PDA

View Full Version : Grocery store strike

Kachina26
05-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Many said during the grocery store strike that they would no longer support those stores when the strikers returned. How many who said this are still boycotting the stores? I just wondered after seeing the Beer on sale thread. I don't care if they're giving away steak, I don't go to those places.

Kachina26
05-24-2005, 07:19 PM
I have Stater Bros up here, I also figured out how to shop Costco without needing a walk in fridge.

Kilrtoy
05-24-2005, 07:20 PM
i supported the strikers and they have returned to work so I have returned to shopping

moneypit
05-24-2005, 07:39 PM
i supported the strikers and they have returned to work so I have returned to shopping
Same for me... so WAAAA!!! :D

riverbound
05-24-2005, 07:53 PM
I still do NOT shop at Vons and ALbertsons. They opened up a Stater Bros. during the strike and I have shopped there ever since and I get everything else at Wal-mart. I have never been a big fan of the union nor do I support it. The only people that support the union are union members.

HM
05-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Good question...Kettle corn or just butter flavor?

MAINEVENT
05-24-2005, 08:25 PM
As being a union POS (no offence to anyone bro) Myself i supported the strikers and did'nt hate for what they needed to do... I am not gonna lie i crossed the line if i REALLY needed to, but now that they're back so am I for few things here and their :D

djunkie
05-24-2005, 08:30 PM
As being a union POS (no offence to anyone bro) Myself i supported the strikers and did'nt hate for what they needed to do... I am not gonna lie i crossed the line if i REALLY needed to, but now that they're back so am I for few things here and their :D
Same here except I didn't cross. :(

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Every grocery store in Temecula was on strike. Where am I supposed to shop?
The Stater Bros on South 79, the Stater Bros on Jefferson Ave, the Costco on Ynez, or the independant market on Ynez where the Albertson's was in the Target Shopping Center. I don't even live there and I know of four stores that were not on strike. Come to think of it, I think the Food 4 Less on Ynez also was not on strike. That's five. You've gotta get a better excuse than that Bob. If you didn't want to support the strike, just say so. It's not like you to pussyfoot. :wink:

syke-o
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
i crossed the line during the strike, and still do today...

C-2
05-25-2005, 09:31 AM
I’m still trying to figure out why Stater Bros was seen as the “white knight” in the whole deal.
Brown made a decision that netted him tons of money and they too are already raping the two-tier structure. The supermarket industry, as it was known is gone.
Nothing like waiting in line at Vons Pavilions with $250 in the cart; only to be treated like you’re buying a couple of 40’s at Food for Less. :mad: :mad:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Brown definantly came out smelling like a rose. He was my boss for 17 years. I can tell you first hand what a sh!t he is. Don't get me started. :D

Havasu Hangin'
05-25-2005, 09:42 AM
I’m still trying to figure out why Stater Bros was seen as the “white knight” in the whole deal.
Stater Brothers has also raised prices...we called it "piling on". No need to be too much lower than the (debt-laiden) competition.
However, he did disperse something like $17MM in profits to the employees (union and non-union). The rest will probably go to pay for the new DC they are opening in Highland.

prozach
05-25-2005, 10:15 AM
I am thanking them for going on strike. We now shop at Stater Bros. and save about $50 as compared to Vons.

Froggystyle
05-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Wow... I must suck. I...
A) Crossed the line.. and
B) Think that the striking workers didn't need to get their jobs back. In my mind, they basically quit.
Hot tip to the idiots working in the El Cajon Vons near my house. The reason you were replaced at the cash register in under 20 minutes by a 16 year old is that checking groceries isn't that tough. Memorize a couple of produce numbers, scan the rest. This is not a $20 per hour job, nor is it a career. I worked in a grocery store, I know how "hard" it is.
Pay people for the job, not the seniority. A checker who has been there for 15 years should make the same as a checker that has been there for three. You want more money... move to management.
Wow... I am going to get my flameproof suit on... I was hoping the union would break on that one. It cracked me up to see all of the people who were "striking" working down the street at a different market.
Maybe it is because I am a business owner now, but I never supported unions even as a worker. You either want to work for the company for what they are offering as a wage or you don't. Simple equation. If you don't, you get replaced. If you do, you have a job.
Unions were designed to protect people in the early industrial boom where you had forced employment, underage kids and no safety. I think it was a great idea then.
They need to go away now in my opinion.

