PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Soon!

Froggystyle
06-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Ok folks... This is for all of you GM techs. (Ford guys... I don't wanna hear about it.. ;) )
I have a Duramax 2wd Alison in a 2002 Chevy Silverado. I have a Bassani Exhaust, Edge Performance/Diesel Dynamics Juice and Attitude and a K&N KIPK. The truck just turned 39K.
I am a nazi about maintenance, and do the oil, fuel filter, rear end and tranny oil regularly. I just got this Service Engine soon light lit though, and it appears to have really degraded my performance. When you floor it, there is no big black smoke any more on level 5/5 and it certainly doesn't pull as hard.
Any way to pull a code, or reset the light without a dealership visit? Nothing on the truck is warrantied with the C-notched rear frame and engine mods, and I fear they will see me coming on a bill.
Help please!

WUTWZAT
06-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Trust me your better of with the GM, but besides that, most local auto parts stores will put a scanner on your truck these days and pull your codes in hopes of selling you parts. Try an Auto Zone for example.
Resetting your light, I am not model specific on this but to reset the codes and check engine light, most time all you need to do is disconnect the negative battery terminal post, and then insert the key and turn the key and hold it in the backwards accs position of 10+ seconds. You will feel that you can hold it turned backwards a little more than it will normally sit on its own. Also some times their may be a sequece of turn the key backwards hold for 10 seconds and turn the key as if you were starting it for 10 seconds and then turn all the way backagain for 10 seconds. I would advise a web search on the topic you'd be surprised by what you can find. Id search "duramax check engine code reset 2002" or something similar.
Good luck, at least its just a light, my ford blew the spark plugs outta the heads like a speedfreak spits out teeth. But I would definatley try and get the codes pulled before resetting them, the little chain stores do it for free in hopes of selling you those parts.
Jason

Kachina26
06-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Go to autozone and get the code, DO NOT LET THEM CLEAR IT!!! There may be diagnostic information saved that will help the tech that works on your truck if we can't get it figured out here. When you get the code, post it and I'll check it out. I have access to all the info I need here at home.

Infomaniac
06-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Is this the engine under the hood or the twin turbo engine in the bed?

Beer-30
06-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Don't sweat the warranty stuff. Mine is notched and has headers, K&N, MSD, and they don't even question it. When mine was under warranty, it went in for a coolant leak at the intake manifold. They pulled the intake and ended up dropping a bolt down the intake passage. Fired it and broke a piston. They pulled the head and put a new piston in. Never squaked about the headers or anything.

Kachina26
06-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Nothing on the truck is warrantied with the C-notched rear frame and engine mods, and I fear they will see me coming on a bill.
Help please!
Plenty of your warranty remains. Unless the manufacturer can prove that the modification was a direct cause of the failure, they cannot deny the warranty claim. If a glowplug relay failed, then it would be a warrantable item and would cost far more to fight than to fix if you pushed the issue.

tahitijet
06-12-2005, 11:36 AM
I agree.. they can only void portions of your warranty directly related to your modifcation. for example you say you have a notch so your lowered. obviously your suspesnion and frame warrantys are toast, but the rest of your warranty is intact. If your service light isn't a direct result of something you modified they have to warranty it.. They will most likely try to tell you otherwise but fact is they have to. SEMA can be your friend in these matters.
One item I know you may have trouble with is on gas motors GM is not warranting those commen tranny issues in the 03,04,05 model trucks if you have a K&N filter. something about the oil in the filter clogging the MAS and causing the tranny to act up.

Froggystyle
06-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Go to autozone and get the code, DO NOT LET THEM CLEAR IT!!! There may be diagnostic information saved that will help the tech that works on your truck if we can't get it figured out here. When you get the code, post it and I'll check it out. I have access to all the info I need here at home.
Thanks. I will see if I can squeak out of here and get the code pulled.
Keep in mind, this is not a check engine light, but a Service Engine Soon light.
I suspect that one of the service intervals for the fuel filter or otherwise has come and gone and even though I did the majority of the recommended service in the manual and then some I didn't reset the computer when I did it. I read about the "Change Oil Soon" light reset and did that one.
Thanks again everyone.
Wes

Kachina26
06-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I will see if I can squeak out of here and get the code pulled.
Keep in mind, this is not a check engine light, but a Service Engine Soon light.
I suspect that one of the service intervals for the fuel filter or otherwise has come and gone and even though I did the majority of the recommended service in the manual and then some I didn't reset the computer when I did it. I read about the "Change Oil Soon" light reset and did that one.
Thanks again everyone.
Wes
"Service Engine Soon" is a misnomer and I hate it. The ses light is a malfunction indicator and has no relation to maintenance.

Steamin' Rice
06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I have a 2001 2500HD with the 8.1L/Allison combo and my SES light is also on.. I pulled the code using a scanner from autozone and it is a cam shaft position sensor error.. Any ideas? I guess I'll take it in to the dealer to get it checked out.

