PDA

View Full Version : Highway ?

SUBPRIME
04-28-2006, 02:01 PM
is there anything you can do when your on the freeway and there's some guy in a truck or semi and it looks like they just are hauling gravel, and a rock off thier truck flies up and hit's your windshield and leaves a little star or a crack. is there anything you can do (within the law that is)?

Jyruiz
04-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Get the license plate and talk to your insurance, some will cover it and bill the trucking company, it all depends on your policy.

robk
04-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Saw a situation like this in a column in the paper a few weeks back. CHP said to call in the plate number and/or some ID number (on the door of the truck) and if possible, "loosely" tail the truck until CHP catches up.
Also a good idea to get any relevant ID numbers on the truck and a company name to contact.
Rob

Hardly Satisfied
04-28-2006, 02:11 PM
this happened to a buddy of mine . he called 911 for chp wrote all of the trucks info down followed the truck while on the phone with chp till they got there and pulled the truck over and did a report.

lucky
04-28-2006, 02:21 PM
flying rocks off of trucks are considered Road hazards , UNLESS the trailer doesn't have a mudflap , and you have a pic of it ( gotta love camera phones ) Depends on the company !
Or a Rock / gravel truck that is not Tarpped - once again a pic is worth a thousand words -- If you see a truck on the road and it happens - better get the name date location - Unit # trailer # Mothers maiden name - Drivers licence - fathers ,brothers wife/girlfriends name - a card frome your lawyer and a priest from mahab !
good luck with that --

SUBPRIME
04-28-2006, 02:26 PM
what about regular trucks that just look dirty as hell, not just semi's
does the same apply?

BRAWNY
04-28-2006, 02:31 PM
yes it does apply.im in the trucking industry,these trucks and drivers are responsible for any damages if it came off or from their truck.get as much info from truck and call it in.

dmontzsta
04-28-2006, 02:39 PM
You used to be able to do that. But people started taking down plate numbers and cashing in on the new windshield a little too much (even if the truck did not do it) so it is a lot different now, it will be harder to get it covered. I think they just consider it a road hazard.

79Challenger
04-28-2006, 02:48 PM
This happened to me on the 15 in Temecula. Pulled up next to the guy, pointed at my windshield (with a growing crack), then pointed at his truck. He pointed to the shoulder. We both pulled over. He gave me a card and told me to talk to his office. Called the office and the nice young lady tells me how sorry she is and to send us the bill. Went to my buddies glass shop and he invoiced them directly.

NeedlesNut
04-28-2006, 03:59 PM
This happened to us but we hit the ramp of a car hauler, jacked up the car and the trailer but couldn't find the culprit so just had to eat it.... over 1000.00 in damage but not worth filing a claim w/insurance cuz just gonna raise my rates....sucks!

MagicMtnDan
04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Talk to your insurance company about getting a lower deductible on glass (windshields). It'll pay for itself with all the gravel and rocks trucks are losing on the freeways. Then you can get OEM glass instead of the cheap replacements (the replacement glass is OK but doesn't look like factory glass).

hoolign
04-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Gee, I'll make it simple for all.
IF the "object" comes DIRECTLY off of the truck, trailer, whatever, and strikes your windshield creating any damage, THEN the liability belongs to the trucking company.
You should get the name of the trucking company, the truck number, truck license number, and if possible the "puc" number. Trailer numbers are an "iffy" thing as some companies don't keep records of who has which trailer. Time, highway, and direction of travel.
File a police report if your insurance company requires it or just turn it over to the insurance company to handle it.
Remember, it's your word against whomever and it's more apt to get paid this way than if you try to pull the driver over on the side of the road or get stupid.
I've paid or approved the payment of numerous claims and it's really no big deal, however, if some f*cktard has tried to pull me over on the side of the road or did some stunt driving out on the highway to try and make his point then they get nothing except the short end of the deal.
If the object hits the ground before it hits your vehicle then it's considered a "road hazard" that you should have been able to avoid.
The VERY BEST ADVISE you can be given is STAY THE H*LL AWAY FROM THE BIG TRUCKS. They are dangerous in and of themselves and our visibility is limited. When there are small vehicles on all sides and someone pulls a stupid, there are only so many ways to go and somebody usually gets hurt.
It's just not worth the risk for the little gain to play games and run close to 80,000 lbs going down the road.
Rio
The majority is operator incompotence..driving with an insecure load. Gravel, sealed cargo, strapped cargo etc,, took a deck pin off a highboy through the window once.
.they say the only thing dumber than a truck driver is two of em ..How smart do you have to be to know that what your hauling has to be secured

BigBlockBaja
04-28-2006, 05:33 PM
The majority is operator incompotence..driving with an insecure load. Gravel, sealed cargo, strapped cargo etc,, took a deck pin off a highboy through the window once.
.they say the only thing dumber than a truck driver is two of em ..How smart do you have to be to know that what your hauling has to be secured
Its not about being smart, its being lazy..
But what do I know. Im just a dumb truck driver...
:rolleyes:

hoolign
04-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Its not about being smart, its being lazy..
But what do I know. Im just a dumb truck driver...
:rolleyes:
Point taken! :D

BigBlockBaja
04-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Point taken! :D
:mad:
hehehe

MUDXPRT
04-29-2006, 03:36 PM
You know why they only have one seat in a concrete ready mix truck? So the driver knows where to sit!

lawbreaker2
04-30-2006, 06:48 AM
I think if the rock come off the back of the truck and hit your cars windshield before it hits the ground, I think you might be a little to close. :rolleyes:

lawbreaker2
04-30-2006, 06:52 AM
also ues commen sence, cuz shit happens all the time, I had a drive shaft break off, and I pulled over, cuz I could'ent move, and some body hit it, then tried sued me, they said it was a road hazard and he should off seen it. this was like 15 min after it happend, did about $3000 worth to his car, oh well hang up and drive. :hammerhea