Racer277
05-25-2005, 10:30 AM
During the strike, our quaint little neighborhood grocery store really stepped up. They always had great service and produce, but they DIDN'T raise prices, and did add staff. Also, they added inventory. It became an awesome place to shop, kind of a large, friendly, Trader Joe's.
We still shop there. The local Vons and Ralphs closed down. Whatever.
I had friends in the union. I crossed the line. Got terrible service and product when I did.
Now the crowds have lowered at our little store, I enjoy it even more.
:)

Havasu Hangin'
05-25-2005, 10:33 AM
I am thanking them for going on strike. We now shop at Stater Bros. and save about $50 as compared to Vons.
If anything, the strike opened consumers eyes as to how much they were being ripped-off by the big three (Albertsons based in Boise, ID; Vons based in Pleasanton, CA; Ralphs based in Cincinatti, OH).
Consumers have found that other outlets (Staters, Food 4 Less, Target, Kmart, Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart) can be much cheaper to shop at on a consistant basis.
Both Ralphs and Vons have been closing stores since the strike.

C-2
05-25-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm into cooking and am always on the prowl for fresh produce, good meat and selection.
Stater's is liking shopping at Big Lots - lotsa cheap crap nobody needs.
Ralph's just sucks - went to a grand opening store and it was lame, really lame.
Vons and Albertson's - seem the same, except for the shitty new help.
Henry's rocks for produce.
Other local markets - always hit and miss, sometimes good, but when bad, really bad.

Essexive G's
05-25-2005, 10:46 AM
If anything, the strike opened consumers eyes as to how much they were being ripped-off by the big three (Albertsons based in Boise, ID; Vons based in Pleasanton, CA; Ralphs based in Cincinatti, OH).
Consumers have found that other outlets (Staters, Food 4 Less, Target, Kmart, Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart) can be much cheaper to shop at on a consistant basis.
Both Ralphs and Vons have been closing stores since the strike.
Food 4 Less is also part of the Ralphs chain.
" Headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, Kroger operates supermarkets under the banners Kroger, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, Smith's, King Soopers, Dillon, Fry's, City Market, Food 4 Less and Quality Food Centers."

Biglue
05-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Wow... I must suck. I...
B) Think that the striking workers didn't need to get their jobs back. In my mind, they basically quit.
Hot tip to the idiots working in the El Cajon Vons near my house. The reason you were replaced at the cash register in under 20 minutes by a 16 year old is that checking groceries isn't that tough. Memorize a couple of produce numbers, scan the rest. This is not a $20 per hour job, nor is it a career. I worked in a grocery store, I know how "hard" it is.
Pay people for the job, not the seniority. A checker who has been there for 15 years should make the same as a checker that has been there for three. You want more money... move to management.
Wow... I am going to get my flameproof suit on... I was hoping the union would break on that one. It cracked me up to see all of the people who were "striking" working down the street at a different market.
Maybe it is because I am a business owner now, but I never supported unions even as a worker. You either want to work for the company for what they are offering as a wage or you don't. Simple equation. If you don't, you get replaced. If you do, you have a job.
Unions were designed to protect people in the early industrial boom where you had forced employment, underage kids and no safety. I think it was a great idea then.
They need to go away now in my opinion.
Well put. What most union folks fail to see is that a union cannot get you what someone else (employer, companies) is not willing to pay for. Unions once stood for rights and everything positive I believe. Today they pretty much charging a monthly fee for little to no service. It's paying for a lawyer representation is what it is. How often do you need to? I'd rather be able to walk up to the boss and have a one on one myself. Just my .02

Froggystyle
05-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I shop for produce, bread, wine and meat at a little store by my house called Harvest Ranch. The prices are ridiculous, but they have a gourmet selection of the above about 3 minutes from my house. After picking up the important stuff there, I drive to Vons and get the normal consumer items (i.e. beer, crackers, cream cheese, milk etc... ) and save a couple bucks. Not to mention, they have the selection that Harvest Ranch doesn't.
Trader Joes is run by hippies... ;) It smells too much like patchouli and weed every time I go in there.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Same here.

