PDA

View Full Version : Engine upgrade complete thanks to my fellow boaters

ECeptor
04-29-2006, 06:38 PM
IÂ’d like to say thanks to all my fellow boaters who helped me with technical advice or parts on my winter 454 upgrade. I just finished the last touches on the engine a few minutes ago and hope to get it wet tomorrow. The whole project started because I measured low compression on cylinder #4 when winterizing last fall. I pulled the head in January and discovered a huge crack. Ultimately the cracked was most likely caused by a clogged oil cooler (donÂ’t forget to change your impellers!) that lead to overheating. So my quest for cheap power began. All of my parts and 99% of my advice came from ***boat, Midwest Boat Party and Off-Shore Only members! HereÂ’s the specific thanks to those who helped:
- Chevy 781 heads w/ larger 1.88” exhaust valves – thanks Ray! (MWBP, Wichita)
- Valve springs to fit the heads existing machining – thanks Chris! (HP, aka cstraub, Tenn)
- Edelbrock Performer 2.0 intake – thanks Randy (HB, aka V1800J, Texas)
- Stock exhaust from 496HO – thanks Leon! (HB, aka FRENCHIE, Cali)
- Thanks also to Ray @ Raylar for providing dyno proven data on how good the stock 496 exhausts are and how much of an upgrade
*** But the biggest thanks goes to Loren (aka CarnivalRide) for loaning me tools and fielding my nearly daily questions. Loren knows BBCs inside and out and his advice on this project was beyond invaluable!
Thanks again guys!!!
Ed
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3036upgrade_2.jpg

a catered life
04-29-2006, 08:32 PM
i'm not the tecky engine guy but i want to do some upgrades to my 454.....what kind of exhaust and air intake is that you using?

ECeptor
04-30-2006, 08:28 AM
i'm not the tecky engine guy but i want to do some upgrades to my 454.....what kind of exhaust and air intake is that you using?
Intake is an Edelbrock Performer 2.0 which I chose because I got a good deal on a used one. Given $300, I would have gotten a Performer RPM AirGap. Exhaust is a stock take-off a 496HO.

Raylar
04-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Congrats on a job well done and a nifty use of parts and a simple budget for what should be some goods results. Very smart!
Ray @ Raylar

cstraub
05-01-2006, 05:33 AM
Eceptor,
Your quite welcome.

a catered life
05-01-2006, 05:55 AM
thanks for the info but i got one more question? was headers a option or not and if not why?

ECeptor
05-01-2006, 08:57 AM
thanks for the info but i got one more question? was headers a option or not and if not why?
"true" headers were not an option because of cost - several thoulsand $$$ for a set of double wall headers. I don't like the idea of single wall headers (which tend to be cheaper - but not cheap) with water injection close to the exhaust port because of reversion. I don't know if that would be an issue with my stock cam, but I really don't like that design in a boat like mine. I would use them in an over the transom V-drive.
Leon made me a great deal on his 496 take-offs and I able to bring them home as checked luggage after meeting up with him in Corona (I was on a business trip and was simply lucky to be near him).
Read Ray's exhaust info in post #14. (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118237&page=1&highlight=Ray+Raylar)

FRENCHIE
05-01-2006, 12:20 PM
"true" headers were not an option because of cost - several thoulsand $$$ for a set of double wall headers. I don't like the idea of single wall headers (which tend to be cheaper - but not cheap) with water injection close to the exhaust port because of reversion. I don't know if that would be an issue with my stock cam, but I really don't like that design in a boat like mine. I would use them in an over the transom V-drive.
Leon made me a great deal on his 496 take-offs and I able to bring them home as checked luggage after meeting up with him in Corona (I was on a business trip and was simply lucky to be near him).
Read Ray's exhaust info in post #14. (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118237&page=1&highlight=Ray+Raylar)
congrats...glad it all worked out!! no problem!!!!!
:cool:

MOBrien
05-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Nice work ECeptor. So how was the water test? Results? Very interested to know how the comparison of old vs. new came out.

ECeptor
05-01-2006, 01:01 PM
congrats...glad it all worked out!! no problem!!!!!
:cool:
I didn't need the elbows, so if you ever need them back just let me know. I'll send the rest of the roll of duct tape back at the same time! :D

ECeptor
05-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Nice work ECeptor. So how was the water test? Results? Very interested to know how the comparison of old vs. new came out.
No water test yet...at work from 8-4 yesterday. :cry:
I plan to run it easy (4k rpm or less) for the first hour, then change engine and outdrive oil, then run easy for another hour before I put the hurt on it.
Hopefully then I'll move into prop testing. Should have no problem going up at least 2" pitch.