PDA

View Full Version : Lift/wheels/tires for '05 Tahoe Z71????

MOBrien
06-03-2005, 02:44 PM
2005 Tahoe Z71-----
looking to maybe do a gentle lift and rims/tires.
Any suggestions?

Wonderboy
06-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Just don't do anything ProComp!!!!

MOBrien
06-04-2005, 08:01 PM
why is that?...do tell.

tahitijet
06-04-2005, 08:19 PM
I'll agree with wonderboy here.. We actually don't do anything 4wheel part/trans america. at least in the lift department. I have fixed my fair share of broken 4-6" pro-comp, and super lifts and these were on street only trucks.

Wonderboy
06-04-2005, 10:30 PM
I'll agree with wonderboy here.. We actually don't do anything 4wheel part/trans america. at least in the lift department. I have fixed my fair share of broken 4-6" pro-comp, and super lifts and these were on street only trucks.
That's what I've heard from anyone who's ever owned a pro-comp lift. They always break.

XtrmWakeborder
06-06-2005, 03:35 PM
cst or rcd are what i have been told.

RidinRed
06-06-2005, 07:01 PM
CSD & RCD are 6" minimum lift though, is this correct? other options are Fabech which gets their share of bad lip and about 5". Or Rancho, which is probably most expensive but only 4" kit. Anyone wanna chime in with my thought process? I am looking at the same things for the Avalanche.

XtrmWakeborder
06-07-2005, 11:21 AM
If i remember correctly rcd is 6 in front and 4 in back and cst is 8 in front and 6 in back. If you want 35's you can go any lower than 6" with a suspension lift.

slingingsmoke
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
If i remember correctly rcd is 6 in front and 4 in back and cst is 8 in front and 6 in back. If you want 35's you can go any lower than 6" with a suspension lift.
I second the notion. Take it from someone who knows!
Friends don't let friends buy Procomp, Fabteck, almost everything sold @ 4-wheel parts.
Stick w/ CST or RCD. and definitely dont go less than 6" to run 35" tires. Also set aside at least $500.00 to re-gear the rear end. Unless you want to fork out a couple of grand for a new tranny in 15,000 miles.
JON.

MOBrien
06-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Since this is my wife's daily driver and we've got very little kids (3 and under), I'm actually thiniking that I just want to beef this thing up MILDLY. I can't make it too tough for her to get the kids in & out or else she'll kick my arse. The 6" lift and 35's is probably overboard for her taste. Any advice on a more mellow direction that will give it a healthier stance?
As for the gearing and tranny issue....I opted to find one with 4.10's and it does have a tranny cooler....
Thanks!
Mike

RidinRed
06-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Granted 4WP isn't known for the best shtuff on the market. I have had 2 K3500's w/ their kits, 1 fabtech & 1 ProComp. Both were fine when i sold them w/ over 120k miles. now if this something for offroad at speed (i.e. Desert running) you better look somewhere else. As a daily driver for the lady I think it is not a bad choice. Plus i ask which one RCD or CST you have to swap drive lines in the front for another $800+-?

RAW DEAL
06-09-2005, 06:39 AM
be careful. most 05 suv come with stabilitrac. if you have this i would not recomend lifting it. check with all of the susension manufactures on this. they will tell you dont do it. they say dont even change tire size. i know shops out there will install it not knowing what the f they are doing. know two peeps with major problems after lifting. going around off ramps and brakes apply automaticly.early 05's might not have it if they were ordered in 04. but after that stabilitrac is standard on all suvs.

XtrmWakeborder
06-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Granted 4WP isn't known for the best shtuff on the market. I have had 2 K3500's w/ their kits, 1 fabtech & 1 ProComp. Both were fine when i sold them w/ over 120k miles. now if this something for offroad at speed (i.e. Desert running) you better look somewhere else. As a daily driver for the lady I think it is not a bad choice. Plus i ask which one RCD or CST you have to swap drive lines in the front for another $800+-?
I think cst requires the lengthened driveline...rcd doesnt. You could always go for a 3" body lift.... i've heard of overheating problems because the airflow is restricted to the radiator when you body lift it. But it may not be the case

slingingsmoke
06-09-2005, 11:04 PM
be careful. most 05 suv come with stabilitrac. if you have this i would not recomend lifting it. check with all of the susension manufactures on this. they will tell you dont do it. they say dont even change tire size. i know shops out there will install it not knowing what the f they are doing. know two peeps with major problems after lifting. going around off ramps and brakes apply automaticly.early 05's might not have it if they were ordered in 04. but after that stabilitrac is standard on all suvs.
VERY good point..

4DAY4PLAY
06-10-2005, 08:59 AM
In January I lifted my wifes 05 suburban 2500. I went with a 4" CST spindle lift, and run 285's. BFG A/T...with 17" chrome helos(same as frenchies new wheels) mild lift but looks good. I will try to post pics.. lift/wheels/tires cost me about $2500 OTD...at carli suspension on Orange, who i would highly recommend...PM me if you have any questions...