ROZ
05-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Henry's and Trader Joes is where we buy the healthy stuff.... Beverages and more(frequent buyer card ;)) is where we buy booze, Target for household supplies and soda, and Stater brothers is where we buy the other crap...

C-2
05-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Plowboys for meat in Fountain Valley - that place is unreal. Too far away for me :(
Costco is the king for meat, all departments.

Kachina26
05-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Wow... I must suck. I...
I agree, I felt that they quit a good job and then insisted that I be mad at the store also. I only quit shopping there when the rude SOB's went back to work. OK, maybe not all were rude especially to men, but some made comments to my wife and others harassed kids. Like you said, the job ain't rocket science ,you don't even have to memorize produce codes anymore, they're marked. My wife is in a union and all the union does it protect workers that should be terminated. Wait, I take that back, they also spend her union dues on campaign contributions to politicians that we would never vote for.

C-2
05-25-2005, 11:07 AM
" Headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, Kroger operates supermarkets under the banners Kroger, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, Smith's, King Soopers, Dillon, Fry's, City Market, Food 4 Less and Quality Food Centers."
Careful there, don't wanna get HH excited :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

ROZ
05-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Costco is the king for meat, all departments.
We have a great neighborhood butcher !!!! For those of you in the San Marcos area, it's TLC meats and Rodeos for Carne and pollo asada!!! :D

C-2
05-25-2005, 11:14 AM
We have a great neighborhood butcher !!!! For those of you in the San Marcos area, it's TLC meats and Rodeos for Carne and pollo asada!!! :D
Riverside is a pretty big place - but no good meat/seafood shops. Somebody help me out here :cry: :cry:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-25-2005, 11:36 AM
OK, fine, the real reason is I'm not driving 20 minutes to go to the grocery store. :D
Two things. I thought Stater Bros was supporting the strike but agreed not to go out on strike so that the community would have a place to shop during the strike. It was my understanding that it was illegal for ALL grocery stores in the same community to be on strike because it was deterimental to the public.
Second, the Stater Bros on Hwy 79 is nasty. It's old and gross and not well stocked. The humanity that shops there is like Walmart.
I will say this, during the strike, I went to my local Ralph's and spent AS LITTLE money as humanly possible to support a family of four. Ralph's actually paid the picketers to go away about halfway through the strike, so I didn't have to cross the picket line. When the picket line was up, I went to Stater Bros, as much as it pained me to do so.
LOL! I knew there was more to the story. :D Believe it or not, that Staters on 79 is fairly new. It is a dump, though, I agree. It is not even 10 years old (7 or 8, I think) Jeff did the plumbing on it when it was built.
I was working for staters at the time of the strike. There were pros and cons, I agree with all statements made so far, even Wes's ;) .

jas0502
05-25-2005, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=ROZ]We have a great neighborhood butcher !!!! For those of you in the San Marcos area, it's TLC meats and Rodeos for Carne and pollo asada!!! :D[/QUOTE
I work in San Marcos. Where abouts is that?

Biglue
05-25-2005, 11:56 AM
For those of you in the south bay. Go to "LA Venadita" in Carson on Main St. Between Carson St. and 223rd st west side of street. Always fresh meat and the best carne asada you will ever taste......guaranteed!!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
05-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Yes...but check F4L margins....not the same as Ralphs.
Also...if you guys wanna save money, check out Winco Foods or Albertsons 48 hour sales. Albertsons is actually losing money on these sales...trying to get traffic back in the stores.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-25-2005, 12:17 PM
We never crossed the picket line but returned to shopping at Ralph's when the strike was over. Our Ralphs just closed this past weekend. We went to Albertson's for the first time last night and that place totally sucks! :yuk: Looks like we will be doing most that we can at Costco from now on. :wink:

totenhosen
05-25-2005, 12:46 PM
I go to King Ranch Market (caters to the latin market) and the prices are by far cheaper than the large grocery stores, their butcher kicks butt (great cuts and prices) and their veggies are as better and way cheaper as well. What I can't get there I'll get at costco or target.

djunkie
05-25-2005, 12:49 PM
For those of you in the south bay. Go to "LA Venadita" in Carson on Main St. Between Carson St. and 223rd st west side of street. Always fresh meat and the best carne asada you will ever taste......guaranteed!!!!!!
That place is awesome. Their asada is defintley the best I've ever had.