Kachina26
06-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I have a 2001 2500HD with the 8.1L/Allison combo and my SES light is also on.. I pulled the code using a scanner from autozone and it is a cam shaft position sensor error.. Any ideas? I guess I'll take it in to the dealer to get it checked out. Are you sure it's a cam positon error? We've had 2 crank position ones this week on the 8.1 . What is the code # ?

charlyox
06-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Is the light orange or red?
You probably overboosted the turbo. And from what it sounds like, he spun the Allison! You should never run the Juice on level 5 under heavy loads like those that would produce the heavy black smoke he mentions. Hope he has another $4000 to repair and upgrade the Allison to handle all the power he beat her with!
:)

Froggystyle
06-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Is the light orange or red?
He probably overboosted the turbo. And from what it sounds like, he spun the Allison! You should never run the Juice on level 5 under heavy loads like those that would produce the heavy black smoke he mentions. Hope he has another $4000 to repair and upgrade the Allison to handle all the power he beat her with!
:)
Orange.
The juice limits the output in an EGT parameter, boost parameter and shift strength. I don't think the tranny is any worse for wear as the light has been on a while now (hoping the light would reset after sorting itself out) and short of the black smoke now gone, I still have 20+ pounds of boost at full throttle. The tranny oil looked cherry as well. The truck is a damn rocket on #5, but I never tow with it there. Too much smoke for the boat. Not to mention I still get in excess of 24 mpg commuting. It is not like it is slamming gears or anything.
Not to mention, I know an Alison guy... ;)
I think it is likely a glitch caused by the computer and being referrenced and attended to by the Juice. I suspect that when my inlet air temp sensor (I think that is what it is... sensor in the intake tube) got loose and fell off for a couple of days it triggered something. For some reason, the screws just do not stay tight on those with the FIPK kit. It is now loctited and zip tied in place for safekeeping.
I will try to find the code.
Thanks,
Wes

Steamin' Rice
06-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Are you sure it's a cam positon error? We've had 2 crank position ones this week on the 8.1 . What is the code # ?
I'll have to double check to get you the code#, but I'm pretty sure it was cam position error.

Kachina26
06-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Orange.
The juice limits the output in an EGT parameter, boost parameter and shift strength. I don't think the tranny is any worse for wear as the light has been on a while now (hoping the light would reset after sorting itself out) and short of the black smoke now gone, I still have 20+ pounds of boost at full throttle. The tranny oil looked cherry as well. The truck is a damn rocket on #5, but I never tow with it there. Too much smoke for the boat. Not to mention I still get in excess of 24 mpg commuting. It is not like it is slamming gears or anything.
I think it is likely a glitch caused by the computer and being referrenced and attended to by the Juice. I suspect that when my inlet air temp sensor (I think that is what it is... sensor in the intake tube) got loose and fell off for a couple of days it triggered something. For some reason, the screws just do not stay tight on those with the FIPK kit. It is now loctited and zip tied in place for safekeeping.
I will try to find the code.
Thanks,
Wes
So, what is the code?

Froggystyle
06-12-2005, 04:59 PM
So, what is the code?
Still at work. I am installing the oil cooler and the water line plumbing in the Revolution now for a hopefull water test this week when the diverters get installed.
Exhaust is done now, but was a nightmare. All hand fabbed flanges and stuff. Kind of takes all of the fun out of it making flanges from flat plate!
Just some stuff to send to powdercoat and install and we are off to the lake.
I will post the code sometime this week hopefully.
Thanks again,
Wes

mickeyfinn
06-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Found this on another site. Might be your problem:
My 2002 Duramax recently started getting poor fuel mileage (12) but runs great. I just got it back from the dealer and learned about GM Document ID#1468758. Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon Light ON as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter (I have a K&N Filter in the OEM air box). It basically says, The oil that is used on these filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.
When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.
Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.
My dealers engine scan with the tech two gave code P0101 Mass Air Flow Low Sensor code set 456 miles ago. Which is about when my mileage dropped. I was also informed my injectors checked out good.
My K&N Filter (which is still clean) has been on my truck for 30,000 miles before this happened. The dealer cleaned my MAF and installed a new AC Delco Air Filter.
I was advised this work was not warrantable and to complete a fuel mileage test with the cleaned MAF and new factory filter. Labor 65.00, Parts 18.54, Tax 4.60, Total 88.14. I will updated after my fuel mileage test.

Kachina26
06-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Still at work. I am installing the oil cooler and the water line plumbing in the Revolution now for a hopefull water test this week when the diverters get installed.
Exhaust is done now, but was a nightmare. All hand fabbed flanges and stuff. Kind of takes all of the fun out of it making flanges from flat plate!
Just some stuff to send to powdercoat and install and we are off to the lake.
I will post the code sometime this week hopefully.
Thanks again,
Wes
That boat looks awesome! What kind of speeds are you expecting to see? Also, was IMCO's split box in Powerboat Magazine a ripoff of your idea, or is this something that has been done before?

Jordy
06-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Wow, me too. He gave me a lifetime warranty on my tranny. :D

Kachina26
06-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Wow, me too. He gave me a lifetime warranty on my tranny. :D
Good for the life of the tranny?

Infomaniac
06-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Allison guy? Would that be a Topless guy? Topless's dude? LOL

Jordy
06-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Good for the life of the tranny?
Good for as long as my card says Allison on it. ;)

Kachina26
06-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Good for as long as my card says Allison on it. ;)
Allison, I thought your name was Jordy..... ;)

Jordy
06-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Allison, I thought your name was Jordy..... ;)
That's just a screen name. :D

Kachina26
06-12-2005, 06:25 PM
That's just a screen name. :D
Oh I get it, you didn't want to get a bunch of crap like Kimmy gets :D

dicudmore
06-13-2005, 08:51 AM
I'll have to double check to get you the code#, but I'm pretty sure it was cam position error.
haven't we discussed this prob before :wink:

Steamin' Rice
06-13-2005, 09:27 AM
haven't we discussed this prob before :wink:
Uhhh, yeah.. I still haven't taken it in... :boxed: