PDA

View Full Version : satellite radio?

RP1
06-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Sirius or XM... why? I want it for home, car and boat, just not sure which one is best.

Ready To Run
06-01-2005, 02:47 PM
I have XM. It has more stations. An extra 20. I got it because it has NASCAR, all MLB games and NBA games. But Sirius will have howard stern soon if you like him. That is why some of my friends are getting Sirius. I use it in my truck, boat and at home. I can also listen to it on-line for free, its included in the price.

GHTRIM
06-01-2005, 02:51 PM
do a search in the sandbar ,lots o reading for yas :D
This thread is like watching the movie "Groundhog Day"....
XM better technology.........

Ziggy
06-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Sirius gets Nascar next year :p :D
BTW RP...I don't recall offhand if your Beemer was prewired for Sat. Radio, but if it was you can get the BMW radio w/Sirius that includes the 1st years subscription.
But to be honest I've been looking at the multiple docking units myself, house, car, boat and now they have a boombox too.

jdogginla
06-01-2005, 03:13 PM
I have XM now, but will be getting a portable Sirus soon, so I can atleast listen to Howard in the mornings while making the drive.

HavasuHome
06-01-2005, 03:16 PM
I have XM in my Denali. Love it. Listen to it going to Havasu all the time. Great reception, even in the middle of nowhere on the 40 or 10.

carbonmarine
06-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Serious & XM have unlimited channel potentntial ( they can add as many as they want ) ... As for howard and any other "personalities" having a show on either service.... Each comapny will eventually cross licences each others material... like buying extra cable channels at home..
No announcemnts yet , because they each want subscriber supperiority,,, Although quite a draw and a lot of hype will come when howard launhces , when Stockholders see that Howard isnt the total solution to Sirrus and start to see stagnation... What what's happends.... ** Can't say I didn't tell ya !
:idea:

EXTRMBT
06-01-2005, 03:21 PM
I have had SIRIUS in both of my cars from day one and have never listened to a local station since. Do a Little research online. Listen online to both and then make your move. It will come down to what you want to listen to. They are pretty even accross the board with a few minor differences.
My vote is for SIRIUS
Good Luck on your purchase

Nord
06-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Get sirius, Howard Stern is going to turn the whole program around

All IN
06-01-2005, 03:50 PM
IF you like Howard Stern--it's No Choice---Sirius Rocks
No Howard= No Xm

MudPumper
06-01-2005, 04:30 PM
I have XM and will be switching to Sirius because of Howard but besides that Sirius plays way better music. JMO

Scream
06-01-2005, 04:37 PM
I've got XM and love it. I don't listen to regular broadcast radio anymore, just too much on XM. XM also has better technology, terrestrial repeaters to help the gray areas and the like. I'm not interested in Howard so that's not been an issue for me.
Scream

Beer-30
06-01-2005, 04:38 PM
I have XM in wife's Yukon. I am debating on putting it in the boat. The deck is XM ready, so it's $100 in parts (Sony module and antenna) and then $6.99/mo additional on the XM bill. I don't see how the quality could be any different, so I will stick with XM, since I have all GM vehicles. Therefore, IMO, it depends on if you plan on buying a vehicle soon, and what would your new veh have in it?

OGShocker
06-01-2005, 04:41 PM
I have to agree. Click here to see why GHTrim feels this way... (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1325127&postcount=4)
XM is far better.

Blacksheep
06-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Can you guys tell me why you say they have better technology? Why does XM need so many more terrestrial repeaters than Sirius? Is more repeaters better? Does anyone know and understand the orbits both constellations fly in? Why did each company pick a different type of orbit?
I used to work for Sirius as a spacecraft analyst (fly the satellites) and I know and understand each companies systems. It's mind bogoling (sp?) to me how people can spout off on a topic when they really don't know or understand the concept or technology behind the different systems.
The companies can only add as many channels as the techonolgy allows them to compress in their own bandwidth. The companies, I know Sirius for sure, will be offering video with there system before too long. They demonstrated that at several CES shows.
In the next year or so, the FCC mandates back in 99-00(Don't remember specific dates) that each company trade information and develop an interoperable receiver. This way the consumer is not potentially bound by the car they buy but can choose their service provider based on content. This is a way to level the playing field and have companies really compete for there content.
Anyway, just wanted to add my .02.