Biglue
05-25-2005, 12:52 PM
That place is awesome. Their asada is defintley the best I've ever had.
Dude did you ever try the ceviche? I'm thinking about taking some to the zoo this weekend. I'm a little woried about it spoiling in the heat. The last thing I need is the shits all weekend. Where about in Pedro do you live?

OGShocker
05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
I crossed, head up and mouth shut, until some POS spit at (not on) my feet. From then on it was head up gums flapin'. I never cursed, just asked "who in the union leadership might be feeding your kids tonight"? or "do you think your leadership is going hungry"? They never had a kind answer for me, Go figure. :notam:

Essex502
05-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Many said during the grocery store strike that they would no longer support those stores when the strikers returned. How many who said this are still boycotting the stores? I just wondered after seeing the Beer on sale thread. I don't care if they're giving away steak, I don't go to those places.
Never stopped shopping at Ralph's during the strike and didn't support the union thing at all. "You're worth what you can get if you walk out that door." was told to me many years ago and I abide by it still. Harsh but true. Look at the union busting that's coming with the airlines. Do we stop flying and conducting business to protest reality. No.

Scream
05-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Deb refused to cross the picket line mostly because she'd have to face the loosers when they went back to work finally I think. I could have cared less and thought
1. The Union leadership blew it and screwed over the members by misleading them and negotiating in bad faith.
2. The Store chains made a mistake by not making a bigger deal out of being open for business. They should have also pressed charges on those employees that acted improperly on company property, in front of the stores.
I watched the news and saw that Attorneys were Helping the union members harass shoppers at LA area stores...What a crock of shit.
When the employees believe, and they truely do, that they should have a piece of the pie without the risk in a business, it's time to shop for new help, IMO... With operational costs what they are in California especially, Unions are pricing themselves out of the labor market and will go away, hopefully.
BTW Froggy, Harvest Ranch markets (3 I believe) are now owned by Wild Oats, Inc, the same company that owns Henry's Marketplace. Should try Jimbo's...naturally or Cardiff Seaside Mkt..good people. (good customers :rolleyes: )
Scream

djunkie
05-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Dude did you ever try the ceviche? I'm thinking about taking some to the zoo this weekend. I'm a little woried about it spoiling in the heat. The last thing I need is the shits all weekend. Where about in Pedro do you live?
Ya their ceviche is great also. As for it spoiling it should be good for a couple days as long as it is in a fridge or on ice. I sometimes make my own out at the river. I live by the In-N-out on western.

Big Warlock
05-25-2005, 02:51 PM
1) How many paychecks did the Union Employees miss while everyone was on strike?
2) If you pay into the retirement fund for 20 years or more. And, within an average economy, your money appreciates at an average rate of 10% per year. How is it you only have somewhere around $1200.00 a month in benefit? Where do the other dollars go? (Many people have accumulated over a million dollars in a 20 year period and would be earning $6,000.00 per month tax free under same circumstances in a private account) (Oh, this is the Social Security argument as well. Instead of putting money into the "general fund" and then paying out "crap" benefits.)
3) How long will it take the strikers to earn back the money they lost in the strike? (While the union oficials didn't miss a paycheck.)
4) Why can't we have the "no worky / no eaty" philosophy of other countries? (Everybody worky there!)
5) Why is it that people who work their way through school, earn degrees, work to learn a skill and start a career, sacrifice much of their youth and then are subjected to the wisdom and yearnings of everyone else that don't have anything to lose?
6) Why is McCain still a Republican?
7) Can I really be a lesbian?
(I better stop now, my meds are wearing off..............)
:boxed:

Kachina26
05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Never stopped shopping at Ralph's during the strike and didn't support the union thing at all. "You're worth what you can get if you walk out that door." was told to me many years ago and I abide by it still. Harsh but true. Look at the union busting that's coming with the airlines. Do we stop flying and conducting business to protest reality. No.
I'm not boycotting the stores because I don't like the stores, I do it to show my disgust with the actions of the workers outside. Like you said, "You're worth what you can get if you walk out that door." If they let you walk, then you weren't worth what you thought.

Biglue
05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Ask the Teamsters where their pensions went several years ago. Many people don't beleive this but uions are still influenced by organized crime. Union fees are a racket, bottom line.

