PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Wes and Trident Boats

Infomaniac
06-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Had a blast with you guys last week. Wes flew me out on Wed. to help them get the engine ready for dyno runs and get the dyno test done. I honestly did not think we would get the dyno test done on Friday when we showed up to Superior Automotive with the engine. But Wes proved that keeping your head down and staying on task gets it done.
I had a blast even though you worked me like a dog LOL. The guys at Trident are true pros. What a successful week. Wes is a first class host.
Family and I are loading up the Ultra and headed to the lake.
Here is a couple of pics. No one from Trident in the pics.
http://moritzmachine.com/On Dyno.jpg
http://moritzmachine.com/On Dyno2.jpg

Blown 472
06-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Nice motta, you going to put the numbers up?? bitchen chivvy in the back ground too.

steelcomp
06-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Ron, is that you in the second pic??

Infomaniac
06-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Maybe Wes will chime in. He has the dyno sheets.
We only pulled it to 5,800 RPM and it made 918.9 HP and 832 ft/lbs of torque at that RPM. Had a 9 lb setting on the waste gates still pump gas friendly. Never found peak HP. Was really no reason to continue as the objective was a fuel/ignition map so the water tests can begin. Not trying to set the high score. What was impressive is the torque only varied 100 ft/lbs from 3,300 to 5,800 RPM
The engine will be run in the boat around 5,400 RPM and with less boost.

wsuwrhr
06-05-2005, 07:38 AM
bitchen chivvy in the back ground too.
I was thinking the same thing.
Brian

Infomaniac
06-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Ron, is that you in the second pic??
Nope, I was taking the pics. Wes has the pics with me in them. Soon as he finds this thread maybe he will post some.

Blown 472
06-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Maybe Wes will chime in. He has the dyno sheets.
We only pulled it to 5,800 RPM and it made 918.9 HP and 832 ft/lbs of torque at that RPM. Had a 9 lb setting on the waste gates still pump gas friendly. Never found peak HP. Was really no reason to continue as the objective was a fuel/ignition map so the water tests can begin. Not trying to set the high score. What was impressive is the torque only varied 100 ft/lbs from 3,300 to 5,800 RPM
The engine will be run in the boat around 5,400 RPM and with less boost.
Cool, are the turbos water cooled?

wsuwrhr
06-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Cool, are the turbos water cooled?
In case Info doesn't answer, yes they are.
They have water jackets.
Blown, your sig line has me laughing.
Brian

steelcomp
06-05-2005, 07:56 AM
In case Info doesn't answer, yes they are.
They have water jackets.
Blown, your sig line has me laughing.
Brian
I think that's what that big -10 line right in the top of the turbo is. :rolleyes:

Mrs.Racer277
06-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Sounds like a successful trip Info. Thanks for sharing the pics. Have a great day on the lake with the family. When will we be seeing you again??

Ziggy
06-05-2005, 08:53 AM
I was thinking the same thing.
Brian
Same here, and I'm not even a Chevy fan.

boater72
06-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Had a blast with you guys last week. Wes flew me out on Wed. to help them get the engine ready for dyno runs and get the dyno test done. I honestly did not think we would get the dyno test done on Friday when we showed up to Superior Automotive with the engine. But Wes proved that keeping your head down and staying on task gets it done.
I had a blast even though you worked me like a dog LOL. The guys at Trident are true pros. What a successful week. Wes is a first class host.
Family and I are loading up the Ultra and headed to the lake.
Here is a couple of pics. No one from Trident in the pics.
http://moritzmachine.com/On Dyno.jpg
http://moritzmachine.com/On Dyno2.jpg
Ron
Is that in Superior in Anaheim? If so you should have called me as I can throw a rock at there shop from my house. Would have been great to get together somewhere other than the track.
Jeff

Mrs.Racer277
06-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Ron
Is that in Superior in Anaheim? If so you should have called me as I can throw a rock at there shop from my house. Would have been great to get together somewhere other than the track.
Jeff
Yes it is. :)

superdave013
06-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Ron, what a cock you are. lol You were just blocks from the house and didn't even let me know you were here. I even talked to Wes on Friday when he was stressing on welding some new bungs in the oil pan.