Partycattin
06-01-2005, 05:43 PM
I have XM on the boat and love it. Most of my people I go boating with also have XM. It's great when you tie up and everyone puts on the same station.
I have a buddy that went with Sirius because of NFL. I have listened to it a few times and I think that the Country stations are better than XM.
It just depends what your after!

Raisin Wake
06-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Serious & XM have unlimited channel potentntial ( they can add as many as they want )
Not exactly correct. They only have a certain amount of bandwidth to beam down to earth. they can compress the signals in different ways to get more channels, but, that efects sound quality. in fact, if you listen to the traffic and weather channels on XM, you can hear what a low bandwidth channel sounds like.
As for my preference, I have XM and love it. I'm a huge baseball fan and I love getting all the games. Tons of music channels, talk channels, sports channels. Better hardware for sure. I have the SkyFi for my car with the boombox for work. I also have a xM direct unit in the boat. Love it.

RitcheyRch
06-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I have XM and love it.

ZZ-Man
06-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Get Sirius for Howard he's going to change the way you listen to some great radio ( not that he doesn't already, it will be a little dirtier with out the bleebs).. I love it as soon as howies over I get on Sirius and can't turn it off.

Restless22
06-01-2005, 08:04 PM
I have XM in the Tahoe, and Siri in the truck. I personally think Siri has better stations for my type of music. Plus I have a bit of stock in Siri... Run baby, Run :D

Outnumbered
06-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I think the XM sound quality blows. I have static on some chanels and not others. Its no where near CD quality so I can't crank it up without distortion on most chanels. I am running an AUX input on an Alpine deck in the boat using the standard car XM mag antenna. I'm wondering if I need a marine antenna? They are big and ugly so I would prefer the low-key car type. Anyone else having SQ issues?

Beer-30
06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
I think the XM sound quality blows. I have static on some chanels and not others. Its no where near CD quality so I can't crank it up without distortion on most chanels. I am running an AUX input on an Alpine deck in the boat using the standard car XM mag antenna. I'm wondering if I need a marine antenna? They are big and ugly so I would prefer the low-key car type. Anyone else having SQ issues?
Either antenna should work the same, don't sweat it.
I am with you on the quality. I turn the wife's to local FM sometimes and the quality blows the XM away. I always attributed it to the stock deck (GM/Bose POS) but since you run it through the AUX in an Alpine and hear the same thing I do, hmmm. I have been teetering on adding the boat part, but I don't think I will. I am not happy enough with the sound quality.

Outnumbered
06-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Either antenna should work the same, don't sweat it.
I am with you on the quality. I turn the wife's to local FM sometimes and the quality blows the XM away. I always attributed it to the stock deck (GM/Bose POS) but since you run it through the AUX in an Alpine and hear the same thing I do, hmmm. I have been teetering on adding the boat part, but I don't think I will. I am not happy enough with the sound quality.
I have SIRIUS at home thru Dish Network and run a digital patch cable from the Dish receiver to my Denon home receiver and get a real clean signal on all the SIRIUS chanels. Sounds very nice. I was thinking of ditching the XM and going SIRIUS in the boat just for the sound quality.

Beer-30
06-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Well, I am by no means an expert. It just seems that sat would be sat. If both receivers had clean signals, it should come down the the equipment. I would have to hear someone's real nice system crank out some good sound from XM for me to go any further.

Outnumbered
06-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I've hooked my XM up to my home system and it sounds like shit compared to the Dish Network feed. I'm just not sure if the Dish feed of SIRIUS is the same quality the consumer would get. As far as SAT is SAT, SIRIUS uses different orbits and different compression on their feeds from what I have read. SIRIUS is supposed to sound better but I am not sure it is THAT much better to justify changing service and hooking up a new system :idea: .

GBLASER
06-02-2005, 06:29 AM
I have Sirius in the boat and truck and love it. I mainly chose Sirius because they have football. My kids think that XM has more hip hop-top 40 stations, so if that is the case I know that I made the right choice.