Essex502
05-26-2005, 06:38 AM
I'm not boycotting the stores because I don't like the stores, I do it to show my disgust with the actions of the workers outside. Like you said, "You're worth what you can get if you walk out that door." If they let you walk, then you weren't worth what you thought.
Exactly. Thaat statement to me many years ago from someone I respected very much caused me to never bitch about what I made cause I could always make more (or less) by walking out the door. I worked as a Retail Clerk while going to high school and it was a pretty much no-brainer job.

1h20lowrider
05-26-2005, 07:39 PM
You are CORRECT! Best Carne asada North of the border..Pretty nice produce, just a bit more in price than grocery....!
I HOPE YOU TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY ONLY HAVE ABOUT 2 GUYS THAT SPEAK ENGLISH..The rest speak spanish and some of the guys that post MIGHT GET upset about that! Also they might ask the workers for green cards ,and they play "MEXICAN"(spanish) music, and that theres alot of people that might be illegals in there!!!!

Sportin' Wood
05-27-2005, 06:17 AM
Before I knew there was a grocery store strike, I went to Albertson's on 79. Probably the day the strike started. I listened to the guy outside for about 10 minutes, nodded in agreement with him, said I would avoid crossing the picketline in the future and started to go inside the store. The guy almost started a fist fight with me. I was going in to use BofA's ATM. :D
That store on south 79 was a sh!t hole two weeks after it was finished. It started life as an Albertsons and was bought by Staters a few years later.
I hate Albertsons, That company stiffed us out of about $45,000 in extra's.
I had to go back and do service calls two weeks after it opened ,and I sh!t you not. I could smell the filth of the sea food dept at the front of the store. The gal in the bakery was stuffing her face with cookies, and offered me a hand full talking with her mouth full, about how she had to get out of the bakery because she was getting fat stuffing her face all day.
The general attitude of the workers was that they hated there jobs and and the crappy company that they worked for. I told them they where right Albertsons was a sh!t hole and proceeded to stuff my pie hole with fresh cookies, on the house :rollside:
I have never paid anyone to have a job

Big Warlock
05-27-2005, 07:30 AM
how the companies are at fault? Sounds like Stater Bros. employees made a decision to work and not strike for better benefits. The unions are the ones that walked, but anyone can walk if they want right? The companies made an offer. If you don't like that offer, you should do something else. It still is a free country right? If everyone doesn't want to work for such company, they will have to make more appealing or go out of business.
Sounds like some people actually went to work for Stater Bros. And I really don't know the details of the strike, but I believe that some of it was over benefits. Paying some portion of the medical? My experience is that most people pay some part of their medical.
Whatever you choose to do in your life to make a living, you are fortunate to do something that you like to do. If you are not doing something you like to do, then you should look for something that you do like to do. Hope that makes sense. But because someone or some corporation decides that this is what they are paying in terms of pay packages and benefits, it's your choice to stay or leave, or strike to try to force your opinion. Did the strikers get much out of it? Not really, they got hurt the worse. The union officials never missed a paycheck.
The unions have done much good in the past for the country. And like everything, they have their place. But the unions are typically worse than the government in running things. The best place to be in a union is at the top of the food chain. :hammerhea

hotlavey
05-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Me too. As many times as I could, even when I really didn't need to.

C-2
05-27-2005, 10:31 AM
We can beat unions up all day long and continue to say it’s a free market economy - if you don’t like your position, leave.
But who do you think is building your homes, bridges, roads, buildings, automobiles, airplanes, and even teaching your kids? Not a person who takes pride in their work, but the new style, POS worker who could care less about quality or putting in a good day of work. After all, just how committed is somebody for $7-$8 an hour?
If companies (both large and small) continue to seek the most bang for the buck, instead of quality or attracting skilled professionals, we’re gonna be in a world of hurt down the line.

