22-2005, 06:48 AM
So you're telling me that even if it is only my engine that has gone out, they can call my boat salvage, even with me standing there? And they would keep my boat without letting me put it back on my trailer and tow it to a shop?

H20 Toie
06-22-2005, 07:14 AM
So you're telling me that even if it is only my engine that has gone out, they can call my boat salvage, even with me standing there? And they would keep my boat without letting me put it back on my trailer and tow it to a shop?
Do some checking on salvage it is pretty scary, if your boat is in peril (no power and heading into rocks our beached) if they can keep your boat from having more damage than they can call it a salvage and will bill you for part of the value of the boat (sometimes half) It's quite a racket, but they don't tell you that when you get towed, it's up to you to not sign anything that says salvage on it. there have been a lot of law suits over this and it comes down to the tow operator and you as far as what happened.

ChumpChange
06-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Do some checking on salvage it is pretty scary, if your boat is in peril (no power and heading into rocks our beached) if they can keep your boat from having more damage than they can call it a salvage and will bill you for part of the value of the boat (sometimes half) It's quite a racket, but they don't tell you that when you get towed, it's up to you to not sign anything that says salvage on it. there have been a lot of law suits over this and it comes down to the tow operator and you as far as what happened.
So they're not necessarily calling your boat salvage and selling it off as salvage, they are charging you for the amount of damage that they "saved" you from. That sucks.

H20 Toie
06-22-2005, 09:14 AM
So they're not necessarily calling your boat salvage and selling it off as salvage, they are charging you for the amount of damage that they "saved" you from. That sucks.
Yep they are the modern day pirates. I ended up getting Vessel Assist they will do the same but not as blatant as See Tow

Steamin' Rice
06-22-2005, 10:01 AM
I have vessel assist and hope I will never need to use it. I believe that my insurance policy also has some provisions for salvage costs but need to re-read that portion of the policy.