RP1
06-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Sirius gets Nascar next year :p :D
BTW RP...I don't recall offhand if your Beemer was prewired for Sat. Radio, but if it was you can get the BMW radio w/Sirius that includes the 1st years subscription.
But to be honest I've been looking at the multiple docking units myself, house, car, boat and now they have a boombox too.
Yea Zig, it is prewired but I thought I would go the other route to cover everything.

Buster
06-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Well, I am by no means an expert. It just seems that sat would be sat. If both receivers had clean signals, it should come down the the equipment. I would have to hear someone's real nice system crank out some good sound from XM for me to go any further.
Beer, I have XM in my burb with a Pioneer head unit, in my boat with a Sony (the anteana is not even visable, it is sitting ontop of the head unit under the deck) and a roady in my motorhome. I have to tell ya that the only one I would say has poor audio is the MH. Both the boat and the burb have great clarity.
For your Sony you will need two modules if you are already running a CD changer as that is where the XM Smartlink plugs into. Both parts are easy to get online. I got mine at Crutchfield and installed it in a couple of hours.
Ether service you choose I am sure you will be happy with it. There is nothing better then no frickin commercials... :rollside:
Good luck..

RP1
06-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Well I guess I'll put "Ground Hog Day" in the DVD player and read on then :D

Beer-30
06-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks Buster. I am still tossing it around. It's only $100 + the monthly, so it's probably the best thing to do. Then I would have 10 disc, AM/FM, and XM so the boat would be covered no matter what. We'll see.

Sleek-Jet
06-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Can you guys tell me why you say they have better technology? Why does XM need so many more terrestrial repeaters than Sirius? Is more repeaters better? Does anyone know and understand the orbits both constellations fly in? Why did each company pick a different type of orbit?
I used to work for Sirius as a spacecraft analyst (fly the satellites) and I know and understand each companies systems. It's mind bogoling (sp?) to me how people can spout off on a topic when they really don't know or understand the concept or technology behind the different systems.
The companies can only add as many channels as the techonolgy allows them to compress in their own bandwidth. The companies, I know Sirius for sure, will be offering video with there system before too long. They demonstrated that at several CES shows.
In the next year or so, the FCC mandates back in 99-00(Don't remember specific dates) that each company trade information and develop an interoperable receiver. This way the consumer is not potentially bound by the car they buy but can choose their service provider based on content. This is a way to level the playing field and have companies really compete for there content.
Cool, someone I can ask this question to...
It's been said (hell, I've parroted it a few times) that XM's satellites are on a lower inclination, that's why the need the terestrial repeaters to fill in low signal strength in the mountians and where there are tall structures. Where as Sirius satalites are farther up from the horizon, ensuring a little bit better signal. Any truth to that??
Also, I've heard rumors that XM has no spare satellites.
I've got Sirius now and have never even turned on the local stations in over a year and a half. I will never go back to broadcast radio. Sirius has better music IMHO, and some of the talk programs are better as well (gota love Maxim radio... :D )

Ziggy
06-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Yea Zig, it is prewired but I thought I would go the other route to cover everything.
I hear ya, doing the same myself...
With BMW its all Sirius and with my Saab's its XM....I have access to both systems.

biglimoguy
06-02-2005, 10:25 AM
sirius has all the nascar and baseball games i have it and also have three docking stations very happy with it