ROZ
05-27-2005, 10:34 AM
I HOPE YOU TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY ONLY HAVE ABOUT 2 GUYS THAT SPEAK ENGLISH..The rest speak spanish and some of the guys that post MIGHT GET upset about that! Also they might ask the workers for green cards ,and they play "MEXICAN"(spanish) music, and that theres alot of people that might be illegals in there!!!!
People are funny like that, eh? :D Ever seen an authentic mexican food store run by a Chinese guy, and would you want to shop there? :supp: :D

ROZ
05-27-2005, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=ROZ]We have a great neighborhood butcher !!!! For those of you in the San Marcos area, it's TLC meats and Rodeos for Carne and pollo asada!!! :D[/QUOTE
I work in San Marcos. Where abouts is that?
Where in SM do you work?... TLC meats is accross the street from the new highschool on Mission rd about a quarter mile west of Woodland parkway.
The Rodeos is on the north west corner of San Marcos blvd and Pico st.. exit twinoaks and go north to san marcos blvd and go left. it's at the small shopping center accross from the am/pm on the right hand side...
Habla espanol? :D depending on who's working the counter you may need it... Just tell them how many lbs. Aracherra you want...

Froggystyle
05-27-2005, 11:28 AM
We can beat unions up all day long and continue to say it’s a free market economy - if you don’t like your position, leave.
But who do you think is building your homes, bridges, roads, buildings, automobiles, airplanes, and even teaching your kids? Not a person who takes pride in their work, but the new style, POS worker who could care less about quality or putting in a good day of work. After all, just how committed is somebody for $7-$8 an hour?
If companies (both large and small) continue to seek the most bang for the buck, instead of quality or attracting skilled professionals, we’re gonna be in a world of hurt down the line.
Appreciated, but the best workers get paid the best. I am hiring skilled professionals, and paying for it. I pay a guy $75 an hour just to look at designs for structual related stuff. I pay $350 and up an hour for legal. Neither are union.
I know some great electricians who can't get work (or proper pay) because of the union protection of the top levels. Union apprentices make squat it appears.
I have had few experiences with unions personally. Every one was horrible. I have a best freind who is a union rep for the Airline pilots union and we have terrible arguments over this. His stuff carries no water though, and we end up in disagreement every time.

C-2
05-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Appreciated, but the best workers get paid the best.
Not always, which is the problem as I see it.
No comparison between a journeyman carpenter and a $10 hour carpenter; but there are tons of the $10 guys working on million dollar homes. Yet, how is a journeyman carpenter going to compete against the $10 guy - he won't. Instead he'll leave the industry and let the $10 guy have at it. Then we're left with mediocre work, at best.
Same thing with the grocery biz. Like it or not, we need groceries and have to visit markets. Already I have seen a major shift in the attitude of the workers - at least the old school people cared. The new two-tier clerks are only passing time and customers annoy them. Not that big of a deal except for the fact we will have to live with shitty service from now on.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a union supporter, nor did I support the strike. My wife is a baker (yes, an actual skilled profession), whose days are limited in the grocery biz since she is oldschool. She is in the bakers union - which she can't stand. But at tleast the baker's union was smart enough to say we need more money if you want bene's - and therefore, effective immediateky we are docking $40 a week from your pay. No strike, no negotiations - brutal but effective.
I am a licensed professional and agree skilled labor should be compensated accordingly. But like any small business owbner can tell you, it's the tail end that'll take you down - which in this case, the tail end being the basic things we seem to be overlooking, like housing, transportation and education.
As the good Dr would say...we're all DOOOOMED.

1h20lowrider
05-27-2005, 12:00 PM
People are funny like that, eh? :D Ever seen an authentic mexican food store run by a Chinese guy, and would you want to shop there? :supp: :D
Yes I have, If you dont believe me the store is in South Central on 45th and Main (southwest corner) chinese guy even has spanish music BLASTING!
If you want to see comedy go to that store The chinese owner trying to speak spanish to his customers :argue:

Debbolas
05-27-2005, 05:44 PM
One of our VERY GOOD FRIENDS worked for Albertsons, so to support her, I didn't cross the picket line, I shopped at Staters during the strike. The week before Thanksgiving the line was from the checkout stand all the way back around the store to the dairy section!
Vons is my favorite store, I shop there. :D

shueman
05-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Yep, Superior is a Hispanic targeted Food Store owned by a femaile Asian...HUGE volume retailer....

C-2
05-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Speaking of hispanic markets...
Anybody ever seen the "Jons" markets in LA - I know there's one on Third Street before Korea Town. They took the "V" from Vons sign (you know, the big sign out front), cut it in half, and presto, welcome to "J"ons. Ingenuity at its finest! :D