HighRoller
06-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Okay, I've been AWOL for a while. Why the switch from the Whipple to the turbos?

*BN*
06-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Okay, I've been AWOL for a while. Why the switch from the Whipple to the turbos?
Look for the tread that has something 1,000,000,000 posts / views. :eat:

Infomaniac
06-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Wow guys. I know everyone lives in CA but did not know all of you lived in Anaheim. LOL
I thought Wes mentioned I was there SD.
There was not really any play time. I wish I could have hooked up with everyone. Work long hours and even dinner was very late each day. Maybe next time?

Froggystyle
06-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Wow... what a week!
We really had a great time with you here Ron. That was a pretty good thrash getting everything done in time for the pull, but the results were well worth it in my opinion.
918 hp is nothing to sneeze at. The most impressive thing I saw was the fact that there was no horsepower curve... it was a straight line headed for the moon. At 5800 there was exactly zero sign that it was rolling over at all. We definitely stopped it short of full potential.
Not to mention that the Superior dyno is notoriously stingy. Not real motor-builder freindly if you know what I mean. I think they call it the "humbler". People with big numbers elsewhere just don't pull them there. The load cell that they have damn near stops the engine cold when they give it the spurs at full throttle.
Like Ron said, the important number is the torque, and with over 700 foot pounds at 3000 rpm, this thing is going to absolutely slay out of the hole, pulling up skiers, boating with a large load of people etc...
We are now waiting on exhaust. Hopefully you will see us on the road on Wednesday for the trip back to Bassani and coming home with a watertight boat!
Thanks again for everything Ron. You are a true professional who really reached down and pulled some stuff out when time was critical.
The pics are all at home. The dyno pull video is in my home theater right now on constant play! I will come up with some tomorrow.
You should post the pics of the after-dyno party at Pizza Port. That was too funny.
"Is that thing hooked up???"

Infomaniac
06-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks Wes,
I will post a pic of the celebration party later tonite when I get home.
You thought it was fummy when I said your truck will look like a twin turbo rear engine machine. Until the dude asked if it was hooked up. LOL

Infomaniac
06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Here you go man. Pizza Port pics. Mike is the camera W H O R E.
http://moritzmachine.com/Celebrate.jpg
http://moritzmachine.com/Celebrate2.jpg
http://moritzmachine.com/Celebrate3.jpg

HM
06-06-2005, 08:06 PM
918 hp is nothing to sneeze at. The most impressive thing I saw was the fact that there was no horsepower curve... it was a straight line headed for the moon. At 5800 there was exactly zero sign that it was rolling over at all. We definitely stopped it short of full potential.
Not to mention that the Superior dyno is notoriously stingy. Not real motor-builder freindly if you know what I mean. I think they call it the "humbler". People with big numbers elsewhere just don't pull them there. The load cell that they have damn near stops the engine cold when they give it the spurs at full throttle.
Those guys rebuilt my blown mouse. Great shop, and that Dyno is definitely the humbler. I seen quite a few people leave pissed off at coming 100-200 HP short of what they expected. so, for you to get 918 on that Dyno is very impressive.
Cool shop that has both a motor dyno and a wheel dyno (not very useful for boats.)
Question....since you guys have been working with Carson on the twin turbo, how come you did not use his dyno? (besides another hour drive, one way) His dyno is known for testing high HP motors very reliably.

DogHouse
06-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Didn't see the other thread with all the posts, but I'll throw out a guess:
Maybe they wanted something more efficient... That always gets Dustin all riled up!
:D

NorCal Gameshow
06-06-2005, 08:31 PM
whoever supplies TRIDENT with zip-ties is gonna be rich.. :cool: :D