Blacksheep
06-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Cool, someone I can ask this question to...
It's been said (hell, I've parroted it a few times) that XM's satellites are on a lower inclination, that's why the need the terestrial repeaters to fill in low signal strength in the mountians and where there are tall structures. Where as Sirius satalites are farther up from the horizon, ensuring a little bit better signal. Any truth to that??
Also, I've heard rumors that XM has no spare satellites.
I've got Sirius now and have never even turned on the local stations in over a year and a half. I will never go back to broadcast radio. Sirius has better music IMHO, and some of the talk programs are better as well (gota love Maxim radio... :D )
Hey Sleek,
That is correct. XM's satellites are parked out at GEO (Geostationary) like the DirecTV and Dish Network (Echostar) birds (I used to work with the guys that flew the birds for Dish). That being said, XM's have relatively low elevation angles and are more suspectable to blockage. So they need alot more repeaters than Sirius to get around obstacles. One thing that helps is the power of their satellites. They are putting out ~30% more power at Beginning of Life (BOL) than Sirius. So XM's birds from Earth look like they aren't moving because they are at the right distance to have the same rotation rate as the Earth. So their orbits look like dots.
Now Sirius uses a highly inclined geosynchronous orbit. Their orbit is basically a modified Molniya orbit that the Russians used for their spy satellites. Sirius made some slight modifications to the Molniya and in essence created a new orbit called the "Vader" orbit. The reason for this is the satllites create a figure 8 with respect to the Earth. The cross occurs in over southern Minnesota and the top of the top loop of the orbit occurs in the north. Sirius has two satellites in the northern hemisphere at any one time with each satellite spending 16 of the 24 hours in the northern hemisphere. Given the shape of the orbit and having two satellites in the northern hemispere provides Sirius customers with the lowest elevation angle of ~60 degs. With that high of an angle, the need for terrestrial repeaters goes down significantly which gives Sirius a much better advantage. The majority of the time, Sirius customers have a satellite at a > 80 deg elevation angle.
Sirius operates with 3 satellites in orbit and one spare on the ground. To my knowledge XM has two in orbit and no spares. They are working with Boeing on a new satellite. One other thing to note is XM does not fly their own birds, Sirius does. It doesn't mean much to consumers, but a little trivia.
So when both companies were coming to market, there were a handful of articles that actually posed the question of whether XM was really Satellite radio due to most of there feed to the customers was actually reaching them via the repeaters. It's really left to the customers to decide.
Bottom line, everything comes down to content. That's what people are listening and that's what they care about. There's been quite of few head to head competition done by magazines between Sirius and XM. Both have one different contests, however last I knew Sirius has won more.
I'm not in anyway bashing XM. Both companies need to do well for both to survive. Both are way ahead of the game compared to what satellite TV had to go through and how long it took them to get the number of subscribers they have.
Anyone know that the Sirius solar arrays are in the shape of a cross not a straight array? More trivia...
Anyway, I could go on and on about the satellites and orbits and stuff. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have more questions. I might have some simulation pics that show the orbits.

AlphaOmega
06-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Well God Damn!!!
It's about time someone actually spoke from their brain and not their ass. BLACKSHEEP...thank you for that refreshing bit of information. As for the AlphaOmega, Sirius is it...not any better, not any worse...much better content and music selection. AO uses it in all applications and see no reason for the jibberish of broadcast media. This is not my opinion, it's the gospel. XM is technically bigger, but when it all shakes out, Sirius will end up winning the war. However, choose what you like, in 5 years it won't matter.

Ultracrazy
06-02-2005, 06:45 PM
If my radio head unit (on the boat) says it's "xm ready".....what do I need to get xm-radio??

77charger
06-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I've got a portable xm unit and the sq does suck but ti does the job.I think the xm lacks good rock music IMO.I also like country so that it is good for.I think some of the music is very repetitive.I seem to hear the same songs over and over.Between xm,cd,and fm I can keep busy in my truck.
My advice before you buy is go to where they sell both units and listen to them for an hour if you can then go from there.

Raisin Wake
06-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Sirius has three sats in orbit. XM has three sats in orbit. Both companies have a spare on the ground ready to go up in the event of an emergency.
Here's a couple of links for tracking the sats:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/satellite.html
http://www.stoff.pl/
Here's Sirius's orbit pattern:
http://www.cashflowbusiness.net/siri_orbit.htm

dossangers
06-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Fungas and ethyl and nascar X M all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sleek-Jet
06-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Wow, thanks BLacksheep. That's exactly what I wanted to know. :D

Ultrafied
06-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Beer, I have XM in my burb with a Pioneer head unit, in my boat with a Sony (the anteana is not even visable, it is sitting ontop of the head unit under the deck) and a roady in my motorhome.
What type of antenna are using? A Galaxy or the standard car antena?

Blacksheep
06-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Sirius has three sats in orbit. XM has three sats in orbit. Both companies have a spare on the ground ready to go up in the event of an emergency.
Here's a couple of links for tracking the sats:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/satellite.html
http://www.stoff.pl/
Here's Sirius's orbit pattern:
http://www.cashflowbusiness.net/siri_orbit.htm
My apologies, XM launched their 3rd in Feb, however they do not have a spare on the ground ready to launch. The entire reason for launching their spare SO SOON, was because of solar array issues. See article below.
XM-3 Satellite Launch Approved
SkyReport reports (ach that sounds redundant) that the International Bureau at the Federal Communications Commission yesterday authorized XM Satellite Radio to launch and operate two replacement satellites to support its services.
The replacement satellites, XM-3 and XM-4, will be located at 85 degrees and at 115 degrees respectively. The satellites will eventually replace the existing XM-1 and XM-2 satellites at these locations as they're experiencing technical problems (solar panel degradation). The bureau also granted XM's request to relocate XM-1 and XM-2. XM-1 (Roll) at 85 degrees, will be moved to 115 degrees and will operate at that location with XM-2 (Rock). Both will each transmit at full power, but only on one transponder per satellite.
XM-3 is set to launch in February (probably late-Feb) by Sea Launch. After the launch of XM-4 (in 2007 I believe?), XM Satellite Radio can operate XM-1 and XM-2 as in-orbit spares at 115 degrees for the remainder of the satellites' existing license terms.
[View the XM Public Notice application here (PDF)]
There'll probably be a live feed of the launch on Sea Launch's website. Orbitcast will feature it when it does happen. For now, if you want to watch the archived videos of the XM-1 and XM-2 launches, you can see them here.
Just for clarification, the launch of XM-3 will probably not be noticable by subscribers. This is simply steps taken by XM to fix the degrading birds in-orbit, and prevent a loss of broadcast signal strength.
Now onto the nicknames of the two satellites. From what I've heard, XM-3 will nicknamed "Rhythm" and XM-4 will be "Blues". "Sex" and "Drugs" would've been great second choices, but I don't think the corporate types would enjoy it.

K9Blitz
06-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Got Sirius for NFL, but changed to XM. I had terrible reception with Sirius. Their customer service is terrible too. Several installers told me after the fact that XM has better reception because of their satellite and ground repeater network. So I listen to MLB on XM instead of NFL on the way to the river. It's all good.
Got the XM Roady portable unit for the boat. Just throw it in the backpack at the end of the day which means one less thing to get ripped off or invite thieves to look through the boat while slipped overnight.
Both play great commercial free music. Either one, satellite radio is a must have.

Raisin Wake
06-04-2005, 06:01 AM
Now onto the nicknames of the two satellites. From what I've heard, XM-3 will nicknamed "Rhythm" and XM-4 will be "Blues". "Sex" and "Drugs" would've been great second choices, but I don't think the corporate types would enjoy it.
I agree, "Sex" and "Drugs" would have been cool. But what corporation would have the balls to actually go through with it. :)
Also, XM-4 will be launching in 2006 and a contract has been awarded for XM-5. Both will have new power sources and upgraded hardware...
http://www.skyrocket.de/space/index_frame.htm?http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_sdat/xm-3.htm
I'm sure that Sirius has palns for more sats aswell. So far, no word on them yet.
http://www.skyrocket.de/space/index_frame.htm?http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_sdat/sirius-cdr.htm

Outnumbered
06-04-2005, 03:41 PM
OK, I have come to the conclusion that my SQ issues with XM have to do with shitty reception using the little mag antenna. I have been using the home antenna THRU THE WALLS OF MY HOUSE and get better SQ than in the boat or car. I'm thinking of mounting the home antenna in the boat under the dash out of site. I think it may receive better since its so much larger than the little mag one. Either that or maybe getting the marine antenna. I just do not want to mount that ant on the boat. Anyone have any input?
Thanks

Raisin Wake
06-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I've been using the little antenna underneath the dash with very few problems. The bigger home antenna may work better. If it does, let me know. I'll switch...

Burley1
06-04-2005, 08:17 PM
We have XM in the Denali free for 3 months, the wife says "I don't want it so don't subscribe after it runs out" Well it goes out on the way back from Havi and she is hating life and we get home and she says " Turn it back on NOW" :)